• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK:TF's first week sales on XB1 is more than the double amount TF2 sold on PS4&XB1

Also, the title hurts my brain a bit. Should have said:

"UK: Titanfall 2 first weekend sales total much less than half of TF1's Xbone week 1 sales"

I do not live in UK.

Okay? You questioned Sunday, and someone clarified that stores are open here on Sundays. I would wager it's the second busiest retail day after Saturday.

Bruno MB

jelly

Why is EA purposely killing off TF2? Putting it against another major EA FPS title is bad enough, but CoD too?

I think EA wanted to strangle COD. Battlefield 1 gets a massive crowd and some COD players, Titanfall picks off the COD crowd. Double hit. I don't think they saw Modern Warfare coming though.

RibMan

Wow. Did Battlefield 1 completely cannibalize the sales performance or did Titanfall 1 leave a sour aftertaste?

EA really didn't do Respawn and Titanfall 2 any favours with this release date, WTF were they thinking ?

You just don't release a shooter right after Battlefield and just before COD, its just sales suicide.

Hopefully sales pick up with the good reviews and word of mouth or the digital sales are better, because it certainly deserves to do better.

brawly

tumblr_o0zeurwtyS1tt3gfto1_500.gif

jelly

Also, you not what else, no bundle. Microsoft and EA went all in with Battlefield multiple times. FIFA took the rest.

They ballsed that up, FIFA codes everywhere.

Watch Dogs 2 will not fail. So many people seem to be thinking that, but I think there is no chance of this happening. The first game sold >10 million copies, and I would wager that WD2 will sell at least as much.

At least as much? Man, you'll lose that wager and then some.

I do think it'll sell just fine. Many people will want to see how it looks on PS4 Pro, too.

I think EA wanted to strangle COD. Battlefield 1 gets a massive crowd and some COD players, Titanfall picks off the COD crowd. Double hit. I don't think they saw Modern Warfare coming though.
They could have delayed the game at any time and pushed it back to december or even next year, silently finishing the gold version and working on slow-burn fixing and QA till the eventual release.

It's not like the AW Remaster has been announced last month and successful games have been delayed with hardly a months notice (e.g. XCOM 2).

EA and its suits only has to blame themselves for this. Rise of the Tomb Raider a year ago should have been one hell of a wake up call for videogame company suits (and it's not like we haven't had similar cases since then... or the Witcher 3 that showed it could sell 9 Millions in the middle of SUMMER, releasing all by itself and with decent marketing).

It might have great word of mouth and legs. Slow burner that gathers pace towards Christmas and beyond.
I am really, REALLY praying for this, because I really want to play the game but I'm a college student and my 2 month video game budget already went into BF1. But if EA drops the support as fast as I fear they will (unlike REALLY supporting the game, like Ubi did with R6: Siege), including NOT starting to advertize the heck out of it after the initial CoD hype is over, the game will die, even if it does so slower than TF1.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
EA you stupid cunts, fuck sake. Such a great game too, I really hope word of mouth helps it out over time at least.

LewieP

Pretty obvious this would be the case.

Launch game with big marketing push vs game practically stealth released between two other juggernauts in the genre.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It might have great word of mouth and legs. Slow burner that gathers pace towards Christmas and beyond.

BF hype is hard to beat but people get sick of it eventually and if performance is ropey in multiplayer, come to smooth 60fps TF2 land, a great campaign and free DLC.

Yeah I think this will be the case. Personally I'm really liking BF1, but its online is ropey both in terms of framerate and connection. I had a great time on FT1 and having seen the positive feedback on TF2, I'll almost definitely be picking that up as well.

It's a wider fuck up by EA though, launching TF1 on XB1 exclusive for console left a bad taste in some people's mouths and others simply will have never heard of it and therefore figured that it may be hard to jump into a sequel.

Peltz

Wow, kinda sad. This is one of the only FPS games on the market I'm even interested in trying. I guess I should pick it up to support the developers?

Bruno MB

Jesus christ.

So <31250? Unless that's counting the 360 sales too, but I assume not as it launched later?

In theory the Xbox 360 week one sales shouldn't be included, but even if they were Titanfall 2 would be below 40,000 units.

At least as much? Man, you'll lose that wager and then some.

I do think it'll sell just fine. Many people will want to see how it looks on PS4 Pro, too.

I mean, I'm happy to make an avatar bet, but unless Ubisoft release sales numbers we have no way of proving otherwise.

I genuinely think you guys expecting Watch Dogs 2 to flub are delusional though. Once Ubisoft's marketing is firing on all gears they are the best in the business, and the open world genre is probably bigger than it has ever been so this will do very well with the crowd who have burnt out on GTAV. Not to mention that the early previews suggest it is a steep improvement over the first game, and a lot of fun in its own right.

You've taken what you had, changed it to be something else and not done it very well. The new audience you're after have their games already, or are getting them soon, and aren't interested in your new version because most people who liked the original, aren't interested. Word spread, you tried to fix it but the faults are ingrained in design, not something a tweak can fix.

Instead of different, you're now an average clone. Welp.

EDIT

Why is everyone blaming EA? This is all Respawn! Wasn't that one interview of the guy talking about how "you should earn Titans" "they shouldn't be around so much" "the pilot v pilot combat is the best thing in Titanfall" with the games main designer, a Respawn guy?

Chris1

In theory the Xbox 360 week one sales shouldn't be included, but even if they were Titanfall 2 would be below 40,000 units.

Yeah I doubt they are included.

It's absolutely insane that a delayed 360 version of Titanfall 1 sold practically the exact same as Titanfall 2 on XB1 and PS4.. Holy shit. Hell, it might have even sold more..

It's a shame because from most accounts TF2 turned out great, or at least "fun" if you're oblivious or accepting of its changes from TF1. I didn't like the beta at all and canceled my CE preorder, but still fully intended to pick up a standard copy when it dropped to $40 ($32 GCU). But with this news it looks like the MP could end up with shorter legs than the prequel, so I'll probably be waiting for $20 or less at this point since I'll be buying it mainly for the SP campaign after the MP mostly dies off.

On a side-note, EA is such a cluster-fuck at times I'm amazed they can stay in business. Annual cash cows like Madden apparently more than make up for idiocy like this, but I wonder what they could do if they actually had competent management, treated their devs like human beings, and treated their customer with a modicum of respect instead of derision...

R aka Bon

Really not surprising.

If they'd released in the spring, then some of the BF and CoD players would've picked it up, but it's just getting crushed between two giants. Add in disappointment over the campaign from the first, and a lack of real push to correct that via marketing, and you've got a recipe for disaster. Hopefully after the good reviews the campaign is getting they can focus ads on that aspect, and market it as sufficiently different to the other FPSs to gain some traction.

The problem is, when a game starts tanking, people start waiting for it to hit a lower price.

who was not aware of TF2 having a campaign? i'm pretty sure this has been covered since the dawn of time.

And hopefully people will realize how good of a game it actually is, and more people will buy it, because honestly this game is GOTY material imo.

Hasney

who was not aware of TF2 not having a campaign? i'm pretty sure this has been covered since the dawn of time.

And hopefully people will realize how good of a game it actually is, and more people will buy it, because honestly this game is GOTY material imo.

Most people don't know there is a campaign. Hell, most people barely realize it exists as EA are flooding the market with BF1 adverts while not lifting a finger on Titanfall 2.

It doesn't matter if it's covered at trade shows if the average consumer isn't informed.

Kudo

Guess part of the reason is I haven't heard of the game outside these forums, how did they fail to create hype for it?
Everyone talked about the original game back when it came.

dealer-

Watch Dogs 2 will not fail. So many people seem to be thinking that, but I think there is no chance of this happening. The first game sold >10 million copies, and I would wager that WD2 will sell at least as much.

No way it will be as quick out the gate as Watch Dogs, I think it sold 4 million in a week worldwide and was the biggest new IP ever in the UK.

I think both WD2 and Dishonored 2 sales will be down compared to the first entries.

Hasney

Guess part of the reason is I haven't heard of the game outside these forums, how did they fail to create hype for it?

MS spent a lot of time and resources marketing the original. EA have barely done anything.

Bad release date for most. Personally I'm holding off buying any new games because of an upcoming move to Spain, but as I've heard good things about the SP campaign, i'll definitely pick it up at some point.

Also, the title hurts my brain a bit. Should have said:

"UK: Titanfall 2 first weekend sales total much less than half of TF1's Xbone week 1 sales"

Okay? You questioned Sunday, and someone clarified that stores are open here on Sundays. I would wager it's the second busiest retail day after Saturday.

In the UK it's definitely the second biggest retail day of the week.

Source: BBC documentary on retail over the years. Yes I'm a sad little Old man.

So much of that was free marketing from people playing at events, Beta, and everyone loved it. This game has had the opposite. Every bit the same amount of free marketing, but negative.

Yeah I doubt they are included.

It's absolutely insane that a delayed 360 version of Titanfall 1 sold practically the exact same as Titanfall 2 on XB1 and PS4.. Holy shit. Hell, it might have even sold more..

I guess that launch window, "Have you seen Titanfall" hype really helped the first game. Marketing for the sequel has been pretty flat by comparison.

In the UK it's definitely the second biggest retail day of the week.

Source: BBC documentary on retail over the years. Yes I'm a sad little Old man.

Thanks dude. Not surprised by that.

brawly

Because some people treated it as if it was an Xbox One exclusive.

"Have you seen Titanfall?", "Drop a Titan on it" etc.

Jumeira

Banned
Think it's misleading to solely blame release date. MS marketing went into overdrive and they done a good job of telling all that TF1 will change your life. I don't think I've seen anything quite like the marketing TF received since.

Top Bottom