• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch Dogs is leading on next-gen/PC, then being ported to current-gen

Some of those will be possible with 720 and PS4 and I doubt they will be still used. I still fail to see the potential of GamePad in games that aren't made ground up to support it. Always on mini-map and stuff like that are neat but hardly ground-breaking.

ALL of those will be possible on PS4/720. PS App and Smartglass for iOS/android ensures that. It'll probably be optional for PS4/720 owners that want to play with those things like some games are with kinect/move.

ALL of those will be possible on PS4/720. PS App and Smartglass for iOS/android ensures that. It'll probably be optional for PS4/720 owners that want to play with those things like some games are with kinect/move.

It does not sound that enticing having to hold the controller and also your tablet, but I guess it is a nice gimmickier gimmick for PS4 and Xbox, right?

Knoxcore

I will love to see this game get a 6-month nex-gen consoles/PC exclusivity. There needs to be some third party games that at least attempts to drive consumers to the new consoles.

Because holding a tablet AND a controller at the same time makes sense...it would be terrible

Margalis

Banned
Isn't Smartglass basically dead already?

It has meaningful support in what, one game?

This "companion app" stuff is always going to be lame for a variety of reasons. They don't have the same streaming tech the Wii U has, they work on a widely divergent set of devices with different resolutions and processing power, they are always optional as not every person is going to have a compatible device. The reason this sort of stuff exists is so companies can claim feature parity.

Because holding a tablet AND a controller at the same time makes sense...it would be terrible

Is it that difficult to have a tablet at your side while playing? We obviously don't know a ton about the game right now, but I could see it being useful for certain in-game actions. It wouldn't be that much more of a distraction than tapping the Gamepad.

Sendou

Is it that difficult to have a tablet at your side while playing? We obviously don't know a ton about the game right now, but I could see it being useful for certain in-game actions. It wouldn't be that much more of a distraction than tapping the Gamepad.

That sounds like a very awkward function to code in for the small portion of players that have access to SmartGlass/the Sony support app. Whatever you say about Wii U atleast everyone who owns the console also owns the GamePad.

woober

I wonder if this is how future multiplat games will be developed. I likey.

http://www.destructoid.com/pc-is-the-lead-platform-for-watch-dogs-247165.phtml

"Previously, we developed games first on the Xbox 360 and then translated onto the PS3. It took a lot of time and money to make that port. Now we develop from the PC and versions are translated into a console like the PlayStation 4," he said.

With the newer hardware design of the PlayStation 4, it's going to be easier to make games on the PC and then port them to the consoles.

bud23

Some interesting tweets from Jonathan Morin, Watch Dogs creative director.

sPR34qq.png

https://twitter.com/Design_Cave

sunnz

i just REALLY REALLY REALLY hope they improve the driving physics.

From what we saw in the E3 gameplay, the driving physics look like pure crap. It looks out of place too ( so arcadey, like SR, stupid decision)

Something on the level of GTA IV or Mafia 2 would be a hell of a lot better. This could break the game for me.

Heck even far cry 3 has pretty good physics.

Some interesting tweets from Jonathan Morin, Watch Dogs creative director.

sPR34qq.png

https://twitter.com/Design_Cave

translation from pr bullshit:

-there are side missions
-but they arent fleshed out with individual stories that span a good chunk of time
-they are "dynamic events" like someone getting mugged or someone talking about [an item] they left somewhere
-random people will get mugged 10000 times as you walk around the game, and someone off screen will suddenly complain about not being able to find an item 100000 times
-its up to you whether or not you want to decide to keep wasting your time with these throwaway dynamic events for little reward after youve already done them ten times or more. theyre all the same fucking thing except you can choose to use a bunch of alleys to get there or take your car
-after you've seen the three or five or so different encounter variants of our RADIANT AI youve seen them all
-tl;dr remember all the great DYNAMIC side missions from AC:R? remember Skyrim's MISC quest tab of quests that have zero story and just make you do repetitive meaningless shit? its back

i just REALLY REALLY REALLY hope they improve the driving physics.

From what we saw in the E3 gameplay, the driving physics look like pure crap. It looks out of place too ( so arcadey, like SR, stupid decision)

Something on the level of GTA IV or Mafia 2 would be a hell of a lot better. This could break the game for me.

Heck even far cry 3 has pretty good physics.
Ubisoft please do not listen to this man, he's crazy.

Ushae

Banned
I feel bad for late adopters of next gen consoles. I'm guessing a lot of games will be released in this manner where next gen takes priority and down porting taking place after. It makes perfect sense in my opinion.

Cant wait for this game. Looks stunning, potentially better than GTA? We'll see :)

This is reminding me of devs forcing motion controls into games where it wasn't needed. It's like YES, it is feasible, but it's awkward and the benefits are miniscule.

But what if you need the tablet to act as a scanner (ala ZombiU)? How would you allow the player to move the tablet around in front of them AND be able to move the character at the same time? It just couldn't be done

"We do have missions".

Wow, that's a load off my back. Actual missions!

translation from pr bullshit:

-there are side missions
-but they arent fleshed out with individual stories that span a good chunk of time
-they are "dynamic events" like someone getting mugged or someone talking about [an item] they left somewhere
-random people will get mugged 10000 times as you walk around the game, and someone off screen will suddenly complain about not being able to find an item 100000 times
-its up to you whether or not you want to decide to keep wasting your time with these throwaway dynamic events for little reward after youve already done them ten times or more. theyre all the same fucking thing except you can choose to use a bunch of alleys to get there or take your car
-after you've seen the three or five or so different encounter variants of our RADIANT AI youve seen them all
-tl;dr remember all the great DYNAMIC side missions from AC:R? remember Skyrim's MISC quest tab of quests that have zero story and just make you do repetitive meaningless shit? its back

I don't know if I quite understand the cynicism here. It's quite possible that UbiSoft will fail miserably at delivering any sort of meaningful, emergent gameplay, but that's a goal that many designers are striving towards as of late. We may not be there yet, but the goal is not just PR bullshit.

I don't know if I quite understand the cynicism here. It's quite possible that UbiSoft will fail miserably at delivering any sort of meaningful, emergent gameplay, but that's a goal that many designers are striving towards as of late. We may not be there yet, but the goal is not just PR bullshit.

I'm not being cynical, this is my most anticipated game this year, I just find it funny that the dev actually felt the need to say "Oh, we have missions." That shouldn't even be a question.

Top Bottom