• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft expects Watch Dogs to sell more than 6.2 million units

kswiston

GTA5 and CoD will both sell over 15 million units. Pokemon may win in the end but pokemon does not have explosive openings. It has very long legs

Also i forgot AC4 was at the same time. What a stupid decision ubi.

Pokemon hasn't hit the 20M barrier since Silver and Gold on Gameboy Color. Every game in the Call of Duty series has hit that mark since Modern Warfare 2. As others have said, GTA IV had long legs and ended up well over 20M as well. Pokemon is not beating either of those games this fall.

Grinchy

Banned
I was so hyped for this game until the latest GTA5 trailer. Now this just feels like something I'll buy on sale way down the road.

~~Hasan~~

i think the number is too high even if its on all the systems. they are lucky if the game sells 200k on ps4 and xbox one on its first month since I doubt we are getting more than 1 million system in each region.

how much are they expecting to sell on ps3 and 360 ?

2 millions each on its first 3 months " where it counts " ?

RaptorGTA

GTA5 and CoD will kill everything this fall

GTA for sure...COD? isnt it lacking in preorders right now? Not saying they wont pick up cause they will...but there so many titles coming out i wouldn't be surprise to see COD to great..but not near what its done in the past.

As for the topic..I think GTA5 is going to take a lot of thunder away from Watch Dogs.

Ubi is learning with Squeenix how to project sales.

But I guess they can make it, tbh. But, still...

This isn't a difficult target. They're on 6 systems. I would consider this a disappointment if it didn't hit that target from what I've seen so far and I have no vested interested in this game.

Uh what's the time frame? Also, Anyone have the last Assassins Creed's numbers? Does that even sell 6 million early on? And the next Assassins Creed will surely beat out Watch Dogs in numbers. I think its pretty high expectations. Dont see it happening.

kswiston

Uh what's the time frame? Also, Anyone have the last Assassins Creed's numbers? Does that even sell 6 million early on? And the next Assassins Creed will surely beat out Watch Dogs in numbers. I think its pretty high expectations. Dont see it happening.

Assassin's Creed 3 had shipped (which is Ubisoft's sold) 7M copies in 6 weeks. After ~3 months it was at 12M copies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I cancelled my pre-order because I don't have faith in Ubisoft to deliver a quality open world experience if they plan this to be a franchise. I bet Watch Dogs will just be a mindless mission grind with an open world that nobody cares about.

Same here. Nothing of the shown footage even remotely did anything for me other than "look at these graphics".

Asriel

Assassin's Creed III sold 7 million units in one month. 12 million as of February.

6 million is perfectly reasonable for Watch Dogs.

Kadayi

Banned
Short of Ubi somehow shitting the bed in spectacular fashion I'd say their numbers are doable across all platforms. There's a tonne of hype for the game and a lot of positive world of mouth. I'm definitely a day 1 purchase for sure. Given no GTA V for PC, I expect it to be the go to surrogate for many PC gamers.

Certinty

Can definitely see them achieving this. Only way I reckon it won't happen is if turns out to be a complete failure which isn't even mediocre.

If that's the quota you've got to meet then maaan, you're playing a dangerous game. Still, I could see Watch Dogs accomplishing such a goal.

DieH@rd

Banned
They did not specify timeframe. If they are thinking about lifetime sales, they will reach that easy.

A lot of people will also buy new Radeon 9xxx cards that will come with "free" copy of that game [AMD will pay for it].

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Pokemon hasn't hit the 20M barrier since Silver and Gold on Gameboy Color. Every game in the Call of Duty series has hit that mark since Modern Warfare 2. As others have said, GTA IV had long legs and ended up well over 20M as well. Pokemon is not beating either of those games this fall.

Though the sales of the 3rd version of each Pokemon game have been only trending upwards. So this is likely just a case of consumers realizing they should wait for the 3rd version, rather than the franchise fatiguing.

But your point still stands, Pokemon ain't gonna beat Call of Duty or GTA this year unless something crazy happens.

Fularu

Banned
Since it's one of the very few high profile third party game on WiiU, I can see Nintendo pushing this one hard.

With that said, across 6 plateforms this should be doable.

~~Hasan~~

Assassin's Creed III sold 7 million units in one month. 12 million as of February.

6 million is perfectly reasonable for Watch Dogs.

that piece of shit sold 7 millions ?

man fuck. I was bored and fed up from it as soon as I dropped from the sea :/

Easy goal

It's on Wii U, 360, PS3, PS4, XONE, and PC. Meanwhile GTA5 is on 2 systems but will triple WDs sales (I can't wait to play both personally)

Skyzard

Banned
Wow, I guess we should be expecting quite a few Watch Dog tv ads. Not sure how they will go down :p

J65Fmde.jpg

Across all systems ? i think it's possible.

I hope that's not another case a la Tomb Raider where if the game doesn't sell at least 9 millions copies it's a fail.

dcx4610

Assassin's Creed doesn't have the same following these days but it's still going to hurt Watch Dogs and I'm proof of it.

I still like AC and having both games launch at the same time is a mistake. You could have called Watch Dogs "Assassin's Creed 4" and I'd barely bat an eye. The animation, gameplay, map, etc is nearly identical and I assume they are using the same game engine.

I want to play Watch Dogs but I'll be putting it off for AC4. They should have held off 6 months longer on AC4.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
If it's a PC at launch title, I'll just end up getting the PC.

If it's a few months, I'm not sure I can wait that long, which will mean 2 copies at some point...

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3329313

Interview from yesterday with one of the devs. Repeating more on the multiplayer that's integrated with the single player. Little more on the App (iOS and Android, will be free, and will work with PC users, not just console users).

Lulubop

Assassin's Creed doesn't have the same following these days but it's still going to hurt Watch Dogs and I'm proof of it.

I still like AC and having both games launch at the same time is a mistake. You could have called Watch Dogs "Assassin's Creed 4" and I'd barely bat an eye. The animation, gameplay, map, etc is nearly identical and I assume they are using the same game engine.

I want to play Watch Dogs but I'll be putting it off for AC4. They should have held off 6 months longer on AC4.

What? I'm pretty sure the last AC game was the best selling one in the franchise.

Corto

Not a crazy projection considering the buzz it's getting and how Ubi seems to bet that it will be the next gen IP they'll capitalize.

I cancelled my pre-order because I don't have faith in Ubisoft to deliver a quality open world experience if they plan this to be a franchise. I bet Watch Dogs will just be a mindless mission grind with an open world that nobody cares about.

Same. Was really excited when the game was first announced, but then AC3 and Liberation came out and reminded me just what Ubisoft is.

Top Bottom