• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (Xbox One / PlayStation 4) - Jan 28 2014

Dinda

I was about to play it again on PC, maybe i will hold out now and play it on PS4 instead. Oh yeah and on vita via remote play!

KAL2006

Banned
That's a good release date, devs would be smart to fill Q1-Q3 up with ports as the game releases look Dead for around that time, only notable games are TitanFall and inFamous and both are exclusives.

Prine

Banned
I really enjoyed this, IF they add new content i'll pick it up for Xbox one digital US store and save £££. Lets see

Chittagong

Gold Member
Really enjoyable game, looked very next gen on PC maxed out, so solid release for PS4 & Xbone.

but can they do hair..?

Dinda

Ugh. Hope they add something extra than just the MP DLC... ugh. Also remove the multiplayer trophies and I'll get it.

I doubt it. I would think real studio (who does game content) isn't even involved in this, probably just the guys that did the PC version will now do the next gen ones.
And I'm ok with that, if that means the main studio is busy working on TR2

I loved the gameplay on this but already 100% completed it on PS3. Unless they add a good amount of single player content (HA!) I won't be buying this one. Awesome for anyone that did not play it yet though.

Joeki11a

Banned
most overrated game

it starts good ends silly as hell

only memorable part was The Wind atmosphere at that one part, thats it

this is going to be the PC version omgteh hairrr....

Arkanius

You're making some assumptions here.

Personally, I'll be surprised if it's even 1080p. And if it is, I'll be surprised if it runs at a steady 30fps. And I do not expect the fancy hair at all on either platform.

Not really hard.
I bet it will be 1080p and 30 fps though

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
This! I may double dip if that's the case. If it's 1080p60 w/ TressFX, I'm in when it hits a sale.

Uy4Q7CK.png

RagnarokX

I'm dipping. For the first time. Glad I skipped it earlier.

I highly recommend skipping now, too. Rent it if you're that curious.

The game is mostly cinematics and repetitive 3rd person shooting with very very little of value of anything else. It has been dumbed down to a level where nothing requires much skill or thought.

Good timing on their part assuming that they aren't crazy with the price. There aren't any retail titles scheduled for January on the PS4 and Xbox One, so they're free to take advantage of that.

Xater

Good timing on their part assuming that they aren't crazy with the price. There aren't any retail titles scheduled for January on the PS4 and Xbox One, so they're free to take advantage of that.

Not sure what you mean by that. I absolutely think they will charge full price for it.

Harlequin

I highly recommend skipping now, too. Rent it if you're that curious.

The game is mostly cinematics and repetitive 3rd person shooting with very very little of value of anything else. It has been dumbed down to a level where nothing requires much skill or thought.

It really depends what you're looking for. Because yeah, it's a lot of shooting (too much shooting for a Tomb Raider game if you ask me) but the shooting mechanics are very decent. So if you like third-person shooters, this is definitely the right game for you. Not to mention that there ARE quite a few opportunities for exploration in the hubs and there are the the challenge tombs. So yeah, if you're expecting a classic Tomb Raider experience, you should probably stay away from this but if you just generally like action-adventures or third-person shooters I think it's definitely worth playing. It's not a bad game (except for the story, anyway :p) just a bad Tomb Raider game (but then that shouldn't be anything new to anyone who's played the three TR games before it).

Chinner

Banned
if its 30 pound i'll buy on release because i havent played this yet (although i still have reservations about the rbeoot)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I love how this irritates some people.

1. Some of us abandoned last gen but still miss a few games, this way we can play better version of PS3/360 games we've ditched.

2. These types of quick cash-ins help developers and help fund other projects with little effort.

3. YOU DON'T HAVE TO RE-BUY THE GAME.

Why do people feel the need to crap on something that in NO WAY negatively affects them?

Agree with both of these.

More of these should come out early next year, its a great for everybody. People who missed out on the games can play a better version, its easy money for those making it and fills the void of no releases for a while.

Really don't understand how these existing is a bad thing. I'll pick this one up assuming they are reasonable with the price.

KAL2006

Banned
I really want Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, God of War Ascension, Metro Last Light, and GTA5 definite editions. Simply because I have yet to play the above games as well as those games pushing graphics. I also want Ultra Street Fighter IV and King of Fighters XIII because I don't want to turn my old system on, and the social features of the new systems would help those games.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So it can be done with retail PS3 games, retooling them for PS4 release. I will totally re-buy Tomb Raider and TLOS for PS4 in the future, they are my two favorate games from 2013. They both represent new beginnings with development teams and I, after not liking previous TR games, nor Uncharted.

It's a multiplat, there's probably some kind of master build
(for PC most likely)

Tagyhag

The game better be $20-30 considering you could have gotten the PC version for $10 about a week ago and in 2 weeks from now as well.

I would be HIGHLY surprised if this had TressFX as well.

I'm also wondering how many "Definitive versions" of last gen games will pop out again this gen.

What I can't figure out is why everyone isn't jumping on this bandwagon.

There were plenty of games from late last gen that had superior PC ports that could easily be moved to the PS4/One with improved frame rate, graphics and resolution for cheap and cash in on the new release drought. It's almost free money and you could probably sell 100k copies of a well received game do to that hunger from early adopters.

I for one missed Tomb Raider, so this is pretty much an insta-buy if its sub 30 dollars.

At best it'll be $40, but probably $60.

I too have been expecting more PC ports from the past year. Bioshock Infinite, the Crysis trilogy, etc.

Ricker

Game was pretty good and it looked great on the 360...not going to pick this back up just for a 1080p upgrade....maybe if its like 30 bucks or something and adds something new,like some extra single player content...guess we will know tonight.

ShinAmano

I really want Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, God of War Ascension, Metro Last Light, and GTA5 definite editions. Simply because I have yet to play the above games as well as those games pushing graphics. I also want Ultra Street Fighter IV and King of Fighters XIII because I don't want to turn my old system on, and the social features of the new systems would help those games.

Sure, yes, yes and hell yes (this one needs to be...the delay almost kills my interest...that said we also need fightpads to go along with it).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Meanwhile the game I actually want on PS4 is Witcher 2... you know great PC game that I (and many others) haven't played being a console gamer this last gen.

That is the kind of stuff I'm interested in... the PC stuff I missed.

merrick97

Banned
I hope this pushes other studios to port a lot of games to the PS4 in the dead release months.

No reason we couldn't get a definitive version of:
Bioshock Infinite
Grand Theft Auto 5
Crysis games
Dead Space
Metro Last Light

All of those games have PC versions that could EASILY be ported to the PS4/One with little to no cost.

Having finished and loved it on the 360 I have no real incentive to rebuy this,but I'm glad it is getting a rerelease. Would be nice if they threw in some additional tombs e.t.c and then I would probably double dip.

Still think it's an awesome game though so for anyone who hasn't played it yet, go get it. I wonder if sleeping dogs is next on the rerelease bandwagon?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Meanwhile the game I actually want on PS4 is Witcher 2... you know great PC game that I (and many others) haven't played being a console gamer this last gen.

That is the kind of stuff I'm interested in... the PC stuff I missed.

You didn't have a 360?

I'm oddly amused. Never thought I would see console gamers begging for PC ports of last gen's games for higher prices. Interesting development.

BigDug13

It's going to be weird to see a $60 game that looks exactly the same as the beefed up PC version that can be found for less than $10 right now. During the next Steam sale it will probably be $5 when the PS4/XBO version is $60.

I doubt it. I would think real studio (who does game content) isn't even involved in this, probably just the guys that did the PC version will now do the next gen ones.
And I'm ok with that, if that means the main studio is busy working on TR2

Well I'm hoping they had some finished content that didn't make it onto the final game so maybe they could've told the porting team to put it in or something :(

Top Bottom