• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Rise of the Tomb Raider sells <60k units at launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwolBro

Banned
No I dont think that what he's saying. But if its not on Twitc its not that popular. And I agree.

But this game isnt succesfull at all right now. So im not sure why you feel the thread is terrible

Really? So, majority of console gamers frequent twitch? I'd love data to back that up because i sure as hell did not know that.

MediaHandler.ashx

Yeah, I fucking loathe this attitude, both as a consumer with limited funds at any given time, and as someone who is interested in the business side of the industry.

Steroyd

No I dont think that what he's saying. But if its not on Twitc its not that popular. And I agree.

But this game isnt succesfull at all right now. So im not sure why you feel the thread is terrible

While I agree to using Twitch as a data reference point to gauge a games popularity/mindshare it shouldn't be used to outright determine a games popularity.

level1

You said that with a straight face.. those 2 games over Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid 5, or Fallout 4? I know it's opinion but neither of those games are on the level..

RotTR is on par with Bloodborne, Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. I'll say that with a straight face any day (even though they're completely different genres). I didn't enjoy mgsv at all, so won't comment about that comparison.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Aaron Greenberg, to me, comes off as very incompetent and incapable of performing his duties. He is almost a badged fanboy based on his Twitter account.

Although I'm not one to make people jobless, I believe this guy needs to be replaced. I truly believe their release schedule and vision of seasons is flawed and this guy is the catalyst of this.

I have spoken to him a few times and I found him to be a decent person but I have to agree with this. When he was on the kinda funny podcast and some of the stuff he came out with, like saying "hopefully people both" when asked about Tomb Raider v Fallout, I thought that was no where good enough for a guy in that role.

So going by twitch there are 7 thousand people watching black ops 3 and 4 and a half thousand watching rise of the tomb raider. Shut the thread down folkes. Tomb raider is damn popular! Only 6 thousand watching battlefront. Looks to be doing well by all accounts.

gaming_noob

So going by twitch there are 7 thousand people watching black ops 3 and 4 and a half thousand watching rise of the tomb raider. Shut the thread down folkes. Tomb raider is damn popular! Only 6 thousand watching battlefront. Looks to be doing well by all accounts.

Prime time (7pm -12am EST) averages about 38k for BO3 and 2k for RoTR.

It's almost as if one of those three games isn't on PC yet, or something. But I agree, shut it down - RotTR is done for, because Twitch has spoken.

Twitch,street fighterV,goty this thread has been everywhere all because some just can't look at the facts that as of NOW by the cold hard numbers we have TR didn't open very well whether it has legs,does well in na is,is goty material is pointless discussion as of right now this is the uk thread and those numbers aren't great its a shame but no getting around that

foxbeldin

How many of those are ps4 players?

Tomb Raider will do ok in the long run

The franchise or the game? The franchise, possibly. But the game, I dont know. Where do see a big second push for this game coming from? 2016 is pretty slammed with big releases. Im sure the PS4 launch will help a little, but I just don't see any place for a potential huge bump in sales.

The franchise or the game? The franchise, possibly. But the game, I dont know. Where do see a big second push for this game coming from? 2016 is pretty slammed with big releases. Im sure the PS4 launch will help a little, but I just don't see any place for a potential huge bump in sales.
It'll probably have decent legs with Steam since it'll launch in a relatively calm part of the year. The console versions are fucked though.

Either tomb raider picks up in dec&jan or it's dead until pc&ps4(even than i dont see it picking up much) if it didn't open strong it wont keep going strong in November, now some will argue black friday..yeaaaa no black friday will be dominated by sport titles,skylanders,Cod,battlefront and fallout..facts.
Now December maybe it find a place for Christmas and January looks pretty barren but after that not a chance feb 2016 kicks the year of wayyy to packed

jelly

Still the Christmas shopping months then Microsoft can bundle it with consoles like no tomorrow. I think it will do most of it's sales like the last one at a cheaper price. Might not get many 60 bucks buyers but should still sell decent enough on PC and PS4. UK sales are bad, mainland Europe sales must be non existent so US sales should be interesting next month, if they don't pick up the slack, oh dear. Any Xbox owners in the next year will get a good bundle though!

Chirotera

Banned
- Launched exclusively on the less popular console.
- Launched on the same day as Fallout 4.

Very unfortunate 'cause it seems like it's a strong game.

You'd think there would be one suit, somewhere, that would weigh those two considerations and go, "hmmm, even though it's finished maybe we should release it early next year instead? Nahhh, let's waste millions on development then send the game out to die thereby killing profit for not only it but any potential future installments... that makes much better business sense."

Also, that exclusive deal? Still bullshit.

You'd think there would be one suit, somewhere, that would weigh those two considerations and go, "hmmm, even though it's finished maybe we should release it early next year instead? Nahhh, let's waste millions on development then send the game out to die thereby killing profit for not only it but any potential future installments... that makes much better business sense."

Also, that exclusive deal? Still bullshit.

We don't know what gets said privately but yeah you would think someone would take a minute wouldn't you. Bullet point strategy strikes again.

But then MS's "Greatest line-up in Xbox history" narrative would fall apart, even though the game would very likely benefit from a bit of breathing space were it released in January. Definitely agree @digoutyoursoul that TR was sacrificed to be a bullet-point.

But then MS's "Greatest line-up in Xbox history" narrative would fall apart, even though the game would very likely benefit from a bit of breathing space were it released in January. Definitely agree @digoutyoursoul that TR was sacrificed to be a bullet-point.
That narrative fell apart the moment they said it. Even more so when Greenberg decided the holiday started in August just so they could include the gears remaster and rare replay in that narrative

dreamfall

It's a shame that they really killed the sales of their title by staggering the release dates. The game is absolutely incredible too, I'm sure as it gets released to other platforms it'll do wonderfully. I hope Square-Enix's sales predictions aren't completely insane. The team at Crystal Dynamics created such a good sequel. I hope they'll be good!

That narrative fell apart the moment they said it. Even more so when Greenberg decided the holiday started in August just so they could include the gears remaster and rare replay in that narrative

I didn't know they were counting pre-season releases as well. I feel repulsed! Why would I have any interest in games released before October?!

evilr

Banned
I have spoken to him a few times and I found him to be a decent person but I have to agree with this. When he was on the kinda funny podcast and some of the stuff he came out with, like saying "hopefully people both" when asked about Tomb Raider v Fallout, I thought that was no where good enough for a guy in that role.

I don't doubt he's a nice guy but yeh I also watched that interview, and others, and it has put his commercial sense into question. Almost anyone else would have realised Tomb Raider is an EU brand which Xbox One is non existent in. Furthermore, people who buy Fallout 4, generally are not going to bother with a game that released on the same day. His lack of global market understanding may have destroyed the entire Tomb Raider brand. Well, it already has but I am hoping it bounces back.

I don't doubt he's a nice guy but yeh I also watched that interview, and others, and it has put his commercial sense into question. Almost anyone else would have realised Tomb Raider is an EU brand which Xbox One is non existent in. Furthermore, people who buy Fallout 4, generally are not going to bother with a game that released on the same day. His lack of global market understanding may have destroyed the entire Tomb Raider brand. Well, it already has but I am hoping it bounces back.

The game itself is great, visually stunning, for me one of the best looking games of this generation so far and a blast to play. CD deserve great credit for this sequel. Not only does it show the Xbox is no slouch in the visual stakes but also shows you can have great visuals and gameplay to match it. They deserve all the plaudits.

Destroyed the brand ? I don't agree but if the game bombs then questions certainly need to be asked about the whole strategy behind it and I feel the likes of Aaron need to be pulled up on it by the media if need be. I'm a Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo fan but that shouldn't mean you shouldn't criticise and I do a lot only because I want them to do better. Aaron surrounds himself by a disturbing number of Twitter users who kiss his Arse and see no wrong in anything they do which I think is wrong and eventually gets you no where. Mike Ybbara of the Live team is the same but that's for another thread. I can't stand the bullet point strategy they have at times, Quantum Break releasing in April is a welcome change.

Now see i sense ur sarcasm and idk if it's directed at me or Microsoft

It's not directed at you; please don't take any of this personally.

Surely. I mean according to CD, Microsoft has showed alot of "passion" for tomb raider. They must of used it all in the beginning

They had loads of passion when they bought the exclusive. But they'd run out by the time it came to actually releasing the game.

The game itself is great, visually stunning, for me one of the best looking games of this generation so far and a blast to play. CD deserve great credit for this sequel. Not only does it show the Xbox is no slouch in the visual stakes but also shows you can have great visuals and gameplay to match it. They deserve all the plaudits.

Destroyed the brand ? I don't agree but if the game bombs then questions certainly need to be asked about the whole strategy behind it and I feel the likes of Aaron need to be pulled up on it by the media if need be. I'm a Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo fan but that shouldn't mean you shouldn't criticise and I do a lot only because I want them to do better. Aaron surrounds himself by a disturbing number of Twitter users who kiss his Arse and see no wrong in anything they do which I think is wrong and eventually gets you no where. Mike Ybbara of the Live team is the same but that's for another thread. I can't stand the bullet point strategy they have at times, Quantum Break releasing in April is a welcome change.

Am I missing something? I thought Greenberg was a PR mouthpiece and nothing more. I didn't see him as someone who would be in a position to decide a release date or any other important strategic move.

I don't get the lineup thing they're trying to push, your line up is good all right so how about giving people ample space to actually buy and play all of your games?

They had loads of passion when they bought the exclusive. But they'd run out by the time it came to actually releasing the game.

I wonder if RoTR ended up falling through the cracks of the change in MS' approach to 3rd party deals back when the deal was originally announced, to their focus more on developing their 1st party now.

It's not directed at you; please don't take any of this personally.

Ahh ok no problem so much sarcasm and some getting offensive in here i can't tell sometimes lol.

Yea should've saved that passion for their own franchise

Freeman

Banned

The funny thing is that that's probably true, not that it is a compliment to them, just show how behind they are in comparison to the competition.

Release in January and you're competing with all the games people got for Christmas, all the games they're picking up in January sales, and then people are feeling the pinch a bit because of all the pre-Christmas spending and are being more careful with money. Maybe you sell more than 60k copies, maybe you don't, it's impossible to ever know but I don't think releasing pre-Christmas was a bad decision to make just because hindsight tells us it was.

Like, it's pretty easy to sit here and say how stupid they were, but I don't think many people on GAF saw a 60k figure for UK sales coming before it happened, even if they could see that releasing a few days after Fallout 4 wasn't necessarily the best move and sales would suffer a bit. It still easily could have done okay.

evilr

Banned
How much power does Aaron Greenburg have anyways? He always seemed like just a PR person, like Reggie.

Hes the head of marketing or something. So essentially he is responsible for the elements of the marketing mix (product, place, price, promotion).

In other words, he's the one to point the finger at and I haven't agreed with much what he has done for this entire generation.

Lol it was reaching at best. The holiday is what Microsoft wants it to be essentially. I still stand by what i said before 2016 looks way better
2016 looks way better in what way boyo? I have been complaining about TR releasing at this date for I don't know how long, it should have always been a January release. The only big exclusives that can come in November is Uncharted, TLOU, God of War, Gran Tursimo, Halo, & Gears of War from either company. Otherwise, you're sending it out to die.

MilkyJoe

Jingle bells.... la la la...

Dude, My missus couldn't get a copy of Titan Fall** at Christmas last year..

In what universe do you guys live that all the kids get toys and gifts all year round? There are going to be plenty of parents, buying lots of different games, over the next month and they are not going to just get the very latest

This is the release schedule from now until Christmas on xbox one.

GAMES RELEASED ON FRIDAY 20 NOVEMBER

Professional Farmer 2016

GAMES RELEASED ON FRIDAY 27 NOVEMBER

Kung Fu Panda: Showdown Of Legendary Legends

GAMES RELEASED ON TUESDAY 1 DECEMBER
Rainbow Six Siege
Just Cause 3

That's it!! There are going to be plenty of Tomb Raider sales.

** She was very much mistaken that was what I asked for, so thank fuck

I also know they will also buy Halo & Star Wars

2016 looks way better in what way boyo? I have been complaining about TR releasing at this date for I don't know how long, it should have always been a January release. The only big exclusives that can come in November is Uncharted, TLOU, God of War, Gran Tursimo, Halo, & Gears of War from either company. Otherwise, you're sending it out to die.
O when i said 2016 looks better i meant Microsofts lineup not tr releasing.

blakep267

I actually don't have a problem with them releasing tomb raider now.unless you release it in Juky or August, there's always gonna be competition for it. I would've done the same thing. my thought process is that it's not about selling copies of the game as much as essentially having another bullet point as to why you want to buy an Xbox during the holidays. I just don't think they've been pushing it enough to emphasize that point. Also having the bundle only be at Best Buy was a weird move. TR should've gotten the assassins creed treatment and been a $350 500gb bundle, reduced to $299 on Black Friday and available everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom