• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PS4 Pro version vs PC Maxed out 4k screenshot comparison

At 4k max settings (including stuff like VXAO)? I think it's quite likely the 970 will run out of video memory at that, instantly cratering performance. We'll see I guess.

Okay, maybe we can take nvidia stuff out. Yes, the vram would be the main problem I guess.

NeoRaider

Also downscaling the PS4 pro image pretty much ruins the point of the comparison, hah.

And no it doesn't? Why would it ruin the comparison when downscaling makes everything better? It's not fair comparison, but for the PC screenshot not PS4 Pro.

tumblr_inline_npugzrz6FL1t9bsnt_500.gif

That gif is perfectly looped. So pleasing.

Oh yeh, and I think both screenshots look fantastic tbh. The kind of details being picked out are the sort of things you would struggle to notice in motion imo

ViolentP

Exactly. Getting even a close approximation of max'd out settings for a demanding PC game in a $400 console is impressive as hell.

Relative to the current performance of the PS4, the $400 price tag is impressive. On it's own however, I don't think it's that great. Performance keeps getting sidelined in console gaming so selling a high image quality title doesn't really have any of the difficulties that come with making it run well.

Griss

So...

1) Not real 4k (as expected), but
2) Closer than I expected,
3) At a cheaper cost than I expected.

Honestly, I'm kind of impressed, and I didn't expect to be.

LordRaptor

They really won't though. The upscaling simply doesn't operate on that scale. It operates on high fequency contrast. It doesn't sharpen very blurry parts.

An image using HQ soft blur (DOF post process) and then upscaled with - effectively - Bicubic sharper is going to look different to an untouched image scaled linear smooth scale though, surely?
I would imagine developers are going to prefer the softer 'natural' resizing for DoF effects than soften -> sharpen....?

That's the only thing I want from PS4 Pro.
Same here. I don't plan on upgrading to a 4K display anytime soon, so if a number of titles (or at least all of Sony's first party) have largely improved 1080p modes then I'm in. Coming from experience with Nintendo and their stop gap systems, I'm a bit weary. What they've confirmed seems promising though.

ogbg

An image using HQ soft blur (DOF post process) and then upscaled with - effectively - Bicubic sharper is going to look different to an untouched image scaled linear smooth scale though, surely?
I would imagine developers are going to prefer the softer 'natural' resizing for DoF effects than soften -> sharpen....?

It would look different if the bicubic sharpener was going from something like 240p to 4K for sure. The blur is like downscaling the image 8x or something whereas the upscale is only 2x.

Sanctuary

The Pro version was said to have HDR last night when they were demoing it. The PC version does not. I don't know if they released HDR in the DX12 patch, but I'd think that if the game was going to have HDR, it would have by now. The PC shot has better depth of field though.

The value of each upscaled pixel is the weighted average of the 4 nearest pixels in the original image (weighted by their distance). You can do it in GIMP or Photoshop, just select bilinear as the option when you resize the image.

Okay sure, I'm playing through the beginning now, I'm going to do one at 1080p, 1440p and 4K with the highest graphical settings, and another screenshot at 1440p with the textures reduced to High from Very High. It looks like the PS4 Pro is using High textures.

LordRaptor

It would look different if the bicubic sharpener was going from something like 240p to 4K for sure. The blur is like downscaling the image 8x or something whereas the upscale is only 2x.

Ah okay, I see where you're getting the 240p from, which was confusing me - sure I see what you're saying. Most high quality DOF post processing uses a gradient though, so the composite can range from barely any blurring or downscaling, to whatever arbitrary values are chosen for aperture / focus / scatter - which is why I think developers are going to want to either selectively mask whats recomposited via checkerboarding, or do their DOF post process after that pass (which is probably the better looking choice, but the worst for performance)

Elios83

It looks really close and if you consider what kind of hardware is needed to run the PC version with those settings vs the Pro GPU it's a really impressive achievement.

Mine 1080p maxed out (FXAA) :
I know that it's not exactly the same but this is what i have.
Looks great when i resized the pro image and it's not even the 1080p 30fps mode which is supposed to look better. Lighting is not 100% spot on but it will do.

pc 1080p maxed
rottr2016-02-0222-20-otshn.png

ps4 pro 1080p resize
ps4pro1080presizee9seu.png

ChryZ

PS4Pro is softer, but you really have to be pixel peeping. Most people would never know the difference, especially if you got a few meters between yourself and the TV.

Vintage

Is it me, or PS4 screenshot very much lacks texture filtering? Just look at blood drips on her chest - other textures look same, but blood texture at an angle is all washed out.

ogbg

PS4Pro is softer, but you really have to be pixel peeping. Most people would never know the difference, especially if you got a few meters between yourself and the TV.

If you can't notice the difference you probably wasted your money on a 4K screen

ogbg

Did you try it? I have read people that hooked their PCs with compatible GPUs up to HDR TVs and Tomb Raider didn't do shit.

I haven't actually. To be honest I only found out it existed from reading this thread. I'll try it tonight when I get home though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Looks great when i resized the pro image and it's not even the 1080p 30fps mode which is supposed to look better. Lighting is not 100% spot on but it will do.

Conversely if you upscale the 1080p shot to 4K, you can see the relative benefit for a 4K TV with the Pro image. (Though it's not entirely apples-to-apples given that camera is a bit further out in the 1080p shot...but it's as good as we'll probably get for now).

Looks better than the PC version. It's good knowing I don't have to spend 2 grand on a PC, where all the games barely work due to compatibility, patches, or drivers or whatnot.

this is a troll post

But seriously it looks good

Sanctuary

Did you try it? I have read people that hooked their PCs with compatible GPUs up to HDR TVs and Tomb Raider didn't do shit.

Hmm. I can't find out whether or not it was actually implemented yet. Unless the DX12 patch added it, it's most likely not in. The link from above didn't even say that it was implemented either, only that they were working on it.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/391220/discussions/0/357286119109623872/

As of one month ago at least, HDR is not in the PC version.

OCD Guy

Wow, for 400$ it sure is really impressive.

that's pretty damn nice for a $400 box

Looks amazing for a $400 console I'm impressed.

Exactly.

While there's no doubt that a gaming pc (dependant on spec) is more capable, for price to performance ratio the PS4 PRO (and PS4 for that matter) is amazing.

I'm looking forward to November, the PS4is already capable of producing some stunning looking games, so to be able to have even prettier games is going to be great.

This is definitely one of those "you have to squint and stare at it for 10 minutes" kind of things.

Both look good.

Why are people incapable of looking in a non-black and white way? One doesn't have to look like shit while the other looks great.

Yeah they both look good but the PC looks better and if you need to squint and take 10 minutes to determine that, you should look into getting lasik.

Nzyme32

Why are people incapable of looking in a non-black and white way? One doesn't have to look like shit while the other looks great.

Yeah they both look good but the PC looks better and if you need to squint and take 10 minutes to determine that, you should look into getting lasik.

We're at the point where people "see what they want to see" to support a position. There is an obvious difference, but again this comparing a $400 device with a lower spec to a system that is much more capable / one rendering lower than 4k vs one rendering at 4k and with a different preset of setting / effects available.

Both are indeed excellent considering the different systems.

mike6467

I'd really like to see a default PS4 shot thrown into these comparisons. Most people won't be deciding between a $1,200+ PC and a PS4P, they'll be deciding whether the PS4P is worth the extra money, or worth the upgrade from a PS4/PS4Slim. Definitely need to see these the samples in motion too.

I'm on a cell phone, but even without expanding you can tell the extra softness on the ps4 pro version.

But I think I need more comparison pics before going either way, the game already looks bloody amazing even on a xbone, and while the pc version is obviously better it has more expensive and refined effects other than looking completely different like the witcher, so I dunno where the ps4 pro will fare. If they are delivering ultra or near ultra at twice 1080p and upscaling to 4k it will very impressive.

Okay here's a 4K screenshot at the same spot, the source file is a 7.58MB PNG image.

Screenshot

These are the settings I used:
Settings window 1
Settings window 2

Everything at the highest settings except the texture quality, I'm going to take another screenshot with the Very High texture setting and also shots at 2560x1440, 1920x1080 and 2880x1620.

Sanctuary

So...

Is it actually better to use Pro with a 1080p TV? I'd rather have upped graphical effects at 1080p than 4kinda.

You won't get HDR unless your TV actually supports it. 1080p HDR screens are very uncommon.

edit: To clarify, HDR was what the Crystal Dynamics rep was focusing on regarding the Pro version last night when demoing the differences, before talking about how the game will have a slider for graphics/performance.
You should end up with a better IQ regardless on the Pro, but I can't personally see it being worth upgrading to the Pro if you already have a PS4 and are only playing on a 1080p screen.

Top Bottom