• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This book is like the Hunger Games, if the Hunger Games was super racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What are Indians in this universe? Do Indians exist in this universe? Why does everyone keep forgetting we exist?

The racism in this book is so cursory that none of us actually had to read it to realize "holy shit this is racist as fuck."

What are Indians in this universe? Do Indians exist in this universe? Why does everyone keep forgetting we exist?

Pfffffffttt.

Racial equality is about correcting the social and legal balance between whites and blacks, not whites and browns dummy. Get your own civil rights movement.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
oGIYI.png

Hahaha, fucking perfect.

Pfffffffttt.

Racial equality is about correcting the social and legal balance between whites and blacks, not whites and browns dummy. Get your own civil rights movement.

"i can't respect all of you at once! One darky at a time!"

thetrin

The coals should call themselves Obsidian. Calling yourself coal willingly is fucking stupid. Just like this book.

iammeiam

She actually talks about the naming scheme in an interview:

3. The world of coals, pearls, ambers, is so unique. How much fun was it world-building and how much energy went into it?

Big fun, and a little scary too. I wrestled with some of the details of Eden’s post-apocalyptic world. For example, creating racial epithets, rather than using existing ones that are already deeply ingrained in our culture, seemed the best way of turning long-standing prejudices upside down. I played with different ideas, and even used animal names at one point, but they also carried too much baggage. Then the idea of using simple, earthy things to represent the different races struck me. The words pearl, coal, tiger’s eye, amber, and cotton all represent beautiful natural things, just as all races are equally beautiful. Of course, these invented racial terms also tie into the environmental theme, and initially create mystery, too. That was a good day’s work.

Other things I have learned from reading interviews:

1.) "Ronson Bramford" is really intentionally based on Richard Branson, she seriously did that on purpose.
2.) The author is team Jacob.
3.) Humanity's salvation may or may not involve everyone turning into furries:

In Save The Pearls Part Two, Adapting Eden, the past comes back to haunt Eden and Bramford. If Eden thought life and love challenged her before, the stakes ratchet even higher. She must fight to save those she loves against impossible odds, testing herself beyond her limits—in love and physical strength—while the countdown to humanity’s extinction continues. Ultimately, her journey takes her from oppressed, fearful girl to an alpha babe, or in this case, a Jaguar Babe. I’ll tell you, being in her beastly head is quite a thrilling ride!

I guess making everyone part-animal is one way to convey the message that race doesn't matter.

4.) I need better things to do with my Saturday afternoons.

So she could have made this novel without the racist overtones.

If her interviews are to be believed, the only reason there's a novel is because she wanted to answer the question "What if global warming made white people ugly?" Magic cancer is just the plot excuse she came up with.

If her interviews are to be believed, the only reason there's a novel is because she wanted to answer the question "What if global warming made white people ugly?" Magic cancer is just the plot excuse she came up with.

It's like she doesn't realize the hatred of darker skin among more insular cultures is not that they're physically inferior but it's class based. Working in the fields nets people a tan. This coupled with other racism basically being used to justify slavery and imperialism means she doesn't know what the fuck she's doing given the parameters she's set up.

3.) Humanity's salvation may or may not involve everyone turning into furries:

I guess making everyone part-animal is one way to convey the message that race doesn't matter.

Ronsom began to twitch his legs.

"Oh, Eden," he growled playfully, "Everyone thought that the extra bone and muscles in the legs of coals gave us our rhythm and sprinting skills. Now, behold their true purpose."

Eden raised a hand to her mouth in astonishment as Ronsom transformed into a mighty - and virile - black panther, symbol of the primal jungle.

iammeiam

"Oh, Eden," he growled playfully, "Everyone thought that the extra bone and muscles in the legs of coals gave us our rhythm and sprinting skills. Now, behold their true purpose."

Eden raised a hand to her mouth in astonishment as Ronsom transformed into a mighty - and virile - black panther, symbol of the primal jungle.

I just got to the last interview on the list--this one--where the author provides a snippet that is supposed to convey the true relationship between the main girl and the guy. This starts off like it's going to be a sex scene, but it's not:
The forest sounds dropped away, replaced by the rapid pounding of her heart. Eden forgot the passing scenery and their destination. Only the hot press of his hands on her bare skin, the tilt of his head brushing her inner leg, and her burning ache consumed her. The more pleasure she experienced, the bolder his touch grew. Now his hand trailed up and down the whole of her leg.
She dared to test the boundaries of their body language and flexed her thighs around his neck. Unbelievably, his gait slowed. A feverish thrill shot through Eden. She could guide Bramford with a mere squeeze.
Did she dare push him further? She couldn’t resist the wild urge to flick her hips against his shoulders. At once he picked up speed. She almost squealed—his raw animal power was at her command.

The passage the author chooses as insight into the relationship literally has the girl riding on the beastly coal guy's shoulders, guiding him like a horse.

magicstop

Oh my god, you're good.

I just got to the last interview on the list--this one--where the author provides a snippet that is supposed to convey the true relationship between the main girl and the guy. This starts off like it's going to be a sex scene, but it's not:

* Passage *

The passage the author chooses as insight into the relationship literally has the girl riding on the beastly coal guy's shoulders, guiding him like a horse.

434539_o.gif

ladies, if your beast man rubs the back of his head against your cooch and gives you the burning ache, please go to a doctor immediately

thetrin

What? How is this even a question she had on her mind?

wait a minute

seeing EmCeeGramr post in here just made me realize that this book is about...

operation caliphate

oh my god

The final step of Operation Caliphate is in motion on the unsuspecting masses, under the disguise of an ignorant old white woman.

The revolution will not be televised.

El Sloth

Banned

oh my

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?

Holy damn, how did I miss this gem? Wow.

The final step of Operation Caliphate is in motion on the unsuspecting masses, under the disguise of an ignorant old white woman.

The revolution will not be televised.

Lines of middle aged white fathers lining up outside of Wesley's house, offering their disgusting pearl daughters. Mr. Snipes reluctantly accepting and discarding them like tissue.

Don Cheadle on the 500 dollar bill. Emperor Obama building a immigration proof fence at the Canadian boarder to cease the migration to The South.

Bullet train to Zamunda.

Arsenio Hall breaking broadcasting records with his new late night show.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
lets be positive. this book will also get me copious amounts of pussy

wmTb0.gif

thetrin

Skin cancer affects people with lower melatonin the most, and the ozone's depletion makes UV rays more prevalent.

I don't know how she created this book from that.

No, I know that, but the question is still stupid.

Takao

Banned
She actually talks about the naming scheme in an interview:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but does anyone actually think coal is pretty? It's dirty, and we burn it for a reason. All of her other names do come off as beautiful things in nature (okay, cotton isn't what I'd think of as beautiful either), but supposedly the highest class of people are known as the worst thing? Uh...

"But Wayne Brady... Morgan Freeman, Ice T, they were so charming," sobs one young white mother in a food line. "Now look at where we are for our Christma- I- I mean... !"

The guards, with mechanical precision, pry her away from her children and drag her to the train station. Camp Kwanzaa awaits for reeducation.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I feel like this is relevant, somehow:

iMGKjfgRtsMud.bmp

iGNgb86AhVijF.bmp

ipi89kdOmSHrZ.bmp

"But Wayne Brady... Morgan Freeman, Ice T, they were so charming," sobs one young white mother in a food line. "Now look at where we are for our Christma- I- I mean... !"

The guards, with mechanical precision, pry her away from her children and drag her to the train station. Camp Kwanzaa awaits for reeducation.

LOL Camp Kwanzaa

ReiGun

Fuck! lmao

iammeiam

Lines of middle aged white fathers lining up outside of Wesley's house, offering their disgusting pearl daughters. Mr. Snipes reluctantly accepting and discarding them like tissue.

Don Cheadle on the 500 dollar bill. Emperor Obama building a immigration proof fence at the Canadian boarder to cease the migration to The South.

Bullet train to Zamunda.

Arsenio Hall breaking broadcasting records with his new late night show.

She actually in one interview says the highest mate rating would probably go to somebody like Jay-Z.

At least until the jaguar-snake-eagle beast-man thing happens, I assume then he shoots to the top of the list.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?

Whoa! Whoa! Save some for the prequel novel why don't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom