• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PlayStation 4 = ~60fps, Xbox One = ~30fps

Status
Not open for further replies.

djshauny

Banned
Will this game be availible to download from the psn store?

Come to think of it, will all PS4 games now be downloadable through the store? 1st and 3rd party?

Cheers.

Easy, 30fps is this:
thumb-14036289.jpg

And 60fps is this:
bruce-lee-game-1.jpg

Which do you want your game to be?

Not the biggest fan of gloating, so I'll take Spongebob.

So if I liked uncharted enough, but mainly liked the story (U2 anyways) is this worth checking out?

Imagine Uncharted starring Lara Croft, with the violence meter set to Gears of War. That's the new Tomb Raider.

I enjoyed it when I played it last year but it was on sale for $20 at the time. I felt like I got more than my money's worth at that price.

The Titanfall resolution thread will be the next tech battleground.

Probably, and what's funny is it will either go one of two ways.

1. PS4 gamers making fun of the fact that the game is 900p/60fps
or
2. PS4 gamers making fun of the fact that the game is 1080p/>30fps.

I'm willing to bet money that's how it will go down.

Wonko_C

Isn't the PS4 stream locked at 30fps?

Now open a Bf4/cod ghosts stream

I don't own a PS4 and not really a stream watcher, I didn't know. My bad.

Anyways, So I grabbed the Gamersyde video of the Definitive Edition and took some captures. Here's a homemade screenshot comparison between the Definitive Edition and the PC version. The video is of high quality but there is still compression artifacts. Keep in mind that I don't own a modern PC with a DX11 supported GPU, so no Tress FX or tesselation and other DX11 goodies. It's maxed out at everything Direct X9 (10?) allows, though.

PC version on top, Definitive Edition at the bottom:

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

or

Game is most likely 720p/60 on XBO

Pennywise

or

And you'll be flying in,trying to argue that these discussions are nonsense and we should rather play the games eh ?

While we're on the Tomb Raider talk, I'm watching a dude stream it on PS4 and noticed his quality is actually good. I have high upload speed but my streams have not been looking good recently even though my mbps upload is over 7 on PS4. I plan on streaming this when I get it and wanted to see if anyone may know of a fix? Can't really tell the difference of the game while watching it right now though. Can't wait to play it!

Elios83

The Titanfall resolution thread will be the next tech battleground.

Well considering that we already know that the X1 version will be 720p@60fps and there won't be a PS4 version I don't think that there is much to argue.
The next multiplatform games to look at are Tomb Raider, Thief, MGSV Ground Zeroes and Watch Dogs.
All of them have some sort of old gen legacy though.

Skeff

Well considering that we already know that the X1 version will be 720p@60fps and there won't be a PS4 version I don't think that there is much to argue.
The next multiplatform games to look at are Tomb Raider, Thief, MGSV Ground Zeroes and Watch Dogs.

Ground zeroes will be bad. Watchdogs will be a catastrophe, that's if people can survive the Jan/Feb NPD threads of course which will also be graveyards.

Destiny would also be a graveyard if anyone is left.

spookyfish

I like to read all about technology and have been following xbox1/ps4 threads even though I may not get either one of them anytime soon.

It is so hard to believe that with the billion dollars Microsoft put into customising and tweaking xbox1 hardware, that they got so soundly beaten by Sony for the performance crown. The only hope Microsoft has, is if the newer game engines have optimisations for its architecture and close the gap in performance, because last gen titles are clearly in PS4's favour by a significant margin.

"Closing the gap" will only work if PS4 optimization stands still.

Pretty sure it won't.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
And even then, it will still be bad ass. :)

I don't think anyone expects it be to 1080p. It will get piled on for various other reasons but anyone who acts surprised by 720p is faking it.

Oh I know, but people will still stir up a storm over it. Titanfall seems like a really touchy subject for a lot of people. Threads on that game get ugly fast.

Then why do you participate in tech threads? You don't have to run defense, you can just click on the threads that discuss the actual gameplay.

Like the Titanfall Leaked Alpha gameplay thread.

I find them intriguing. My apologies if my opinion is not welcome in them. I'll keep more silent about it.

Codeblew

So is this *mostly* due to the paltry 32 MB of RAM, or simply an issue of raw horsepower?
I would be shocked if the PS4 is just straight up 100% faster than the XBOX 1. The FLOPS difference is not nearly that large.

You are not taking bottlenecks into consideration. Bandwidth, ROP's, etc...

Mike Golf

Anyways, So I grabbed the Gamersyde video of the Definitive Edition and took some captures. Here's a homemade screenshot comparison between the Definitive Edition and the PC version. The video is of high quality but there is still compression artifacts. Keep in mind that I don't own a modern PC with a DX11 supported GPU, so no Tress FX or tesselation and other DX11 goodies. It's maxed out at everything Direct X9 (10?) allows, though.

Interesting screen caps, thanks for taking the effort. I think I will boot up my Steam copy and try to take the same shots as much as possible as I do have a DX11 GPU (7970 GHZ) and may be able to provide a little more clarity. In the screen cap of her leaning against the tree in the Def. Edition I think her face looks strange. Otherwise on the shot of her hiding before Dimitri grabs her I like the skin detail on her right shoulder, the one closest to the camera. Going to be an interesting comparison on DF that's for sure.

Pennywise

I find them intriguing. My apologies if my opinion is not welcome in them. I'll keep more silent about it.

These arguments add nothing to the discussion.
It's a tech thread, and while I agree that there are extreme opinions on every possible side, these arguments add alot more value to a discussion than dead-end arguments.

Majanew

Banned

Environment textures took a hit. Guess that was one of the compromises for TressFX and ~60fps.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Participate in tech threads all you want but if the only contribution is you playing Reggie and saying "PLAY DA GAME" then that's pretty dumb.

This thread is different, because this thread is now just dumb fun. But the actual Digital Foundry threads are about people interested in how things work under the hood and why or how games needed to adapt because of the different platforms.

Environment textures took a hit. Guess that was one of the compromises for TressFX and ~60fps.
Vegetation was improved. But yeah, the environmental textures are pretty spotty in a few of the screens.

Kazaam

30FPS will Always Deliver Better Story-Telling than 60FPS in Games – Heres Why

All the peeps of the Gaming World have been going crazy over 30 FPS and 60 FPS standards this last year. From 60fps/1080p being thought the new Next Gen standard to Ryse downgrades. But there a point many people are missing, one which i hope to shed some light on today, the point that why 30 FPS cant and shouldn’t ever be replaced with 60fps.

30fps vs 60fps – The Magic of Story Telling Lies in Lower FPS, 30 FPS will always deliver a more “Cinematic” Experience than 60FPS.

I am of course making quite a bold claim and the burden of proof lies with me. One which i am more than willing to shoulder. Let me begin by saying that the minimum limit that our brain needs to perceive moving frames as a seamless entity ( a video) is 24 Frames Per Second. This is one of the reason 99% of Movies are shot at 24 FPS. Though this was originally due to Sound Hardware limitation of Old Cinema, it has now become the Cinematic Standard. The 24 fps of the Cinema Industry is roughly equivalent to the 30 fps standard of the Gaming Industry. When you see a video shot at 24 fps / 30 fps there are holes to fill and your brain automatically does this by literally creating stuff out of your imagination : also known as movie magic. The More frames you increase, the less you brain fills in, the less the “magic”.

Proof of Concept: Hobbit 24 FPS vs 48 FPS analogy to the 30FPS vs 60FPS Gaming Standard

So, Notice how the 48FPS video looks, Sped Up, Weird and almost too Real (in a Bad Way) ? That is called the Soap Opera Effect. Because we grew up in a world where reality tv and soap operas were shot at a higher FPS our brains are now hard wired to associate mundane reality with Higher FPS. And i think you can see now what i meant by our brain filling in the gaps at lower FPS. The Original trailer looks magical and truly “Cinematic”. Of course you might be one of the minority who actually like the sped up, but in my opinion that is probably because of the Novelty Value.

30fps vs 60fps

The more Frames Per Second we increase in our Gaming Standards the less “Magical” they will feel.
I remember when playing Alan Wake (at 30fps) that it felt unbelievably like a movie to me, the sudden attacks of darkness and the way everything was moving about, i wonder if the magic would have been there with 60FPS. If i could clearly see how everything moved – probably not. Likewise in Cinema the Smokes and Mirrors fall away with increased fps – and story telling is all about the illusion. Of course some games would actually benefit from higher frames per second like Racing Games and Fighting Games (Tekken) but Games in which story telling is a main part would do better with the 30FPS Standard.

http://wccftech.com/30fps-vs-60fps-30fps-better-story-telling-games/

can you people finally drop this "60fps is better" nonsense

I don't even know how to start criticizing this post... from a gaming perspective or a film one. There are so many things that are simply wrong (literally...incorrect "facts") with it that it would take way too much time to explain how things actually are, and that would be too big of a detour from the topic.
But just as trivia, while true that one of the reasons for becoming a standard was the technical sound issue, 24 fps became a standard mostly out of a compromise between quality and costs (if that's the minimum, let's do it that way and maximize our profits). Which most of the times is good, except for movements of the camera - pans...those can create some unforgiving motion judder sometimes (which can be even more visible now in your own home on your home theatre). It used to be less noticeable in cinemas, because in the projected film, a shutter blade crosses a frame at least twice.

As for gaming... I really don't know how to respond to this. I've deleted a few attempts. It's like praising lag in games.

Whenever someone uses "slightly higher" in this context, a picture of Monty Python's Black Knight comes to my mind.

This.

Now more on the actual topic, while I don't have at this moment either PS4 or XBO, I'm really thinking of picking up this game when I do get a PS4 (didn't play it yet). Being a Playstation supporter for a long period of my life, I was quite frustrated at times with the multiplats on PS3...that's either because of the inferior resolution or the inferior framerate (or both sometimes) - the magic of less fps and res was not that "cinematic" for my taste. I'm glad to see that things have changed (not that I'm happy for XBO owners to get a less performant version of the game) and I really hope that if the performance difference between these two major consoles proves to be as big as some people say, developers won't hold back on the PS4's advantages just so they can deliver a relatively similar product.
As for having the same full-price, I can kinda understand both parts. For once, if you bought a dvd and the blu ray comes out a year later, you don't expect to get it half the price. The problem I think is the advertised program of upgrading a game from one platform to the other for less money.

First post on gaf. Good to finally be here.

The first and last pics look better to me on the definitive edition but the second pic looks terrible compared to that PC shot. I hope someone does an Xbox/PS4/PC comparison.

edit: I dont know about the tree in that third pic either.

statham

hmm

commedieu

Banned
I don't even know how to start criticizing this post... from a gaming perspective or a film one. There are so many things that are simply wrong (literally...incorrect "facts") with it that it would take way too much time to explain how things actually are, and that would be too big of a detour from the topic.
But just as trivia, while true that one of the reasons for becoming a standard was the technical sound issue, 24 fps became a standard mostly out of a compromise between quality and costs (if that's the minimum, let's do it that way and maximize our profits). Which most of the times is good, except for movements of the camera - pans...those can create some unforgiving motion judder sometimes (which can be even more visible now in your own home on your home theatre). It used to be less noticeable in cinemas, because in the projected film, a shutter blade crosses a frame at least twice.

As for gaming... I really don't know how to respond to this. I've deleted a few attempts. It's like praising lag in games.

This.

Now more on the actual topic, while I don't have at this moment either PS4 or XBO, I'm really thinking of picking up this game when I do get a PS4 (didn't play it yet). Being a Playstation supporter for a long period of my life, I was quite frustrated at times with the multiplats on PS3...that's either because of the inferior resolution or the inferior framerate (or both sometimes) - the magic of less fps and res was not that "cinematic" for my taste. I'm glad to see that things have changed (not that I'm happy for XBO owners to get a less performant version of the game) and I really hope that if the performance difference between these two major consoles proves to be as big as some people say, developers won't hold back on the PS4's advantages just so they can deliver a relatively similar product.
As for having the same full-price, I can kinda understand both parts. For once, if you bought a dvd and the blu ray comes out a year later, you don't expect to get it half the price. The problem I think is the advertised program of upgrading a game from one platform to the other for less money.

First post on gaf. Good to finally be here.

http://wccftech.com/30fps-vs-60fps-30fps-better-story-telling-games/

if you wanna discuss it with the author.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom