• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch Dogs is leading on next-gen/PC, then being ported to current-gen

Yawnier

Banned
Seems like to me that the Current Gen versions of this game are going to look and run not all that great if this is what Ubisoft is going to do.

LOL @ that Nintendo fanboy though, I got to say props to Shagg for finding those posts, pure gold.

Amir0x

Banned
What does any of this have to do with the topic other than provide you with an opportunity to vaguely insult nameless people? I liked Wii COD controls even though I have access to the PC versions of every game and lots of people on PS360 are fine with half the player count and gimped graphics compared to PC in games like Battlefield 3. Why would you assume it's all to check a box rather than the simple fact they have fun or they don't? Sheesh, you need to grow up, seriously. Graphically all consoles will be outdated within a couple years tops anyway. WiiU already is. First parties of course love the fact people play games for more than the tech, which is why so many people on GAF have all time favorites that are many years old and often prefer them over far more technologically advanced sequels or other games in the genre.

Disclaimer: this does not mean I agree with anything the particular named fan said in this case, nor do I imply Watchdogs will be awesome on WiiU, when I don't know if it will be awesome on PC to begin with.

why is the fact that I think people have weird notions of fun insulting to you? Who gives a shit what I think about what you feel is fun? Brush it off your shoulder, I just find it weird.

Thank god. I've been worried this was just a current-gen game they decided to bump up to next-gen, but knowing its' been developed with that in mind from the start... so excited.

First of all this game looks awesome.

BUT, why do we still have lens flare in games? I still don't understand this.

And I'm not following how Wii U pad integration will really matter in this game, unless I'm missing something from the demo, everything plays out on the main screen perfectly. It would be nice I'm sure but nothing essential.

And I'm still confused how that scene plays out. Is he already wanted? Why would he run away from a crime scene holding a gun in his hand?

prag16

Banned
Gimmicks are something that doesn't improve the experience at all. You're going to seriously sit there and say three basic things in all video games are gimmicks? Just because someone insulted your precious tablet? That's your call I suppose.

"Gimmick" doesn't mean what you think it means.

pvpness

What's opinion, that it's not going to match up to the next gen versions? You can't possibly be serious.

This is the first time I've seen stuff like physics called gimmicks. Those things I listed are pretty important in making an open world game feel believable and immersive. It's why everyone was blown away by the demos that they showed, not because the guy pulled out his phone and hacked a camera.

That's not surprising to me actually. I use the word gimmick to denote something attractive. Meaning the pad features could attract Mtalador, while the physics/AI/Visuals attract you. Unless the physics (or AI) were so significantly different that it was two entirely different experiences, I think the definition stands. I really don't see the PS4/720 offering a physics engine that's radically different from what will be on offer in the Wii U version. Just as I don't think the PC offering will be that much different either.

If Ubisoft can make Watch Dogs run comparatively on a system with 2Gb DDR3 (12.8Gb/s bandwidth), a tri-core CPU (that is in some ways both inferior/superior to the 360's CPU), and an HD 4000 series equivalent GPU to a system with 8Gb GDDR5 (176Gb/s), an 8-core CPU, and a GPU roughly equivalent to high end HD 7000 series card, I'll eat my own ass.

You forgot the 32MB EDram as well.

Hatten

TBH I don't see it: all the footage they have shown looks very current gen to me, even GTAV has a bit "enhanced" flavor to it, and you can easily tell the difference between GTAIV for console and the full-blown PC version.

But that difference is not nearly enough to be nextgen, that jump was from San Andreas to IV.

prag16

Banned
It'll be interesting to see what the minimum PC specs are for the game (and how it'll run).

As has been said it'll probably be "ultra" (PC), "high" (PS4/Durango), and "medium" in some areas and "low" in other areas (Wii U).

I don't remember anybody claiming that PC games on low settings are "ZOMG fundamentally different and totally broken unplayable garbage" compared to running them on high. At least not anybody with any rational thinking ability or credibility. So why is that the case here? Current PC games usually have lower minimum specs than the Wii U's equivalence, and require more than PS4/Durango power to get the most out of them.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I find it funny that people don't realize the 720 and PS4 versions are also "downports" of the PC version.

There is a reason why PC gaming is called the master race by so many people

If there was no PS4/Durango launching Watch Dogs would be developed for 360/PS3, with PC getting a prettier port.

Now that next gen consoles are arriving the PC will benefit, because THOSE are the systems games will now be developed for.

TBH I don't see it: all the footage they have shown looks very current gen to me, even GTAV has a bit "enhanced" flavor to it, and you can easily tell the difference between GTAIV for console and the full-blown PC version.

But that difference is not nearly enough to be nextgen, that jump was from San Andreas to IV.

Come on son.

tumblr_mbpcvwIvwk1rpwqk9o1_500.gif

watch_dog-1ak74j.gif

Looking forward to it. I hope you enjoy it.

I'm somewhat scratching my head here, but help me understand something. Is your position that Watch_Dogs simply isn't doing anything that the Wii U can't do and thus isn't really pushing high-end, next-gen tech, or is your position that the Wii U is pretty competitive with the PS4 technologically?

I'm not saying it's not great, but I thought the first one was pure crap, just personally, I'm not saying it's not actually good.

As for the Wii U, we shall see. I never doubted it was beyond the other two, although so far it's shown anything but that, but the idea it's not 'on par' with them, remains to be seen.
Well, I can't speak to Trine 1 since I went Wii60 last gen and so never played it. Trine 2 is great though.

I think definining "on par" would probably help diffuse these sorts of disagreements. I think in the case of a rough "spec generation" Wii U can certainly be considered on par with PS3 and 360. Much in the same way Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox and Wii could be considered on par in that sense. But if you mean on par in regards to absolute upper limit capability, it's pretty clearly not the case going by what we know of the specs and even early ports which have recieved proper resourcing.

Derrick01

Banned
If there was no PS4/Durango launching Watch Dogs would be developed for 360/PS3, with PC getting a prettier port.

Now that next gen consoles are arriving the PC will benefit, because THOSE are the systems games will now be developed for.

It also requires a much beefier PC to get a large benefit over 720/ps4, if there even will be a large difference (outside of 60fps). I know high end PCs are stronger than some of PS4's parts but that's not taking optimization, or lack thereof, into consideration and the fact that it's Ubisoft....notorious for making pretty shitty and very unoptimized PC versions.

Steve Youngblood said:
I'm somewhat scratching my head here, but help me understand something. Is your position that Watch_Dogs simply isn't doing anything that the Wii U can't do and thus isn't really pushing high-end, next-gen tech, or is your position that the Wii U is pretty competitive with the PS4 technologically?

I'm hoping for the former. Because even though it's still factually wrong, it's not as insane as believing the Wii U can keep up with PS4.

How about voice recognition (of some sorts)? Wii U gamepad has a mic build in. Didn't he DS even had some games where you could say something and the game understood it?
What about receiving video-phone calls on the screen? That, plus the fact that the Wii U gamepad also has speakers, could add a lot to the immersion. Hearing somebody talk to you only through the gamepad and not the TV could be really cool.

What about the build in motion sensors? What could devs use them for?

How about the interaction with the touch screen? browsing some notes while you are somewhere in the game without having to display said notes on the TV screen?

I think there are a lot of possibilities, wouldn't you agree?

I agree with everything you posted BUT i just don't have confidence in 3rd parties to fully utilize the Wii U's power or game-pad.

Amir0x

Banned
Come on son.

Seriously any of the Watch Dog videos demonstrate a level of quality that no open world game this gen has even come close to; shit, they demonstrate effects that current gen couldn't even do while hitting a framerate higher than 5.

Seems like another gen we'll have to go 2 years into before people recall how last gen ACTUALLY looked :p

Wii U version is going to sport good graphics and fun gamepad features that will add to the experience.

prag16

Banned

Not to put words in his mouth, but MY position is the Watch_Dogs isn't doing anything so special that the Wii U version will be a fundamentally different or gimped experience, and it sounds like that's what he thinks as well.

MooseKing

Banned
It also requires a much beefier PC to get a large benefit over 720/ps4, if there even will be a large difference (outside of 60fps). I know high end PCs are stronger than some of PS4's parts but that's not taking optimization, or lack thereof, into consideration and the fact that it's Ubisoft....notorious for making pretty shitty and very unoptimized PC versions.

I'm hoping for the former. Because even though it's still factually wrong, it's not as insane as believing the Wii U can keep up with PS4.

Not some of the PS4's parts. They are 20 times stronger than ALL of the PS4's parts except their 8gb of GDDR5. Which they posses on the graphic cards already (and have for a while). 2gb of GDDR5 is enough to load max textures for crysis @ 1440p.

In other words. Next gen consoles are not next gen for PC users.

Branduil

Seriously any of the Watch Dog videos demonstrate a level of quality that no open world game this gen has even come close to; shit, they demonstrate effects that current gen couldn't even do while hitting a framerate higher than 5.

Seems like another gen we'll have to go 2 years into before people recall how last gen ACTUALLY looked :p

On the other hand, in two more years last-gen will have always sucked visually and anyone who doesn't recognize that must be blind. :p

Watch Dogs looks good, but it certainly seems plausible to me that it can run on the current consoles with simple graphical downgrades.

First of all this game looks awesome.

BUT, why do we still have lens flare in games? I still don't understand this.

And I'm not following how Wii U pad integration will really matter in this game, unless I'm missing something from the demo, everything plays out on the main screen perfectly. It would be nice I'm sure but nothing essential.

And I'm still confused how that scene plays out. Is he already wanted? Why would he run away from a crime scene holding a gun in his hand?

Did you miss the smartphone that is used to hack all the devices? How about putting that "smartphone interface" on the Gamepad? Or security camera feed on the gamepad with the normal view still on TV? Police radio scanner in the gamepad? GPS on the gamepad? Make new waypoints with the touch of your finger on the GPS. Make calls on the gamepad? watch TV news broadcast on the gamepad of what you last did, hijack a policecar and remote control it with the dashcam view on the pad?

Those are just quick ideas i came up woth right now...

When did I say that or even implied that?

Because of this exchange?

If Ubisoft can make Watch Dogs run comparatively on a system with 2Gb DDR3 (12.8Gb/s bandwidth), a tri-core CPU (that is in some ways both inferior/superior to the 360's CPU), and an HD 4000 series equivalent GPU to a system with 8Gb GDDR5 (176Gb/s), an 8-core CPU, and a GPU roughly equivalent to high end HD 7000 series card, I'll eat my own ass.

You forgot the 32MB EDram as well.

Alright, throw that in there as well. I'll still eat my own ass if they come close.

Looking forward to it. I hope you enjoy it.

Yawnier

Banned
Wii U version is going to sport good graphics and fun gamepad features that will add to the experience.

No way will the Wii U's graphics be anywhere close to what the Durango/PS4/PC will all pull off (Hello, look at the specifications). Also, putting faith into Ubisoft for actual gameplay features and mechanics with the gamepad that will actually enhance the experience rather than worsen it? Eh.

Just can't see it happening.

Because of this exchange?

Well then you should ask Newman and not me.

No way will the Wii U's graphics be anywhere close to what the Durango/PS4/PC will all pull off (Hello, look at the specifications). Also, putting faith into Ubisoft for actual gameplay features and mechanics with the gamepad that will actually enhance the experience rather than worsen it? Eh.

See what I mean? lol

Derrick01

Banned
Not some of the PS4's parts. They are 20 times stronger than ALL of the PS4's parts except their 8gb of GDDR5. Which they posses on the graphic cards already (and have for a while). 2gb of GDDR5 is enough to load max textures for crysis @ 1440p.

In other words. Next gen consoles are not next gen for PC users.

Finally you'll actually get next gen games though. I'm just saying don't expect a world of difference between Watch Dogs PC and PS4 unless you're running sli-680s or something equally ridiculous. I'm betting on a pretty messy PC port like most recent Ubi games and it'll probably require something like that to make it worth getting over PS4. Future games the gap will naturally become easier to notice as PC parts evolve and catch up to the devs lack of optimization.

prag16

Banned
When did I say that or even implied that?

Its everyone else on the Sony defense force going overboard.

The Sony "confirmation bias" force.

That's the only explanation for the claims that the gap in visuals between the best gen 7 games and what was shown last week is remarkably drastic and earth shattering.

Obviously it's better, and it's definitely noticeable. But nothing we haven't seen high end PC's doing for awhile now.

Finally you'll actually get next gen games though. I'm just saying don't expect a world of difference between Watch Dogs PC and PS4 unless you're running sli-680s or something equally ridiculous. I'm betting on a pretty messy PC port like most recent Ubi games and it'll probably require something like that to make it worth getting over PS4. Future games the gap will naturally become easier to notice as PC parts evolve and catch up to the devs lack of optimization.

Eh, I was able to run Assassin's Creed 3 on a GT 220 at 1366x768 with higher than PS360 settings at an acceptable framerate. Not all Ubi PC versions are shit.

There we go with the tiny gifs again... They don't show shit.

Plus that's a very unfair comparison you chose. Oh wow, Sleeping Dogs is next gen compared to GTAIV!

Tiny gifs where you compare middle-gen console game to a high-end yet to be released PC game.

Incomparable. PCs don't have generations, they're constantly iterated upon with new hardware every single year. We're talking console generations.

-MB-

I can somewhat, it'll basically be a 720p version with same/similar effects to the ps4/durango's 1080p version.

Amir0x

Banned
On the other hand, in two more years last-gen will have always sucked visually and anyone who doesn't recognize that must be blind. :p

Watch Dogs looks good, but it certainly seems plausible to me that it can run on the current consoles with simple graphical downgrades.

'simple' graphical downgrades, sure - lower geometry, different physics that impact gameplay (according to Ubisoft themselves, tentative skeptical eye on this claim), LOD, resolution, fidelity, pedestrians on screen, texture resolution/quality, framerate, bokeh, etc etc ad naseum

i guess at some point it depends on how much we want to stretch the word 'simple.'

Sendou

Incomparable. PCs don't have generations, they're constantly iterated upon with new hardware every single year. We're talking console generations.

Meaning that you just compared a console game from 4,5 years ago to a PC game running on a today's high-end hardware. Just doesn't seem fair to me.

Gimmicks are something that doesn't improve the experience at all. You're going to seriously sit there and say three basic things in all video games are gimmicks? Just because someone insulted your precious tablet? That's your call I suppose.

You've defined "video games" as only the games you enjoy having the features you care about. If physics, AI, and graphics are "basic things to all video games," then single-player games, point-and-click adventure games, puzzle games, music games, ASCII-art games, text-based games, and multiplayer-only games are not video games.

The problem is "gimmick" doesn't have a useful definition, because whenever someone uses it what they really mean is "something I don't see any value in." Every single feature that you call a gimmick provides fun to someone else and vice versa. There's no objective meaning to it, it's just a way to write off things you don't like.

Top Bottom