• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
Seriously sucks about your son. I hope everything works out.

As for libel/defaming, I'm actually surprised no one on GAF has been slapped with a suit yet, the Corrinne Yu stuff from a couple of weeks ago was especially brutal.

Loudninja

As for libel/defaming, I'm actually surprised no one on GAF has been slapped with a suit yet, the Corrinne Yu stuff from a couple of weeks ago was especially brutal.
Same with the Neil Druckmann stuff.

People right now needs to keep their hand off the trigger.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Damn, at Col's post. Good luck to you and your family.

Same with the Neil Druckmann stuff.

People right now needs to keep their hand off the trigger.

I agree. I've been guilty of it myself and his post taught me a serious lesson about speculating on these sorts of things.

And this is why talking about individuals and their alleged failings is where this insider stuff should end.

If this is wrong, how do we know the other stuff isn't wrong either? And this is just purely the egocentric enthusiast perspective.

That this is actually damaging to the people this is about is a whole separate issue and very uncomfortable.

Agreed with everything here. It's pretty effed up.

First it was cboat now y'all coming for mort ?

When "insiders" say stuff that can be proven false, they're banned, regardless of how long it is. He claimed a lot of stuff, some which has been proven false, so he has to live with the consequences.

From the whole story he told, as I said before, the Evo and SSM layoffs, to me, seem nothing more than the result of poor planning and troubled development, and something anyone can deduce. AAA development these days isn't merciful.

However, the persecution of some folks does reach some creepy levels. I certainly would never expose my true identity, if I had connections, the internet audience is way too fickle.

Palocca

Yeesh.

It's really unfortunate that these rumors got to the point where an individual had to disclose his private matters. Really brings the ugly out, front and center.

I'm really sorry to hear about your son Col, I sincerely hope he gets better and that your family grows stronger.

Enjay

Banned
Pretty much. It's like someone taking a job with the NFL and a bunch of volleyball fans saying "downgrade!"

It doesn't matter if you like the game (I don't play mobas) but Christ, how do you live in a bubble to the point that you've never heard of the most popular competitive game?

Riotgames is the NFL yuuuuuhh!!! The people you talkin about just dont realize that game-ing is serious bidness!!

I agree. I've been guilty of it myself and his post taught me a serious lesson about speculating on these sorts of things.

I think everyone has been guilty of doing some sort of speculating just the nature of things when it comes to something you like and you don't have any info.
When it gets out of hand is when the problems comes .

Also sorry to hear about son Col and hope the best for you and him in the future .

It's really unfortunate that these rumors got to the point where an individual had to disclose his private matters. Really brings the ugly out, front and center.

This.

Times like this are tough enough without having to broadcast your personal situation to protect your reputation.

Thanks for the support, all.

Sorry about your Son, Col. I was genuinely upset when Dodd wrote that post. I hope you and your family the best in what must be a very trying time.

I made a thread earlier today discussing the problem with insiders. Unfortunately it was locked, but I think it's about time we all have a serious conversation regarding the tmz inspired leaking culture that we all enable.

Yasir

Already ended.

Cboat died. Mort is pushing his luck. Insiders are being picked off and in this case, picking themselves off.

I officially hate the speculation on GAF about other's lives. The hyperboles and wild assumptions only seem to deface people.

God speed Col

Hello, all.

This is my first post on NeoGAF, and whilst I'm not generally one to deal in internet speculation, I have to put the record straight with regard to Pete Dodd's comments above.

Everything he has said with regard to myself and Driveclub is incorrect. It's also libellous.

As Putty (who is a personal friend of mine, and has been for about 25 years) suggests, I left Evo in February for personal reasons. The personal reasons being that my son, who is 4 years old, has been diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome, which is a potentially life threatening condition. I live 220 miles (4 hours drive) away from Evolution Studios, and was away from home 5.5 days a week. Given the circumstances, I could not continue to work there.

Driveclub is a great game, and the direction hasn't changed since my departure. This has been confirmed by SONY in various press releases over recent days.

I have no problem in dealing with very large projects, as I've been working in the games industry for the last 19 years, and have worked on some very prestigious titles, so there is genuinely no truth to anything posted by Mr Dodds at all. My departure (and indeed the setup of my 'indie' operation, BigRedSwitch) is 100% driven by family necessity, not some professional failing on my part.

I left SONY on very good terms. There is no animosity there, and I was absolutely nothing to do with the recent redundancies - in fact, the news of those redundancies was probably linked on here before I knew about them.

The games industry is a tough place at the moment. My circumstances with my son mean that I've had to leave secure work in order to try to make my own way in the world. This may entail getting another job. With people who obviously know nothing about the situation blackening my reputation for the sake of internet 'fame', this could be made much more difficult. It's nothing less than trolling.

I've contacted Mr. Dodd on his email address on his site. Due to the factual inaccuracy of his statements, I've informed him that he needs to remove the statements and apologise for the damage they have caused, as posting incorrect information and claiming it's true is quite simply libel.

