• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TitanFall (EA/Respawn, PC/XB1/360, Spring 2014, Game Informer Leak, All Info In OP)

PhatSaqs

Banned
Hmm. Is the PS4 Ram not capable of handling the cloud computations they need? They say it was impossible to target current gen... So they do it anyway by giving it to another studio? I just don't get it.
Giving it to another studio is not them (Respawn) targeting anything of the sort. That's the publisher.

Hmm. Is the PS4 Ram not capable of handling the cloud computations they need? They say it was impossible to target current gen... So they do it anyway by giving it to another studio? I just don't get it.

The game looks pretty cool though. PC would be the platform I buy it for.

well computing cpu and ram memory is different. they're just saying that what ms lack in ram, they make up for it in cloud computing.

Proelite

When your average physical server in Azure has 64+ GB of ram and intel xeons, nope.

I am guessing hosting the gameworld + AI + physics on servers requires more ram and cpu power than what's available in the next consoles.

Dlacy13g

"GI points how that the Xbox One has 5GB of GDDR3 ram available to devs, whereas PS4 has 8GB DDR5 ram"

Wow, that is amazing...so the PS4 has no OS at all, and all 8GB are given to the devs. Modern miracles never cease to amaze me.

dancmc

LOL; I shouldn't have questioned!!! But it will be interesting to see how it actually plays out. I huge win for MS (which I am sure was nicely paid for). Can't wait to see the game in action next week and download the issue when it's back up!!

Erasus

Yes. But a bit more advanced.

Dedicated server = single thread cpu. Games can't take advantage of more than 1 hardware server at a time.
Cloud = multi-threaded cpu. Game code can be map-reduced to take advantage of multiple hardware servers.

Dedicated servers cant be multicore now? Wth is this post?

jwhit28

I'm not convinced it will be a great game just because it is from the 'creators of Call of Duty'.

It is still worth being excited about. I don't think one game has had such an effect on a whole genre this much since Street Fighter II and now they get to step away from CoD and try all over again.

Well dang this is a rather big piece of news to wake up to. I'm excited to see this game in action next week and rather happy about the fact that obviously Microsoft isn't ignoring big games to get a year of exclusivity. Definite incentive to buy this console.

The only thing worrying me is the constant talk of kinect integration. If its too much then I'm out, but if its simple crap like voice commands then they're not really giving me a good reason as to why its compulsory.

"GI points how that the Xbox One has 5GB of GDDR3 ram available to devs, whereas PS4 has 8GB DDR5 ram"

Wow, that is amazing...so the PS4 has no OS at all, and all 8GB are given to the devs. Modern miracles never cease to amaze me.

It's 7GB available to devs.

Orayn

Has nothing to do with PS4 hardware, they must have struck with Microsoft for timed exclusivity. The cloud computing they mentioned all falls within the domain of server-side functions in an online game, and it's only "cloud" because they're using Microsoft's resources to do it.

Daingurse

Surprise surprise it's another fucking shooter

image.php

Hahahaha, that comment with your avatar really got a hearty laugh outta me. I don't quite have the vitriol towards FPS games that a lot on this board have. I only play the one's I like so I'm not burnt out on the genre. Besides at-least it's a Sci-Fi setting with fucking mechs! I'll take that any-day over a military shooter and I don't even hate military shooters!

Power of the cloud is saving Xbone.

... and PC and X360 :lol

Technically anyone can use it, even the Wii. The problem: who is going to pay for it?

MSFT basically is giving everyone in the development side a huge tool (and it is huge) to work with for free, with the consumer paying for it through royalty purchases and LIVE fees.

If Sony wants to try something to compete with MSFT, it won't be free, unless Sony wants to destroy their operating margins.

daveo42

Banned
The nonsensical part is unfortunately, the PS4 has 50% more GPU horsepower. Which in both consoles are GPGPUs. There is two things those things excell at besides graphics, physics and AI. And a GPU tears through those two tasks compared to a CPU.

So the answer "PS4 impossible" is a flat out lie.

And I don't like lies. I don't like "this speaker is impossible under 20k" lies, I don't like the "this clarinet is really worth 10k" lies and I don't like tech lies. Which this is.

That bit they spoke of there is probably PR talk peaking through saying that it could only be done with the cloud. I mean, they are releasing the game on the 360, and as far as we know right now, the cloud ain't helping with that product or they could have just kept the 360 around.

My guess is that Respawn either has a PS4 and knows it'll be super easy to port it over but went with the quick cash money hat first.

bidguy

Banned
So it's a timed exclusive? Big fucking deal. The PS4 will get it next year with all the DLC.

you have to keep in mind that its not set in stone. microsoft might continue to pay for exclusivity. this may be the exact same situation like last gen with gears of war 1 (which had a pc release aswell)

Proelite

Has nothing to do with PS4 hardware, they must have struck with Microsoft for timed exclusivity. The cloud computing they mentioned all falls within the domain of server-side functions in an online game, and it's only "cloud" because they're using Microsoft's resources to do it.

Resources that no one except Amazon have that's comparable.

patapuf

The only thing worrying me is the constant talk of kinect integration. If its too much then I'm out, but if its simple crap like voice commands then they're not really giving me a good reason as to why its compulsory.

The game is also coming to PC, heavy kinect integration would surprise me.

Resources that no one except Amazon has.

In terms of sheer numbers certainly, but there's more companies capable of running online games on server clusters.

The Lamp

It's possible that these kinds of games end up being Microsofts advantage. Games that claim to need the cloud, lol whatever.

The downside to that is you will probably have to pay for XBL to play a game whatsoever, single player or not, and your game is, of course, useless when the servers shut down.

It's possible that these kinds of games end up being Microsofts advantage. Games that claim to need the cloud, lol whatever.

The downside to that is you will probably have to pay for XBL to play a game whatsoever, single player or not, and your game is, of course, useless when the servers shut down.

Of course you'll have to pay. Servers aren't free. But the online gameplay should be stellar versus P2P which was most common last gen.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Where are people getting this timed exclusive idea from? I have read no where reputable that states it will arrive for any system beyond the 360, One, and PC.

This thread is just a breeding ground for rumors, it'd be best if everyone would just wait until E3 to let Respawn iron out the details.

trmas

Banned
It's exclusive... I'd venture to say that any of the developers talking about "cloud" are. Also, Kinect integration listed.

kingocfs

A 1 year exclusive for a big game like this might as well be an exclusive forever.

Anyone who wants to play this shit isn't going to wait until 2015.

Top Bottom