• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft expects Watch Dogs to sell more than 6.2 million units

noobasuar

Banned
I think this will take over for the assasians creed crowd..

Somehow ubisofts managed to sell high amounts of medicore franchises this gen so anythings possible.

Although I don't think this game has the same type of hype that the original assasians creed which I felt was shown in the right time and right place and was kind of lighting in a bottle so it will be interesting to see how this performs.

Dysun

It's doable, but I really wonder if people will be beating down the door for another urban open-world game 2 months after GTAV/SR4. Released at the same time-frame as AC4 might cannibalize it a bit too.

I hope it's good and I hope it does well. But, man, 6.2 million for a new IP seems like a crazy goal. The type of crazy goal that they will blame us, used games, piracy, etc when they don't hit it.

But they have all the buzz in the world right now, to the point of overkill, so best of luck to them. I don't like the Assassin's Creed games (which I hereby vote to rename "Run to the diamond on your HUD!") very much because of the extreme amount of handholding. I sometimes get the vibe that this is going to play like AC in a modern city. I hope that isn't the case.

eh, I wasn't the only one.

I have these exact feeling, hence why Watch Dogs suddenly stopped being interesting for me, every time I watch a demo it looks good, but similar to AC, heck every title Ubi is making now looks like another title, SC got some AC in it, W_D got some AC as well, GRFS was like SCC on steroids, .....etc\

next big thing will be division. I expect WD2 in '15
I am totally interested in The Division (& I hope I don't end up losing that interest later on), as for WD2 well we will see, AC keeps surprising me, I say 'okay this year AC should take a break', but we still get one.

Pokemon is right up there, bro. Prolly will pull the most numbers this fall when you look at NA, EU, and JP. Nothing. Nothing kills a pokemon release.

GTA5 and CoD will both sell over 15 million units. Pokemon may win in the end but pokemon does not have explosive openings. It has very long legs

Also i forgot AC4 was at the same time. What a stupid decision ubi.

Didn't AC3 sell like 13 million? I could see Watch Dogs doing 6 million. It's a new IP, but new IP have done pretty good in launch years in the past.

Edit: Then again, this holiday will be pretty crowded.

Burt

Anyone have the numbers on what the current gen systems' install base was through say, the first 3-6 months after release? Having a better idea of what the Xbone and PS4 will be at within the timeframe of their first couple quarters would make gauging this a lot easier.

I do think that they'll be able to hit it regardless, though. Should definitely sell 4+ million on 360 and PS3 alone in the first couple months, given all the marketing and the sales of AAA titles with similar aims.

Dabanton

Still not feeling this game a lot of hype has been sucked away from it for me by it's lackluster showings this year.

That and it's going up against some colossuses this year. I wish them good luck.

The most of those sales should come reasonably from PS360 versions, but in this regard timing may affect it badly, as there are other big titles releasing on the same platforms in Q3/Q4 and incidentally a few of them may overlap with it - GTA5, Saint Row 4, next Assassin creed, let alone the game has still to prove itself to be up to all the hype, tough competition ahead of this new IP.

Where's Jim at? I demand a Jimquistion on this immediately. There have been several so far and yet the problem persists like some virulent plague.

Still not feeling this game a lot of hype has been sucked away from it for me by it's lackluster showings this year.

That and it's going up against some colossuses this year. I wish them good luck.

Yeah, I mentioned in another thread that I was hyped for the game originally due to the Chicago setting, but as time has gone on the game has looked less and less appealing to me, especially with Ubisoft at the helm. I don't think I'm going to play it any time soon, especially with the PS4 having no real worthwhile software until next year at the earliest.

It'll probably do well for itself, but it's going to be tough to sell an open world game set in a big city releasing a month after GTA5.

N2NOther

Banned
I hope it's good and I hope it does well. But, man, 6.2 million for a new IP seems like a crazy goal. The type of crazy goal that they will blame us, used games, piracy, etc when they don't hit it.

But they have all the buzz in the world right now, to the point of overkill, so best of luck to them. I don't like the Assassin's Creed games (which I hereby vote to rename "Run to the diamond on your HUD!") very much because of the extreme amount of handholding. I sometimes get the vibe that this is going to play like AC in a modern city. I hope that isn't the case.

They sold that many copies of AC 1.

wrowa

It fits the zeitgeist and should be really marketable, so I can easily imagine that they'll meet that goal.

The NSA leaks are kind of a blessing for that game, actually. Makes the topic more relevant than it already was before.

Xellos

It will be interesting to see whether differences between the current-gen version and next-gen version of Watch_Dogs will affect sales. If the current-gen version is a massive downgrade compared to next-gen, will people still buy it or will they wait until they upgrade to PS4/XB1? I can't imagine this hitting 6 million unless it's a big hit on PS3/360 as well as PS4/XB1.

idlewild_

GTA5 and CoD will both sell over 15 million units. Pokemon may win in the end but pokemon does not have explosive openings. It has very long legs

Unlikely to beat either tbh, GTA4 sold ~25 mil copies and blops2 was on track to be the best selling entry in the series. GTA5 is releasing to a much larger install base and the new CoD would have to see a huge drop in order for pokemon to beat it based on the sales of the last few entries.

That said, doubt either of those games would have much of an impact on how pokemon sells anyways, it will sell 15mil+ over time regardless of what comes out around it.

rdrr gnr

No?

It shouldn't be too far off from, say...

PC: 1+ million
360: 1.5-2 million at least
PS3: 1.5-2 million at least
Wii U: 100k-200k? (lol)
PS4: Around 1 million maybe
Xbox One: Around 1 million maybe

Definitely doable.
If we are talking lifetime... maybe. If not, I'd skew the first three higher and the final two much lower.

The same for me. Also the game got a huge graphical downgrade compared to the very first "gameplay" video.

Ty4on

If it doesn't suck that's very doable. If it is really good I would be surprised if it didn't hit 10 million.

Well ACIII sold like 10m+ on the PS3 and 360 combined and Watch_Dog is much more advertised than that.

6.2m is a cake walk across multiple platforms for a game this big.

njr

I can see that. How long it will take however is probably the more important question to determine whether or not they would shitcan or CODify it.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Only worrying part for me is they have Ass Creed IV launching within the same time frame

Is it good for a publisher to release 2 quality games and they eat into each other sales

Are the release dates even spread apart?
Just checked 3 weeks apart

At least both will be launching before Black Friday, so they might get the 30-40% price cut by retailers and get mega sales off that

Toppot

Throw lots of good marketing at it and I think over 6 million is doable. I'll probably pick it up at some point, depending if/when I get a PS4.

kswiston

This could happen. Ubi managed to ship more than 6M copies of Farcry 3, and I am sure the marketing push for Watchdogs will be at least as large.

Only worrying part for me is they have Ass Creed IV launching within the same time frame

Is it good for a publisher to release 2 quality games and they eat into each other sales

Are the release dates even spread apart?
Just checked 3 weeks apart

At least both will be launching before Black Friday, so they might get the 30-40% price cut by retailers and get mega sales off that

Farcry 3 and AssCreed 3 were about a month apart.

RoKKeR

No problem whatsoever.

ACIII sold 12 million units in 3 months, for Christ's sake. WatchDogs will do the same, if not better.

Don't get ahead of yourself. Avatar quote.

Watch Dogs isn't an established, big name franchise like AC. Yes it's got a lot of hype and will sell quite well, but 12 million in 3 months is simply not realistic.

SJRB

Gold Member
Don't get ahead of yourself. Avatar quote.

Watch Dogs isn't an established, big name franchise like AC. Yes it's got a lot of hype and will sell quite well, but 12 million in 3 months is simply not realistic.

Yeah I already editted it, friend.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
This could happen. Ubi managed to ship more than 6M copies of Farcry 3, and I am sure the marketing push for Watchdogs will be at least as large.

Farcry 3 and AssCreed 3 were about a month apart.

Ass Creed III was before Black Friday and reaped the rewards of Price Cut and got that many sales

Far Cry 3 was in December, so it didn't have that luxury

I saw FC3 get price cut way faster than ACIII (not counting the BF sale, cause it was only a 1 day thing)

Top Bottom