• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013

MuchoMalo

Banned
idaKSek.gif

Ooookay then...

I take it he does this a lot?

Celcius

°Temp. member
His posts may not always be the easiest to read, but there's no need for some of the drive-by posts here. Let's at least show some basic respect / courtesy and explain why we agree or disagree.

Faustek

What kind of amazing tag will Jef get when he is proven right?

What kind of crow will people eat to atone for not believing in the prophet?

Anyway good times ahead and I would love for everything to be true.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
His posts may not always be the easiest to read, but there's no need for some of the drive-by posts here. Let's at least show some basic respect / courtesy and explain why we agree or disagree.

A lot of peoples' patience ran out years ago.

newsguy

Been there done that dude. Fool me once etc etc.

Elandyll

Banned
I've been reading Jeff's stuff for years, starting on the Blu-Ray.com forums in the early days of the format wars if memory serves.

Growing tired of the needlessly convoluted rhetoric and the pie-in-the-sky constant, that is all.

Yazzees

He's nigh-incoherent in explaining the details of what he's even presenting, so agreeing or disagreeing sounds tough.

Factor in how he's apparently been doing this for years and, well...I haven't even been here long but I'd be lying if I said I haven't checked (well, "binged", really) his thread history. Shit is fascinating.

honestly where does he even find these documents

Krejlooc

Banned

His entire argument here rests on this 44 page document, written in 2009, about the energy cost of various devices, that begins estimating the average annual electrical cost of devices (that didn't even exist when this was written) in 2013. To OP, because they began estimating in 2013, it is absolute proof that said consoles released in 2013 have UHD capability. Never mind that the estimated cost given is infinitesimal (because the article is really arguing that cost will grow over time as devices sell, hence why they extrapolate their estimates out to 2020), do you really think such a report, jointly written by several console manufacturers, is solid proof that they released a console with UHD capabilities in 2013? It was written in 2009!

If you spend your energy trying to argue this with OP, as evident by his previous topics, you will just be wasting his time. To OP, that is solid, irrefutable proof that UHD consoles released in 2013.

Do you see now why many don't engage?

pswii60

PS4 doesn't have HDCP 2.2 nor HDMI 2.0a nor the capability to decode 10-bit HEVC natively with hardware acceleration. So, no.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

LordofPwn

PS4 doesn't have HDCP 2.2 nor HDMI 2.0a nor the capability to decode 10-bit HEVC natively with hardware acceleration. So, no.
"But the HDMI is custom and HDCP can be updated via firmware update because there's something on the southbridge." - Jeff when he replies to you with actual facts

Briarios

I knew exactly whose thread this would be before I clicked ... was pleased to be proven right. I have to admit, there would be some level of satisfaction if one of his posts turned out to be accurate. I mean, everyone deserves one win.

onQ123

Those aren't predictions, those are ideas. The idea of a better version of an existing console and the idea of a console that supports 4K. These aren't particularly unique ideas, either. And they are way too vague to be "predictions" of the sort that you should be proud of in any way.

I said "Kinda"

also if you look at all the "No"s in the threads you can see that it was pretty unique ideas around here.

BHK3

Banned
I thought the ps4/xbone lasers cannot read 4K blu rays?

Does this dude also live in a box? Why would there be rumours sprawling everywhere about PHYSICALLY UPDATED consoles if we can just simple shit out a firmware update to make everything work at 4K?

Cantaloup

Looking at the linked document I didn't see any mention of UHD media playback of any kind (Blu-Ray or streaming). Did I miss it? The supported media types are listed on pp. 6-7 and none of them are over 1080p. As far as I can tell the media playback mode power requirements are for UHD consoles playing SD or HD content.

His entire argument here rests on this 44 page document, written in 2009, about the energy cost of various devices, that begins estimating the average annual electrical cost of devices (that didn't even exist when this was written) in 2013. To OP, because they began estimating in 2013, it is absolute proof that said consoles released in 2013 have UHD capability. Never mind that the estimated cost given is infinitesimal (because the article is really arguing that cost will grow over time as devices sell, hence why they extrapolate their estimates out to 2020), do you really think such a report, jointly written by several console manufacturers, is solid proof that they released a console with UHD capabilities in 2013? It was written in 2009!

If you spend your energy trying to argue this with OP, as evident by his previous topics, you will just be wasting his time. To OP, that is solid, irrefutable proof that UHD consoles released in 2013.

Do you see now why many don't engage?
I have not yet made an argument in this thread, I just quoted the 2015 paper that mentioned UHD Game console power use starting in 2013 with UHD Blu-ray media starting in 2016. What this means to me is that some game console(s) have plans to firmware update in 2016 to support UHD Blu-ray.

Arguments against this in the past have been that the 2013 drive can't support reading a UHD Disk but the 2015 paper belies that and a Microsoft VP said in 2013 that the XB1 hardware can support UHD Blu-ray.

Further the BDA (Association that Licences Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray) lists Game Consoles. Sony has a licence for a PC UHD Blu-ray player and a licence for a UHD Movie Player/Game Console/Test player.

https://www.blu-raydisc.info/rom4-faq.php said:
What are the business categories available under the ROM4 FLLA?

Ultra HD BD-ROM Media
Ultra HD BD-ROM Movie Player/Game Console/Test Player
Ultra HD BD-ROM PC Drive
Ultra HD BD-ROM PC Application Software
Ultra HD BD-ROM CAV Content
Ultra HD BD-ROM Component, and
Ultra HD BD-ROM Tools and Manufacturing Equipment / Ultra HD BD-ROM Testers

https://www.blu-raydisc.info/content-protection/content-protection-rom4.php said:
5. Licensee shall ensure that each Ultra HD BD-ROM Game Console manufactured by Licensee does not play back any Ultra HD BD-ROM Game Media unless such media is protected either by its own proprietary content protection system or Ultra HD BD-ROM Mark. New Production Format Models of Ultra HD BD-ROM Game Consoles are subject to verification of compliance with the applicable part of Test Specification pursuant to Schedule B. The portions of New Production Format Models of Ultra HD BD-ROM Game Consoles that are responsible for detection and response to the absence of ROM Mark will be required to comply with the compliance and robustness requirements of Schedule H.

Licensee shall ensure that AACS Online and Online Certificate Verification is implemented in each Ultra HD BD-ROM Movie Player, Ultra HD BD-ROM Game Console and Ultra HD BD-ROM PC Application Software which complies with “BD-ROM Profile 6” as specified in the “System Description, Blu-ray Disc Read Only Format Part 3: Audio Visual Basic Specifications: version 3.XX.
So the counter argument to this is what? The mention of 2013 UHD Game consoles in a 2015 paper is in error and the BDA is licencing a newer game console.as the PS4 and XB1 launch consoles can't support UHD BLu-ray despite a VP stating the XB1 can and the PS4 will support 4K media.

My fault in this case is to believe the 2015 paper from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo because it's supported by the BDA and early quotes from both Sony and Microsoft. This is also supported by the latest Fuji book, HDCP and ARM Tee recommendations as well as Microsoft last June announcing XB1 support for HEVC profile 10.

Notice the difference in style here, one resorts to personal attacks and gets their facts wrong while the other provides cites and logic. The failure to engage by many, I think, is due to the effort it takes not the flavor of my posts.

LordofPwn

I don't see why Sony would block UHD Blu Ray movie playback for 3 years now when they would make millions of dollars a year of profit from it.
Because UHD Blu-Rays have just recently hit the market, and players are just now going on sale because they finalized the specs not too long ago.

Justified

I don't see why Sony would block UHD Blu Ray movie playback for 3 years now when they would make millions of dollars a year of profit from it.

The same reason Wii/WiiU blocked DVD/Blu-ray. Having the hardware is one thing, but having the certifications, licenses, and finalized specifications is another

your topic title is an argument - that UHD Blu-ray Game Consoles shipped in 2013.

Thats Jeff's style. Its not "his" argument, but a heavily editorialized bullet point from the link in his OP. I would agree thats what he needs to work on ,distinguishing definitive from speculative

jsnepo

I never expected this to be a rigby thread. So what this means is that either the PS4 or the Xbox One will be able to play 4K BDs just through a firmware update? What about the HDMI? I thought 4K require higher bandwidth.

fritolay

I predicted XB1 BC right here on GAF, and had many people dismiss it. Then it was true. I didn't use any detective work just my insights.

LordofPwn

I have not yet made an argument in this thread, I just quoted the 2015 paper that mentioned UHD Game console power use starting in 2013 with UHD Blu-ray media starting in 2016. What this means to me is that some game console(s) have plans to firmware update in 2016 to support UHD Blu-ray.

Arguments against this in the past have been that the 2013 drive can't support reading a UHD Disk but the 2015 paper belies that and a Microsoft VP said in 2013 that the XB1 hardware can support UHD Blu-ray.

Further the BDA (Association that Licences Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray) lists Game Consoles. Sony has a licence for a PC UHD Blu-ray player and a licence for a UHD Movie Player/Game Console/Test player.

So the counter argument to this is what? The mention of 2013 UHD Game consoles in a 2015 paper is in error and the BDA is licencing a newer game console.as the PS4 and XB1 launch consoles can't support UHD BLu-ray despite a VP stating the XB1 can and the PS4 will support 4K media.

My fault in this case is to believe the 2015 paper from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo because it's supported by the BDA and early quotes from both Sony and Microsoft. This is also supported by the latest Fuji book, HDCP and ARM Tee recommendations as well as Microsoft last June announcing XB1 support for HEVC profile 10.

Notice the difference in style here, one resorts to personal attacks and gets their facts wrong while the other provides cites and logic. The failure to engage by many, I think, is due to the effort it takes not the flavor of my posts.
Where in that document does it ever mention UHD Blu-ray? It says UHD capable XBO and PS4 which is true as they are both capable of outputting a UHD signal.

I never expected this to be a rigby thread. So what this means is that either the PS4 or the Xbox One will be able to play 4K BDs just through a firmware update? What about the HDMI? I thought 4K require higher bandwidth.
The PS4 has a custom Panasonic HDMI chip and HDCP is required to be in the Media Trusted Execution Environment. The XB1 is similar, HDCP is required to be in the ARM Trustzone TEE and a programmable HDMI/DP chip from Cadence provides the HDMI. The same is true of AMD's Kaveri and Carrizo. HDMI 2 timings were known way in advance of 2013.

The PS4 has a custom HDMI chip why? HDMI 1.4b can support 1080P @ 120 FPS so VR is not an issue. It can support side by side 3D or two video streams needed by Sony's VR @ 60 FPS but not at 120 FPS. Sony's VR breakout box can support two modes, one called Separate mode outputs two separate video streams @ 120FPS that the breakout box separates routing one to the Goggles and the other reducing it's framerate and sending to a TV. In separate mode you can have an entirely different screen from what's seen on the Goggles. This requires a HDMI 2 port and two video streams is a supported feature of HDMI 2 called multi-view but for AMD's Display port it's called EyeInfinity and supports 5 streams with a breakout box 5 monitors.

and the BDA is licencing a newer game console
We don't know that! For crying out loud, the BDA has a licensing category that encompasses game consoles, but there is no definitive confirmation that a game console specifically has licensed UHD BD. Maybe there is. Maybe there isn't. There is not a definitive answer that is publicly known.

LordofPwn

The PS4 has a custom Panasonic HDMI chip and HDCP is required to be in the Media Trusted Execution Environment. The XB1 is similar, HDCP is required to be in the ARM Trustzone TEE and a programmable HDMI/DP chip from Cadence provides the HDMI. The same is true of AMD's Kaveri and Carrizo. HDMI 2 timings were known way in advance of 2013.

The PS4 has a custom HDMI chip why? HDMI 1.4b can support 1080P @ 120 FPS so VR is not an issue. It can support side by side 3D or two video streams needed by Sony's VR @ 60 FPS but not at 120 FPS. Sony's VR breakout box can support two modes, one called Separate mode outputs two separate video streams @ 120FPS that the breakout box separates routing one to the Goggles and the other reducing it's framerate and sending to a TV. In separate mode you can have an entirely different screen from what's seen on the Goggles. This requires a HDMI 2 port and two video streams is a supported feature of HDMI 2 called multi-view but for AMD's Display port it's called EyeInfinity and supports 5 streams with a breakout box 5 monitors.
The breakout box also does re-projection so having the separate screen experience can still be achieved with sub 2.0 HDMI. A 60HZ stream to VR and a 60 HZ stream to the TV and the box would do the tough work of separating that and doing the re-projection to get 120hz feedback to the headset. All correct yes?

televator

So basically Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft are trying to put us all into hobbit homes. Once all the fossil fuel runs out and the Sun starts to reverse polarity, the demand on energy will make it impossible to play video games otherwise. Got it.

virtualS

I believe Jeff but I'm not so sure Sony even intends to support UHD discs any longer what with their online 4K store and lack of UHD Alliance certification on their latest sets.

Perhaps it's an internal change of strategy that is preventing the UHD disc on PS4 dream and not a hardware limitation.

Never mind, I'll just hand over my cash to Panasonic instead.

warheat

Honest question from new member.

I saw alot of Jeff post in PS4K/Neo thread, I don't understand what's he trying to say in most his post because it's too advanced (for me), but I do understand people like Durante.

Who's Jeff and what did he do in the past and why people make fun of him?

EvB

That whole document reads just as if they are laying down the rules for power consumption ahead of time. Because the manufacturers have to work within these limits, they are clearly trying to get around the power usage limitations by defining their console as something else.

Perhaps this regulatory board noticed that the Term UHD console was creeping in, so they wrote down that term as part of their restrictions in a preemptive move and Set its usage the same as the normal console.

Note how they have a separate tables for consoles with a NUI (Xbox one Kinect)

I've never considered before that the games consoles may infact be held back by power consumption figures.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Honest question from new member.

I saw alot of Jeff post in PS4K/Neo thread, I don't understand what's he trying to say in most his post because it's too advanced (for me), but I do understand people like Durante.

Who's Jeff and what did he do in the past and why people make fun of him?

Its not advanced, a lot of it is either gibberish or super concrete or definitive "evidence" he's trying to present based on piles and piles of documents that have one or two lines somewhere that give Jeff's brain some implication of something very improbable at best, which he will then post an entire thread about and defend as absolute truth till the death going round and round in circles.

"XBOX 360 IS GETTING AN UPGRADE WITH DOUBLE GPUS!"

"Jeff that makes no sense, we're already in the twilight years of the 360 and"

"No but you don't understand there's a document from 2009 that highlights a special contract between AMD & MS that focused directly on ENHANCED GPU COMPUTING AT 45NM!"

"Jeff those are prototypes for the 360 S SOC with a die shrink"

"But no you don't understand"

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Again with this? I thought the Neo would be the end of this speculation.

Top Bottom