• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak, All Info In OP)

Yeah I know. The post was younger in cheek. Just making fun of the MS PR circus that's been going on within the gaming media lately.

2yke79u-2.gif

i-Lo

A general term for internet resources at a distance. It can be used to refer to storage, or to processing. In this context, Microsoft has a platform for developing applications that use the processing power of their servers, called Azure. Amazon has one called EC2. Basically devs and pubs have access to a bunch of processing power in a Microsoft server farm which they can use to process stuff for their games. But there are limits in what distributed (another word for "cloud") processing can do because of latency/lag.

Which when MS says makes the system around 4 times as powerful as the local unit clearly mean that there will be no such thing as lag, right?

Klocker

We can rent servers from companies that can do that stuff.

worldwide deployment for low latency infrastructure using dedicated hardware is not that cheap...

Again MS is investing in this infrastructure at user cost for all of the games and devs to use.... not trivial and much more practical than renting

Exactly. This is how Bioshock and Dead Rising both went down. Microsoft doesn't need a full on exclusive. They just need the game long enough on just their system so that it draws attention. By the time it comes out on the PS4, the hype surrounding it will be minimal.

Unfortunately this is true.

For as much as GAF thinks that MS is killing themselves with "the core", they really are establishing themselves to capture a wide audience between kinect/all in one tv/ and Titan Fall / CoD Ghosts calling the XBO home for the most part.

CoD took years to build up its name and now it sells on that alone. Respawn would need to do a lot of things right to even get close to those type of numbers. We havent even seen this thing in motion yet so lets relax a bit. This game might be very good, it might be okay and it might be a turd, who knows. Also, this sounds like a timed exclusive so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say its not a system winning game.

The open beta is what really pushed CoD4 into the stratosphere. If they have one for this game and it takes off this could be huge for MS.

patapuf

Dismissing Microsoft's Azure cloud stuff as "just dedicated servers" is a joke. I can go buy a nice rack server, host it on an awesome connection, and host a TF2 server on it and BAM dedicated server.

On the flip side you can't just go buy the massive resources that Microsoft has and have an infrastructure like Azure where you can spin up virtual servers and combine them to use massive amounts of memory and processor.

Of course you can, Amazon has good cloud infrastructure for rent, Sony has their own server clusters, as do other companies.

MS has a new shiny server farm. That's a good thing, but it's nothing revolutionary nor something "exclusive" only MS - or the Xbone - can provide. They even sell their cloud computing software to other companies..

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why bother with a full one year exclusive? Nobody will buy it a year later

Evidently EA and Take Two were happy with whatever happened with Bioshock and Mass Effect 2. I think it's bizarre but obviously they have lowered expectations.

Gumbie

Can you elaborate on the difference between a dedicated server and a cloud computer?

Dedicated server is a souped up server usually with one purpose in mind. Microsoft's Azure has the ability to use clusters which is basically using the combined power of lots and lots of dedicated servers to crunch data. Depending on the load or power needed their system is smart enough to scale and use it's resources for whatever the current load is demanding.

sleepykyo

Would some of you think before you post. If your logic is correct then Xbone will have an awful launch as well as this is a Spring 2014 game.

My goodness.

How does that apply to the Xbone? The Xbone will launching with major guaranteed exclusives like Ryse that Microsoft is publishing and Titanfall as a full on exclusive. Meanwhile all Sony gets is a mission on AC4 and something minor dlc for Destiny. That speaks volumes about the relative abilities to secure exclusive content.

Evidently EA and Take Two were happy with whatever happened with Bioshock and Mass Effect 2. I think it's bizarre but obviously they have lowered expectations.

T2 got stuck spending the rest of the generation trying to build the PS3 userbase. ie. Being one of the few companies that licensed a character to Sony's poor attempt at a melee game and giving away copies of Bioshock.

How does that apply to the Xbone? The Xbone will launching with major guaranteed exclusives like Ryse that Microsoft is publishing and Titanfall as a full on exclusive. Meanwhile all Sony gets is a mission on AC4 and something minor dlc for Destiny. That speaks volumes about the relative abilities to secure exclusive content.

Are we ignoring Sony first party here?

Because that seems like a silly thing to do.

mbmonk

worldwide deployment for low latency infrastructure using dedicated hardware is not that cheap...

Again MS is investing in this infrastructure at user cost for all of the games and devs to use.... not trivial and much more practical than renting

I guess I am just not blown away by the sheer number of servers. Seems like everything is using internet servers from games, to office products, phone apps, google chrome, etc.

I feel like server resources are ubiquitous at this point. It's not some amazing edge that can't be replicated.

Maybe I am insane and completely off base. If so I apologize.

Assuming "Destiny" releases in Spring 2014 also, wouldn't that kill the sales of "TitanFall" if released around the same time? Two always online FPS' except one is available for PS4, PS3, 360, and Xbox One from a developer with a great pedigree

PhatSaqs

Banned
Titanfall is 2014 bro...

Right because the PS4 won't get third party exclusives?

Gumbie

Of course you can, Amazon has good cloud infrastructure for rent, Sony has their own server clusters, as do other companies.

MS has a new shiny server farm. That's a good thing, but it's nothing revolutionary nor something "exclusive" only MS can provide. They even sell their cloud computing software to other companies..

I'm with you 100%. The availability is not at question...Azure and Amazon cloud stuff has been around for awhile but I don't think a game developer has ever had this level of access to this much computing power. I'm not saying the technology is new at all.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Sounds interesting but I wonder how they'd mange to balance it out properly

Also is this the only thing that came out of the leaked issue? Or was it supposed to be a pre e3 thing

Proelite

Can you elaborate on the difference between a dedicated server and a cloud computer?

You can from Amazon, but it'll be wayyyyy more expensive than Microsoft renting from Microsoft.

Cloud computer is adaptable in terms of how many servers you need at a time with the a granularity of seconds.

Games will share a pool of servers and each game will get resources depending on load. Dedicated servers are more static and usually are setup for a single game only.

As long as MS is still around, every game will have a server for it. They'll just have one server host all the VMS for "dead" games.

PS4 is launching Spring 2014? How is this a launch issue?
And as this only cements "an awful US launch" what else indicates and awful PS4 launch in the US?

yeah, rather silly. Especially crazy to say right before e3 and the (hopeful) megatons dropped by all three console makers.

Is the infinite power of the cloud going to be locked behind a gold pay wall? Regardless with the online nature of games now it seems like a lot if these games may require a gold subscription.

mbmonk

Dedicated server is a souped up server usually with one purpose in mind. Microsoft's Azure has the ability to use clusters which is basically using the combined power of lots and lots of dedicated servers to crunch data. Depending on the load or power needed their system is smart enough to scale and use it's resources for whatever the current load is demanding.

Thanks. That make sense. I would be interested in seeing what game would require that much server side calculation that a dedicated server could not handle it. That would be interesting.

EDIT: MMOs.. probably?

This game was one of the reasons I wanted X1, now that I know it will hit PS4, that just takes it away.

That doesn't mean it can't change. If it does Gears numbers then there's nothing from stopping Microsoft moneyhatting exclusivity later.

Of course I don't see it being necessary in 2015. Damage done.

Proelite

Thanks that make sense. I would be interested in seeing what game would require that much server side calculation that a dedicated server could not handle it. That would be interesting.

Thousands of AI and players with actual physics and game world interaction might require computation jobs map-reduced to multiple machines. Pretty easy to change your game code to do it.

Though I don't think launch games would be doing that.

Top Bottom