• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch.tv update imposes delay up to 60s in streams, viewer interaction impacted

Venfayth

I find it more likely this is a step closer to them being able to implement transcodes (quality options) for every single stream.

However, I'd rather be able to just play the source resolution with no delay, or at the very least give us a toggle.

Yeah This has been making waves with the streamers I watch every day like Swiftor, and RSQViper and MANvsGame. It's terrible that they've done this because all of the viewers are not at the same delay so when something big happens on stream, there are multiple waves of reactions. It totally sucks and I hope that they roll back or improve it in some way.

Hey, people-that-make-stuff:

It may be a good idea to run your large, sweeping changes by your users before completely screwing them. You'll garner more loyalty with that attitude than "this is better because we said so now deal with it."

And to think... they were in the perfect position to collect all those people wanting to leave youtube looking for a new place to go.

This would really ruin the experience on MANvsGame's stream. I can think of a ton more....

sangreal

Live sports has a delay. As long as it's the same for everyone what's the big deal if it's a min or 10 seconds like a live sporting event.

um the point of the post you quoted is that it doesn't matter for sports. It does matter for people that are streaming and interacting with the viewers, however. I don't see how the Killer Instinct streams by MS Studios will work with a delay, for example. There are also a lot of streams where the viewers give suggestions to the player, which won't work with a 60s delay

It depends if you count the early days when only cool kids were doing it or when it became popular enough for a company like CBS to buy Twitch.

CBS did not buy twitch

um the point of the post you quoted is that it doesn't matter for sports. It does matter for people that are streaming and interacting with the viewers, however. I don't see how the Killer Instinct streams by MS Studios will work with a delay, for example. There are also a lot of streams where the viewers give suggestions to the player, which won't work with a 60s delay

CBS did not buy twitch

Invest or whatever they did then. Semantics.

Codeblue

Um I don't know what stream you're watching but from what I've observed, Twitch chats are usually decent. Especially if they are well moderated.

I was just joking.

The only chat I've ever really paid attention to is the SaltyBet one and it pretty much makes the experience.

It's not semantics at all. They dealt ads for Twtich for awhile. It's like claiming MS bought Facebook or Digg for the same reason

Some would argue that ads/sponsorship's are the same thing really, but I'm not interested in arguing with you on this. Things did change when CBS got involved in however you or me want to define their involvement.

Blackage

Day9 Daily might suffer a tad.

Edit: What am I saying, alot of stuff will suffer.

Commentators talk to people on FGC streams too. -_-

These are the kinds of things that happen when you've monopolized the market. You get to take the cheap way out by negatively impacting the customer. Because you know they don't really have a choice to go anywhere else.

NewGame

Banned
viewer interaction impacted

hq82.png

A 60 second delay? Impacted! Rendered unusable!!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Never? It's the Youtube situation all over again. Where are people going to go? Ustream?

Hah, Twitch's blowing up is a lot newer than youtube's as shown by their small staff. Someone could easily swoop in and take it from them with the right partnerships.

GooeyHeat

I was just joking.

The only chat I've ever really paid attention to is the SaltyBet one and it pretty much makes the experience.
Not only would this ruin chat, it could ruin the betting system entirely if the time difference between the streamer and the users is too great.

vazel

Banned
all these video/streaming dominate sites need some severe competition
I think the problem is very few others can afford the massive bandwidth bills. own3d.tv went out of business because of those bills. That's why twitch.tv owns all their own data centers and is very slow to expand those data centers; they don't want to end up like own3d.

I'm honestly wondering what would happen to Twitch if there was any kind of change in the streaming situation with LoL/Dota.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Well, this fucking bites. I dunno if they've implemented it already or not but i've noticed when starting up my streams that it definitely takes a lot longer to load (always gotta check it to make sure it's running). I'm not that popular but I do have a few who are always there and it's nice to have conversations with them instead of using the keyboard to break up the flow.

Top Bottom