I'm sure you can all appreciate just how difficult things are for myself and my family at the moment. I'd genuinely appreciate it if you can take my statements as word from the origin, and realise that there has been no big cover-up when it comes to my departure from SONY/Evo.

Thanks, all.

Col.

WOW. That sounds like a very tough situation and I hope the best for your son, your family and yourself.

As to that, it is unfortunate you had to come here personally under such circumstances to clear up the mud, so to speak.

I for one am looking forward to seeing the game we have all been craving so much this year and will keep an eye out on any future projects you put out there.

Palocca

The joke with Druckmann is that he is the last person in the industry you'd expect to do the things people 'accuse' him of. That's why it's so funny.

I think it's still distasteful, especially when taken out of context. I'm sure there are plenty of lurkers that aren't "in on the joke" that ends up asking something like, "Druckmann? TLoU guy? What did he do?"

Hagi

The time of GAF "insiders" is coming to an end

We need a better kind of Insider, one who doesn't spread fictitious rumors and won't stray to the side of tabloid journalism with libelous claims. Luckily I've been working on an Indiegogo campaign for this very reason.

Hello, all.

This is my first post on NeoGAF, and whilst I'm not generally one to deal in internet speculation, I have to put the record straight with regard to Pete Dodd's comments above.

Everything he has said with regard to myself and Driveclub is incorrect. It's also libellous.

As Putty (who is a personal friend of mine, and has been for about 25 years) suggests, I left Evo in February for personal reasons. The personal reasons being that my son, who is 4 years old, has been diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome, which is a potentially life threatening condition. I live 220 miles (4 hours drive) away from Evolution Studios, and was away from home 5.5 days a week. Given the circumstances, I could not continue to work there.

Driveclub is a great game, and the direction hasn't changed since my departure. This has been confirmed by SONY in various press releases over recent days.

I have no problem in dealing with very large projects, as I've been working in the games industry for the last 19 years, and have worked on some very prestigious titles, so there is genuinely no truth to anything posted by Mr Dodds at all. My departure (and indeed the setup of my 'indie' operation, BigRedSwitch) is 100% driven by family necessity, not some professional failing on my part.

I left SONY on very good terms. There is no animosity there, and I was absolutely nothing to do with the recent redundancies - in fact, the news of those redundancies was probably linked on here before I knew about them.

The games industry is a tough place at the moment. My circumstances with my son mean that I've had to leave secure work in order to try to make my own way in the world. This may entail getting another job. With people who obviously know nothing about the situation blackening my reputation for the sake of internet 'fame', this could be made much more difficult. It's nothing less than trolling.

I've contacted Mr. Dodd on his email address on his site. Due to the factual inaccuracy of his statements, I've informed him that he needs to remove the statements and apologise for the damage they have caused, as posting incorrect information and claiming it's true is quite simply libel.

I'm sure you can all appreciate just how difficult things are for myself and my family at the moment. I'd genuinely appreciate it if you can take my statements as word from the origin, and realise that there has been no big cover-up when it comes to my departure from SONY/Evo.

Thanks, all.

Col.
:-(
best of luck to you and your family. Im a fan of your work. Thanks for taking your time to come on here and set the record straight.

Nome

As someone who works in the same office complex as Riot Games, I can see how this happened. Riot, Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica (currently, that is), and Thatgamecompany are within a block of each other. And while I can't really say much for Riot (I don't talk to anyone there), there definitely seems to be a lot of shuffling people around from one building to the other. Lots of excitement all around.
Hi there! I wonder if we've seen each other around. The reason there's a lot of people shuffling around is because we're in three of the buildings :p
I officially hate the speculation on GAF about other's lives. The hyperboles and wild assumptions only seem to deface people.

God speed Col
Well, yeah. Turns out when you have people making wild guesses about shit they don't know anything about, they tend to be wrong most of the time. I cringe at most of the rumors I see posted here, and it's really unfortunate I can't comment out of common decency/NDA.

Tex117

Banned
People leave jobs all the time.

Further, I believe it was Naughty Dog who said that jumping to new consoles is always the most strenuous time in development cycles.

There could be a million reasons why people are leaving.

Hexa

Best of luck to you Col, in every sense. Strongly looking forward to what you guys cook up.

So demonnite and gopher are the only two legit people left. Both confirmed Sony employees, correct?

And this is why talking about individuals and their alleged failings is where this insider stuff should end.

If this is wrong, how do we know the other stuff isn't wrong either? And this is just purely the egocentric enthusiast perspective.

That this is actually damaging to the people this is about is a whole separate issue and very uncomfortable.

yeah, especially when there are certain websites who seemingly post an article everytime an "insider" speaks out about something.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
God Of War 4 Final Boss confirmed Neil Druckmann

methodman

Banned
I wish the best for you and your family Col.
Same. Being away from family for work is so tough. I dont have any kids but I work 3 hrs from my family / girlfriend and that's pretty tough. I can only imagine what you're going through Col with regards to your son and being so far from him. Wish it hadnt got to the point where you had to explain yourself in this way. GAF has to shut down this level of vitriol to honest, hard working people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom