• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This book is like the Hunger Games, if the Hunger Games was super racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Fuck it. I'm going to read this book. But I'm going to make sure I read it from cover to cover....completely. fucking. drunk.

This is either going to make me laugh or make me cry.

Let's do this.

i just read the free kindle excerpt. and if i was going to read more i'd make sure i was shitfaced drunk too, because it's pretty bad so far.

Kenai

But you guys, she knows what racism feels like!

(snip)

I just... I can't.
Also, dat parenthetical.

I thought the "if such a category still exists" part would not be topped, but that...that is just something special.

I feel like I should maybe be offended but I just laughed really loudly.

How exactly is this book racist? It sounds like social commentary.

oGIYI.png

If you have power, then it makes sense to name yourself after power. Pearls are pretty, but they're useless and powerless, and those traits can be very ugly.

I think you're assuming she put a lot more thought into it than she did. Coal is black, dirty, and ugly. Pearls are pale, beautiful, and valuable. I think that's really the extent of her "symbolism".

But sometimes...coal can become diamonds.

1288220242183.jpg

You're welcome.

coals are something you throw in the chimney and set on fire
Coal is fuel. Fuel is power.
I think you're assuming she put a lot more thought into it than she did. Coal is black, dirty, and ugly. Pearls are pale, beautiful, and valuable. I think that's really the extent of her "symbolism".
This is definitely possible.
But sometimes...coal can become diamonds.

1288220242183.jpg

You're welcome.
Beautiful. :')

Monocle

I'm so looking forward to the movie.

"Ronson Bramford" is an amazing name. I think I'll bestow it on my next cat.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Both are made up of Calcium Carbonate though. Really, deep down, we are all the same.

watershed

Banned
I like that the main black character is also a hybrid beast man (I think?), its a beauty and the beast type relationship between him and the pearl girl, and she can't resist the heat. Its all so progressive.

remnant

Banned
I don't think she's racist. Just an inexperienced writer.

It is possible to talk about race and not be trying to rewrite the Turner diaries.

Is there something white that is seen in a traditionally derogatory manner?

I was trying to think of a hierarchy where white would suck and black would be awesome. There are black objects that have positive connotations, but I'm seriously struggling to think of something white that has historically and universally negative connotations.

Why would a society threatened to be eliminated by the fact that the temperature of earth has risen spend all of their time creating an elaborate caste system instead of, say, having everyone wear special suits, or just living underground or in domed cities?

I was trying to think of a hierarchy where white would suck and black would be awesome. There are black objects that have positive connotations, but I'm seriously struggling to think of something white that has historically and universally negative connotations.
Ash.
Why would a society threatened to be eliminated by the fact that the temperature of earth has risen spend all of their time creating an elaborate caste system instead of, say, having everyone wear special suits, or just living underground or in domed cities?
Welcome to humanity.

And if solar radiation has become harmful enough to be lethal to whites, it's probably going to kill blacks, too. Author thinks having melanin is a super power or something.

kswiston

Chalk, bone, paste. They may not have overwhelmingly negative connotations, but pearls are traditionally thought to be beautiful, while coal is dirty. Black people would pick ebony or obsidian if they were running stuff.

EDIT: Especially when Latinos and Asians get tiger's eyes and amber as their descriptors. everyone gets precious stones or objects that are thought to be beautiful and black people get coal...

It's possible I don't even exist, lulz. I was trolling for really bad fanfic the other day and found one where the author seriously thought if her modern day protagonists asked modern day Native Americans for help they show up on horses armed with bows and arrows...I can't...

If they don't it's their own loss. Only way to travel.

El Sloth

Banned
I wonder how many people out there don't realize that race is an arbitrary social construct and that humans actually come in all shades.
Sure. Too bad society doesn't actually work like this. Maybe my grandchildren will have better luck in that regard.

But people keep mixing up their arbritary social categories!

Sure. Too bad society doesn't actually work like this. Maybe my grandchildren will have better luck in that regard.

They won't, and it's a mistake to assume as much. Best bet is to teach children to appreciate eachother's differences, not ignore that those differences exist.

ivysaur12

Banned
also, this book, Noughts and Crosses, has a very similar premise but MUCH better reviews.

i haven't read it (don't read a lot of YA stuff) but i've heard it's good and handles the whole reverse-racism future society much better.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0552546321/

Yeah, well, there might be a story here, somewhere with this concept. But if you're going to do a story like this, you need an incredible amount of tact and intelligence about the very real themes you're playing with. This author lacks both of those qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom