• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch Dogs is leading on next-gen/PC, then being ported to current-gen

x-Lundz-x

I didn't even have a thought of buying this on current gen system anyway but hopefully they can do a decent port for our brethren that can't join net gen right away.

charsace

A lot of people eating crow right now.

"The game can run on current gen." lol

I expect MGS: Ground Zeroes to be the next cross gen game to have butchered versions announced.

Has there ever been a Ubi Montreal game that has been been ported by another team that turned out even close to the original? Does the performance of AC3 and FC3 give you any confidence that Ubi will sacrifice the game's vision to get this running at 30fps on current consoles?

Throw your consoles on the heap, they're finished.

prag16

Banned
A lot of people eating crow right now.

"The game can run on current gen." lol

I expect MGS: Ground Zeroes to be the next cross gen game to have butchered versions announced.

A little dramatic, no?

Don't we have to actually see how the game turns out before people eat any crow?

Could this be a trend next gen for multiplats, start on the pc and build PS4, Xbox and Wii U from it.

Makes sense as the PC version in most games are the most scalable.

Goodbye to PS360 > Wii U

Bgamer90

Banned
Not surprised.

After I saw the footage of Watch_Dogs during E3 2012 I said, "WOW!", and then said, "Yeah... I don't think this is possible on the 360/PS3."

USC-fan

Banned
What they said this week is they have a team porting to each console. Pretty clear gen4 consoles and high end PC were what the game was design on but I still feel being cross Gen is going to hold it back.

Can't read the source so this really isn't new info if that is all we have is that quote.

whitehawk

Banned
I told people this was a next-gen game being down ported, but everyone told me it was a current gen game up ported. Who's the big kalloosh now?

StuBurns

Banned
Not surprised.

After I saw the footage of Watch_Dogs during E3 2012 I said, "WOW!", and then said, "Yeah... I don't think this is possible on the 360/PS3."
Did you not also think that when you saw Battlefield 3? PC games are always massively more impressive than console games.

I would be very surprised if this doesn't come to PS360, people are talking as if this news means those versions are canceled, it doesn't.

ZaCH3000

Could this be a trend next gen for multiplats, start on the pc and build PS4, Xbox and Wii U from it.

Makes sense as the PC version in most games are the most scalable.

Goodbye to PS360 > Wii U

It is possible but more unlikely than possible. Porting from PC initially makes sense for cross developing games. In two years cross development between this gen and next-gen will not happen. This is a risk mitigation and nothing more. That is my belief.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As much as I think the current gen versions of Watch Dogs will be horrible, the quote in the OP and the "quote" in the title are not the same thing, so I changed it to reflect what the OP quote says.

Bgamer90

Banned
Did you not also think that when you saw Battlefield 3? PC games are always massively more impressive than console games.

I would be very surprised if this doesn't come to PS360, people are talking as if this news means those versions are canceled, it doesn't.

Yes, I know that PC games look better than console games.

And no, I'm not acting as if the game isn't coming to PS3/360. It's just that I knew from the beginning that the E3 2012 footage looked too good for the game to be even close to similar on the 360/PS3. Too in depth, too many things going on in the environment, too smooth, etc.

Perfect. I don't want no bottlenecks. Make it for next-gen and if current-gen can't run it then you don't release it for it. Down-port, not up-port.

iJEijkC.gif

StuBurns

Banned
Yes, I know that PC games look better than console games.

And no, I'm not acting as if the game isn't coming to PS3/360. It's just that I knew from the beginning that the game looked too good for it to be even close to similar on the 360/PS3. Too in depth, too many things going on in the environment, too smooth, etc.
I think without doubt it'll take a hit when it comes to the current systems (and yes, even the WiiU), but the there is nothing that fundamentally impressive about the game I don't think. In fact, at the recent conference, it looked far worse than at E3 (which at the time I thought was just because it's the PS4 version, but it was still PC).

As for the title change, if anything, it's 'leading' on PC, because it's been in development on PC for four years, and they've not had next-gen dev kits even close to that long.

crysis 3 is running on current gen consoles, i don't see a huge downgrade in the graphics department if the port is done right. and personally i'm not thoroughly impressed by the next-gen-ness of watch dogs, there are console games already out that look almost as good.

lol@ the amount of people in denial and bashing the wiiu version without know anything at all.

Well, it is presumptuous at this point to assume that it's a lock that the Wii U version is going to be exactly the same or worse as the 360 version. But I don't think it's exactly a smart bet to infer from what's out there that the Wii U version is going to be closer to the PS4/PC version than it's going to be to the PS3/360 version. Personally, I'm expecting a scenario much closer to the latter than the former, but time will tell. As is, we've only seen the game running on PC hardware.

crysis 3 is running on current gen consoles, i don't see a huge downgrade in the graphics department if the port is done right. and personally i'm not thoroughly impressed by the next-gen-ness of watch dogs, there are console games already out that look almost as good.

The downgrade of Crysis 3 in current consoles compared to Crysis 3 PC is big. Fucking big. If that's what's gonna happen to the current-gen version of WD I can't see anyone getting the Wii U, PS3 or Xbox360 version....unless they don't have a choice.

"The team is developing it on high end pc's and next gen, after that other teams are looking how they can make it fit for the older generation. So the first approach is to see how they can take full advantage of the next gen consoles."

I am absolutely ok with this.

I wish the BF4 team will follow the same philosophy.

TedNindo

Are you implying that Crysis 3 on PC isnt much of an upgrade over current consoles?

Has there ever been a Ubi Montreal game that has been been ported by another team that turned out even close to the original? Does the performance of AC3 and FC3 give you any confidence that Ubi will sacrifice the game's vision to get this running at 30fps on current consoles?

Throw your consoles on the heap, they're finished.
AC3's outsourced ports (Bucharest on PC, Quebec on Wii U) turned out pretty well. Far Cry 3's ports weren't outsourced iirc, Montreal was in charge of all 3 versions.

The downgrade of Crysis 3 in current consoles compared to Crysis 3 PC is big. Fucking big. If that's what's gonna happen to the current-gen version of WD I can't see anyone getting the Wii U, PS3 or Xbox360 version....unless they don't have a choice.
on the monitor yes, the difference is huge. on my tv, no, unless im sitting 2 feet away from the tv.

iNvid02

about god damn time this ancient hardware stopped dragging everything else down with it

doesnt look like the PC port is being given to one of their lower tier teams either so thats great news

Effect

The refusal some have at accepting that the Wii U isn't a system on par with the 360 and PS3 but instead is simply better and more capable is amazing and down right sad. Let it go and move on.

StuBurns

Banned
I actually have a story question about the game, it's a little off-topic, but I think it's acceptable as an aside.

If everyone plays the same main character, when other people are in your game, coming to get you, I take it they're playing other characters, and you can't accidentally bump into lots of the same looking guy, right?
The refusal some have at accepting that the Wii U isn't a system on par with the 360 and PS3 but instead is simply better and more capable is amazing. Let it go and move on.
Seeing is believing.

on the monitor yes, the difference is huge. on my tv, no, unless im sitting 2 feet away from the tv.

Really? The obvious upgrade on IQ, resolution, textures, lightning, etc... should be clear unless you sit 20ft away and you're using a 15' screen.

I'm glad that for you is not that big, but it should be on most circumstances.

I actually have a story question about the game, it's a little off-topic, but I think it's acceptable as an aside.

If everyone plays the same main character, when other people are in your game, coming to get you, I take it they're playing other characters, and you can't accidentally bump into lots of the same looking guy, right?

My guess is this:

1) There's a character editor in the game, the guy we see it just the standard model (akin to ME Shepard)

2) Only one player plays the MC, other players are or supporters or trying to catch him stop him, kinda like Dark Souls invasions....

Good, no need to constrain the game to accommodate current consoles. Design for next gen/PC to give the best gameplay & graphics... then figure out how to make it work on inferior hardware.

Cake Boss

Banned
So the more important question here is Rainbow Six a next gen title as well? Vegas happened to be one of my favorite titles in the early gen last time.

kinggroin

Banned
Pop in, longer loading, slightly lower quality textures, less AI density, lower AI animation framerate in the distance, lower framerate overall, lower precision shadows and maybe sub HD.

That's you're WU version

StuBurns

Banned
Criterion and Frozenbyte have something to show U.
Trine 2 is a tiny bit better, as is the case with virtually all 360 games over PS3, it doesn't stop them being 'on par', especially when the system is below it's peers with other multiplatform titles. Criterion however, I've not seen Most Wanted on U, I shall wait and see.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
I dont mind this, since ill be getting it for PC anyway. 360 and PS3 have been holding games back far too long now anyway.

Criterion and Frozenbyte have something to show U.
What they're showing is exactly what should be expected in the first place. Better textures because of a larger pool of RAM. Identical levels of model complexity, very similar lighting solutions, give or take on other effects.

The only thing that should realistically set apart WiiU with PS3/360 visuals is better texturing. Barring some of those fixed function shaders being dedicated just to lighting solutions or something.

I think without doubt it'll take a hit when it comes to the current systems (and yes, even the WiiU), but the there is nothing that fundamentally impressive about the game I don't think. In fact, at the recent conference, it looked far worse than at E3 (which at the time I thought was just because it's the PS4 version, but it was still PC).

Really? Maybe the rain/nighttime effects had a larger impression on you or something. Looked exactly the same to me.

Really? The obvious upgrade on IQ, resolution, textures, lightning, etc... should be clear unless you sit 20ft away and you're using a 15' screen.

I'm glad that for you is not that big, but it should be on most circumstances.
it really is like comparing a 1080p vs 720p tv. take blueray movies for example, on a 65 incher, sitting 15 feet away, it's hard to tell the difference unless you really pay attention. the advantage of 1080p really pays off when the screen size is > 80 inch imo, and this is through personally experience playing with my projector.
playing pc crysis 3 on my tv did look better than the 360 version, but the gap isn't so wide that i'd ditch the 360 immediately.
for next gen, i actually wouldn't mind if they keep the resolution @ 720p, and use the computing power elsewhere to create a better experience.
if you're playing on a monitor though, the difference is night and day.

Meelow

Banned
Happy about this actually, considering the Wii U version of Watch Dogs is already running it gives me a better feeling about the Wii U version.

pvpness

It feels like a lot of people are salty in here..... it is an odd situation tho, really weird imo..

There is a lot of salt. It's seemingly outweighed by the positives of the development being on higher end first though, so we're not completely off the rails. I'm actually impressed by the restraint some people are showing.

Top Bottom