• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Xbox One / PlayStation 4) - Jan 28 2014

kyser73

Didn't pick this up on the 3, so will probably take a peek for the 4.

Would be happy with 1080/locked 30 with wavy hair ;)

Skittles

Hope other companies port some of their last gen games to next-gen. Would love bethesda to port skyrim so we get decent performance on a console for once.

ringlord

I was impressed with this game and was not really a fan of the previous tomb raiders. Worth picking up if you haven't played it yet.

sn00zer

Meh.
A waste of time, I hope this does not become a trend.

Not a waste of time at all....lots of multiplat PS3/360 had a PC version that had higher textures and extra effects....all of the assets are completed its just making it run on new hardware is the issue....get a small team to throw some guys to port it....console gamers get to experience what they were missing before....devs make a few million extra bucks for low investment...everyone wins

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Pretty much, definitely getting this on PS4.

And I've just bought it on PC during the sale. I'm still looking forward to seeing how this runs on PS4. I fully expect it to outperform the Xbox One version as it's still going to be in the first wave of next generation titles.

Shinjiru

I haven't had a chance to play this yet. I'll pick it up for the PS4 as long as it is reasonably priced. Now just do the same with Bioshock Infinite and GTA V.

omonimo

Banned
Ok ok, it's tomb raider.... but Lara in this game is so annoying. Prepare to hear her "booh boh" every two seconds.

iratA

It'll tank if that happens. Last gen established some sort of accepted price for remasters. With this game it should be $30 since it's a single releases. $40 would be pushing it.

I agree it should be $30, although because of how recently this game was released $40 seems more likely.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Im the PC gamer where if I cant run the game on max settings, I don't buy. I'm glad its coming out for the PSXBone... I won't pay full price for it tho.

RoKKeR

Only played the first bit on PC so I might pick this up.

If it's a reasonable price, that is. No more than $30.

tensuke

Not really "definitive" if it doesn't have TressFX, or at least do 1080p/60 on High. I guess they just mean "it has all the crappy mp dlc". Great game though, so it's still worth it for people who haven't played it yet.

I didn't even buy this when I had the chance to at $10 awhile back but a PS4 version might help fill in the gaming blanks for the spring or early summer, price it right and I'll take a look.

Dizzy

Banned
If portig 1-2 year old PS360 games to the PS4/One becomes a trend...

... I hope they ask no more than $29.99 for this.

image.php

Full or almost full rrp I bet.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This is why i didnt play Last of Us. Come on Sony, give me a ps4 version

Same here.

I did play TR on Steam's big picture mode, 1080p smooth as silk and it really is a huge leap forward compared to PS3 games. If PS4 is equally good looking, then it will be a nice showcase of what the system can do and how big of a step forward games can take.

krae_man

It's going to be weird to see a $60 game that looks exactly the same as the beefed up PC version that can be found for less than $10 right now. During the next Steam sale it will probably be $5 when the PS4/XBO version is $60.

Right now you can buy all 10 main line Tomb Raider games(everything but GOTL) for $14.

I'd love to replay this, but I'm not paying $60.

Although it will probably be $50 since that's next gen budget price for some stupid reason.

Seanspeed

Banned
Not everyone likes DRM in form of account binding which will chain you closer and closer to a single corporation with every new game you purchase. ^_^
Most people love the convenience of having most their games in one place and dirt cheap prices, though.

Im the PC gamer where if I cant run the game on max settings, I don't buy. I'm glad its coming out for the PSXBone
You do at least recognize that this is completely irrational and only serves to give you an inferior experience(likely for more money), right?

Xav

If it's the PC version on ultra settings running at 1080p 60 FPS with the the multiplayer removed (seriously I don't even want to see the option on the main menu) then I'd be tempted to double dip. Tomb Raider is one of my favourite games from 2013.

Pachinko

The PC version actually had a ton of tweaks and settings that can cause VAST framerate variances with minimal visual impact. Tress FX never quite worked on my system , kind of flickered, had wonky physics and also took away close to 50% from my overall framerate.

Like many PC games, those above options I mention can be tweaked from low - medium - high - very high and in some cases - ultra. Just based upon my own experience with the game I'd anticipate 1 of 2 options , they max out everything and leave the tressFX out and on PS4 it's locked to 30 fps at 1080p / 30fps at 720p on xb1 OR they go for a higher framerate and have settings closer to high and manage 60 fps at 1080p on ps4 with rare slowdown and 30-60fps on xb1 at 900p. What would you lose in the special effects department ? well, level of detail settings would likely get tweaked, draw distance wouldn't be as far either way. Anti aliasing won't likely be turned up very high, just the lowest FXAA option on both consoles. DX11 features like SSAO /HBAO lighting might be left off (they are quite demanding), as well features such as tessellation (which effected the volume of vegetation on the forest floor most noticeably) might be left off.

There exists a 3rd option though, if the port has been worked on for a few months - perhaps the studio involved didn't just cram the PC version onto console ? Maybe they opted to rebuild and tweak it to push the target hardware ? wishful thinking I know but if they spent a bit more effort than dumping the PC version , they could possibly push the entire game at 1080p and perhaps even squeeze on a toned down tress FX AND end up with something that looks better then PC even if technically it's cheating somehow (using texture and polygon culling more efficiently maybe?). This method could result in the equivalent of 1080p 60fps with the appearance of maxed out visuals but I'm not holding my breath they would do it.

For those lamenting the fact it will probably be full price - well yeah, of course it will be. The target audience here is more likely those without PCs that haven't played it yet which is also why I don't think they'll do that 3rd method of porting - too expensive and square is hoping it just sell another 500K copies worldwide at just about a straight profit.

I rented this from Redbox and enjoyed it so much I beat it in a weekend because I couldn't stop playing. I got like 99% completion.

I'll definitely pick this up for PS4.

DJwest

Bought and played the 360 version once and gave it to a friend. Had an absolute blast with it. Will double dip on PS4.

IzzyF3

Some kind of upgrade from last gen maybe? If all it took was $10 to upgrade, then I'll buy a PS4 when this comes out.

delta25

Banned
Are the next gen consoles even capable of TressFX ? I was always under the impression even the beefiest of rigs struggled with the tech.

sn00zer

Are the next gen consoles even capable of TressFX ? I was always under the impression even the beefiest of rigs struggled with the tech.

I assume they will be using their own cheaper tech this time...tressfx is way too performance intensive...you could probably create a better looking system that wasnt quite as accurate or expensive, but looks great

Anteater

There were big performance hits (at least on nvidia cards), but it mostly run at above 30fps on med range machines, so I think it might be fine. Plus I would assume they improved the tech with newer version or optimized it more.

Ricker

Some kind of upgrade from last gen maybe? If all it took was $10 to upgrade, then I'll buy a PS4 when this comes out.

Maybe Gamestop and the like will do something like this...brings us your PS360 retail game and get the PS4/XB1 game for 20 bucks...

CCIE

Banned

Doubt it. Neither is really all that beefy of a machine, and it doubt the One could do it at all, even at low resolution

Top Bottom