• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist

Banned
Adding to this, as a base, we are taking 800 mhz for the Xbox One. If the rate is anything below 800 hz at 12 cu's, we know things have been downclocked.

Fun historical fact- Alpha kits were clocked at 700 or 720 mhz because the GPU was more powerful than the real one to match the performance of 800 mhz at 12 cus.
7970?

wsippel

Banned
Ahh yes the latency "issue". lol
You can remove the quotes and the "lol". Latency is a very real issue. It doesn't affect all workloads to the same degree, but it exists, and it's a big enough issue for companies to minimize or work around it.

astraycat

You can remove the quotes and the "lol". Latency is a very real issue. It doesn't affect all workloads to the same degree, but it exists, and it's a big enough issue for companies to minimize or work around it.

I have to admit that I am curious as to how the PS4's GDDR5 latency will affect the CPU side of things (if at all). But as far as the GPU is concerned, I don't really think there's any saving grace in having less latency at the cost of bandwidth.

vpance

Nah i'll leave it, the context is good. Those posters were claiming how latency cripples PS4 against Xbone or that Xbone's latency advantage would turn 1.2TF into 1.8.

wsippel

Banned
I have to admit that I am curious as to how the PS4's GDDR5 latency will affect the CPU side of things (if at all). But as far as the GPU is concerned, I don't really think there's any saving grace in having less latency at the cost of bandwidth.
Yeah, I'm not sure to which degree it will affect the GPU either, but it certainly should affect the CPU. And the most powerful system in the world is useless if it constantly stalls.

Here is a compilation of stuff CBOAT leaked and is completely confirmed at this point. It doesn't stop at Microsoft. He has crazy good connections:

-some 360 tech details
-full list of GTA San Andreas voice actors
-Dead Space 3 having a coop feature
-leaked Remember Me (still a Sony exclusive at that point)
-TitanFall by Respawn is a timed exclusive, but is getting a PC port
-EA dropped their online pass, because MS is restricting used games themselves
-Battlefield 4 is not a timed exclusive for Xbox One

Unconfirmed stuff:

-Dead Rising 3 exists and is a console exclusive (rumoured to be MS)
-Black Tusk's new IP for Xbox One is way behind in development
-Mass Effect, Dragon Age are not timed exclusives for Xbox One

I probably missed some stuff. Still there is really no doubt CBOAT is the real deal.

Piggus

Bare in mind that MS were careful to not provide any performance related technical specs during the reveal. Just 8-core CPU, 8GB RAM etc.

http://newsbcpcol.stb.s-msn.com/amn...05de4683c867ee96/_h0_w628_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg

The 1.2 TFLOP metric just comes from various leaks, not from MS.

So either MS didn't want to clarify performance because the figures would show the Xbone is weaker than the PS4, or they new that the specs were subject to change, due to production line issues.

Read the Digital Foundry article. MS engineers let slip the info needed to determine the flop count.

Earendil

Isn't that every bit as much an assumption as assuming they will be unplayable?

The point is uncertainty. If I don't know if I'm buying a game, or leasing it, why would I invest any money?

Here's a scenario I can actually see happening:

You buy Madden '15 for Xbox One. This requires "the cloud" for god only knows what. When Madden '16 comes out, EA disables the magic of "the cloud" for Madden '15, requiring you to upgrade to Madden '16 in order to play. Your copy of Madden '15 is now useless.

Hey, it could happen....

CLEEK

Read the Digital Foundry article. MS engineers let slip the info needed to determine the flop count.

Letting slip some info isn't the same as the official reveal. MS were very careful in what they said during the Xbone reveal. MS engineers also stated that the SoC was fabbed on a 40nm process, and this was denied later by PR.

Biker19

Banned
This is beginning to look more and more true as more and more information comes out. It just seems so crazy how one side seems to be getting it wrong in every fucking possible way and the other side seems to be getting it right in every possible way. I won't list it here, but it's crazy. What the fuck happened?

Simple. Sony designed the PS4 to be a gaming console first, & entertainment/media, etc. second, while Microsoft went the other way around with Xbox One (Entertainment/Media machine first, gaming machine second).

This could wind up hurting Microsoft in the long run, especially when it comes to future Xbox One/PS4 multiplats & if both of those consoles go on for another 7-8 years.

astraycat

Yeah, I'm not sure to which degree it will affect the GPU either, but it certainly should affect the CPU. And the most powerful system in the world is useless if it constantly stalls.

That depends on what the latency to the CPU actually is. How much more latency does GDDR5 inherently have over DDR3? I honestly don't know if there is any to begin with or if it's just an artifact of how GPUs are structured (as GPUs with DDR3 memory do not seem to have lower latencies).

