• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Turn 10: Nighttime racing & weather "isn't a minor thing" to add in Forza

ElementJJ

Banned
Ummm. The Horizon guys figured it out alright. . . .

Mainly due to 1080/720p? 30fps, they took this hit and made good graphics and a dynamic lighting engine. To even get decent visuals out of F5 running on a not so well known box, they probably didn't have enough headroom for improved visuals and dynamic lighting. Not saying it's acceptable, but that's probably why.

So it won't be in Forza 6. Thanks for the heads up.

At this point we will go into the next-next generation and have more things cut out.

It might not be perfect but having a track with a lower brightness and car headlights on is all we are asking for turn10, i'm sure some tracks can fall under that.

Bizarre Creations did it well enough in PGR 4, just look at what they did with existing tracks to apply weather.

jett

D-Member
1080p over weather and night racing?

5123-9434.gif

NeoGash

Mainly due to 1080/720p? 30fps, they took this hit and made good graphics and a dynamic lighting engine. To even get decent visuals out of F5 running on a not so well known box, they probably didn't have enough headroom for improved visuals and dynamic lighting. Not saying it's acceptable, but that's probably why.

Horizon was a technical marvel. It was indeed 720p/30FPS, but it had 4xMSAA and added FXAA when the game could spare it. It also had zero screen tear and zero FPS drops, plus the open world nature and day/night cycles, I think it is one of the most technically outstanding games on console. What i tame from this is that either Playground studios (Forza Horizon) are better developers than Turn 10 on the technical side, or that the physics calculations in the Forza sim series is really that much harder to do.

In either case, it does not explain how they still do not have night racing or weather effects in Forza 5. It really makes you appreciate Gran Turismo that much more. For all the shit Polyphony get for being 'lazy', at least they gave us night and weather as apparently it is super hard to do (I don't buy that shit, they are a AAA developer and should fucking look like it. As far as I'm concerned the best games technically on the 360 are not ones made by T10).

FStop7

Banned
this doesn't really count as night, to me - the entire track is lit up with bright lights.

I actually agree with you. I also disagree that F1 is the "highest" motorsport any more. It's a glorified spec series. All of the innovation now happens in endurance racing. Le Mans and the Nurburgring 24 hour races are the kings.

Back when forza 2 and 3 were being made their excuse was not enough power to do everything, now that we are in a new generation they now say it's too much overhead or takes too long.

It's going to be a never ending cycle of excuses.

Night racing doesn't need to be pitch black, give us 5am races or 9pm races where the sky is dark blue and the track needs that extra light from the headlights, forza 4 kind of goes there with one of it's tracks being at early dawn, but that's it.

I also disagree that F1 is the "highest" motorsport any more. It's a glorified spec series. All of the innovation now happens in endurance racing. Le Mans and the Nurburgring 24 hour races are the kings.

F1 definitely has the most prestige but DTM has the most fun racing in my opinion.

FM1 was way too ahead of it's time it seems with Tokyo, the docks and the speedway all having night time racing with multiple car shadows going on as you play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPHITmDSm5g

FM1 also had your car paint left on walls if you crashed into them, in online races you could tell by about lap 3 which corners everyone would crash in to.

RyudBoy

They get a pass from me this time. However, nighttime racing and weather effects better be in Forza 6. No excuses.

Oh, and rally tracks.

I completely sympathize with the engineering effort required for feature implementation, really I do. But if you have a lighting model and a physics model with a surface temperature variable. Well, I don't know man. Weather I get, but night?
It's a YMMV thing. Both are more challenging for different reasons. Implementing them in games must be a curious matter-- "Most" of the tracks in GT6 have day/night and "most" have variable weather but not all the same ones have both and some only have one or the other. Then some neither, of course. Determining the list for each must have some interesting factors.

Variable and responsive temperatures would be the next step, though. Air and track. Surface wind, too. Hell, why not elevation while we're at it? If they can adaptively screw with lighting and friction coefficients for wet, adding an extra variable at the end of the formula for temperature shouldn't be that hard. Air temp and elevation would be easy to apply as a modifier to max power. The current F1 game series handles this well.

