• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch.tv update imposes delay up to 60s in streams, viewer interaction impacted

system11

Soon you'll have to pay 8.95 to have live streaming

I'd be totally ok with paying a monthy charge to stream a reliable high quality service. As much as this sucks there's no way their operating costs aren't very high. And how much have we been paying for the service? Most of us - nothing.

Mesoian

I picked up a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus last night from Best Buy and got it all setup. I can't get a single device in my house to display the stream without some lag and stuttering but a Hauppauge support guy says he's watching it from home and it's running smoothly. Can anyone confirm/deny his claims? I can deal with the delay for now, but from all I can tell, I bought a bum device.

www.twitch.tv/n_squared

Don't watch your own stream. It kills your u/d rate. If you want to interact, just pop out the chat.

Nokterian

Would be wise to open a new thread about hitbox.tv right? For it's early development it shows more promise to me then twitch never could do.

Going to stream later today some dota 2.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There needs to be a way for the streamer to manually choose certain users to stream in real time to for when it's a stream where multiple people are talking over Skype. My friend streams occasionally but the delay of like 10 seconds is hard enough for us to not be interactive enough. And there's no way to cut it down. The outside parties could still have the 60 second delay, but all the people actually part of the stream need to be able to interact in real time video wise.

Grinchy

Banned
A general Twitch chat has 90%+ idiots so I like that decision.

Many streams are like that, and many are not. Dansgaming regularly has 2000 people in his stream. He doesn't use sub-only chat, and yet it's one of the most civil, normal chat rooms I've ever seen on Twitch. It doesn't even scroll too fast to read what's going on. There are other people who have good chat rooms too.

Zemm

Same here, twitch chat is almost always completely fine. The people complaining must be watching fighting game streams like SF4 etc (which have always been shit in my experience) or League of Legends (I have no idea what goes on in those channels).

As much as an issue Twitch is at the moment I still wouldn't touch Hitbox with a barge pole, the current CEO of Hitbox.tv was the CFO of Own3d.tv.

Own3d fucked a lot of people over when they were going under leaving the majority of the partners unpaid for months before closing.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does this have something to do with my PS4 stream yesterday being laggy and skippy as hell? Like, it would run in slow motion, then skip ahead to catch up, pause to buffer, etc. Never seen that before. Or is it just the servers not coping? I have 10 Mbps upload and 100 Mbps download, so I doubt it's my connection.

sensi97

It looks like their fix for lagging issue didn't even last a week. EU servers lag again (for me at least). But no problem when I use an US VPN.
So now, we have 30-60s delay and stuttering. Great...

Setsuna

You would think with all this money Twitch is bringing in they would be able to output consistently good viewing experience
but nope as time goes on it just keeps getting worse and worse

alstein

The best way to get Twitch to improve its service is to make the market more competitive.

If that means supports someone else who may not be reliable- is Twitch being reliable at this time by providing such an inferior product?

With the way Twitch is, I'd give the hitbox folks a 2nd chance.

so that interact feature for the PS4 is pretty much useless now.... also the future take over a friends game/give items feature

USTREAM step your game up so that you could become the norm streamer since Twitch is leaving the title open

Goldmund

Hitbox' chat just stops working after a while for me. After 5 minutes or so, it won't update with messages anymore. Anyone else having that problem?

Arken2121

Just made an account on hitbox. Outside of the barebones setup, the service is amazing. The delay feels shorter than what Twitch used to have and you're able to stream 1080p @60fps with little issue. This service could do very well if it gets decent traffic.

Hitbox' chat just stops working after a while for me. After 5 minutes or so, it won't update with messages anymore. Anyone else having that problem?

Yes. Hitbox chat is broken.

And regarding Hitbox:

I'm about to give up with this service, personally.

Too many ad's: If I go edit my video's or watch my own recordings in the Video Manager, I'm forced to look at an ad. If I send the link of a video to a friend; another ad. If someone pops open my Stream and starts watching; another ad. (Same with refreshing the stream)

It would be one thing, I think, if you were to monetize your videos, to have ads, but another to force all your users to have them EVERYWHERE at all times. I guess this is the only way they are making money for now, and I hope for their sake, once their user-base increases, this changes.

Going to try Ustream next.

Flandy

Don't know where else to ask this so I'll ask here. Ever since this update twitch has basically become unusable to me. Steams buffer for me nonstop every few seconds even on mobile quality. Is there any way to fix this? I have no problems watching 720p video on youtube but twitch barely even wants to buffer :l

Top Bottom