• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentRob

I wish people would stop saying this.

While evil Cooper might have been a vessel of Bob, which is entirely possible, in no way is it happening right now.

The mirror scene was there to show the connection with this new Cooper to the lodge, represented by bob.

Maybe he actually was on board in that brief sequence too to guide Cooper at first and help him adapt.

Bob hasn't been in cooper once in season 3.

Lynch confirmed evil cooper was not bob and was not taken over by bob.

He did it in season 2 and he did it recently too.

Bob NEVER needed cooper as a vessel, he could already posses people and leave the lodge.

I'm gonna need some sourcing for all of that^^ Especially that "Lynch confirmed evil cooper was not bob or taken over by him"-part.

Flipyap

While evil Cooper might have been a vessel of Bob, which is entirely possible, in no way is it happening right now.
(...)

Fauxllip Jeffries draws a direct connection between Doop going back in and reuniting with Bob.

Lynch confirmed that the Coopers aren't possessed, but he did say that the doppelganger was "with Bob"/"occupied by Bob" There's nothing suggesting that he stopped being "with Bob," especially in light of what Fauxllip Jeffries said.
The exact quote is "(...) Coop wasn’t occupied by BOB. Part of him was. There are two Coops in there, and the one that came out was, you know, with BOB."

AoM

I'm gonna need some sourcing for all of that^^ Especially that "Lynch confirmed evil cooper was not bob or taken over by him"-part.

I think they meant after S2 for the former part (which I think is referring back to this; which itself is referring to the doppelgänger), but I'd like to see this more recent confirmation from Lynch.

I wish people would stop saying this.

The mirror scene was there to show the connection with this new Cooper to the lodge, represented by bob.

Maybe he actually was on board in that brief sequence too to guide Cooper at first and help him adapt.

He did it in season 2 and he did it recently too.

Bob NEVER needed cooper as a vessel, he could already posses people and leave the lodge.

-There is really not enough evidence to support otherwise.

-Season 2 finale: Bob didn't just visit DoppelCooper in the mirror like he has done in earlier episodes, he was perfectly reflected with DoppelCoopers image. Just like Leland's reveal was which indicates that Bob was inside DoppelCooper.

-I've not seen anything from Lynch to indicate that DoppelCooper isn't possessed by Bob in some capacity. His only comments stated that the Cooper seen in the season 2 finale is "not Bob" but instead his doppelganger. What that comment says to me is that he was clarifying to the interviewer that the good Cooper is not possessed by Bob and is instead stuck in the lodge. It doesn't mean that DoppelCooper doesn't carry Bob in some capacity.

-Adding to that, his next comment about DoppelCooper said that Bob was "with him". That can be taken in multiple ways sure, but Bob using DoppelCooper as a vessel is a sure frontrunner for an explantation.

-We haven't Bob possess DoppelCooper directly this season but it would be hard to depict this visually with Frank Silva being dead. The only thing we have to support it is the phone call with Jeffries where he states, "You will go back and I will be with Bob again." That indicated to me that Jeffries (or whoever it was) wanted to put DoppelCooper back in the lodge so that he could be with Bob like DoppelCooper has been for the past 25 years.

-I don't recall Bob being able to possess or be with more than one person at a time which would support my previous claim. Jeffries wants Bob with him, why? Maybe because he's eager for fun.

-Bob doesn't need to DoppelCoop as a vessel, but he doesn't need anything. He wants ;)

Even though it's a pet peeve for you when people refer to DoppelCoop as Bob. There's not enough evidence to support that Bob is not related to him in some capacity. It's perfectly logical to have the theory that you do, but I don't see how we can dismiss other theories without substantial proof.

^^^ Completely agree. I do think there is enough to distinguish Doppelcoop and Bob as separate entities, but there's no real telling the specifics of the situation yet.

PolishQ

Yup. "Coop wasn't occupied by Bob. Part of him was."

In other words, the Good Cooper wasn't possessed by Bob, but his Doppelganger was.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
MY stance is that this season has so far been very sparse in suggesting who/what/where BOB is right now, outside of the fact BOB is SOMEWHERE. He could be in Evil Cooper, he could be in the Lodge, he could be in the owls, I don't fucking know and I don't think anyone confidently at this point could say so here.

The only 100% cemented thing is Cooper's Doppelganger is not 100% Bob, he is his own entity. That much has been established. But in these first four parts there's not anything concrete to say where Bob is right now.

Lynch and Kyle both make it sound in interviews like Bob is with Doppelganger Cooper in some capacity, but we will see.

-There is really not enough evidence to support otherwise.

-Season 2 finale: Bob didn't just visit DoppelCooper in the mirror like he has done in earlier episodes, he was perfectly reflected with DoppelCoopers image. Just like Leland's reveal was which indicates that Bob was inside DoppelCooper.

-I've not seen anything from Lynch to indicate that DoppelCooper isn't possessed by Bob in some capacity. His only comments stated that the Cooper seen in the season 2 finale is "not Bob" but instead his doppelganger. What that comment says to me is that he was clarifying to the interviewer that the good Cooper is not possessed by Bob and is instead stuck in the lodge. It doesn't mean that DoppelCooper doesn't carry Bob in some capacity.

-Adding to that, his next comment about DoppelCooper said that Bob was "with him". That can be taken in multiple ways sure, but Bob using DoppelCooper as a vessel is a sure frontrunner for an explantation.

-We haven't Bob possess DoppelCooper directly this season but it would be hard to depict this visually with Frank Silva being dead. The only thing we have to support it is the phone call with Jeffries where he states, "You will go back and I will be with Bob again." That indicated to me that Jeffries (or whoever it was) wanted to put DoppelCooper back in the lodge so that he could be with Bob like DoppelCooper has been for the past 25 years.

-I don't recall Bob being able to possess or be with more than one person at a time which would support my previous claim. Jeffries wants Bob with him, why? Maybe because he's eager for fun.

-Bob doesn't need to DoppelCoop as a vessel, but he doesn't need anything. He wants ;)

Even though it's a pet peeve for you when people refer to DoppelCoop as Bob. There's not enough evidence to support that Bob is not related to him in some capacity. It's perfectly logical to have the theory that you do, but I don't see how we can dismiss other theories without substantial proof.

I'm on Team Bob-Cooper. The only reason we haven't seen BOB's reflection is because Frank Silva is no longer with us. What we're left with is 'Dark' Coop, a black Mirror of Cooper, with BOB's murderous tendencies thrown in.

After Leland, BOB was pushed back to the Lodge. By controlling Bad Coop, and as shown with their creation of Dougie and subsequent plot to stay out of the Lodge, BOB can stay out feasting on Garmanbozia for as long as he pleases without sharing with MIKE and The Arm.

PolishQ

A little more evidence, from the Secret Diary:

I'm to the point where I don't care anymore, BOB. Do whatever you need to do.

I DON'T NEED ANYTHING.

How nice for you. Now get out of my head!

I WANT THINGS.

Awfully similar to Evil Coop's dialogue in Part 2.

Airola

I think DoppelCoop is a bit too emotionless and cold to be "with Bob", so perhaps Bob was with him and there was more "glee" with the crimes he did. But maybe Bob is now gone and DoppelCoop is looking for to be with Bob again so that he could again feel the pleasure of whatever he is doing. Now he is just going through the motions and that doesn't give him pleasure anymore. He doesn't need Bob. He wants Bob.

Maybe Bob is not only the symbol of the evil that men do, but also the symbol of the pleasure people get out of doing nasty things. And just as an addict at some point loses the sense of pleasure from whatever he's doing and just does things out of habit, people with Bob are sensing tremendous feelings of pleasure and when he is gone they crave for what they once felt.

However, that diary quote might be quite a good evidence to the contrary. Which would be a bit disappointing because I don't quite like the sense of coldness this DoppelCoop seems to have. I mean, the season 2 finale was way different and how about the season 2 midpoint kill where he had cornered his victim and playfully gestures with his fingers "come on".... Bob is much more interesting when there is the sense of pleasure instead of being just cold and killing people by shooting with a gun.

I think DoppelCoop is a bit too emotionless and cold to be "with Bob", so perhaps Bob was with him and there was more "glee" with the crimes he did. But maybe Bob is now gone and DoppelCoop is looking for to be with Bob again so that he could again feel the pleasure of whatever he is doing. Now he is just going through the motions and that doesn't give him pleasure anymore. He doesn't need Bob. He wants Bob.

Maybe Bob is not only the symbol of the evil that men do, but also the symbol of the pleasure people get out of doing nasty things. And just as an addict at some point loses the sense of pleasure from whatever he's doing and just does things out of habit, people with Bob are sensing tremendous feelings of pleasure and when he is gone they crave for what they once felt.

However, that diary quote might be quite a good evidence to the contrary. Which would be a bit disappointing because I don't quite like the sense of coldness this DoppelCoop seems to have. I mean, the season 2 finale was way different and how about the season 2 midpoint kill where he had cornered his victim and playfully gestures with his fingers "come on".... Bob is much more interesting when there is the sense of pleasure instead of being just cold and killing people by shooting with a gun.

There could be change due to a lot of factors though. There's just not enough information to go on. We're dealing with a Doppelcoop that is seeming very concerned about going back to the Black Lodge, it's been 25 years and he's not praying on young girls in sexual ways(at least from what we've seen) there could be so many things that have changed that it's really hard to say just by what little we've seen.

munchie64

no it wasn't. First off, actress was not in it. Second, seeming that because you thought she was Asian she was Josie is pretty racist. No other reason to link the two.
tumblr_oqor2c6ucX1t7yzowo2_400.gif

A little more evidence, from the Secret Diary:

Awfully similar to Evil Coop's dialogue in Part 2.

Best evidence I've seen yet. Great find. I won't say there is no evidence to suggest he's Bob in the new series going forwards, cause that's pretty clearly supporting evidence that he is. I still think he isn't, personally... but I'll be less aggressive about it.

All will hopefully be revealed by the end! That's the fun of seeing this in parts. We're debating and speculating a lot of things that we'll get answers to (I know we'll still be left with questions afterwards) and that's a hugely rare luxury as a Twin Peaks fan, what with the canon being seemingly closed for so long.

On another topic, I'm incredibly proud of my wife. If you listened to episode 4 of Idle Thumbs Twin Peaks Rewatch Season 3 thing, they read out her e-mail. She's the first one they read out. My wife, fact checking Twin Peaks podcasts, and I didn't even know she'd e-mailed them until I heard them read out her name. She's thinking about getting a tattoo like Margaret Lanterman's mark too. It would be her first.

And to think for a long time she didn't think of herself as a big fan (mainly in contrast to people we know like Brad Dukes). She is wide awake now though.

Daft_Cat

not even a passable attempt at criticism.

You know that race is a thing, right? Like - it's an actual physical characteristic? Not to mention it's been 25 years, and the original show isn't necessarily fresh in everyone's minds. And then there's the fact that the elusive woman's face is partially obscured, making it even more likely that some might confuse her for another female character of the same race who met a rather elusive fate in the original Twin Peaks.

Chitown B

You know that race is a thing, right? Like - it's an actual physical characteristic? Not to mention it's been 25 years, and the original show isn't necessarily fresh in everyone's minds. And then there's the fact that the elusive woman's face is partially obscured, making it even more likely that some might confuse her for another female character of the same race who met a rather elusive fate in the original Twin Peaks.

They don't look similar at all facially. If you followed enough to remember what happened to Josie, you remember her enough to know that's not her. I won't even get into the fact that race is actually not "a thing" and is just a social idea.

Moving on.

Daft_Cat

They don't look similar at all facially. If you followed enough to remember what happened to Josie, you remember her enough to know that's not her. I won't even get into the fact that race is actually not "a thing" and is just a social idea.

Moving on.

SOC101 aside, you're clutching at straws here in a way that feels unduly political.

Not to mention Joan Chen is Chinese and Nae Yuuki Japanese.

This seems to me like something someone might easily fail to notice? I don't know. I've confused characters on the grounds of hair color, facial features, etc. I never thought that character was Josie (they aren't close in appearance at all to my eyes), but to call that poster a racist is a bridge too far.

Kadayi

Banned
Is there a gif of Naomi Watts asking Coop if he won the jackpot and his response at all? I've had a look around and can't find one. I just loved that bit.

A decade ago (or so), I watched season 1 on DVD with my brother and I loved it. We wanted to jump right into season 2, but we couldn't find a DVD version anywhere and then summer break ended and we just kinda forgot about it.

Well, two weeks ago I finally decided to watch the whole thing - still haven't caught up, though. I'm about to watch episode 10 from the second season (the first of, according to some, the series' bad part). I don't really care if what comes after is bad, though. What came before is incredible and already makes the whole experience absolutely worth it.

Now, I was 15 or so when I first watched the first season. As I said, I loved it then. But now, it's something else altogether - the series resonated with me in a totally unexpected way. Those ten years made all the difference in appreciating this wonderful show. The music, the characters, the conversations, the surreal aspects, everything just clicked. And BOB... every time he appears, I get genuinely terrified. I don't usually feel discomfort from watching a movie or a show, but the way BOB behaves, the way he is portrayed, the atmosphere, it just gives me chills.

The killer's reveal, I have to say, is probably one of the best television moments I have seen. It's horrifying, it's disgusting, and yet it makes so much sense. It felt like something I knew from the beginning, yet kept denying because it was too cruel. Suddenly Laura's erratic behavior can be understood - a girl who was systematically abused by her (possessed) father, who used drugs to cope with the abuse but at the same time kept trying to reach out to others and be good (Meals on Wheels, Johnny Horne). It's just so tragic...

I will watch the rest of the episodes and Fire Walk With Me before I start season 3, but I had to share my experience thus far and this felt like an appropriate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom