• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's new bullshot practice: pretending an old game looked worse than it did

Status
Not open for further replies.

New002

FFVII PS4
uloAiQf.jpg

FFVII PSone
uloAiQf.jpg

Wait, I think I screwed up...

So this is why people were upset >_>

I'm used to a certain amount of bullshit from publishers, but man... this is so not how you try to win back people that are already pissed off at you.

So glad I didn't give in to temptation and give them any money for Far Cry 4 or Unity.

They are the biggest joke in the industry right now.

Ubi are late to the game on this. I vaguely recall MS did it back in the day to show the 'huge difference' between Kameo on the OG and Kameo on the 360.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
One time I was waiting at a Jack in the Box Drive Through in Oakland and a guy who was clearly like 50 and on hard drugs came up to my window and showed me his community college ID where he was like 20 and healthy and he was like 'give me some money, I'm in college.'

Ubisoft is like that guy.

He could have still been in his 20s. Meth is a helluva drug.

SigSig

When the original art ends up looking better than the remastered art because the remastered art is actually just blurry, filtered up original art, marketing is gonna have a bad time doing comparison images.

When the original art ends up looking better than the remastered art because the remastered art is actually just blurry, filtered up original art, marketing is gonna have a bad time doing comparison images.

Maybe they shouldn't try too hard, then?

They don't have to throw "HD" in the title of every freaking re-release.

NewGame

Banned
I must of played 400 hours of HoMM3 and it did not look like that even on my cruddy old CRT.

Good job Ubisoft, wipe you butt on an actual good game because you can't make one yourself?

Fonds

The screenshot is from an old PS2 game called Amped. Before it's release, this screenshot was published as promotional material. Not only is it clearly a bullshot, but a lens flare was cleverly placed in the shot for god knows what reasons.

It's become a good example of when bullshots go wrong.

Eh... amped was never on the ps2. It was "Only on Xbox".

Nemmy

No one going to mention that the source image might have been made up by the polish gaming website it was posted on, and that the reddit thread has been deleted and even TB has corrected his tweet about it?

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/542800745645342720

Edit: Then again, it IS on Ubisoft Poland's facebook page so... carry on?

Reposting Ubi PL facebook link for reference.

Your edit is pretty much my thoughts on the matter. So I think TB might have waited with that apology...

Parsnip

lashman posted this on the Steam thread.

Its source is this.
https://www.facebook.com/MightandMa...209353.161184829587/10152917234254588/?type=1

Dear Heroes fans,
We have recently announced Heroes® of Might & Magic® III – HD Edition.

With this remake our main objective is to deliver you an enhanced game experience with HD graphics and high resolution. To achieve it, talented artists spent a huge amount of time on redesigning by hand more than 25 000 sprites and bitmaps in HD.

To get such a result we have followed a 3-step process. Firstly we have enlarged the original SD assets by 3. Then we reworked all of them in HD detailing blurry areas and refining both pixels and resolution while preserving their original design. Finally we polished the assets for a clean rendering in HD (http://youtu.be/qrRr0DMnBc4).
/// Below is an illustrated example of this process.

The comparative screenshot that we previously communicated on, compares an HD creature model from the adventure map with a low-res one enlarged by 3 to ease the comparison.

With this screenshot we want to illustrate the quality of this HD remake without betraying the legendary episode from 1999 we all love! We are sorry for the confusion this asset might have brought and we guarantee you that our desire is not to dispraise the original masterpiece but to pay it the tribute it deserves.

Sincerely,
The Might & Magic team.

ISee

Yeah, I was thinking 'is that Ultima Ascension?'. Great fucking game imho. Maybe because it was my first true 3d open world experience, but I loved it.

(ran like dogshit on my computer though, haha)

It ran like dogshit on every computer and was a bugy mess. Still I played the hell out of it. But that is to off topic I think.

---

Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze on WiiU

OryoN

I remember when I was really amazed by this screenshot and thought the Wii would really be capable of this.

Yeah, in hindsight, I kinda view that moment as a turning point for Ubisoft. But back then, if only we had known that Ubisoft was merely getting warmed up with their BS...

fedexpeon

Banned
What is the problem here? Ubisoft has a lot of talented people on their staff, and the company is just maximizing these people's talents.

The ability to lie and manipulate people are a God-given talent. Not many people can do it, and if you have these talents, you would be rolling in money just like Ubisoft.

This time, the OP was able to catch Ubisoft, but majority of the public? Ubisoft: Winning.

sobaka770

Banned
Ubisoft is clearly just trolling the game community at this point

Um, no they aren't, it's just that people don't follow the thread and post silly things after quickly glancing over the OP.

1. This picture is not from official HoMM3HD site but from obscure Polish arm (if confirmed?). I can't find it, personally.

2. What anyone can easily find though is the official Ubisoft remaster page with screeenshots of the HD version. Try to compare these screenshots with the OP to see the real difference. It's not fuzzy or sloppy, it's the real deal. I have pictures of how the original looks on my HD screen on the previous page, there's a lot of difference.

3. This was posted before which, judging from real screenshots seems to be true:
Okay no. Please stop this. I hate the shit ubisoft has been pulling to. But does that we mean we have to spread lies and misinformation? The ads are comparing the new and old overworld sprites not battle sprites.

The only PR happening here is negative PR on Ubisoft without any real proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom