• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 is depressingly disappointing....

I'm so confused how people take that tweet and turn it negative. Hell, even a random picture of what looked like a morning meeting is immediately turned negative. God damn, negativity is contagious.

Dre3001

uwotm8.png

Has it all been contradictory?

Almost every gaming outlet has had mostly negative impressions over the first tech test. If this is their attitude over the changes then they better start brushing up their resume' because the Titanfall franchise will be done after 2.

razzel

uwotm8.png

Oh snap, I was feeling bad about cancelling the preorder so quickly, but this just solidifies that big changes are not incoming.

Happy for people who enjoy the new direction, and happy for myself that I have one less game to buy lol.

Are contradictions ever positive?

Someone says they love how you enter titans in third person and someone says they love entering titans in first person. These are 2 pieces of feedback that contradict each other. That is neither positive or negative, it's just feedback that differs from one person to the next.

And aside from that, both people in this example can be satisfied by giving the option to the player. So the process can yield improvements that satisfy both crowds. How people are taking that tweet and crying about it is amazing. He is just saying they try to consider all feedback, in response to someone suggesting they should consider all feedback.

breadtruck

Welp.

This game is fucked then. So instead of listening to the vocal majority this time, they're ignoring us because of the vocal minority last time?

Christ.

Are we the vocal majority? Or the new vocal minority?
I dont even know anymore.

All I know is that I really hope this game has a beta near launch and we see a lot of these unfortunate changes fixed.

I am a big fan of Titanfall, but so far this new one is no fun. A single player mode isnt going to change that either.

Rising_Hei

One thing i've learnt after many years is that developers are better off not listening to anybody and just doing wathever they want and wathever they think is best...

We've got many horrible online experiences for trusting feedback too much (Resistance 2 being the #1 that comes to my mind)

Well here is Fukuda talking about slowing the MP down..

http://www.shacknews.com/article/96446/titanfall-2-game-director-on-a-slower-paced-multiplayer

Pretty mind boggling that they wanted to slow everything down. Speed and lots of routes was one of the things that set Titanfall apart.

That interview pretty much sums up the map situation. Making everything more predictable and slower. Focusing on the "lanes". Can't say I'm a big fan of that approach as CoD does that in spades already.

There were some enjoyable moments in TF2 but it's not a guaranteed purchase like it was before I played the tech test. And to pre-empt any questions of how much I played TF1, I put in over 400 hours spread across multiple modes (except Pilot Hunter, that sucked.)

Raw bars

Banned
I feel the same I loaded it up, couldn't even invite my friends had to YouTube a way to play with them in the same team, didn't really work. but it didn't matter I only played one game, not even a full match everything felt so cod like and different. I quit in the middle of the match and Uninstalled.

Tl:Dr, it was whack

E92 M3

They are afraid of their own game

The game is very fast and you can see the kind of movements advanced players make.

Playtesting probably forced a change, if I had to guess

Jawmuncher

They are afraid of their own game

The game is very fast and you can see the kind of movements advanced players make.

Playtesting probably forced a change, if I had to guess

Which is just weird to me. I still play Titanfall 1 from time to time and am no pro, but I can hop in a game get the top 3 easily on my team if not the entire game and go from there. I haven't even mastered the mechanics people talk about in here. About the only time I ever felt like I was getting my ass beat would be the smart pistol with certain burn cards attached.

SwolBro

Banned
I'm so confused how people take that tweet and turn it negative. Hell, even a random picture of what looked like a morning meeting is immediately turned negative. God damn, negativity is contagious.
Right? it's insane. Once you get that negativity ball rollin online that shit don't stop.

Well here is Fukuda talking about slowing the MP down..
Pretty mind boggling that they wanted to slow everything down. Speed and lots of routes was one of the things that set Titanfall apart.
There's nothing mind boggling about it. He said a "notch" a fucking "notch". If they increase the wall runs to how they are now so you don't feel stuck soon as you hit a wall, and if the maps are decent for parkour this game is going to be just as fast and possibly faster considering the slide mechanic and what people are already doing with it.

And can we stop pretending that the maps in Titanfall 1 were all amazing. There's a ton of crappy maps in the game that is awful for pilot parkouring. Some of the maps took MONTHS and i mean MONTHS for people to figure out a decent route. If they decided to make the maps more distinguishable, with clear routes to take, there's nothing wrong with that.

It's like taking bunny hopping out of quake 3, you just don't,
Can't argue that. I wish they did not take bunny hopping out. I don't know why they did that, i'd like an answer to it.

Simplifying everything were the key words. I am not honestly a fan of catering to the lowest common denominator - there are already games for that.
No offense but how do you know you're not in this "lowest common denominator" ? are you on pc or console?

Which is just weird to me. I still play Titanfall 1 from time to time and am no pro, but I can hop in a game get the top 3 easily on my team if not the entire game and go from there. I haven't even mastered the mechanics people talk about in here. About the only time I ever felt like I was getting my ass beat would be the smart pistol with certain burn cards attached.
That's probably because you stayed within attrition. You're not going to find tier 1 players in that mode unless they happen to randomly decide to play attrition. Most of the time you'll play with your average titanfall player, even the good attrition players are average at best when it comes to movement.

People are sensitive as fuck if they take offense to that tweet. Jesus fucking christ.
Yeah, its easy to see how each individual change from TF1 could be seen as a negative, unnecessary, or an improvement on the formula depending upon the audience giving their feedback. What may have been part of the magic for new players or more casual players could be seen as a detriment to organized team or high level competitive play. To those who value immersion and chaos over others that want clear systems and predictability and balance at the edge of the skill ceiling. And between those who think that Titans should be seen as a reward for skilled play and those who prefer the mindset that results when Titans are predictable and automatically acquired.

Obviously Respawn is aware of the negativity - but nailing down the exact pain points and how representative the audience is that complains about feature X or feature Y takes some data gathering, reporting and interpretation.

Jawmuncher

Right? it's insane. Once you get that negativity ball rollin online that shit don't stop.

There's nothing mind boggling about it. He said a "notch" a fucking "notch". If they increase the wall runs to how they are now so you don't feel stuck soon as you hit a wall, and if the maps are decent for parkour this game is going to be just as fast and possibly faster considering the slide mechanic and what people are already doing with it.

And can we stop pretending that the maps in Titanfall 1 were all amazing. There's a ton of crappy maps in the game that is awful for pilot parkouring. Some of the maps took MONTHS and i mean MONTHS for people to figure out a decent route. If they decided to make the maps more distinguishable, with clear routes to take, there's nothing wrong with that.

Can't argue that. I wish they did not take bunny hopping out. I don't know why they did that, i'd like an answer to it.

No offense but how do you know you're not in this "lowest common denominator" ? are you on pc or console?

That's probably because you stayed within attrition. You're not going to find tier 1 players in that mode unless they happen to randomly decide to play attrition. Most of the time you'll play with your average titanfall player, even the good attrition players are average at best when it comes to movement.

That's like the only mode that has a healthy player base. All things considered though, I don't exactly mind not playing with pros.

I'm inspired to download TF1 again, on PC. Long story short, I'll have to play on low settings since my current GPU is not great.

Just gotta wait for the hour long audio decompression.

E92 M3

Wut? I am talking about design decisions to bring in more people that got "overwhelmed." with TF1. Designers need to stay true to their vision - that's exactly what Miyazaki did with the Souls franchise.

If a game is difficult, I learn it. Is that what you're implying?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, the game is really fun man.

Impossible to say. Download the test and try it for yourself.

Absolutely not. Why haven't you tried the free demo?

You have to try it yourself. It's better than COD, but a bit similar in some ways. Next weekend is the next test.

don't worry dude it's just gaf being gaf

the game will be fun to play when its all said and done.

I haven't played the first game or CoD and I did not like Titanfall 2. I was hyped to play but the demo was really disappointing.

FWIW, that describes me, and I've really enjoyed it.

Thanks for the replies/reassurance, all!
Didn't realise it was a completely open/free test. Will definitely give it a look this weekend!

eifer

I haven't tried it, but the gameplay video that I watched from earlier in this thread (that was presented as evidence to how bad the game is) seems to look like a pretty fun game, not too far from the original Titanfall.

So okay... someone needs to accurately explain how earning a titan works. The OP says you earn it via killstreak. That is clearly wrong.

Other people say you earn it by gaining score, but the meter resets itself upon death so people called it scorestreak. Also apparently wrong, at least based on the footage I have watched.

Again, I am pointing this all out for clarity's sake and since I don't own a console since 2012~ I can only go by observing people's streamed foootage.

So it looks like you have 2 bars. 1 bar is blue and 1 is yellow. Yellow seems to reset on death and when you aren't doing anything it slowly drains, the blue bar appears to be permanent. Eventually you earn a titan just by playing the game. You don't need to kill streak or score streak because you don't lose all titan progress on death.

It's almost insane reading people quoting the OP saying you need to killstreak and then saying "fuck it I'm out", when it isn't even accurate.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So okay... someone needs to accurately explain how earning a titan works. The OP says you earn it via killstreak. That is clearly wrong.

Other people say you earn it by gaining score, but the meter resets itself upon death so people called it scorestreak. Also apparently wrong, at least based on the footage I have watched.

Again, I am pointing this all out for clarity's sake and since I don't own a console since 2012~ I can only go by observing people's streamed foootage.

So it looks like you have 2 bars. 1 bar is blue and 1 is yellow. Yellow seems to reset on death and when you aren't doing anything it slowly drains, the blue bar appears to be permanent. Eventually you earn a titan just by playing the game. You don't need to kill streak or score streak because you don't lose all titan progress on death.

It's almost insane reading people quoting the OP saying you need to killstreak and then saying "fuck it I'm out", when it isn't even accurate.

You gain it by doing mostly anything. Killing AI, pilots, doing damage to titans.

I honestly have no idea how you lock in the yellow bar, since it never felt consistent to me. Sometimes I would have a very large(over 40%) bar that, when you aren't actively accomplishing anything, would be depleting, and if I would it would get wiped out. But yeah, blue is permanent progress. It was the most apparent in hardpoint to me, sitting on the objective would just keep giving you permanent chunks of progress.

uwotm8.png

Yes. A ton of people are giving feedback and criticisms that are negative. And a smaller amount are giving positive feedback. So I guess that is technically contradictory...? Hopefully Respawn can figure out the tough math to balance out these contradictory statements though.

Ashhong

I think by contradictory he means he is reading suggestions that say one thing, and then suggestions that contradict the first. I haven't read any myself but it seems like that's what he's implying

You can lose progress towards a Titan. That's the core change. It's a pretty big, pretty unnecessary one.

I really don't see it as a big departure tbh. Unless you're literally sitting there doing nothing, you're going to get your titan similar to how you got it in tf1.

The yellow bar seems more like a bonus progress bar which you can lose. This is perhaps meant to give different playstyles strategy towards earning your titan. If you're playing aggressively, you risk losing the progress and being set back by the time it takes to respawn, but when you succeed you get your titan before everyone else. But if your goal is to have the titan to call down when you need to counter their titans, you may play more cautiously and earn your titan more slowly and avoiding death.

I don't think they just made the new system and threw it in there without a reason, at the very least.

Keasar

Phew, now that's over with, can finally say what I think.

Removal of A.I soldiers around the battlefield increases the downtime where nothing happens when playing. In TF1 when playing Hardpoint I could go to point A where either I would find other players or I would find at least some A.I soldiers to shoot, there would be a guarantee to always be something to do. In TF2 I could be standing around on point A doing absolutely nothing for 40 seconds first capturing it and then amping it, with no players attacking or any soldier A.I entertaining me it became quickly boring. Also, in TF1, using A.I soldiers to boost my Titan meter while getting from point A to point B without stopping was a excellent way to pass time and get Titan meter points on the large maps, encouraged skill and also had a very euphoric feeling. A.I soldiers were never a real obstacle apart from a few times ever in over 100 hours played they would get a lucky shot and actually kill me.

The map design feels a lot less thought through than TF1, with the maps having less "lanes" of movement for pilots that slows them down a lot. The big "Outback" map or whatever it was called had for example these two huge open spaces with some trees that were total death zones for pilots. There were no rocks, vegetation, walls, anything that pilots could use to get around on. TF1 would sometimes have these as well but they were generally always surrounded by something the pilots could use to get around quickly. Interiors of many buildings were a lot smaller, had less opportunity to wallrun inside of. However, I am very inexperienced to play with a controller so I would rather like to give all this another go on the PC (who were known to be the platform were players used movement a lot more than console players).

Titan combat. Hated the new meter. For a game called Titanfall there were very little Titans falling during a match and it is largely due to the meter that now only gives players Titans based on kills, not time + kills. This I heard in a LevelCapGaming video is gonna change back to the timer based one so that's good. However, there is still a lot of faults with Titans in this game that I think TF1 did better. I'd like to have the old armour and shield system back. The shields have been replaced by this Battery thing and while I suppose it encourages teamwork, it isn't just that fun considering what was removed. The new rodeo system with a canned animation feels very boring compared to the old one where it was all about skill Titan vs. Pilot, like, you know, a rodeo, of trying to take it out or as a Titan trying to get rid of the pilot. I also didn't like that they have removed one Dash on all Titans. Medium titans only got one Dash per default, Heavy got none. It slows down combat a lot until you finally unlock that Titan Dash perk so you can get back that extra missing Dash charge, or in the case of Heavy titans, be able to Dash at all. I think it would have been better if that perk was to grant an extra Dash ontop of the regular amount instead.

That's some of it, just gonna quickly go through these last things:
Do not like the third person animations for Titan embarking or executions, I liked it much better when it was all in first person. Nothing as cool as sliding underneath your Titan and seeing a giant hand come down and scoop you up. Also feels less jarring with none of the perspective jumping, I felt more disoriented cause of it.

Bounty mode, I think it has potential to be better than Attrition. It does focus players around certain hotspots that increases activity between players in ways that Attrition did not. See my post about why I think Attrition was a badly made game mode compared to, for example, Hardpoint.

Grapple hook, fuckin' awesome. Sadly only available to one character "class".

More weapons that takes advantage of the sci-fi setting, great!

Also, TTK, too short when the overall gameplay have been slowed down. I can understand if I am shot with a sniper rifle (which actually used to be difficult before) but now I feel I am instantly dead if I attempt to move about.

No PC Tech test? Please, need to try it on my primary platform to give some proper feedback. :(

Titan combat. Hated the new meter. For a game called Titanfall there were very little Titans falling during a match and it is largely due to the meter that now only gives players Titans based on kills, not time + kills. This I heard in a LevelCapGaming video is gonna change back to the timer based one so that's good. However, there is still a lot of faults with Titans in this game that I think TF1 did better. I'd like to have the old armour and shield system back. The shields have been replaced by this Battery thing and while I suppose it encourages teamwork, it isn't just that fun considering what was removed. The new rodeo system with a canned animation feels very boring compared to the old one where it was all about skill Titan vs. Pilot, like, you know, a rodeo, of trying to take it out or as a Titan trying to get rid of the pilot. I also didn't like that they have removed one Dash on all Titans. Medium titans only got one Dash per default, Heavy got none. It slows down combat a lot until you finally unlock that Titan Dash perk so you can get back that extra missing Dash charge, or in the case of Heavy titans, be able to Dash at all. I think it would have been better if that perk was to grant an extra Dash ontop of the regular amount instead.

That's some of it, just gonna quickly go through these last things:
Do not like the third person animations for Titan embarking or executions, I liked it much better when it was all in first person. Nothing as cool as sliding underneath your Titan and seeing a giant hand come down and scoop you up. Also feels less jarring with none of the perspective jumping, I felt more disoriented cause of it.

Bounty mode, I think it has potential to be better than Attrition. It does focus players around certain hotspots that increases activity between players in ways that Attrition did not. See my post about why I think Attrition was a badly made game mode compared to, for example, Hardpoint.

Grapple hook, fuckin' awesome. Sadly only available to one character "class".

More weapons that takes advantage of the sci-fi setting, great!

No PC Tech test? Please, need to try it on my primary platform to give some proper feedback. :(

The LC bit about Titans going back to a timer i'm cool with. The new rodeo and battery mechanics are in my opinion a vast improvement over simply jumping up top and pulling the right trigger. The entire battery teamwork meta that came around during the tech test was great! You'd have teammates calling for batteries and runners with batteries asking who needed a recharge and then flying across the map on a grapple to deliver it and then get back in the battle. Very cool IMO.

All titans get 1 dash if you so chose. Its under the customization section. You unlock that. So for titans that start with 1 youll then get 2 dashes. Titans that start with none youll get 1 dash.

I also hope the 3rd person view gets replaced by 1st person. It's jarring at times and really messes with your orientation.

Agreed on Bounty Hunt. It's Attrition but with more nuance and requires more teammwork and strategy. I loved it! Only thing i wish that the AI spawns werent in the same spot each time and that the banks were maybe moving throughout the match or something. I mean hey, they're big mech spiders... would be cool to have them both walking around the map so it's harder to camp the bank.

Grapple needs to be standard equipment for all classes. The maps are very much designed around it and it just feels slower without it.

Also bummer about no PC tech test. I get that the data miners would rip into it but that's still a shame.

Keasar

The LC bit about Titans going back to a timer i'm cool with. The new rodeo and battery mechanics are in my opinion a vast improvement over simply jumping up top and pulling the right trigger. The entire battery teamwork meta that came around during the tech test was great! You'd have teammates calling for batteries and runners with batteries asking who needed a recharge and then flying across the map on a grapple to deliver it and then get back in the battle. Very cool IMO.

All titans get 1 dash if you so chose. Its under the customization section. You unlock that. So for titans that start with 1 youll then get 2 dashes. Titans that start with none youll get 1 dash.

I disagree on the rodeo and battery. I liked it way better since it felt like I was a active participant on the combat and like all gameplay in TF1, control was never taken from me. I could also shoot at other people from atop an enemy Titan which was awesome to be able to do. If anything, I would have preferred if they had the regular rodeo mechanic and then let you as a alternate attack pull out a grenade (from your belt so it would actually cost you a grenade) and then jump off. Sort of as a finishing attack.

The battery mechanic didn't really sell me. I can understand the appeal of the potential teamwork but it rarely came up. And unless they put in a some sort of Quick Command action, it is very hard to communicate as most people I played with got muted due to being annoying as hell to listen to. :p

I did point out how Dash worked. Mediums get 1. Heavy get 0. Light (when they are in) probably will get 2 and you can upgrade this with a perk. I still stand however that I would have liked if Heavy 1, Medium 2 and Light 3 was the standard and you could equip a perk to give yourself an extra dash ontop of that at the expense of something else. The fast paces Titan combat was one of the things I loved about TF1, being able to weave between buildings using that dash felt great and did wonders. Letting Heavy Titans have at least one way of dodging out of combats should be standard.

I did point out how Dash worked. Mediums get 1. Heavy get 0. Light (when they are in) probably will get 2 and you can upgrade this with a perk. I still stand however that I would have liked if Heavy 1, Medium 2 and Light 3 was the standard and you could equip a perk to give yourself an extra dash ontop of that at the expense of something else. The fast paces Titan combat was one of the things I loved about TF1, being able to weave between buildings using that dash felt great and did wonders. Letting Heavy Titans have at least one way of dodging out of combats should be standard.

Whoops... didn't see you mentioned the perk. Sorry about that!

I'm curious to see what the last 3 titans look like and how they move. Could be that we've only played the super slow of the bunch. We know that Ronin (the last of the 3 announced/shown) is very fast and can even phase dash (disappear during a "super dash" if you will and teleport) and there are rumors that another of the unannounced 3 can fly... so maybe we'll see the fast paced titan combat but just not with every single titan. Starting with 6 now is awesome though!

LiK

What is this killstreak nonsense? I haven't kept up but if that's the way to get a Titan then fuck this game.

zou

So I hit up support in order to cancel my preorder and they told me they can't? Apparently I have to wait until 10 days before release?

Is that really their policy? If so, it's fucking ridiculous.

Keasar

Whoops... didn't see you mentioned the perk. Sorry about that!

I'm curious to see what the last 3 titans look like and how they move. Could be that we've only played the super slow of the bunch. We know that Ronin (the last of the 3 announced/shown) is very fast and can even phase dash (disappear during a "super dash" if you will and teleport) and there are rumors that another of the unannounced 3 can fly... so maybe we'll see the fast paced titan combat but just not with every single titan. Starting with 6 now is awesome though!

Though you'll have to remember that yes, you get 6 Titans but they are now characters that you can tweak slightly. They are not like Titanfall 1 where you could customize their weapon loadout etc.

E92 M3

It's still there. It's just not available as soon as you spawn. It charges up like your boost. Honestly not sure how i feel about it set up like this. It's SUPER easy to escape depending on when the pilot hits it too.

Really? How did I miss this. Is it on Ion? Did not see anyway to use it and survived for a while with my Titans.

What is this killstreak nonsense? I haven't kept up but if that's the way to get a Titan then fuck this game.

Earning titans is no longer based on a timer (which you could speed up depending on how well you're playing). It's now based on your score, which is a direct reflection of your kills/captures/etc. much like Call of Duty.

The result is that if you're poorly in a particular match, you will likely only get a single titan per game.

Izuna

Banned
I'll be able to play this PoS when it comes back online. I'll record my gameplay and everything. Anyone who wants to help me be disappointed, my gamertag is Cobalt Izuna

=(

Really? How did I miss this. Is it on Ion? Did not see anyway to use it and survived for a while with my Titans.

Sure is. It's hard to miss. It's the little cloud icon with the blue thunderbolt in it on the bottom left to the right of your Titan meter above the Vortex Shield icon. It only appears then when you have it available to you and it's activated by hitting left on the d-pad.

Xater

So I hit up support in order to cancel my preorder and they told me they can't? Apparently I have to wait until 10 days before release?

Is that really their policy? If so, it's fucking ridiculous.

Which platform? That doesn't sound right.

Top Bottom