• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Rise of the Tomb Raider sells <60k units at launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conduit

Banned
Eh?

ReCore, Quantum Break, Scalebound, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, Gears 4, Cuphead, Inside, Ashen, Halo Wars 2 is what we know of so far.

Each to there own but as far as tent pole games go, I think that stands against Sony's release schedule pretty well.

Sea Of Thieves and Crackdown are scheduled for 2016?

blakep267

XBOX_SQUARE.jpg

Tomb_Raider_Box_Final.jpg

That's kinda fucked up dude
Sea Of Thieves and Crackdown are scheduled for 2016?
Well from the sounds of it, the multiplayer beta for crackdown is scheduled for summer. No word on the actual game

Eh?

ReCore, Quantum Break, Scalebound, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, Gears 4, Cuphead, Inside, Ashen, Halo Wars 2 is what we know of so far.

Each to there own but as far as tent pole games go, I think that stands against Sony's release schedule pretty well.

I never really do these list war, but no it is not comparable. You had to dig pretty deep and list games that have not been announced for 2016 (Crackdown 3 and Sea Of Thieve) and digital only games. PS4 has more retail exclusives than your list. Add the smaller games PS4 games like The Witness, WILD, The Tomorrow Children, Edith Finch etc and it becomes quite lopsided.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's fucking stupid how all the big games are always released in the same week.
Publishers are bad at their job; publishing games.
I honestly don't know what their purpose is any more.
I know it's a thing to act like you're better than these people at their own jobs, but I'm pretty sure the market can bear more than one big release at a time becoming successes.

Welfare

I never really do these list war, but no it is not comparable. You had to dig pretty deep and list games that have not been announced for 2016 (Crackdown 3 and Sea Of Thieve) and digital only games. PS4 has more retail exclusives than your list. Add the smaller games PS4 games like The Witness, WILD, The Tomorrow Children, Edith Finch etc and it becomes quite lopsided.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves are 2016 games. Crackdown was announced at E3 2014 and Sea of Thieves this E3 (and having actual gameplay at E3). It's unlikely those two would be 2017 titles.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves are 2016 games. Crackdown was announced at E3 2014 and Sea of Thieves this E3 (and having actual gameplay at E3). It's unlikely those two would be 2017 titles.

I'm not trying to say that it is, but "gameplay footage" can easily be "target renders."

Look at Rime & FFXV for example. Debuted with gameplay, except that actually it wasn't really.

Garlador

Not on the same day, not against the biggest game of the year.

Yeah. It was a bad business call, straight up. And it wasn't a one-off either. It was a bad business call in a sea of other bad business calls. All of which customers said were bad business calls over the past year for months on end.

Nobody is "shocked" the game is under-performing. We all EXPECTED it.

I can only assume the ego and hubris involved by the publisher wasn't "oh, we need to watch out for Fallout", it was "we're big enough, Fallout should watch out for us!"

... only for reality to crash down and for them to realize Tomb Raider is not as big as it once was nor as big as those involved thought it was.

Coxy100

Banned
Sony Attack Force in action in this thread I see. Plus a bit of Xbox Defence Force in return.

Why has it turned into a list wars thread?? Think the thread has run its course now...

Garlador

Tomb Raider didn't release on the same day as Fallout in the UK.

It did everywhere else, though, and that definitely hurt it even MORE.

It honestly shouldn't have launched in the same week, even the same MONTH, as Fallout 4 and all the other titles. It could have owned January instead of being swept under the rug by all the other major releases.

SomTervo

Sony Attack Force in action in this thread I see. Plus a bit of Xbox Defence Force in return.

Why has it turned into a list wars thread?? Think the thread has run its course now...

IDK, it periodically touches base on how this all relates to Rot Tomb Raider.

Turned into list thread because people were weighing the pros/cons of exclusivity with Xbox One for a year. Which naturally turns into 'which console has best or more exclusives, how well do those exclusives sell, and do they really sell console units'.

oSoLucky

And you added so much to the thread.

Do we know what the WW projections SE had for this game are, or its budget? Hopefully it doesn't need as much as the last one to become profitable. I would hate to see the IP go into hibernation if this game doesn't end up hitting the mark. There's no next gen to make a launch window port and get increased profits this time around.

you are reaching really hard

I was responding to this person

Yeah, I mean they've only got to get a better exclusive line up than Uncharted 4, Street Fighter V, The Last Guardian, The Tomorrow Children, No Mans Sky, Ratchet and Clank, Gravity Rush HD, Gravity Rush 2, Gran Turismo Sport, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Star Ocean 5, Dragon Quest Heroes 2

If you think I am reaching with the games I mentioned - ReCore, Quantum Break, Scalebound, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, Gears 4, Cuphead, Inside, Ashen, Halo Wars 2.

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

have you guys seen this?

Early sales of &#8203;Rise of the Tomb Raider were influenced by its timed exclusivity on Xbox platforms.

That's according to PlayStation senior product manager Chris Brown, who suggests things would have been better if the game was released on Sony's PlayStation 4.

"Poor Tomb Raider," he said on Twitter. "&#8203;UK sales: Rise of the Tomb Raider <63k.&#8203;

&#8203;"And Fallout 4 - despite Microsoft Xbox One support - still sold better on PS4&#8203;."

Tweet

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The explanation is simple:

Rise of the Tomb Raider < 63,000 (Tomb Raider debuted selling around 183,000 units)
BECAUSE
Fallout 4 ~ 482,000

It could also at least doubled if not reached the same 183,000 if this was on the PS4 as well. It is not just FO4.

MSFT said they wanted their Uncharted (which they still had regardless), by keeping TR from the system/gamers that had UC (which now causes UC to just sell more), and Sony then provided the Collection this Fall. UC4 would have more than likely mopped the floor with TR if it released this Fall and was not delayed, even with FO4 out. That is telling, and shows it was more for Square to accept the MSFT money because they probably had a gut feeling (at the time they assumed UC4 was coming), this would happen.

Does anyone have sales numbers for the NDC in the UK for launch? I am curious about comparison.

SgtCobra

Nah they're both equally bad, but it's entertaining.
What point are they trying to make? Tomb Raider sold bad in the UK, end of the story, no idea what Cuphead or Uncharted 4 have to do with this.

duckroll

Okay, look, there's no reason to continue posting in this thread if this is the kind of shit we get. This isn't the end of the world, and honestly, there can probably be more informed discussions when we have more detailed sales numbers for multiple regions. If we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom