• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK:TF's first week sales on XB1 is more than the double amount TF2 sold on PS4&XB1

Stranya

Companies spend millions of dollars on development then for some reason lack foresight on this release date. Then when the sequel comes and guts everything fans loved they will blame it on everything but the damn release date and lack of awareness of other games.
Totally agree. The first one was a great game, and this one has excellent reviews. Yet for some godforsaken reason they release it right next to its closest rival, which happens to be the absolute top selling game in the genre.

Look at big movies: studios move their tentpole blockbusters (I.e. the cashcows) out of the way of competing films all the time, either earlier or later.

They would honestly do better if they finished the game now, started on their next project, and released it in, day, March next year.

everything i've heard says this is better than 1 by a mile. so it sucks it isn't selling as much. I'll be picking it up in january when i go to the states to visit (buying a PS4pro, then as well).

NHale

The reasons are clear at least for me and now that Titanfall we can finally talk about this franchise freely without upsetting anyone here. The Titanfall hype was absurd and as the online community months after release proved, it was completely overhyped. It was promoted by both devs, Microsoft and the press as the COD killer, the game that would by itself decide the console war (Have you seen Titanfall?), the game that would change FPS forever like COD4, basically a turning point in everything, every game from now would have to adapt to the mechanics of Titanfall!

I don't remember the last new IP that had this kind of expectations and and market awareness before launch. Then market reality kicked in and people felt the game was good but not that good to support it for a long haul which is the biggest sign that the game wasn't a gamechanger. COD4 changed FPS because people kept playing that game for years. Titanfall community died quickly and now those same people are less inclined to buy the game because they are afraid the sequel will not have a lasting impression especially when BF1 and COD release the week before/after.

Then to me it was never proven that mainstream really like the new movement mechanic in competitive FPS. Because of that silly marketing push from EA/Microsoft to push Xbox One, it felt like the mechanics of Titanfall succeeded before it even released. Now Battlefield 1 strong sales definitely prove two things, people are not tired of past wars like everyone seemed to believe after World at War and the futuristic jumping, wallrunning, free flow movement aren't needed to make a very successful FPS. That marketing spiel that fooled Activision was definitely proven entirely wrong this month.

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare as the first game with "exo" movement failed to mantain a community and COD:IW seems to be a complete failure in Activision hands. I would be shocked if they stick with this type of approach for every COD game from now on.

Of course there is room for good games like Titanfall 2, but then the other big reason why this failed appears which is the release date. Most people have to make choices with their money and most often then not they usually go and buy the more known commodity which is Battlefield and Call of Duty. Then the very strong hold of Battlefield 1 in the second week (-30%?) shows that word of mouth is really strong with that game which effecitively killed any chance of Titanfall 2 being a moderate success. Those sales of people that bought the game on the second week because people recommended BF1, didn't bought Titanfall 2 at launch. And this week you might forget about it because of COD.

Like someone said before, why not wait for February/March even if the game is ready? Typically COD users either love the game and play it for the entire year or they hate it (most likely with COD:IW) and they want another game around January/February which would the perfect opportunity to capitalize on that.

Respawn should've stuck with MS. That's where the audience was. Game is dead. RIP,

Funny because I was convinced Titanfall 2 released on Xbox One.

He probably means marketing push, awareness, bundles etc that would've come with Microsoft exclusivity.

Microsoft had the marketing rights for Titanfall 2. They could have done the exact same thing. You know like they did with Battlefield 1. Even Microsoft quit on Titanfall 2. Trying to push the agenda that making the game not "XB1+PC" exclusive was to blame is incredible silly considering the game sold 17k on XB1!!!

ironmang

Nah. Developers for games of all genres hopped on the player movement bandwagon because of Respawn's work with Titanfall. It belongs with Halo CE and Call of Duty 4 as a revolutionary title that had an influence even beyond the AAA shooter money machine.

rnaZy2b.gif

You don't think that's a bit of a stretch? Halo CE and COD4 set the shooter standard for years. Titanfall can't even keep a noteworthy playerbase for months.

There are plenty of shooters that introduced an idea that became used in popular games but nobody calls them revolutionary or probably even remembers them.

Seriously, have you been living under a rock? Even my girlfriend, who doesn't follow games at all gets ads for the game on her Twitter feed.

I use Twitter maybe 4-5 times a day and I don't recall seeing one ad for it on there. Not everyone will have the same experience.

No, you don't understand, rallying behind the game won't help it. Once NeoGaf has labeled a game as a bomb, you should abandon it because no one will be playing.

You seem to think people are taking enjoyment from calling it a bomb, which isn't the case. However, for a game with so much emphasis on its multiplayer, having a weak start isn't a good sign long-term. Of course, I think we need to see the US sales figures before we know how it's doing, but I don't imagine it will be drastically different from the UK (albeit on a larger scale) unless marketing over there has been drastically different.

You don't think that's a bit of a stretch? Halo CE and COD4 set the shooter standard for years. Titanfall can't even keep a noteworthy playerbase for months.

Its enduring multiplayer popularity doesn't really have any bearing on how influential and acclaimed its movement & shooting mechanics may be.

Chris1

Microsoft had the marketing rights for Titanfall 2. They could have done the exact same thing. You know like they did with Battlefield 1. Even Microsoft quit on Titanfall 2. Trying to push the agenda that making the game not "XB1+PC" exclusive was to blame is incredible silly considering the game sold 17k on XB1!!!
It's not as simple as that. They only got the marketing deal like two months ago, a point in time where they likely already had their marketing budget set up for the holiday and everything else. Titanfall came from nowhere, expecting a Titanfall 1-like marketing budget is bonkers given the situation.

However even if it was known well in advance... Why the hell would Microsoft give it a huge marketing push? Not only is it not exclusive, they literally have nothing to gain from it. Like at all. They are in it to sell consoles this holiday, why would they chose a Titanfall bundle over a Battlefield bundle? One game had no hype and left a bad taste in everyones mouth after the tech test with all the multiplayer changes they made. The other has huge amounts of hype and is gonna be the second best selling game this year by a landslide. When you have no real interest in helping either of those selling better, ofcourse you're gonna side with Battlefield as that's gonna move more consoles. Even then, Titanfalls marketing was a LOT better than what they are giving Battlefield so I don't know why you said "like they did with Battlefield 1".

The fact remains exclusivity generally gives you a bigger marketing campaign. No Man Sky, Uncharted, Halo, Gears, Titanfall, Forza, Sunset Overdrive, etc. You think any of them would have had as big of a marketing campaign if it was multiplatform? I seriously doubt it. The only multiplatform games that get huge pushes like Titanfall 1 are games like CoD and GTA, but they're two completely different beasts.

Saying that.... They should have had a Titanfall bundle replacing the FIFA one for the holiday. At the very least.

RibMan

The reasons are clear at least for me and now that Titanfall we can finally talk about this franchise freely without upsetting anyone here. The Titanfall hype was absurd and as the online community months after release proved, it was completely overhyped. It was promoted by both devs, Microsoft and the press as the COD killer, the game that would by itself decide the console war (Have you seen Titanfall?), the game that would change FPS forever like COD4, basically a turning point in everything, every game from now would have to adapt to the mechanics of Titanfall!

I don't remember the last new IP that had this kind of expectations and and market awareness before launch. Then market reality kicked in and people felt the game was good but not that good to support it for a long haul which is the biggest sign that the game wasn't a gamechanger. COD4 changed FPS because people kept playing that game for years. Titanfall community died quickly and now those same people are less inclined to buy the game because they are afraid the sequel will not have a lasting impression especially when BF1 and COD release the week before/after.

Then to me it was never proven that mainstream really like the new movement mechanic in competitive FPS. Because of that silly marketing push from EA/Microsoft to push Xbox One, it felt like the mechanics of Titanfall succeeded before it even released. Now Battlefield 1 strong sales definitely prove two things, people are not tired of past wars like everyone seemed to believe after World at War and the futuristic jumping, wallrunning, free flow movement aren't needed to make a very successful FPS. That marketing spiel that fooled Activision was definitely proven entirely wrong this month.

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare as the first game with "exo" movement failed to mantain a community and COD:IW seems to be a complete failure in Activision hands. I would be shocked if they stick with this type of approach for every COD game from now on.

Of course there is room for good games like Titanfall 2, but then the other big reason why this failed appears which is the release date. Most people have to make choices with their money and most often then not they usually go and buy the more known commodity which is Battlefield and Call of Duty. Then the very strong hold of Battlefield 1 in the second week (-30%?) shows that word of mouth is really strong with that game which effecitively killed any chance of Titanfall 2 being a moderate success. Those sales of people that bought the game on the second week because people recommended BF1, didn't bought Titanfall 2 at launch. And this week you might forget about it because of COD.

Like someone said before, why not wait for February/March even if the game is ready? Typically COD users either love the game and play it for the entire year or they hate it (most likely with COD:IW) and they want another game around January/February which would the perfect opportunity to capitalize on that.

Funny because I was convinced Titanfall 2 released on Xbox One.

I was thinking around those same lines.

The sandwiched release date certainly isn't doing the game any favors, but I think the first game being an overhyped product did more damage to the name than everything else (e.g. New movement mechanics, platform exclusivity). I think at this point, it's fair to say that the $4.99 promotion period for Titanfall 1 was a last-ditch effort to create an online community and of course to also create a large slide-worthy sales number. I could be wrong, but I don't think the promotion worked. While there was definitely a community that formed around Titanfall 1 before and after the $4.99 price, I think the community was smaller than we were led to believe, and I don't think the community stuck around in the same way the community for a game like Destiny has stuck around.

I'm not sure how Respawn will proceed with the franchise. They're clearly a talented studio, but the market isn't showing a lot of interest in what they made. Based on these numbers, it's safe to say the UK isn't (and most likely won't be) a strong territory for the Titanfall IP. Perhaps the performance in NA will be better. Even then, I can only see the game doing over a million in sales via bundles, a pricing error, and heavy discounting -- all of which are not going to please EA.

The guy who decided on this games release schedule should be fired instantly.

A fucking dog on the street could have barked a better release date

FaintDeftone

They really should have released this in February instead. I'm a HUGE fan of the original Titanfall and even I didn't buy this because I was too busy playing Battlefield 1 and Gears 4. I won't pick it up until probably after the holidays now. I ended up just renting it and running through the campaign.

ironmang

Its enduring multiplayer popularity doesn't really have any bearing on how influential and acclaimed its movement & shooting mechanics may be.

There are plenty of shooters that introduced an idea that became used in popular games but nobody calls them revolutionary or probably even remembers them.

You can be influential without being revolutionary. Plenty of games have been influential.

The reasons are clear at least for me and now that Titanfall we can finally talk about this franchise freely without upsetting anyone here. The Titanfall hype was absurd and as the online community months after release proved, it was completely overhyped.

This.

And I'm surprised by how few people are mentioning this. It's the main reason I'm staying away from the game and having bought into the ZOMG AMAZING hype once, I'm not doing it again for Titanfall 2.

It's not as simple as that. They only got the marketing deal like two months ago, a point in time where they likely already had their marketing budget set up for the holiday and everything else. Titanfall came from nowhere, expecting a Titanfall 1-like marketing budget is bonkers given the situation.

However even if it was known well in advance... Why the hell would Microsoft give it a huge marketing push? Not only is it not exclusive, they literally have nothing to gain from it. Like at all. They are in it to sell consoles this holiday, why would they chose a Titanfall bundle over a Battlefield bundle? One game had no hype and left a bad taste in everyones mouth after the tech test with all the multiplayer changes they made. The other has huge amounts of hype and is gonna be the second best selling game this year by a landslide. When you have no real interest in helping either of those selling better, ofcourse you're gonna side with Battlefield as that's gonna move more consoles. Even then, Titanfalls marketing was a LOT better than what they are giving Battlefield so I don't know why you said "like they did with Battlefield 1".

The fact remains exclusivity generally gives you a bigger marketing campaign. No Man Sky, Uncharted, Halo, Gears, Titanfall, Forza, Sunset Overdrive, etc. You think any of them would have had as big of a marketing campaign if it was multiplatform? I seriously doubt it. The only multiplatform games that get huge pushes like Titanfall 1 are games like CoD and GTA, but they're two completely different beasts.

Saying that.... They should have had a Titanfall bundle replacing the FIFA one for the holiday. At the very least.

Sony hyped the shit out of Destiny as a multiplatform game and will do the same with the sequel so I don't buy this idea that a game has to be exclusive to be worthy of a major marketing push.

Sony hyped the shit out of Destiny as a multiplatform game and will do the same with the sequel so I don't buy this idea that a game has to be exclusive to be worthy of a major marketing push.

Well in fairness what else new were they going to hype? The order got delayed, leaving maybe driveclub but racers are rather niche now. After dumping cash for the rights to market Destiny it only makes sense they focused on the new one from Bungie.

This.

And I'm surprised by how few people are mentioning this. It's the main reason I'm staying away from the game and having bought into the ZOMG AMAZING hype once, I'm not doing it again for Titanfall 2.

Meh, gameplay had little to do with population decline, that was more about lack of content due to it being held back for season passes. When the expansions hit it really rounded out the game's content nicely but it was too late most had already experienced the starter content to death.

At least they seem to have learned from that mistake this time.

Chris1

One game..which Sony even said they were treating it as if it was first party.

Also to be honest, I'd put Destiny in the CoD/GTA crowd nowadays, hell Destiny 2 is probably gonna be even bigger than CoD.

Top Bottom