• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Jr.

I would love if Eurogamer got another anonymous source from Crystal Dynamics and asked them what exactly is going on behind the scenes with the Xbone.

I heard that the drivers aren't up to date yet or something. Is that bullshit?

Is it feasible that they could have got it up to parity with more dev time or would it have just been impossible on the current hardware?

Is it just a matter of learning the system kind of like the early days of the PS3?

I don't even know how to start criticizing this post... from a gaming perspective or a film one. There are so many things that are simply wrong (literally...incorrect "facts") with it that it would take way too much time to explain how things actually are, and that would be too big of a detour from the topic.
But just as trivia, while true that one of the reasons for becoming a standard was the technical sound issue, 24 fps became a standard mostly out of a compromise between quality and costs (if that's the minimum, let's do it that way and maximize our profits). Which most of the times is good, except for movements of the camera - pans...those can create some unforgiving motion judder sometimes (which can be even more visible now in your own home on your home theatre). It used to be less noticeable in cinemas, because in the projected film, a shutter blade crosses a frame at least twice.

As for gaming... I really don't know how to respond to this. I've deleted a few attempts. It's like praising lag in games.

This.

Now more on the actual topic, while I don't have at this moment either PS4 or XBO, I'm really thinking of picking up this game when I do get a PS4 (didn't play it yet). Being a Playstation supporter for a long period of my life, I was quite frustrated at times with the multiplats on PS3...that's either because of the inferior resolution or the inferior framerate (or both sometimes) - the magic of less fps and res was not that "cinematic" for my taste. I'm glad to see that things have changed (not that I'm happy for XBO owners to get a less performant version of the game) and I really hope that if the performance difference between these two major consoles proves to be as big as some people say, developers won't hold back on the PS4's advantages just so they can deliver a relatively similar product.
As for having the same full-price, I can kinda understand both parts. For once, if you bought a dvd and the blu ray comes out a year later, you don't expect to get it half the price. The problem I think is the advertised program of upgrading a game from one platform to the other for less money.

First post on gaf. Good to finally be here.

You realise you fell for a troll attempt, right?

Welcome though! :D

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't even know how to start criticizing this post... from a gaming perspective or a film one. There are so many things that are simply wrong (literally...incorrect "facts") with it that it would take way too much time to explain how things actually are, and that would be too big of a detour from the topic.
But just as trivia, while true that one of the reasons for becoming a standard was the technical sound issue, 24 fps became a standard mostly out of a compromise between quality and costs (if that's the minimum, let's do it that way and maximize our profits). Which most of the times is good, except for movements of the camera - pans...those can create some unforgiving motion judder sometimes (which can be even more visible now in your own home on your home theatre). It used to be less noticeable in cinemas, because in the projected film, a shutter blade crosses a frame at least twice.

As for gaming... I really don't know how to respond to this. I've deleted a few attempts. It's like praising lag in games.

This.

Now more on the actual topic, while I don't have at this moment either PS4 or XBO, I'm really thinking of picking up this game when I do get a PS4 (didn't play it yet). Being a Playstation supporter for a long period of my life, I was quite frustrated at times with the multiplats on PS3...that's either because of the inferior resolution or the inferior framerate (or both sometimes) - the magic of less fps and res was not that "cinematic" for my taste. I'm glad to see that things have changed (not that I'm happy for XBO owners to get a less performant version of the game) and I really hope that if the performance difference between these two major consoles proves to be as big as some people say, developers won't hold back on the PS4's advantages just so they can deliver a relatively similar product.
As for having the same full-price, I can kinda understand both parts. For once, if you bought a dvd and the blu ray comes out a year later, you don't expect to get it half the price. The problem I think is the advertised program of upgrading a game from one platform to the other for less money.

Exactly this. High framerates (or gsync) are the only way to get a sharp, clear picture with fast motion because of judder. And people are ponying up money for the graphics here, because the gameplay is identical to the last gen version. If the IQ isn't good enough to showcase the graphical upgrades then what's the point?

Portugeezer

This.

Dat first post. I like you already (albeit, replying to troll post lol). Welcome.

Skeff

I would love if Eurogamer got another anonymous source from Crystal Dynamics and asked them what exactly is going on behind the scenes with the Xbone.

I heard that the drivers aren't up to date yet or something. Is that bullshit?

Is it feasible that they could have got it up to parity with more dev time or would it have just been impossible on the current hardware?

Is it just a matter of learning the system kind of like the early days of the PS3?

XB1 performance will improve, but so will PS4. The reason both will improve is that the development tools for bot will be improved, but they will always be improving. PS360 dev tools are still improving now. So the idea of the driver not being up to date is disingenuous as it implies MS are just going to release a patch and everything will go up 10% which just won't happen.

The PS4 is just a lot more powerful than the XB1 and the 40% GPU compute advantage is only one part of it, It has a higher benchmarked CPU (we don't know why) 90% more fillrate, faster and easier to use memory system.

There is nothing in the XB1 like the Cell was in PS3 that could actually be used to close the gap on the PS4 as the generation goes on. Expect the PS4 to consistently have better multiplat games.

Welcome to GAF, good post, but tbh when posts are that crazy your best just leaving them alone.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
There is nothing in the XB1 like the Cell was in PS3 that could actually be used to close the gap on the PS4 as the generation goes on. Expect the PS4 to consistently have better multiplat games.
But there is something the PS4 has which the Xbone can't compete with: A huge GPGPU advantage. (Fine-grained compute.)

We need to o update the January death count list. Many have fallen in this thread.

I've decided to pick this up just to support CD. Here's my money, take it.

emko

30FPS will Always Deliver Better Story-Telling than 60FPS in Games – Heres Why

All the peeps of the Gaming World have been going crazy over 30 FPS and 60 FPS standards this last year. From 60fps/1080p being thought the new Next Gen standard to Ryse downgrades. But there a point many people are missing, one which i hope to shed some light on today, the point that why 30 FPS cant and shouldn’t ever be replaced with 60fps.

30fps vs 60fps – The Magic of Story Telling Lies in Lower FPS, 30 FPS will always deliver a more “Cinematic” Experience than 60FPS.

I am of course making quite a bold claim and the burden of proof lies with me. One which i am more than willing to shoulder. Let me begin by saying that the minimum limit that our brain needs to perceive moving frames as a seamless entity ( a video) is 24 Frames Per Second. This is one of the reason 99% of Movies are shot at 24 FPS. Though this was originally due to Sound Hardware limitation of Old Cinema, it has now become the Cinematic Standard. The 24 fps of the Cinema Industry is roughly equivalent to the 30 fps standard of the Gaming Industry. When you see a video shot at 24 fps / 30 fps there are holes to fill and your brain automatically does this by literally creating stuff out of your imagination : also known as movie magic. The More frames you increase, the less you brain fills in, the less the “magic”.

Proof of Concept: Hobbit 24 FPS vs 48 FPS analogy to the 30FPS vs 60FPS Gaming Standard

So, Notice how the 48FPS video looks, Sped Up, Weird and almost too Real (in a Bad Way) ? That is called the Soap Opera Effect. Because we grew up in a world where reality tv and soap operas were shot at a higher FPS our brains are now hard wired to associate mundane reality with Higher FPS. And i think you can see now what i meant by our brain filling in the gaps at lower FPS. The Original trailer looks magical and truly “Cinematic”. Of course you might be one of the minority who actually like the sped up, but in my opinion that is probably because of the Novelty Value.

