• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UC4 Game Director Justin Richmond Leaves ND (And famousmortimer leaves GAF #1393)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
I am new to NeoGAF and even when I joined I wasn't always on it due to my other obligations in real life.I personally try to avoid speculation threads because that's what they are, just speculation and such things don't personally interest me. However it is really shameful to witness such travesty. We are better than this gentlemen, we should not crave any insider info every time it comes out and not let our speculation. I wasn't on GAF when that PS4DRM things was going (if my memory didn't fail me) but I heard what Mort did and it's really a shame that he'd do such thing, at least he recognized his mistake in the end.

I am sorry to hear about that Col, I hope your condition with your family gets better.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The air of authority Mort consistently tried to cultivate never materialized in my eyes, and I always found it puzzling that so many people put so much stock in his claims. I now find myself wondering, though, why everyone is vilifying the guy with such reckless abandon.

When I first read the regretful post that lead to all this, I took it as being in large part a "here is a plausible - more realistic, even! - scenario that does not require a 'oh my god, Sony is going to hell' narrative to make sense of recent events" sort of post. His primary goal was to give a sense of perspective, it seemed, not to give the absolute version of what went down. Now, it wouldn't have been surprising for his scenario to be informed by things he heard, and it seems that was the case. I can imagine, though, that his threshold for making those particular claims was lowered because his specific goal was not to leak, but to craft a more nuanced picture of things. Undoubtedly ego played a role here, and false claims were made, either way. But this is also a case of a normal person failing to be conscious of the impact his words can have, of the line between informed-speculative claims and facts, and so on. I find it difficult to be morally outraged by his admittedly still serious mistake.

Yes, his threshold for making such negative claims about someone he knew next to nothing about in particular was much too low. It's unfortunate he had to go there, and even more unfortunate doing so ended up having a real impact. But most of us know how easy it is to forget these names we throw around are attached to complicated, vulnerable human beings who may not be quite as distant as we imagine. I highly, highly doubt Mort had any negative intentions when he threw Roger's particular name around so carelessly.

I'm not saying Mort didn't badly mess up, because yes, he messed up...badly. That thing about these names being attached to "complicated, vulnerable human beings" applies no less to him, though, than it does to Rogers. The lifetime ban seems appropriate enough, but his capacity to have a very low moment doesn't cancel out whatever good he's done, and it certainly doesn't cancel out the fact that in his day to day life he's probably a perfectly fine guy.

In other words, the incredible explosion of cannibalistic, righteous impulse coming out of this thread and directed to someone who was once so pedestalized...neither side seems to deserve it.

Very nice. Eloquently put.

I guess it's "everyone else is kicking the horse, so let me join kicking the horse" mentality. Even if the horse did deserve it, there's a point where it's just crossing the line.

The air of authority Mort consistently tried to cultivate never materialized in my eyes, and I always found it puzzling that so many people put so much stock in his claims. I now find myself wondering, though, why everyone is vilifying the guy with such reckless abandon.

When I first read the regretful post that lead to all this, I took it as being in large part a "here is a plausible - more realistic, even! - scenario that does not require a 'oh my god, Sony is going to hell' narrative to make sense of recent events" sort of post. His primary goal was to give a sense of perspective, it seemed, not to give the absolute version of what went down. Now, it wouldn't have been surprising for his scenario to be informed by things he heard, and it seems that was the case. I can imagine, though, that his threshold for making those particular claims was lowered because his specific goal was not to leak, but to craft a more nuanced picture of things. Undoubtedly ego played a role here, and false claims were made, either way. But this is also a case of a normal person failing to be conscious of the impact his words can have, of the line between informed-speculative claims and facts, and so on. I find it difficult to be morally outraged by his admittedly still serious mistake.

Yes, his threshold for making such negative claims about someone he knew next to nothing about in particular was much too low. It's unfortunate he had to go there, and even more unfortunate doing so ended up having a real impact. But most of us know how easy it is to forget these names we throw around are attached to complicated, vulnerable human beings who may not be quite as distant as we imagine. I highly, highly doubt Mort had any negative intentions when he threw Roger's particular name around so carelessly.

I'm not saying Mort didn't badly mess up, because yes, he messed up...badly. That thing about these names being attached to "complicated, vulnerable human beings" applies no less to him, though, than it does to Rogers. The lifetime ban seems appropriate enough, but his capacity to have a very low moment doesn't cancel out whatever good he's done, and it certainly doesn't cancel out the fact that in his day to day life he's probably a perfectly fine guy.

In other words, the incredible explosion of cannibalistic, righteous impulse coming out of this thread and directed to someone who was once so pedestalized...neither side seems to deserve it.

I think what you said best fits my overall train of thought to the whole thing. Thanks for putting it out better than I ever could.

Yagharek

Mort is still alright in my books. He fucked up but hes alright. All wrong sometimes but still alright.

He was pretty irresponsible in what he posted. That kind of misinformation, intended or not, can have detrimental effects on a person's employment.

People really should learn to keep their mouths shut when it comes to specific employment issues unless it directly involves them.

It's awful the Col Rodgers had to come on here and give out that horrible news because someone who knows a guy who knows a guy comes on here and starts wring stuff about you.

Mort should have been banned when he defiantly tried to pass off that crazy ass rumor that Amazon was going to buy Xbox. I also seem to remember him saying that Xbox Live was completely broken right before the Xbox One launch. Now this. So much stupidity. Always seemed like to me that he wanted to keep his 15 mins of fame after the #PS4NoDRM going longer than it should have.

Edit: yeah this http://doddscientifics.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/xbox-one-os-and-xbox-live-issues-bouncing-about-as-we-approach-launch/

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Best wishes for the future, Col

Falcon511

Banned
He was pretty irresponsible in what he posted. That kind of misinformation, intended or not, can have detrimental effects on a person's employment.

People really should learn to keep their mouths shut when it comes to specific employment issues unless it directly involves them.

This so much this. It wasnt his place to post that info. While i am glad that he apologized, the other info in that post probably isnt true either. I cant even say he meant well in all this because the post really came down hard on the developers. We are talking veteran developers here not someone who is new to the industry. He kind of played this like they were cocky, reckless or dumb. I did kind of tell him last night it will bite him back and he will regret such a post.

Mort should have been banned when he defiantly tried to pass off that crazy ass rumor that Amazon was going to buy Xbox. I also seem to remember him saying that Xbox Live was completely broken right before the Xbox One launch. Now this. So much stupidity. Always seemed like to me that he wanted to keep his 15 mins of fame after the #PS4NoDRM going longer than it should have.

Amazon buying Xbox was twitter, not a forum post. Unfortunately, there's a good amount of stuff said on Twitter left unchecked/unvetted. Again, it highlights his irresponsibility... zomgwtfbbq said that rumour is real, but no one thinks there's any weight to that rumour worth sharing out. Rumours, are fundamentally, rumours. Not everything has a smoking gun to them.

As for Xbox Live, it's typical mort hyperbole. Some of the stuff he said did end up true at a superficial level, but it's annoyance and poor implementation... not broken. He probably deserves a temp.ban for that, because it's not entirely wrong, but that thread should had been his reflection point to tone down on the hyperboles and strictly provide points, not add some narrative, be it his source's, or his own.

Usobuko

Banned
GopherD, not sure if I got his name correctly, is he working for Sony? I remember he has quite an accurate hit on 2013 E3 info but the way he leaks is was rather interesting too.

Amazon buying Xbox was twitter, not a forum post. Unfortunately, there's a good amount of stuff said on Twitter left unchecked/unvetted. Again, it highlights his irresponsibility... zomgwtfbbq said that rumour is real, but no one thinks there's any weight to that rumour worth sharing out. Rumours, are fundamentally, rumours. Not everything has a smoking gun to them.

As for Xbox Live, it's typical mort hyperbole. Some of the stuff he said did end up true at a superficial level, but it's annoyance and poor implementation... not broken. He probably deserves a temp.ban for that, because it's not entirely wrong, but that thread should had been his reflection point to tone down on the hyperboles and strictly provide points, not add some narrative, be it his source's, or his own.

True, but he knows that he's big on Gaf and a lot of people on here read his blog and Twitter and jump on it right away. He might not have posted it on here, but he was associated with Gaf and was the target audience for the stuff he said.

ramuh

inFamousmortimer needs to start building up that good karma. HA.

Like in infamous! Lol.

But seriously. I think he knows and we know this will damage his reputation a least among GAFers for a least a while. It was a stupid mistake (I don't believe malicious) but it will affect his reputation beyond our GAF walls.

Vire

kyRWU2R.png

Druckmann dropping truth bombs on IGN and GAF. :/

dude's wordpress is on fire

The best part about all this is that pretty much all of us in San Mateo are laughing at you. While some of us (not me, thankfully) engaged you to keep fans happy, pretty much everyone knew you had no clothes. Unfortunately, we were’t able to say anything.

The schadenfreude in San Mateo was good today. It was good to see you flop so publicly. I’m sure our pr friends in Redmond are also having a good laugh. Cheers to my xbox friends, from one of your counterparts down south.

Zen

Banned
Seems like a silly reason for a ban, it is not like he was claiming that his post was insider info In that post was he?

Valnen

The best part about all this is that pretty much all of us in San Mateo are laughing at you. While some of us (not me, thankfully) engaged you to keep fans happy, pretty much everyone knew you had no clothes. Unfortunately, we were’t able to say anything.

The schadenfreude in San Mateo was good today. It was good to see you flop so publicly. I’m sure our pr friends in Redmond are also having a good laugh. Cheers to my xbox friends, from one of your counterparts down south.

Whoever wrote that seems to be a far bigger dick than famousmortimer ever was tbh. That's just stupidly spiteful.

Tuck

Jeez this thread...

This whole situation is just really shitty. Sucks for Col, and sucks for Mort. And it sucks for GAF as a whole because the whole situation makes GAF looks awful, especially when its coupled with the whole Amy Hening thing from a while back.

Additionally, Insiders can be a lot of fun on GAF, but with the whole CBOAT thing and now this, it really does seem like they are more trouble than they are worth.

But the big thing is people need to stop witch hunting, and that includes going after Mort now. He messed up, he was appropriately punished, he apologized. No need to attack him further. He has done good things, afterall.

Averon

kyRWU2R.png

Druckmann dropping truth bombs on IGN and GAF. :/

Yup. I hated how IGN reported about Hennig's departure. The some of the speculation in the initial IGN thread was off-the-wall. Druckmann's name was dragged into the mud without any sort of proof.

I don't understand, who or what is in San Mateo?

Seems like a silly reason for a ban, it is not like he was claiming that his post was insider info In that post was he?
Doesn't matter if you preface something with "This isn't insider info"; posting hurtful and wrong rumors is not ok.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

1AJ5TJv.gif

Sounds like a complete asshole.

Zen

Banned

I would argue that a lifetime ban was not warranted, as it would be hard to argue that the splash from his post was intentional, but very well put.

Doesn't matter if you preface something with "This isn't insider info"; posting hurtful and wrong rumors is not ok.

So, regardless of if you have insider info or not, saying something bad allegedly happened about someone is wrong regardless of any intent simply if you heard it wrong from someone else. Got it. I think a public apology was certainly in order, and temp ban and thin ice status, but in no way did he mean it maliciously, and the hahah he sucks cheer leading is frankly disgusting. It is as if people are reacting extra harsh on what is just any other instance of someone getting something wrong simply because the person who he was talking about happened to post in this thread and is under unfortunate circumstances which is kind of tacky of people, to be honest.

Do you believe he knowingly posted a falsehood? Because that is what actually matters.

Hey Col Rogers! Sorry you had to disclose that to clear your name, it sucks!!

As a father I will do the best I can, and that is pray everyday for your son, and God will give you a strong heart to battle anything!!

**Tips hat**

Just going to quote this because I agree 100%. You've described my thoughts exactly, much better than I ever could.

I would argue that a lifetime ban was not warranted, as it would be hard to argue that the splash from his post was intentional, but very well put.

So, regardless of if you have insider info or not, saying something bad allegedly happened about someone is wrong regardless of any intent. Got it.

The 'hurtful' part is the most damning part of the whole thing.

This is different from other leaks he's gotten wrong, like game reveals, or whatnot. This time, it points laser pointers at a single person, and the things being said are extremely damaging and hurtful.

It's like the Druckmann angle on IGN's Amy Hennig story. The scoop itself was fine, but the part about being forced out by Druckmann was horrible, horrible reporting.

oh ya. For sure. He fudged up good with this one. Hopefully its a lesson learned. Ive said some stupid shit it my life I wish I could take back. We all make mistakes. If Col can forgive him I think we should be able to as well.

Anteater

Hello, all.

This is my first post on NeoGAF, and whilst I'm not generally one to deal in internet speculation, I have to put the record straight with regard to Pete Dodd's comments above.

Everything he has said with regard to myself and Driveclub is incorrect. It's also libellous.

As Putty (who is a personal friend of mine, and has been for about 25 years) suggests, I left Evo in February for personal reasons. The personal reasons being that my son, who is 4 years old, has been diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome, which is a potentially life threatening condition. I live 220 miles (4 hours drive) away from Evolution Studios, and was away from home 5.5 days a week. Given the circumstances, I could not continue to work there.

Driveclub is a great game, and the direction hasn't changed since my departure. This has been confirmed by SONY in various press releases over recent days.

I have no problem in dealing with very large projects, as I've been working in the games industry for the last 19 years, and have worked on some very prestigious titles, so there is genuinely no truth to anything posted by Mr Dodds at all. My departure (and indeed the setup of my 'indie' operation, BigRedSwitch) is 100% driven by family necessity, not some professional failing on my part.

I left SONY on very good terms. There is no animosity there, and I was absolutely nothing to do with the recent redundancies - in fact, the news of those redundancies was probably linked on here before I knew about them.

The games industry is a tough place at the moment. My circumstances with my son mean that I've had to leave secure work in order to try to make my own way in the world. This may entail getting another job. With people who obviously know nothing about the situation blackening my reputation for the sake of internet 'fame', this could be made much more difficult. It's nothing less than trolling.

I've contacted Mr. Dodd on his email address on his site. Due to the factual inaccuracy of his statements, I've informed him that he needs to remove the statements and apologise for the damage they have caused, as posting incorrect information and claiming it's true is quite simply libel.

I'm sure you can all appreciate just how difficult things are for myself and my family at the moment. I'd genuinely appreciate it if you can take my statements as word from the origin, and realise that there has been no big cover-up when it comes to my departure from SONY/Evo.

Thanks, all.

Col.

Sorry to hear, good luck with your indie development, can't wait to see what you guys come up with :D

Zen

Banned
The 'hurtful' part is the most damning part of the whole thing.

This is different from other leaks he's gotten wrong, like game reveals, or whatnot. This time, it points laser pointers at a single person, and the things being said are extremely damaging and hurtful.

It's like the Druckmann angle on IGN's Amy Hennig story. The scoop itself was fine, but the part about being forced out by Druckmann was horrible, horrible reporting.

If they legitimately heard it from a source that they trusted then you can not fault them for running the story. It was not some TMZ level thing, it would have been directly related to why she left. Why on earth would Mortimer lie, certainly not for clicks like one might accuse IGN.

Replicant

Exactly how I felt reading posts from page 38 and forward now that I have the chance to do it. It was really uncomfortable watching Mort being lynched 'live', so to speak, as I read through the sequence of events. Not that he wasn't responsible for his actions but I couldn't help but cringing through it all.

I'm trying to simultaneously read the comments there and here. To be honest all the comments seem terrible, I'm surprised he doesn't delete them. I'm assuming he can do that?

Yeah the more I scroll down the worse it is.

He probably can but I suspect the internet and his blog are now something to avoid for him personally over the next few days at least .

JayEH

Well, this thread definitely blew up. Pete Dodd always comes across very harsh in all his "reports". He was right on a lot of things but damn he messed up big time here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom