• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maligna

Banned
As much as I've enjoyed the series so far, I think you're right on the money about Denise and Gordon/Tamara. Some of those scenes made me a bit uncomfortable and I'm surprised not to have heard more criticism about that.

I know. I love Gordon and Albert so it's really disappointing me that much more.

Each of our dispatchers have roaming profiles with their own desktops.

So what do you think?

Edit: Not agreeing with the opinions in the Twin Peaks Podcast, but enjoying the comedy and banter. Espescially the talk of James taking Wally under his wing. That stuff was hilarious.

I know right!? It would be the greatest team up.

I'm actually glad to see James again. I missed him. Hope he's treated better in this season than he was in season 2.

an hour of week is great, stop complaining. it'll be the last bit of twin peaks you'll ever get
Funny and true. Still, I'm just super psyched it's going out with a BANG instead of a cliffhanger.... And Lynch is surely delivering. While I understand others' complaints, I am two hundred percent happy that they're exploring the mystical side a bit more than the soap opera stuff. I love the soap stuff mind you- I rewatch season 2 with all the rest, James is great and you're all haters- but nightmare Lynch is so strong, and R rated Twin Peaks is honestly what I prefer. *

* I'm only two episodes in but I doubt this will change. Third tonight!

I can see it being under or overwhelming for others though, for sure. My wife had to point out to me that the evolution of the arm was in fact referring to his cut off arm, not just some abstract notion. D'oh!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
What were the issues?
Gordon bluntly talks about Denise having previously been Dennis - considered pretty damn rude, and in this context unnecessary - in a scene when he's basically patting himself on the back for accepting her. Then he acts uncomfortable about her talking about issues relating to her hormones.

Tamara is played by a singer that Lynch has long had a 'creepy old man' kinda thing with who can not act. He's translated this creepy old man subtext to the text of the show itself, with Gordon talking up her beauty to Denise. Her charcter isn't treated seriously by Gordon and Albert. Fair enough that they need to discuss secrets, but they dismiss her with zero tact. Maybe she'll prove to be more competent than we think and their condescension will be addressed in the narrative later on, but the sexism is reenforced by Tamara's over the top 'Hmmph!' gasp, and as she leaves we get a lingering ass shot which is revealed to be Gordon and Albert's POV. She walks with a Jessica Rabbit hip swing.
She's presented as a sex object.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't seen anything to suggest that David Lynch has a "creepy old man" relationship with Christa Bell apart from people reading way too much into promo pics. His music videos with her are pure Lynch though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pffDL25zLg
Someone posted an interview segment a few pages ago with her talking about him talking about her ass.
I don't know the specifics of their thing but I get a skeevy vibe.

Big Nikus

Well I definitely hope that Tamara is treated better, I can't reconcile the character I've seen on the show and the one in The Secret History of Twin Peaks.
As for the dialogue with Denise, I think there were misteps that I attribute to Lynch being a bit out of touch. I was dreading the return of Denise and it wasn't as bad as I expected (I mean, I was hoping she would return but feared it would be 100% terrible). Still, it definitely needs to be criticized.
I love the expression "fix your heart or die" though.

Anyway, I need Twin Peaks wallpapers and I can't find any good one. Plz help.

bunbun777

At the end of episode 4 who most likely is the girl Albert is referencing that he can find at the bar? Is it mz. Horne?

Big Nikus

At the end of episode 4 who most likely is the girl Albert is referencing that he can find at the bar? Is it mz. Horne?

Or Annie, if she's still alive. Or Sarah, Laura's mom. I mean, we saw her for one scene kinda for no reason. Maybe it was to introduce her ?
But I'd place my bet on Audrey.

Either her or Diane seem to be the most popular theories

But we're not supposed to see Diane ever. That would be cheap fan-service imo :/
Wait, could it be Laura Dern ?
Bah, I'll just keep trusting Lynch blindly, he has yet to disappoint me.

Or Annie, if she's still alive. Or Sarah, Laura's mom. I mean, we saw her for one scene kinda for no reason. Maybe it was to introduce her ?
But I'd place my bet on Audrey.

But we're not supposed to see Diane ever. That would be cheap fan-service imo :/
Wait, could it be Laura Dern ?
Bah, I'll just keep trusting Lynch blindly, he has yet to disappoint me.

I'm guessing its Sarah, we know she has visions which may assist in the investigation, plus the two pieces of media with her in the new season (promo pic and inside Palmer home) has been booze related, hence the "I know where she drinks" line. Also minor shooting spoiler from when they were filming in Washington,
she's seen smoking the rest of a cigarette before entering the Bang Bang Bar while looking around nervously.
Last part could be unrelated but my bet is its her.

Big Nikus

I'm guessing its Sarah, we know she has visions which may assist in the investigation, plus the two pieces of media with her in the new season (promo pic and inside Palmer home) has been booze related, hence the "I know where she drinks" line. Also minor shooting spoiler from when they were filming in Washington,
she's seen smoking the rest of a cigarette before entering the Bang Bang Bar while looking around nervously.
Last part could be unrelated but my bet is its her.

Ah yeah, I didn't remember the "I know where she drinks" line. Changing my bet to Sarah then.

Flipyap

What could a woman who met Cooper a handful of times when she was a teenager during his month-long stay in town possibly have to say in the matter?

I'm guessing its Sarah, we know she has visions which may assist in the investigation, plus the two pieces of media with her in the new season (promo pic and inside Palmer home) has been booze related, hence the "I know where she drinks" line.
Isn't she a complete stranger to the FBI duders? Even if they somehow became aware of her super powers, figuring out where Sarah Palmer lives doesn't seem like much of a mystery.
Also, I'm pretty sure she drinks at home. Alone. Watching gross shit on her massive TV, not surrounded by dozens of happy people swaying to modern pop music.

hydruxo

What could a woman who met Cooper a handful of times when she was a teenager during his month-long stay in town possibly have to say in the matter?

Isn't she a complete stranger to the FBI duders? Even if they somehow became aware of her super powers, figuring out where Sarah Palmer lives doesn't seem like much of a mystery.
Also, I'm pretty sure she drinks at home. Alone. Watching gross shit on her massive TV, not surrounded by dozens of happy people swaying to modern pop music.

Yeah I don't see how they'd be familiar enough with Sarah to know where she drinks. It being Diane makes sense to me.

I'd think they'd know of her by now, I mean Coop had to be sending some kind of progress reports back to Philly with the pertinent info on who's who in town during the initial investigation, especially a description of someone potentially closer to a blue rose case in the way Sarah was. Besides, who knows what happened in the intervening years (yes my lack of the knowing the prequel book's contents isn't helping here) and what Cole and Co may have picked up on once Cooper disappeared.

I have a hard time believing they wouldn't send anyone out to investigate once the initial disappearance occurred and may have heard of her interaction with Briggs where she was channeling Earle, makes me think her connection to all this is deeper than just "oops got drugged there's that damn horse again!" or just general life shittiness. As for the the bar, I agree that don't seem like her scene, but she's the only booze hound we know of rn so I'm stickin with that till we got more.

Also has Diane ever been confirmed as a character in this season or is that just wishful fan service projection?

Flipyap

Also has Diane ever been confirmed as a character in this season or is that just wishful fan service projection?
It's wishful thinking, but if they're going to meet a previously named character, there's no better bet than Diane. Other than Denise, she's the only female character who's established to have known Cooper for longer than a month and she's someone Albert could have kept in touch with over the years.

I get what you mean about Sarah, I'm just having trouble fitting her into Albert's cryptic tease. Especially since they'd probably have to fly her over to South Dakota to take a look at Doop. Having someone solve the mystery for them by looking at a picture would be rather anticlimactic.

It's wishful thinking, but if they're going to meet a previously named character, there's no better bet than Diane. Other than Denise, she's the only female character who's established to have known Cooper for longer than a month and she's someone Albert could have kept in touch with over the years.

I get what you mean about Sarah, I'm just having trouble fitting her into Albert's cryptic tease. Especially since they'd probably have to fly her over to South Dakota to take a look at Doop. Having someone solve the mystery for them by looking at a picture would be rather anticlimactic.

Yeah I hear ya, though you bringing up the picture thing now makes me see her having a flash of Bob behind the "mask". Cue hysterical Sarah scream.

asagami_

Banned
Unrelated to Twin Peaks, but I finally watched Inland Empire. I... I don't know what I watched. It doesn't help my mexican DVD copy lacks of subtitles to the polish dialogues.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Unrelated to Twin Peaks, but I finally watched Inland Empire. I... I don't know what I watched. It doesn't help my mexican DVD copy lacks of subtitles to the polish dialogues.

The Polish scenes don't become much more comprehensible even if you know what they're saying.

Inland Empire took me a few watches before I started to get any assembly of what it was about, but don't worry discussing this. I think many are partially using this as a Lynch general discussion in some ways as the new season does inspire to finally watch the few Lynch works you maybe haven't or rewatch a few of his works.

Diane makes way more sense than any of the characters in Twin Peaks. Audrey would be way more fan service than it being Diane. People just don't want Diane to be a real character is my opinion. It's not a big deal that we never saw her in the original series. And that awful scene in the missing pieces was wisely cut. Diane is real. No reason. She should be kept off screen unless the creators want that... And she remains the most logical answer. Not the only answer, but the most logical.

Diane makes way more sense than any of the characters in Twin Peaks. Audrey would be way more fan service than it being Diane. People just don't want Diane to be a real character is my opinion. It's not a big deal that we never saw her in the original series. And that awful scene in the missing pieces was wisely cut. Diane is real. No reason. She should be kept off screen unless the creators want that... And she remains the most logical answer. Not the only answer, but the most logical.

What was the scene in TMP? I never got to watch that.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The person I'm placing my bets on is Laura's mother, since she had the ability to see Bob in the original series. Also she is seen drinking alone in her house, which could explain Albert's drinking comment. Diane is my secondary answer since I think she'd know Cooper the best, but I'm taking it to be someone who has experience with the supernatural as they talk about Blue Roses, unless Diane has experience with the supernatural, but I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Flipyap

The person I'm placing my bets on is Laura's mother, since she had the ability to see Bob in the original series. Also she is seen drinking alone in her house, which could explain Albert's drinking comment.
"Do you still know where she lives?"

"I know where she drinks."

"Cool beans! Where does she drink?"

"She drinks where she lives."

"Albert, that sound you just made with your mouth, it's like a knife in my brain."

It's definitely gonna be Diane

Yeah I don't see how they'd be familiar enough with Sarah to know where she drinks. It being Diane makes sense to me.
Yeah, when folks started mentioning the possible Dern-Diane association in this thread, I became a believer.

The drinking thing and Sarah seems a little too on the nose but you never know I suppose. But you would think Sarah is damaged goods (very understandably) and wouldn't be a reliable resource.

Gordon and Cole's convo suggested a possible confidant of Coop, unless I'm misremembering the scene. If so, Diane exclusively fits the bill.

Edit: Check that, Albert and Cole's convo ...

Big Nikus

It's disappointing that Diane is an actual person. I liked the idea of Coop naming his tape recorder and having conversations with it.

It's a bit of both actually... He always "speaks" to Diane even if he knows she'll never hear the tape. I'm sure she listens to some, but not all of them. I read the Autobiography of Dale Cooper a few weeks ago (written by Mark Frost's brother), it was a nice read, and Coop says in it that he likes to think he's talking to Diane because she's someone he respects a lot.

fake edit: here it is >

December 19, 1977, 9 P.M.
Never realized crime generated so much paperwork. Spent my first day on the job behind a desk, sifting through mountains of waste left over by the last agent in my position. Disappointed that I was not able to bring anyone to justice on my first day. I have been assigned a secretary. Her name is Diane. Believe her experience will be of great help. She seems an interesting cross between a saint and a cabaret singer.

And later :

January 10, 11 P.M.
Diane, I hope that you will not mind that I address these tapes to you even when it is clear that I am talking to myself. The knowledge that someone of your insight is standing behind me is comforting. The Roe house is quiet now. We wait for the phone call that we know must be coming.

I think that's super cute lol, I love Coop.

It's Just Cooper talking to her while she's out of frame.

Also, buy the boxset
I watched the series on Netflix, iirc, and I rented FWWM on Amazon. I dunno if I really want to buy them.
It's a bit of both actually... He always "speaks" to Diane even if he knows she'll never hear the tape. I'm sure she listens to some, but not all of them. I read the Autobiography of Dale Cooper a few weeks ago (written by Mark Frost's brother), it was a nice read, and Coop says in it that he likes to think he's talking to Diane because she's someone he respects a lot.

fake edit: here it is >

December 19, 1977, 9 P.M.
Never realized crime generated so much paperwork. Spent my first day on the job behind a desk, sifting through mountains of waste left over by the last agent in my position. Disappointed that I was not able to bring anyone to justice on my first day. I have been assigned a secretary. Her name is Diane. Believe her experience will be of great help. She seems an interesting cross between a saint and a cabaret singer.

And later :

January 10, 11 P.M.
Diane, I hope that you will not mind that I address these tapes to you even when it is clear that I am talking to myself. The knowledge that someone of your insight is standing behind me is comforting. The Roe house is quiet now. We wait for the phone call that we know must be coming.

I think that's super cute lol, I love Coop.

That is quite cute.

PolishQ

Gordon bluntly talks about Denise having previously been Dennis - considered pretty damn rude, and in this context unnecessary - in a scene when he's basically patting himself on the back for accepting her. Then he acts uncomfortable about her talking about issues relating to her hormones.

Tamara is played by a singer that Lynch has long had a 'creepy old man' kinda thing with who can not act. He's translated this creepy old man subtext to the text of the show itself, with Gordon talking up her beauty to Denise. Her charcter isn't treated seriously by Gordon and Albert. Fair enough that they need to discuss secrets, but they dismiss her with zero tact. Maybe she'll prove to be more competent than we think and their condescension will be addressed in the narrative later on, but the sexism is reenforced by Tamara's over the top 'Hmmph!' gasp, and as she leaves we get a lingering ass shot which is revealed to be Gordon and Albert's POV. She walks with a Jessica Rabbit hip swing.
She's presented as a sex object.
I agree that there are issues with her presentation so far, but isn't it also a bit sexist to judge her acting ability based on what, three scenes? You'd probably be saying the same thing about Naomi Watts' first three scenes in Mulholland Drive if that was all you had seen, where of course her over-the-topness turned out to be a calculated direction from Lynch. I'm not saying Agent Preston is some dream character who's going to completely change personalities later on (although with BOB around, who knows), but I do think the stylized acting is intentional. Lynch tends to get the performances that he wants from his actors.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that there are issues with her presentation so far, but isn't it also a bit sexist to judge her acting ability based on what, three scenes? You'd probably be saying the same thing about Naomi Watts' first three scenes in Mulholland Drive if that was all you had seen, where of course her over-the-topness turned out to be a calculated direction from Lynch. I'm not saying Agent Preston is some dream character who's going to completely change personalities later on (although with BOB around, who knows), but I do think the stylized acting is intentional. Lynch tends to get the performances that he wants from his actors.
My assumption that she can't act is informed by her being a singer favoured by the director who's never really acted before, not her being a woman, so no, it's not sexist.
Naomi Watts performance in Mulholland Drive is wonderful from her introduction, and the over the topness of it is consistent with the overly earnest and sweet scene with the old couple. The same could be said for Kyle Maclachlan and Laura Dern in Blue Velvet. Or even Cornelia Guest as Phyllis Hastings in this season. They're succesful stylized performances that are in keeping with the tone of the film.
Tamara Preston has felt out of place in her scenes so far. There might be a good reason for this revealed later, but right now I'm calling it a mistep.

Newcomer here.
Wanted to give this show a shot but OP says to only start with S1 and S2?

It's not like Fargo where watching the OG movie isn't necessary?

OléGunner;239110758 said:
Newcomer here.
Wanted to give this show a shot but OP says to only start with S1 and S2?

It's not like Fargo where watching the OG movie isn't necessary?

You really need to watch the first 2 seasons ans Fire Walk With Me or it wont make any sense.

superfly

Rewatching the familiar faces trailer and have a feeling that Cooper could be Mr C. So it's possible he'll clean up and go FBI agent. Let's see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom