• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera also coming to consoles (PS4, Xbox One)

labx

Banned
Both have cool stories in their own way, but the actual writing doesn't compare.

Of course I'm just basing this off on Planescape. PLEASE BE JUST AS GOOD.

different beasts.

Played the full backer beta on steam and its marvelous, i have not played a game with as interesting side stories, npc conversations and amazing world lore since the original Torment, seriously. When i finished the 1st chapter i just wanted more. I did every side quests and they were all interesting, all NPCs' conversations added to the lore in some way.

Oh you've got to be trolling..

Nop

It's not.

Yep

Dark Souls has very good world building but that's about it. The Last of Us is good by videogame standards I'll give you that.

Planetscape: Torment was still above and beyond those. Dark Souls is amazing at what it does, which still boils down to intriguingly subtle worldbuilding through short descriptions. The Last of Us is like an above average movie approach to writing that happens to be a videogame.

PS:T is like the closest you can get in videogames to playing a reactive story hosted by a really amazing GM. Interacting with characters goes so far above and beyond the cold approaches to storytelling we usually get in games.

DUde. Not even close.

Different beasts.

Pilgrimzero

I have the beta demo on my Steam but have avoided playing it so I can get the full experience at launch.

The temptation is bad though.

bigjig

As long as they are focusing on delivering the sort of game we expect on PC, the more the merrier!

I was not too impressed with the early version I got as a backer, but I hope it'll shape up to be a worthy successor.

What didn't you like about it?

Lime

The key art released for this is pretty cool - I wish you could get it as a poster:

image_torment_tides_o30urb.jpg

It's cool that the main character for the marketing is the female one. Not only do not enough developers do that, but I think that the changes they made to the male one from what was in the initial kickstarter pitch are bad.

Regret was always my favorite (and honest) answer to this question.

I've always maintained that if I were to ever quit my current career and go into teaching that "What can change the nature of a man?" would be the first paper I'd assign every semester.

I stand by nothing.

Shin-chan

Have they made any statement regarding Kickstarter backers being able to choose which platform to receive their digital copy on?

I've searched but can't find anything.

Have they made any statement regarding Kickstarter backers being able to choose which platform to receive their digital copy on?

I've searched but can't find anything.

Their statement on that is a pretty classic non-statement:
Regarding consoles for backers - on consoles there are additional costs involved providing game keys etc. But, we are aware of the interest and will let you know if we have any news.

Going through the (potentially spoilery wiki), I'm a bit surprised by how many of the companions just seem to be normal dudes/dudettes. I guess two are still to be revealed, but I was expecting something a little... stranger here.
Based on the Kickstarter, we know at least one of them will be really odd. Look for "The Toy" update, but I'm not willing to risk any spoilers by going on that wiki to look for other stuff.

Purkake4

Banned
Based on the Kickstarter, we know at least one of them will be really odd. Look for "The Toy" update, but I'm not willing to risk any spoilers by going on that wiki to look for other stuff.
I am aware. Just recalling PST's secretive floating skull, reverse-succubus, gate to the elemental plane of fire, corrupted logical robot, and the literal embodiment of justice it seems a little weak at the moment.

Obviously there's lots of potential out there, but I found myself a bit taken aback by just a pretty normalish RPG party.

I think they're going much more for the hidden depths school of party member, more Dakkon than Morte or Ignis. I guess we'll see if they pull it off, but my instinct is that's harder to do well than a character concept that's out-and-out fantastical from the word go.

Purkake4

Banned
I think they're going much more for the hidden depths school of party member, more Dakkon than Morte or Ignis. I guess we'll see if they pull it off, but my instinct is that's harder to do well than a character concept that's out and out fantastical from the word go.
Fingers crossed
E: Though, I guess parallel dimensions girl is pretty out-and-out fantastical however you look at it.
Yeah, her and the Toy seem interesting.

Hah. Just took that edit out, in case people are particularly sensitive about character spoilers, even though she has been in the kickstarter updates.

That looks pretty polished. Starting to believe this beast might actually be released early 2017 now. Also great to have a hardcore western RPG release on PS4/XB1 too.

Who knows how well it will work though? A game with this much text might be a terrible fit for TVs, unless you happen to sit a couple of inches from your TV.

Apart from Mass Effect Andromeda, this is my next most anticipated game followed by Divinity Original Sin 2 (hopefully Larian ports it over to consoles).

Divinity Original Sin
Wasteland 2
Xcom 2
Kerbal Space Program
and now this...

Good to see the platform starting to become a more viable space for additional revenue for these developers.

NoNeed4Mercy

Neo Member
I have played it for 4 hours now. It ist really good but there are a few annoying parts

First, the game lags very often. This is Crazy, it should Not.
And every new area needs loading. It takes nearly 20-30 seconds every time. This should not exist in 2017.

Besides that ,the game is really tornment :)

NoNeed4Mercy

Neo Member
I am playing the PS4 Version. The Shop i have ordered from has been shipping it early. Got it since yesterday

The lag and loading is Kind of a dissapointment. There is a day one patch but ist does not help. I hope this Can be improved soon.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
And every new area needs loading. It takes nearly 20-30 seconds every time. This should not exist in 2017.

Damn. I wonder if they're engine limitations or hardware based. Hope they can improve it quickly, both of those are things I truly hate.
Pro or OG PS4?

adj_noun

Perhaps if they had mentioned a console version in the original kickstarter there would also be more interest?

Also if they hadn't waited until the very last minute to implement their "let us know if you want to pay $18 for a console code copy" thing with no posted end date, and no indication of the kind of numbers we needed.

Purkake4

Banned
Also if they hadn't waited until the very last minute to implement their "let us know if you want to pay $18 for a console code copy" thing with no posted end date, and no indication of the kind of numbers we needed.
That probably didn't help either, yeah.

Are you guys saying they should have behaved like a normal company instead of being these shady, lying fucks that they are ?

Pilgrimzero

Game is pretty cool from little I've played. Def reminds me of PS:T. I've had one crash though but it isn't the final version so...

Game is pretty cool from little I've played. Def reminds me of PS:T. I've had one crash though but it isn't the final version so...

I'm glad to hear the good first impressions. Hopefully reviewers will agree once the embargo lifts in two days.

I originally thought I'd have to choose between Torment and Horizon: Zero Dawn this Tuesday, but with the sudden realization that Horizon releases on Friday in Europe, the choice got easy. Torment it is. :)

Lime

I'm glad to hear the good first impressions. Hopefully reviewers will agree once the embargo lifts in two days.

I originally thought I'd have to choose between Torment and Horizon: Zero Dawn this Tuesday, but with the sudden realization that Horizon releases on Friday in Europe, the choice got easy. Torment it is. :)

Horizons releases on Tuesday/Wednesday in europe?

B_Signal

I have played it for 4 hours now. It ist really good but there are a few annoying parts

Besides that ,the game is really tornment :)

I can confirm that the weird frameyness to animation and the hitching happens on both the standard PS4 and the Pro. Load times are long on both too.

nynt9

Oh come on! You can't be so dense as to really believe what you just wrote.

To be fair, they were pretty shady about the RTWP vs TB combat poll (in how they already decided on TB and implemented it, then made a poll with a post that skewed heavily towards promoting TB and trashing RTWP, and then went "well TB won so I guess it's what the fans wanted!" even though they were making a spiritual successor to a RTWP game)

To be fair, they were pretty shady about the RTWP vs TB combat poll (in how they already decided on TB and implemented it, then made a poll with a post that skewed heavily towards promoting TB and trashing RTWP, and then went "well TB won so I guess it's what the fans wanted!" even though they were making a spiritual successor to a RTWP game)

Perhaps. At least this point can skew in either direction. I rather saw it as them being pretty transparent about their own preference and what they thought would serve the game best.

Regardless, I don't exactly think people remember the first Torment fondly because of its real time system in particular. ;)

Mivey

Are you still not over that? There have been lots of new RTWP games coming out since then, and with PoE2 and others on the horizon there will be plenty more in the future. Also this fits better into their "Crisis" model that also more easily allows more interactions in combat besides just attacking. This isn't arbitrary, and the devs managed to convince a majority that this was the best way to go.
With all the obvious things about inXile's general clumsiness that one can complain about, this is just plain petty.

Durante

This isn't arbitrary
You are right, it's not. I mean, RtwP is much harder to engineer and create a good UI for (and inXile sucks at that even for turn-based games), and it also makes it hard or impossible to do console releases.

Anyway, inXile is no longer on my list of companies which I fund for more than the minimum to get the game.

Completely forgot it was releasing tomorrow and was able to snag a physical release via Amazon w/ my 20% off Prime discount. Probably won't get around to firing it up till after I complete Horizon, but happy to know this will be waiting for me. Looks great.

Top Bottom