30fps vs 60fps

The more Frames Per Second we increase in our Gaming Standards the less “Magical” they will feel.
I remember when playing Alan Wake (at 30fps) that it felt unbelievably like a movie to me, the sudden attacks of darkness and the way everything was moving about, i wonder if the magic would have been there with 60FPS. If i could clearly see how everything moved – probably not. Likewise in Cinema the Smokes and Mirrors fall away with increased fps – and story telling is all about the illusion. Of course some games would actually benefit from higher frames per second like Racing Games and Fighting Games (Tekken) but Games in which story telling is a main part would do better with the 30FPS Standard.

http://wccftech.com/30fps-vs-60fps-30fps-better-story-telling-games/

can you people finally drop this "60fps is better" nonsense

Im sorry but FILM and GAME rendering is not the same. When you film at 24fps you do so at a lower shutter speed to add some motion blur in each frames. You can shoot at a high shutter and freeze motion in each frame and that would turn out like a game where each frame is static with no motion blur and it looks horrible. So some games are fine at 30fps but try play a fps at 30fps with quick motion it looks horrible.

HTupolev

Exactly this. High framerates (or gsync) are the only way to get a sharp, clear picture with fast motion because of judder.
If you're referring to the choppiness of pans at low framerates as "judder", gsync doesn't make that go away. Low framerates are still low framerates. A game that's holding about 24fps with gsync isn't going to look any smoother in motion than a locked 24fps film.

What gsync avoids is high-frequency variance, like the stuttering caused by triple-buffering when it fails to meet its target, or 3:2 pulldown when converting films to NTSC video.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That could definitely help the PS4 pull ahead, but I think it might already be happening here with TressFX.
Sure. I think this big a difference (90-100%) will be the anomaly for the foreseeable future. The differences will contract and then expand again after GPGPU will be used more heavily.

Anyway it will be interesting to see the face-offs, we might know the ending but we don't know how they get there.

mjontrix

Not a fan of Jackie Chan so I'll take the Spongy dude.

Oh god...

Well, it seems people are getting copies of the game now so hopefully we get some nice pigs, both ps4 and xb1.

Later on people can get to the 10-bit 30/60 fps videos so we can actually compare the two versions.

I think in the future as the xb1 sdk matures the gap will become 60-70% but even so the exclusives will be similar in graphics for a few years until game engines catch up. 3-4 years down is when xb1 will have a problem. Microsoft will definitely want to cut this console cycle down as short as possible and get to VR/AR ASAP to differentiate their product.

Odrion

Banned
There is a "Hobbit 48fps" parallel in gaming though.

It's 120fps *ducks computer mice*.

edit: Also there's a difference between a frame shot on film and a frame rendered in the raw by computer hardware.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
No ones talking about the most important thing from the ps4 version being 60fps. If the dev team behind tomb raider can do it think what naughty dog will do with uncharted 4 on the ps4.

Kazaam

If the IQ isn't good enough to showcase the graphical upgrades then what's the point?

Yes, of course. We'll have to see how the game is gonna shape up after all. Yet, I still think it's target is either people who haven't played it or loved it so much they really want to jump back into it with the (hopefully) performance and graphical advantages added + let's say better controller. So far, from what I've read and followed, franchises that continued to be released on both generations were different only on that technical side, not gameplay wise. And that's why I agree it should be full price (as the other ones were), but ... should be in the program of upgrading from one console generation to the other for much less.

Thanks for the welcome. Will try to restrain myself as much as possible from replying outrageous troll posts. :D

slapnuts

Wow, just wake up and saw this 30-page thread. :D

Anyhow, I think that we will see this kind of power difference for every game that has heavy presence of Direct Compute effects. In this case, decision of Eidos for both version to have TressFX hair has pushed PS4 version to work much better.

While on the paper PS4 does not have more than 40% advantage for traditional rendering, the gulf can be widened if developers take advantage of PS4's customized 8 ACE approach to DC task queuing. Not only PS4 has more CU cores that they can completely dedicate to DC, they can also look for specific timings, and insert DC requests to all other CUs.

This was expected from the moment Sony announced their GPU modifications. More DC processing in multiplatform games - more advantage for PS4.
well put and hopefully this can shed some light to the more uninformed

stryke

No ones talking about the most important thing from the ps4 version being 60fps. If the dev team behind tomb raider can do it think what naughty dog will do with uncharted 4 on the ps4.

Of course they can do it, but they'd rather have their game look better than a spruced up last gen game.

vkjej5L.gif

You're honestly a cool guy.

Mike Golf

Ok, here they are. Credit goes to Wonko_C for the initial screen grabs from the Definitive Edition streaming video. The following are my own shots from PC TR at all settings maxed at 1080p except AA is left at FXAA for IQ parity with the Definitive Edition because I am sure we can safely assume it will not have SSAA. Unfortunately the shot where Lara is hiding from Dimitri has heavy DOF effect with the highest PC settings so it is kind of a bad comparison to the Definitive Edition in regards to seeing details on Lara's face/skin etc compared to the streams shot, but there it is.

The first shots are my PC TR grabs and the second are Wonko_C's Definitive Edition stream video grabs.

EDIT: Just to be clear, Wonko_C said he/she could only run his/her PC at max DX9/10 so I wanted to illustrate the PC version at max DX11 quality compared to his/her Def. Edition screen grabs. Sorry for the confusion of possible copy/paste image posting.

bNkoAsN.jpg

rPOhow1.jpg

ASUdbZF.jpg

DYpv5Ec.jpg

R0Rfist.jpg

zIwhbwT.jpg

slapnuts

yep, this console gen is indirectly the most exciting thing to happen to PC gaming in a long long time.

Yeah i really do agree...PC gamers will finally see more of our hardware put to use and those of us PC gamers that are unbiased towards console gaming as well also have something to look forward to on these next gen consoles. Best of both worlds..I expect to see some amazing things on these new consoles and in return some amazing next gen console ports coming over to PC.

Also the PC is on a rise of popularity as a game machine..big thanks to steam,etc but i am starting to feel how i felt about PC gaming in the late 90's and early 2000's. I think about my old ATI 9800 Pro All-In-Wonder card...what a F'n card that was! LOL i was doing the multitasking TV functionality on my games machine back in the early 2000's ..that All-In-Wonder was a bad ass card for both gaming and media

Anyways..exciting times ahead for PS4. Cerny is God-Like

Boost

Banned
Speedy Blue Dude said:
Didn't the Executive Producer for Tomb Raider, Scot Amos, recently confirm it was 1080p, 30 frames on both consoles?

Source

Well... guess this is STILL running at 30 FPS on both. :p So he wouldn't exactly be lying! That powergap, lol.

Meh. Don't really care myself. Still buying this on my Xbox One over my PS4, just for the slightly better Voice Commands and the Achievements.
L24cy.gif

Cuntcharted.

Like Dude Raider.

edit: feel i should explain. i iust wanted to make a joke name for tomb raider and how it copied uncharted. like people used to say uncharted was dude raider.

USC-fan

Banned
Ok, here they are. Credit goes to Wonko_C for the initial screen grabs from the Definitive Edition streaming video. The following are my own shots from PC TR at all settings maxed at 1080p except AA is left at FXAA for IQ parity with the Definitive Edition because I am sure we can safely assume it will not have SSAA. Unfortunately the shot where Lara is hiding from Dimitri has heavy DOF effect with the highest PC settings so it is kind of a bad comparison to the Definitive Edition in regards to seeing details on Lara's face/skin etc compared to the streams shot, but there it is.

The first shots are my PC TR grabs and the second are Wonko_C's Definitive Edition stream video grabs.

http://i.imgur.com/bNkoAsN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rPOhow1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ASUdbZF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DYpv5Ec.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/R0Rfist.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zIwhbwT.jpg
Is this the PS4 stream version? If they were streaming with PS4 its not 1080p

slapnuts

This is probably less reflective on computational power and more reflective of a shitty port job.

Im not too sure about this statement of yours seeing how both consoles are nearly identical in specs besides one having more beefier specs than the other but the overall architecture is pretty much in the "same family" of hardware in just about all ways outside the memory and a few custom tweaks Sony did on their GPU.

Also even if it were a shoddy port job...it still dont make any difference. The stronger machine comes out ahead no matter how you twist and turn it bro.

Mike Golf

Weren't these posted already?

As I replied to Wonko_C earlier, he/she was only able to run TR at max DX9/10 settings with no DX11, so no Tesselation/Tress FX etc. So I ran the game on my rig at max settings with DX11 to showcase the best case scenario of the Def Edition vs PC at max.

Sean*O

Or, maybe there are also talented devs who don't work at ND.

Mona

Banned

tomb raider is a last gen game though, U4 will be built from the ground up with next gen assets and techniques. if they can reach anything over 30 then they're being relatively less ambitious then they were last gen

that being said, i cant even imagine what Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are going to come up with for this platform, Ryse looks incredible and that was just a launch game on a system that is considered to have less power, who the hell knows what us gamers are in for in the coming years. i sure am excited though.

personally, i really want to see what a next gen Borderlands would look like.

Thanks for the welcome. Will try to restrain myself as much as possible from replying outrageous troll posts. :D

Your response to that one was very good though because it is sort of a common belief that the fps's between the two media are directly relatable. I saw someone say they hated higher fps in games because of The Hobbit on the Jason Schreier article.

Redshirt

Banned
I'm an Xbox guy through and through, but I also own a PS4 and a PS3. I wasn't planning to buy TR at release because I played it on PC, but when/if I do, I'll definitely buy the PS4 if the difference is 30 vs. 60 FPS.

slapnuts

If your PC is capable of running TR PC version at 1080p/60, get it there and save $45. duh.

Current gen based with experimental TressFX if you can get it running at a decent framerate with it on, the game the same thou

Precisely the point. It just so happens you need quite a sizeable rig in order to hit 1080p/60fps with TressFX on.

However, the beauty of the PC version is that you can opt out of TressFX and just play in glorious 1080p/60 anyways.

The Tomb Raider: Gravy Edition for the PS4 is obviously for people who only have a PS4.

The Tomb Raider: I can't tell a difference between 30 and 60 Edition is for the Xbox One only people.

I shared some of my pc performance of TR on my rig way earlier i this thread last night. Basically it runs at 1080p and 60fps with x4AA and x16F on my rig.

I have a Intel i7 3770k@4.6ghz, 16gb ddr3 ram, and Sapphire 7970Ghz Edition@1200mhz core/1600mem overclock. Like i said i get a "almost" constant 60fps with some dips to the mid 50's and sometimes frames as high as 80fps as well when i was "tinkering" with performance,etc. Oh yeah this is with the TressFX patch and all the latest updates at the time...but its been many months since i played TR on my PC so im not sure if there has been any newer update patches that optimized things further.

QaaQer

Yeah i really do agree...PC gamers will finally see more of our hardware put to use and those of us PC gamers that are unbiased towards console gaming as well also have something to look forward to on these next gen consoles. Best of both worlds..I expect to see some amazing things on these new consoles and in return some amazing next gen console ports coming over to PC.

Also the PC is on a rise of popularity as a game machine..big thanks to steam,etc but i am starting to feel how i felt about PC gaming in the late 90's and early 2000's. I think about my old ATI 9800 Pro All-In-Wonder card...what a F'n card that was! LOL i was doing the multitasking TV functionality on my games machine back in the early 2000's ..that All-In-Wonder was a bad ass card for both gaming and media

I hate when people slam consoles because consoles drive game development. The only way we get better games is with better consoles. For example, the Naughty Dog guys were talking about how hard it was to get half decent AI in TLOU because of memory constraints, and how much better the AI could have been if they could have scripted them they way they wanted too. & while ND is a Sony only publisher, I am sure every other multiplat dev faced the same restrictions. So, the only way PC gamers can get better AI is if the consoles are powerful enough to allow for it.

14+-+1

sn00zer

I'll just drop this here in the name of our fallen comrades...because i for one know how it feels
Are there any X1 games in the wild? ie. Are digital Foundary articles in the process of getting made?

Too bad its this game to start the controversy. Would be a more interesting discussion if it was a next gen only game so PC version talk would go by the way side and more direct comparisons can be made between the two versions. Its going to be reall interesting once cross gen ends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom