• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera also coming to consoles (PS4, Xbox One)

Llyranor

Played the full backer beta on steam and its marvelous, i have not played a game with as interesting side stories, npc conversations and amazing world lore since the original Torment, seriously. When i finished the 1st chapter i just wanted more. I did every side quests and they were all interesting, all NPCs' conversations added to the lore in some way.
Oh nice, looking forward to this. PST is the best.

Before playing Baldur's Gate on PC I would have been really happy yet now I dunno. Would it suit playing it with a controller? and were Wasteland 2 and Original Sin good using it?
Turn-based with a gamepad works way better than real-time with pause, so I wouldn't worry about it

What can change the nature of a man?

Regret was always my favorite (and honest) answer to this question.

I've always maintained that if I were to ever quit my current career and go into teaching that "What can change the nature of a man?" would be the first paper I'd assign every semester.

Pilgrimzero

I've always maintained that if I were to ever quit my current career and go into teaching that "What can change the nature of a man?" would be the first paper I'd assign every semester.

I usually went with "Love".

Awesome news. I'm a console only gamer but love RPGs. I was all over Divinity and Wasteland 2. I'll be all over this as well.

Voror

Hmmm, I'd be open to switching my backed copy to PS4 then potentially. Though if it's PC then I should be able to run it fine.

Llyranor

It's totally Regret.

Miletius

Good story and good writing isn't the same, though. You can have a really good story with some messy writing and you can have great writing inside a boring-ass story.

Neither of which has been proven yet, since the game is unreleased. I'm hopeful, of course, but lets not call this a return of a classic until it's actually been verified.

That being said, the more people the game comes to, the better.

Caronte

guess we know who posted that

I'm not complaining about a console version, but delays.

I don't have Windows and don't enjoy being a beta tester for free anyway, so that's not an option.

I'm going to guess that the people working on porting the game aren't the ones making sure the game is content complete.

That people haven't been able to make the game playable on Mac/Linux in 6 months since they released the beta on Windows, so it's easy to understand my concern about adding new platforms.

Purkake4

Banned
While the steam controller is great, native controller support in games like this has the added benefit of getting devs to consider comfy couch PC gaming...meaning bigger text :)
Unless they redo the UI for console, bigger text is going to mean even more scrolling.
1920x1080.jpg

dude

dude
As long as they are focusing on delivering the sort of game we expect on PC, the more the merrier!

I was not too impressed with the early version I got as a backer, but I hope it'll shape up to be a worthy successor.

Bu-bu-but they told me it couldn't be done. They told me these games were far too complex for my tiny console gamer brain to handle a gamepad.

Anyway, the only thing I want to know is if my 130$ gets me a PS4 version or if I have to buy that separately.

The Last of Us is good by videogame standards I'll give you that.

No, it's just good. Not perfect, maybe not even great, but it's good, whatever standards you measure it by.

Unai

Bu-bu-but they told me it couldn't be done. They told me these games were far too complex for my tiny console gamer brain to handle a gamepad.

Not the same game? You probably thinking of Pillars of Eternity since it's a Real Time with Pause game. This one is turn-based.

Decado

Unless they redo the UI for console, bigger text is going to mean even more scrolling.
More than likely they will. Even if not, I'd rather be able to read it on my TV. Can live with some scrolling.

Does this mean the console versions of wasteland 2 were successful?

Labadal

I'm not shocked. Having played the beta, it's very playable with a controller. It's turn-based. Wasteland 2 ended up on consoles.

Not the same game? You probably thinking of Pillars of Eternity since it's a Real Time with Pause game. This one is turn-based.

No, it was a general discussion about old school cRPGs and how, because of all the micro management it was too complex for a gamepad. And yes, there was also a lot of "but console gamers are not interested in these kinds of games" in there.

Staf

Before playing Baldur's Gate on PC I would have been really happy yet now I dunno. Would it suit playing it with a controller? and were Wasteland 2 and Original Sin good using it?

Only played Original sin with a controller but it's really, really good with a controller.

Miletius

No, it was a general discussion about old school cRPGs and how, because of all the micro management it was too complex for a gamepad. And yes, there was also a lot of "but console gamers are not interested in these kinds of games" in there.

It is somewhat interesting because when Divinity:OS and Wasteland 2 were being ported to console there was a discussion about how they would sell and if it would be worth the effort to port. The consensus ended up being that if they did well enough we'd probably see future games like Torment come to console. This ought to be taken as a piece of evidence that Wasteland 2:DC did well enough on consoles to warrant a port. Will be interesting to see if Divinity:OS 2 follows the same route.

Taruranto

A lot of these old school cRGP play like Pillars, i.e. Real time with Pause.

Something like BG2 with a gamepad sounds like a nightmare.

kevin1025

Banned
This is really cool news. I might consider the console version if the controls are looking good; if not, to PC it is! This will give the game more of an audience, being on all three, which is always a good thing.

xrnzaaas

Interesting. Up until recently I wouldn't imagine that oldschool RPG's like Wasteland 2 or Torment would hit the console market as well. I don't think I'll play Torment, though, and besides there are probably going to be issues with small text. I had enough of that in the PS4 version of Invisible Inc.

aravuus

Is the PC version being delayed because of this? Because that would be pretty disgusting.

I have to admit, this was my first thought and I said "oh no" out loud lol, but that was probably a stupid conclusion to jump to. No idea how the game's gonna shape up since I haven't been following the development at all, but the thought of as many people as possible being able to play a hopefully very well written CRPG makes me happy.

Weizor

Neo Member
You can't. Either the game will play horribly on consoles, or they've made concessions to make it playable. Just look at XCom 2. The strategic layer is anemic and they kept the console UI from the first game.

Saphirax

Keep hearing this. Got it on day one but never got around to play it. Whats wrong with it aside from text size?

One common issue is the camera suddenly going haywire and the only way to fix it is to restart the game. Had it happen more than half a dozen times.

Top Bottom