Googling so far hasn't helped me find out if there's really any inherent latency difference between DDR3 and GDDR5.

cchum

Letting slip some info isn't the same as the official reveal. MS were very careful in what they said during the Xbone reveal. MS engineers also stated that the SoC was fabbed on a 40nm process, and this was denied later by PR.

Wait did they build it in 2010....and just sat there?

Was the problem shrinking it to 28nm then?

CLEEK

Wait did they build it in 2010....and just sat there?

Was the problem shrinking it to 28nm then?

Who knows. The 40nm claim might have been an error made by Microsoft when speaking with Wired (unlikely) or an error made by Wired journos when they wrote their scoop (more likely). Or it could be true.

The idea that MS would take a 28nm APU design from AMD, then change it to be fabbed at 40nm is nuts. But maybe that all ties in with the ESRAM issues. Again, who knows?

MogCakes

Untitled_1.jpg

And there we have it. Thank you based GAF. In my short time here I have discovered a wonderful place. Now back to downclocking. With the 'insider' who bet his account on this out of the picture, what say you?

sTeLioSco

Banned
Untitled_1.jpg

And there we have it. Thank you based GAF. In my short time here I have discovered a wonderful place. And now back to downclocking. With the 'insider' who bet his account on downclocking not being true out of the picture, what say you?

when the consoles get release we will have the whole picture.
but rumors from insiders that provided correct rumors before you can take note of them

KidBeta

The latency of DDR3 and also GDDR5 is variable, you can literally set it. There is no way though that the GDDR5 is going to have anywhere near 5x the latency of the DDR3. IIRC it cannot even run that slow.

Nachtmaer

Who knows. The 40nm claim might have been an error made by Microsoft when speaking with Wired (unlikely) or an error made by Wired journos when they wrote their scoop (more likely). Or it could be true.

The idea that MS would take a 28nm APU design from AMD, then change it to be fabbed at 40nm is nuts. But maybe that all ties in with the ESRAM issues. Again, who knows?

Given how mature 28nm is by now and both GCN and Jaguar are coming from TSMC at 28nm (although I'm not sure if they're on the same type of process), it'd be beyond insane. Obviously it was just a mistake.

KidBeta

You guys do know it's ideal that the CPU never touches the dram right ? And if you pack your data well and use algorithms with good access patterns is possible to do rather easily

Here is a compilation of stuff CBOAT leaked and is completely confirmed at this point. It doesn't stop at Microsoft. He has crazy good connections:

-some 360 tech details
-full list of GTA San Andreas voice actors
-Dead Space 3 having a coop feature
-leaked Remember Me (still a Sony exclusive at that point)
-TitanFall by Respawn is a timed exclusive, but is getting a PC port
-EA dropped their online pass, because MS is restricting used games themselves
-Battlefield 4 is not a timed exclusive for Xbox One

Unconfirmed stuff:

-Dead Rising 3 exists and is a console exclusive (rumoured to be MS)
-Black Tusk's new IP for Xbox One is way behind in development
-Mass Effect, Dragon Age are not timed exclusives for Xbox One

I probably missed some stuff. Still there is really no doubt CBOAT is the real deal.

honestly, who the hell doubs cboat? there's even a few more posts (like smartglass support for all games, microsoft changing the online check from 3 to 24hr because of the adam orth incident and whatnot). the guy is the definition of insider.

astraycat

You guys do know it's ideal that the CPU never touches the dram right ? And if you pack your data well and use algorithms with good access patterns is possible to do rather easily

This can only happen if your data set can fit into cache for the whole duration of the computation, which is unlikely for any non-trivial data set.

KidBeta

This can only happen if your data set can fit into cache for the whole duration of the computation, which is unlikely for any non-trivial data set.

You only need to fit in a part of the data set your working on into the cache, not the entire thing. You don't see people fitting 3GB matrices into caches and yet you can get perfect cache hits with them.

Curufinwe

honestly, who the hell doubs cboat? there's even a few more posts (like smartglass support for all games, microsoft changing the online check from 3 to 24hr because of the adam orth incident and whatnot). the guy is the definition of insider.

Man, it used to be only 3 hours? Somehow I missed that.

astraycat

You only need to fit in a part of the data set your working on into the cache, not the entire thing. You don't see people fitting 3GB matrices into caches and yet you can get perfect cache hits with them.

Aside from the fact that matrix multiplication is sort of the textbook example of why cache coherency matters, you need to read parts of that matrix from main memory in the first place to get it into cache.

KidBeta

Aside from the fact that matrix multiplication is sort of the textbook example of why cache coherency matters, you need to read parts of that matrix from main memory in the first place to get it into cache.

You don't need to read anything the memory controller will prefetch the data before you need it. You can even give it prefetch hints iirc.

Modern x86 processors are largely magic at a lot of this.

I don't buy it anymore. Bkilian is a confirmed ex MS XBOX employee:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1746377&postcount=3684

No, then his response would have been the standard "We don't comment on rumors". The fact that he did not break out the standard response is quite telling.

As to CBOAT, from his previous posts, he's an industry insider, probably at EA. I call bull on him knowing anything about XB1 yields. Yield info would not even have been widely shared in the xbox org, someone from outside it would not be hearing anything about it. Heck, I was working on a low level hardware component, and I would not even be able to tell you the process of that component, never mind the yields.

I don't buy it anymore. Bkilian is a confirmed ex MS XBOX employee:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1746377&postcount=3684

As you said, though, he is an ex MS XBOX member. He wouldn't actually know.

Bgassassin emailed me his comments on the latest XBOX One discussions, and he said that he wouldn't mind me sharing it with everyone. :)

Bgassassin said:
Yeah that whole thing has been weird. The funny/sad (thing about) this is that the one "positive" rumor about the CPU being better seems to be the one wrong thing I passed along, but all the negative ones were legit though they made changes (e.g. from always online to a 24hr check in, no used games to whatever that mess is they've described). As for the more recent things, I "retired" from info digging so I haven't tried to confirm it for myself. But I saw the thread and if Thuway and Proelite are saying they've heard it, then I would say there is definitely merit to it (not ignoring CBOAT obviously). I've talked to those two in the past when comparing info around the time I passed along all that Xbox info and I know/have an idea of who their sources are making what they say about downclocks being internally discussed at worst and will happen at best. Or vice versa depending on the person's perspective. :p

CBOAT has a 100% track record. I'll keep my bets on him.

This... As for not telling your biggest supporters your yields (if CBOAT is working at a major 3rd party company) that seems like something that could backfire STUNNINGLY. If EA is kept out of the loop on something like "hey your games may not sell because there will be no consoles to play them on..." you can bet they'll remember it.

And if the OTHER half of the rumors are true about possible downclocks, you can be GUARANTEED that the developers will have to know this, and in knowing this can easily put 2 + 2 together.

As you said, though, he is an ex MS XBOX member. He wouldn't actually know.

Bgassassin emailed me his comments on tthe latest XBOX One discussions, and he said that he wouldn't mind me sharing it with everyone. :)

He was with them while the One was in development. He'd had a pretty damn good idea what was likely to leak from the org.

This... As for not telling your biggest supporters your yields (if CBOAT is working at a major 3rd party company) that seems like something that could backfire STUNNINGLY. If EA is kept out of the loop on something like "hey your games may not sell because there will be no consoles to play them on..." you can bet they'll remember it.

And if the OTHER half of the rumors are true about possible downclocks, you can be GUARANTEED that the developers will have to know this, and in knowing this can easily put 2 + 2 together.

They'd have no reason to share the ESRAM directly. They'd just give production estimates. And downclocks doesn't automatically put ESRAM on the hot seat. Could be other yield problems.

CLEEK

Bkilian's comments don't confirm or deny anything.

While he's right in saying info about yields would not be widely known even within the wider Xbone team, it will be known by some. News gets out. You hear about yield issues for other companies all the time. Nvidia, Sony etc.

Think how widely known the Cell and blue diode manufacturing issues were before the PS3 launched (and likewise, none of that should have been public knowledge).

Minions

He was with them while the One was in development. He'd had a pretty damn good idea what was likely to leak from the org.

They'd have no reason to share the ESRAM directly. They'd just give production estimates. And downclocks doesn't automatically put ESRAM on the hot seat. Could be other yield problems.

Considering they have not been fabing long I don't see how he would know what is currently happening. It's not like they have been mass producing chips for years.

Cboat was wrong about Dead Rising 3.

Just because it is not out yet does not make him wrong? Never saw a date. Shit also gets canceled relatively often, which is why I think "rumors" may not always be incorrect (always online), when changes are made (they become online once in 24 hours).

crazy buttocks on a train

quite possibly the greatest username
Bkilian's comments don't confirm or deny anything.

tryiun tyo flushme frmo the weeds, sory friend in duckhunt im the gun nott.he ducks

ducks

GAMEFRIENDS::: 1more truthfactbefore 10am conf. MONDAY if i gegt the aditional sosurceocnfimaltion. on it.

otherwise godbye fora ibit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom