• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK:TF's first week sales on XB1 is more than the double amount TF2 sold on PS4&XB1

Maybe outside of the US. They had a pretty big push here with Mountain Dew/Doritos/Buffalo Wild Wings as well as tons of ads during basketball.

I saw the Mountain Dew promo but not really anything else. That's probably because I don't eat at Buffalo ever -- unless I'm trashed, or watch any cable show that isn't DVR'd. :p

Schlorgan

I saw the Mountain Dew promo but not really anything else. That's probably because I don't eat at Buffalo ever -- unless I'm trashed, or watch any cable show that isn't DVR'd. :p

It's definitely had a lot of money put into marketing it, just not in the places that people on this forum usually look.

I've seen more stuff for Titanfall 2 than I have for BF1.

I think not releasing on PS4 from the start and that TF1 was a good start but ultimately kind of disappointing and didn't hold an audience hurt this second one.

On the off chance that another Titanfall gets made hopefully they can get back to what made the first one so great. What am I saying, Respawn is making Star Wars games forever now.

In hindsight, probably would have been smart to keep it as an Xbox One exclusive and get the Microsoft marketing push.

Microsoft doesn't have a Halo this year. Can you imagine the kind of push they would have put behind TitanFall as their big shooter this holiday season?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
In hindsight, probably would have been smart to keep it as an Xbox One exclusive and get the Microsoft marketing push.

Microsoft doesn't have a Halo this year. Can you imagine the kind of push they would have put behind TitanFall as their big shooter this holiday season?

Did you forget that Gears of War 4 exists and undoubtedly sold more than Titanfall 2?

They sent it out to die. I imagine EA cutting ties with Respawn very soon if not the studio itself closing down.

I am still not convinced this wasnt a move done on purpose so EA could get Respawn in a weak position so they can try buy the studio or at least a large chunk of shares in it.

We shall see.

Calen

No it isn't, you simply don't understand it.

In many industries, the days of the week are abbreviated as M, T, W, R, F, S, S. Tuesday is T, and Thursday is R.

Because TF2 is typically taken to mean Team Fortress 2, Titanfall 2 at some point as abbreviated to R2. I don't necessarily agree that it's a good idea, but I understand why and it's far from unintelligible.

It's simpler than that. It's our internal name for it - Respawn's 2nd game, hence R2. Titanfall was R1. I'm not entirely sure how it spread to become a popular name for it on here, but it probably had something to do with all the Respawn folks that post here using it automatically instead of TF2 or Titanfall2 or something.

Gator86

They're building up a second team to do Star Wars.

If the mainstream rejects Infinite Warfare, I think it's very possible that a significant number of them end up with Titanfall 2 instead.

Either way, I think next month's sales numbers for TF2 will be the telling ones.

Why would people suddenly abandon the franchise now? Outside of the Gaf echo chamber, COD is still absurdly popular and the inclusion of MWR makes the package even harder to compete with. Even ignoring the quality of the game, customer habits and social networks also work against TF2. People buy games to play with their friends and, going by the early sales numbers, no one has friends playing this.

I mean, sure, it would be great for the better game to perform better, but how many years in a row can people continue to assume this is the year that the COD machine breaks down?

blakep267

While I do think that would've been smarter, the date would've still been terrible. Even launching in a September or December would've been much better.

It's simpler than that. It's our internal name for it - Respawn's 2nd game, hence R2. Titanfall was R1. I'm not entirely sure how it spread to become a popular name for it on here, but it probably had something to do with all the Respawn folks that post here using it automatically instead of TF2 or TitanFall2 or something.

I hope sales for your game pick up.

That said, the design decisions made that focus the game harder on Pilot vs Pilot instead of the interaction between Pilot vs Titan were a huge mistake. You guys kneecapped the elements of the game that separated it from the pack, and emphasized the elements that made it homogenous with many other FPS games on the market.

I wrote off the game after the beta, and it was only the strong reviews for the campaign that made me jump back in. Multiplayer is still fun, but nowhere near as dynamic and multifaceted as the first.

Hopefully future updates can address it.

LowSignal

Remember when people where like "stop shoving Titanfall down our throats."

Think MS and EA didn't give a fuck this time around. Neither one owns the IP.

Maybe they should have gone with Sony on the marketing to expose it more to the PS crowd. MS doesn't seem to give fuck about TF anymore.

Wow at some of the comments but that was also when people were upset with MS.

I don't think the marketing rights were locked down till very late in the year, if I remember correctly E3/EA summer event they showed/Demoed titanfall 2 on PS4. I don't Think Sony wanted the marketing rights because they have COD.

Remember when people where like "stop shoving Titanfall down our throats."

Think MS and EA didn't give a fuck this time around. Neither one owns the IP.

However. I bought TF on day one and expected much more from the campaign. Also the campaign achievements depending on how lucky you were not to be dropped into a losing team. Lost interest pretty quick in the game and Respawn as a studio. Didn't expect them to deliver such a barebones experience.

Maybe they should have gone with Sony on the marketing to expose it more to the PS crowd. MS doesn't seem to give fuck about TF anymore.

Sony didn't want or couldn't have the marketing rights because they have the COD deal for DLC.

Microsoft would have wanted some benefit to comarketing the game, like exclusive content or an exclusivity window.

Just becoming an Xbox One exclusive and getting Microsoft all in would have probably made up more than the difference of the (thus far reported) piddling PS4 sales.

Trup1aya

What a crazy turn of events. Has a huge fan of the first, I was happy to hear it was going multiplat, because I figured it would mean certain financial success for Respawn and a healthier playerbase.

Fast forward a few years and much of what I loved about the MP had been nuetured and the game sent out to get slaughtered by bf1 and COD. Even as a multiplat, it's fairing worse than it's predecessor did as an exclusive on a much maligned recently launched console.

this amazing franchise just keeps getting tripped up by the pencil pushers.

airborn

I don't think the marketing rights were locked down till very late in the year, if I remember correctly E3/EA summer event they showed/Demoed titanfall 2 on PS4. I don't Think Sony wanted the marketing rights because they have COD.
It was clearly an eleventh hour co-marketing deal.

Titanfall 2 was still being shown on PS4 (and Xbox One) at gamescom.

Chronos24

I say give the game time. I think it will be a splatoon situation where itll consistently keep respectable numbers week after week instead of the big drop off a lot of big titles see post launch.

If the game was released in March with a bigger marketing push Titanfall 2 would sell more. But they made the dumb mistake of releasing it at the same time as Battlefield. Either EA is just that stupid or they're evil. To be fair, it's getting really good word of mouth and I'm going to rent to rent it tonight.

Looks like Activision using Respawn to fight Respawn is working. On amazon US, the PS4 and X1 versions of COD IW are above Titanfall 2, but they are both the legacy $80 edition that includes modern warfare remastered.

This is really sad. They clearly worked super hard on this. Up till recently, I didn't really care about it, due to the MP shooter market being crowded, but the SP is getting such positive buzz, that I've upgraded it from "nah" to "bargain bin" or even "sale."

Sadly the bargain bin price looks like it will be within reach far too easily. Which is good for me personally, but I rather great devs stay healthy, tbh.

I doubt Respawn is in any danger, but if for whatever reason EA decides to cut ties, a publisher like MS, Ubi or WB would be nuts not to sweep in and work with them,

Incredible talent.

JawzPause

It really is ea fault. I mean bf1 just came out and cod is out soon. They should have released it next year at around march. Very silly

Ennosuke

It really makes me sad. TF1 was amazing, TF2 now with the fantastic SP is even better. And we have less sales now? That is a shame! People need to buy this game.

I didn't buy Titanfall 2 because I already got burned on Titanfall 1.

Two months and I got fractured out of the online community and was either forced to pony up $10 or not be able to play half the games.

I don't care if TF2 has all the maps free and forever. TF1 just turned me off future entries in the franchise forever.

Plasma

Banned
Game is fantastic I hope the sale pick up in time with word of mouth, still find it hard to believe how EA thought sandwiching it between two of the biggest selling shooters of the year was a good idea. Hopefully they'll take more care when choosing the date for Respawn's Star Wars game.

Shambala

I would get it but I'm not for the same reason I won't get cod the wall running and crazy jumping stuff. Im over that. Hopefully it turns out ok for the studio tho

dh4niel

I bought Titanfall 2 on Xbox One as I knew the PC version wouldn't have the player base. As much as I thought it would be a good game before it was released

Also, the fact that there's no TF1 on PS4 and I'm weird.

Apocryphon

It's simpler than that. It's our internal name for it - Respawn's 2nd game, hence R2. Titanfall was R1. I'm not entirely sure how it spread to become a popular name for it on here, but it probably had something to do with all the Respawn folks that post here using it automatically instead of TF2 or Titanfall2 or something.

Huh! That makes sense. Sorry for the confusion!

Also, the game is stellar. I hope it meets sales expectations!!!

Console crossplay would have been a nice inclusion though...

Orca

Terrible release date murdered this game. The campaign is fantastic and some of the new gameplay mechanics....wow.
Best use of time travel in a FPS I've ever experienced, adds a ton of tactical depth to that section of the game, when you realize you can flip back to reload and reposition, then go back to 'real time' to fight. Loses a bit when they put enemies in both timelines, but still amazing to play.

Huh! That makes sense. Sorry for the confusion!

Also, the game is stellar. I hope it meets sales expectations!!!

Console crossplay would have been a nice inclusion though...

I swear, whoever is holding out here (Sony/MS) can suck it! Totally ruining games like this for not supporting cross play

Would it be safe to say that releasing TF on only one console has hurt the 2nd installment?

The opposite, actually.

The lack of a first party giving it a serious marketing push combined with EA's clear emphasis on BF1 hurt it far more than anything.

If being single-platform were the problem, it's sales on said single platform wouldn't be more than double the multi platform sequel....

Top Bottom