Dynamic winds I can see being a huge challenge, though. I'd never expect a game to go that far.

bud

on average, a new forza game comes out ever two years.

multiply that by the frames per second forza 5 runs at which is sixty.

gran turismo is having its fifteenth anniversary.

my penis is 7.3" in length according to my latest measurements.

so that leads to: TWO years x SIXTY frames per second x 15 years of gran turismo x SEVEN POINT THREE INCHES OF CIRCUMSISED COCK = 13140 days.

13140 / 365 years means it will take turn 10 THIRTY SIX YEARS to finally implement weather and and day/night transitions ACCURATELY and with great SCIENTIFIC precision.

there are approximately ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILLION stars in our galaxy.

the milky way is only one of MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of galaxies.

so we take those THIRTY SIX YEARS and we multiply them by... ONE MILLION which means that if japan is very serious about honour they will give me thirty six million dollars and a glass of milk or i will be deeply upset

UberTag

In either case, it does not explain how they still do not have night racing or weather effects in Forza 5. It really makes you appreciate Gran Turismo that much more. For all the shit Polyphony get for being 'lazy', at least they gave us night and weather as apparently it is super hard to do (I don't buy that shit, they are a AAA developer and should fucking look like it. As far as I'm concerned the best games technically on the 360 are not ones made by T10).
One of my all-time favorite racing games delivered night racing and dynamic weather effects... over 13 years ago.

12469.JPG

Then again, Turn 10 can't even deliver realistic looking race spectators so I suppose we shouldn't be asking for much.

Zinthar

meanwhile, gt6 is doing 1440x1080 with dynamic time and weather on the ps3, worked on by only 140 people.

let's just put that into perspective, dan.

I haven't picked up GT6 [yet], but from what I've read the 1440x1080 is prone to noticeably dip below 60 when you kick up dirt on the side of the track, for instance. At 720p it's reportedly not an issue.

Too bad MS axed bizarre, they cut the wrong studio. They were way ahead when it came to things like this.

I like how MS is the bad guy when Bizarre was an independent developer and MS paid them to dev 4 games, yet Activision was the one who bought and later closed them.

Besides does Playground not have a substantial Bizarre crew on its roster?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
lol, Jesus. The game is a lot of fun. I have yet to buy a single credit or token yet I have over 20 cars including the McLaren P1. Races are fun, driving feels great, and the cars and tracks look beautiful. Quit over exaggerating.

Tell me about it, people blow shit out of proportion..

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'm honestly just kind of at a loss that Nighttime/weather isn't already in this game. Like... those feel like things that have evolved beyond special, box blurb kind of features and more like a staple of the genre.. especially in this next gen.

Fucking GT6 running circles around your realism on a PS3 is not exactly a great way to roll into your first next gen racer eh?

Seriously, I'll be honest here, but it's disappointing that after 4 Forza games, five counting Horizon, four of them on the 360, and now we finally have a next generation Forza on XBone and still no weather?

Disappointing.

I wish he would stop using the word "bespoke". It so fucking pretentious. Everything everyone makes for every game is "bespoke". They supposedly rebuilt everything from the ground up, they could have implemented all this but they didn't think it was important enough to invest in. Now it's bitting them is the ass and they've painted themselves into a technological corner and can't do anything about it.

Flavius

Dan and his team shifted from listening to fan feedback on GT, to becoming the very thing they distanced themselves from back when Forza launched.

Wish all of those dudes the best, but hubris is a real bitch...ain't it?

HokieJoe

No game has topped Rallisport Challenge 2 for night and rain / snow racing for me. I don' think GT5's implementation of rain on select tracks was anything to write home about, but the time of day changes were certainly very cool (I haven't seen GT6).

PGR2 night races were awesome as well. Chicago, Washington DC, Edinburgh, Moscow! Damn I miss those track layouts. Night racing reduces the number of tracks necessary to maintain variety in a game IMO. You could set up races online races with rain as well. It took getting used to, but it was fun.

Mobius 1

Dan and his team shifted from listening to fan feedback on GT, to becoming the very thing they distanced themselves from back when Forza launched.

Wish all of those dudes the best, but hubris is a real bitch...ain't it?

Pretty much how I feel about it. I still think FM1 was their best and most honest effort.

HokieJoe

Only speaking of weather here. I'd prefer they did it right or didn't do it at all. While visually appealing I've yet to play a console game that does a good job simulating actual realistic traction in different forms of weather.

Not including night time makes no sense to me. Hopefully it's all in 6.

That's why I'd rather have night racing. It would be easier to do. I could see where doing weather would be a lot more complicated. Not just only visuals, but the handling as well.

hardvibes

You see? It's all about compromises:

-60 fps
-tire flex
-16 cars for every race
-extensive visual and mechanical damage

but

-no weather changes and wet driving conditions simulated (based on factors like temperature, pressure and humidity, all in real time) which affect the appearance of the track and how cars handle on it
-no time transitions
-no races on snow/gravel/dirt(Horizon is an exception), with specific tires to choose.
-visually speaking, add body/tires collecting grass/dust/snow and smoke dispersion (in Forza all I see are little clouds)

Also combine weather and time transitions on the same race: it's A LOT of work. Those are important factors in a simulator, and in real life of course.

I like forza, I played FM3 and 4 religiously, offline and online, but fanboys must stop praising it like it's always superior. The Holy Grail. It's not.

Compromises. It's the same story for all games on console. There are time and hardware limitations.

EDIT:
GT6 is 1440 x 1080 with weather and night racing... on a PS3 with some dips. Turn 10 has no excuses.
This.

With all the power the xbone has, I can't believe they still didn't add what Polyphony achieved 3-4 years ago on an old gen console.

Instead of adding stuff, they removed.
Rush everything to sell a Day 1 game: Must.Get.Monnnneeeey.

HokieJoe

I don't think anyone thinks is a simple switch to flip in either case.

It's become quite laughable though that both of these "simulators" ignore major aspects of auto racing and cry its "too hard".

Plenty of other games have had day/night cycles damage, dynamic weather. Why is it impossible to do all of it?

I don't need ray traced headlamp beams, I want a visual approximation of driving at night.

I don't need a full crash test simulator, I want some sort of mechanical penalty for ramming the wall at 100mph. Give me a flat from rubbing wheels, reduced aero performance from breaking my wing. SOMETHING.

I don't need fluid dynamics puddle simulations, but variable grip and poor track conditions should absolutely be in the game.

To be fair, I think the graphical arms race (which graphics whores a very adamant about) and limited console hardware is probably what makes it hard. I'm glad the game is 1080p/60fps but I would settle for 900p/60fps and night racing.

HokieJoe

I actually agree with you. I also disagree that F1 is the "highest" motorsport any more. It's a glorified spec series. All of the innovation now happens in endurance racing. Le Mans and the Nurburgring 24 hour races are the kings.

I agree.

To be fair, I think the graphical arms race (which graphics whores a very adamant about) and limited console hardware is probably what makes it hard. I'm glad the game is 1080p/60fps but I would settle for 900p/60fps and night racing.

GT6 is 1440 x 1080 with weather and night racing... on a PS3 with some dips. Turn 10 has no excuses.

saladine1

I don't think we are ever going to see weather or night in Forza. It seems Greenawalt is just downright against the idea for some reason.

Driving around during the daytime year after year, track after track has become monotonous to say the least.

Variation is the key here and what better way than the hallowed variables of darkness and water?

HokieJoe

I don't think we are ever going to see weather or night in Forza. It seems Greenawalt is just downright against the idea for some reason.

Driving around during the daytime year after year, track after track has become monotonous to say the least.

Variation is the key here and what better way than the hallowed variables of darkness and water?

That and the lack of tracks really hurts the series IMO and I'm a huge fan of Forza Motorsport. The series has a lot going for it really, but the lack of track locations really bothers me.

Well maybe if the xbone hardware wasn't so shitty they wouldn't have had to go with prebaked lighting and shadows and then people could have had day and night cycles instead of microtransactions

jiiikoo

Banned
Well maybe if the xbone hardware wasn't so shitty they wouldn't have had to go with prebaked lighting and shadows and then people could have had day and night cycles instead of microtransactions

I don't think it's because of the Xbox One having poor hardware. It can't be that, seeing as GT6 has them both on PS3. I don't see any other reason than that the developers were lazy.

NeoGash

It seems they can't be fucked changing their engine significantly. Microsoft threw money at 343i, and they made Halo 4 look too good for a current-gen game, but Forza even on next-gen has not accomplished shit. I am not saying weather (lol) the game is good or not, but it certainly isn't pushing boundaries. If Microsoft gave them half as much money as they threw at 343i to make a new engine, Forza might seriously be amazing again. Such a shame, as if you add night racing to every track, it basically doubles the track count IMO and makes the game look and feel infinitely better. I'm surprised they want to try and look 'amazing' graphically, but don't have night racing. You can have a game running on much weaker hardware but look so much better with it.

His words are all bullshit IMO, it seems he'd rather lie to us about MTAs and try to justify them than give us a straight yes or no answer for night and weather. Seriously, if I was a reviewer I'd be docking those points like a motherfucker for Forza 5 and inevitably Forza 6 for not having night and weather racing. It isn't a 'cool little feature' like that useless fucking 'Forzavista' shit that I'm sure most of us used for an hour or two tops, it is a damn necessity. I'm not saying the Forza games are bad (I love the ones on 360), but now they need to do something else or die.

Forza Horizon looks like the only Forza series I'll play now.

NeoGash

One of my all-time favorite racing games delivered night racing and dynamic weather effects... over 13 years ago.

12469.JPG

Then again, Turn 10 can't even deliver realistic looking race spectators so I suppose we shouldn't be asking for much.

I remember playing Gran Turismo 1 on the PS1 and it had night racing (I think on at least one map, a city or Tokyo one). I never played Forza 1 (didn't have an Xbox....but I could play it on my 360 as I think my brother might have it...) but it had night racing apparently....so I don't know why'd they'd go backwards for an entire generation and now what looks to be a second generation. If Forza 6 has no weather or night racing (has to have at least night racing IMO then weather) or any other revolutionary feature (highly doubtful), I hope reviewers destroy it and give it a 6 tops.

Shaneus

12469.JPG

Motherfucking Melbourne House. It'll come to a bit of a shock if you fire it up now, but it's still every bit as fun as it was in it's heyday.

I don't think it's because of the Xbox One having poor hardware. It can't be that, seeing as GT6 has them both on PS3. I don't see any other reason than that the developers were lazy.

How realistic is weather in GT5 and 6 or is more an visual effect with traction -30?

I for Forza 6 i expect at least time of day transition time to dump the baked lighting i rather take an hit on the lighting quality so it can be dynamic. And give players the option to set time of day for tracks online matches.

My favourite racing moment this gen was the racing in Nurburgring and Le Mans from sunrise to sunset in GT5. So amazing. I don't know why its taking them so long since this question has been going since FM3 especially considering the size of their team in comparison to PD's.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's too hard to drive in the rain. Dan Greenawalt, Forza 3, 2009:

Graphically the 360 could do it, but it would be hard to pull off. 60fps is really important. Dan Greenawalt, Forza 4, 2011:

Hey man, it's really hard to do. Also, 60fps is really important. Dan Greenawalt, Forza 5, 2013:

But hey I'm totally sure Forza 6 will have it.

Oh wow, I love this.

Dan, get some of the old PGR4 team on the phone, surely they are bumming around at microsoft studios somewhere. Those guys did weather soooo right!

Top Bottom