• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so for someone who knows next to nothing about ND devs

This guy and the lady were directors of UC3, but they've left ND.
Then there's these other 2 guys who directed UC2 and TLoU and are still there.

Do I have that right?

So does that mean the 2 guys will be responsible for UC4? Is that likely?

Gammacide

Mmm, hopefully this all means that UC4 is done but for clean-up and other minor details. Hopefully all the major work is done so people are free to leave and move on to other things (even outside the company). I am optimistic for an E3 reveal and holiday release!! Believe!!!

Havel

Do I have that right?

Yeah, that's right.

Most likely Bruce and Neil are helming UC4.

Do I have that right?

Kind of. Hennig directed all three Uncharteds, co directed with Straley on UC2 and Richmond on UC3. Druckmann directed none. Straley and Druckmann co directed TLoU.

LastNac

Do I have that right?

That "lady" directed all three Uncharteds and Druckmann didn't direct any of them.

Kind of. Hennig directed all three Uncharteds, co directed with Straley on UC2 and Richmond on UC3. Druckmann directed none. Straley and Druckmann co directed TLoU.

That "lady" directed all three Uncharteds and Druckmann didn't direct any of them.

Ah, ok thanks

Yeah, that's right.

Most likely Bruce and Neil are helming UC4.

Oh, so does that mean they won't be able to create a new IP like TLoU? If so, that's really shitty.

nomis

UC2 was the only one that reached greatness. All UC3 had going for it was that it was "More UC2", and even then they managed to fuck up the controls beyond all recognition (I've still only played it through once, pre aiming patch). Coincidence?

DryvBy

I wonder how many people thinking "this is bad news for Sony!" and "poor Uncharted" will be buying the next Halo and Call of Duty.

To me, this is like John Romero leaving id Software. id didn't die off immediately. That wasn't until much later.

Edit: To be illustrate this point, "Dan Orzulak from Microsoft leaves to work for EA.". Now, did Halo die off after?

Persona7

Banned
I wonder why many people on the internet try to downplay the involvement Amy Hennig had with Uncharted.

For some reason they associate 1 and 3 with her even though she was a director and writer on all three.

Apparently 1 and 2 are "the bad ones" while U2 and TLOU are "the good ones"

LastNac

I wonder why many people on the internet try to downplay the involvement Amy Hennig had with Uncharted.

For some reason they associate 1 and 3 with her even though she was a director and writer on all three.

Probably as many people who try to up-play Druckmann's involvement with Uncharted.

vpance

Planning a new IP? Who knows. From what I am aware, Neil and Bruce are the only directors left at ND.

Neil takes one, Bruce takes the other I guess.

Maybe this is a clue of why Richmond left:

There is some really innovative stuff going on [at Riot] that I can't wait to be a part of."

U4 not so innovative? Too boring and by the numbers for Justin?

Havel

She was kept in line by the gods Bruce and Neil, obviously.
/s

LastNac

3/4 of the Uncharted games aren't as good as TLoU.
giphy.gif

Please.......

Its almost like you forgot how unenjoyable Summer was, hell that's over 50% of TLoU right there.

LastNac

942.gif

I'd rather play Summer than any 50% of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.
Nice Freeman gif.

But,

Nice cutscenes and a lack of variety in gameplay might do it for you, doesn't for me. Pacing is off too, Summer feels like it continues on with the same note for hours. Dont get me wrong, TLoU is my GoTY, but that is in no part thanks to Summer and instead owes everything to Fall, Winter Spring.

Damn it Druckmann, cut back with the cutscenes, man!!!

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Me thinks many people at ND are tired of Uncharted and want to try doing something different and management was all like "no" and the employees are like "bye".

nomis

Me thinks many people at ND are tired of Uncharted and want to try doing something different and management was all like "no" and the employees are like "bye".

Uncharted: Ascension

80 MetaCritic

Still a Ps4 graphical powerhouse, so for being GIF-fodder everyone will still splooge

Vire

Would be a shame if Uncharted 4 released this year considering The Last of Us PS4 Edition would win GOTY two years in a row.

Spinluck

Some of GAF likes to do this thing where they act like they know what they're taking about, when in fact.. They don't.

The first is still my favorite in every area but graphics, melee combat (UGH), and the pacing of enemy encounters.

I absolutely adore the locations, cast, and narrative. Made me a fan a huge fan of the series, and left a much stronger impression than it's sequels. And I prefer pre-swoll Drake.

I think UC2 edges it out as an overall package, but not by much. I'm sad Amy Hennig is no longer with the company. =(

UC2 was the only one that reached greatness. All UC3 had going for it was that it was "More UC2", and even then they managed to fuck up the controls beyond all recognition (I've still only played it through once, pre aiming patch). Coincidence?

I though all three were great. UC1 was great for a new IP, UC2 was the only game I've ever platinumed, UC3 was the third in the series and some cracks appeared yes, still a great game, still garnered critical acclaim. Not many other directors have 3 great games in a series to their credit. TLoU was a great game but a different beast. Kind of worried Druckmann is going to make Uncharted all emo.

I don't understand how anyone could say this happens all the time.

Can anyone show me one other time in any other major publisher where so many creative directors, the best of their studios, leave in the span of a month like they have at Sony cause I can't recall anything like this ever happening.

The only equivalent I could think of is what happened to Capcom.

Chinner

Banned
i do wonder why riot is sucking all this talent in. at the moment they're basically the league of legends company, they must have something else in development.

Tripon

i do wonder why riot is sucking all this talent in. at the moment they're basically the league of legends company, they must have something else in development.
Riot has multiple projects going on. Let's just say that recent rumors about a card game were... Not less than accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom