• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn 10: Nighttime racing & weather "isn't a minor thing" to add in Forza

JLeack

Banned
This is sort of an example of what I've been bothered by with gamers lately. I see so many gamers say negative things about games due to minor faults or content exclusion. What I don't see is games commended for doing things well.

I think Forza 5 is an amazing game. The way it lets you admire the cars, the effort to make you race on higher difficulties, the bold drivatar system, and the content it does have despite being a next gen launch title.

Why is everyone so negative? Lighten up. Life is too short.

Whenever this gets mentioned, half of the people always say "well yeah, but standing starts suck anyway, because you'll be first by the first corner". Then why not try to improve the AI and make it start and defend right after the start, instead of basically calling defeat, giving up and removing it altogether?

Standing starts are a staple in many racing leagues and quite exhilarating. I think this is a major omission to not be present in a racing game. I just had the most epic v8 super car race in forza at Bathurst where the first four laps was pack racing with some three wide turns in the first lap. Intense bumper to bumper for half the race until we spread out a bit. I can't fathom a racing fan not wanting this.

Mascot

I'm very disappointed that the hardware limitation excuse has now been replaced with a time & resources one and I'd love it if Forza 6 was actually true to its 'Motorsport' suffix and became less about being an interactive car brochure.

Ditch the huge resource drain that Forzavista must be, drop the meaningless and gimmicky Top Gear tie-in, let Horizon deal with festival features like drag and drift, and lose the ridiculous two and three-lap races.

Introduce necessary pit stops, meaningful tyre wear and critical fuel strategy. Implement punitive flag systems and time penalties. Have drivers earn grid positions through qualifying sessions. Make the career mode actually feel like a career.

Who knows, if Turn 10 trim the fat and stop trying to be everything to every man, then maybe time and resources can be freed up to deliver a pure and honest motorsport simulator, with a brand new engine built to efficiently take advantage of next-gen hardware with eight times more power, and capable of simulating dynamic precipitation and times of day.

The problem is, I truly believe that Forza Motorsport has evolved into exactly what Dan wants it to be and is now in perfect synergy with his own personal vision. It's a car game, not a racing game, and ynamic weather and times of day aren't deemed necessary or even important. The 'Motorsport' part of the title has never really felt less appropriate.

When it comes to the cloud Turn 10 are the only ones using it in ways that emphasize its strengths without forcing an always-online requirement.

They've got cloud processing of Drivatar profiles rather than using a player's console and they're the only game on the bone thats using MS dedicated servers right now.

On that front they're going about it in the best way possible.

nick380

Neo Member
I don't even really care for weather and night time racing. The community features they took out of FM5 is far more disappointing and what made Forza so awesome.

Agreed they took out way too much, I could live without weather and night/day cycles if I could still drive a Saab on the Nuerburgring.

Top Bottom