• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK:TF's first week sales on XB1 is more than the double amount TF2 sold on PS4&XB1

FeD.nL

It's going to be a marathon for TiF2 at this point. The game has a positive buzz around it and now it's important that they expand and carry that over to the holiday season. I can imagine TiF2 being the game that's going to appear on christmas lists as the 'game-I-didn't-have-the-money-for'. With the Angel City remaster launching in december I can see the buzz continuing. Perhaps a release date for Frontier Defense 2.0 around that time would be a good way to generate attention as well.

And keep hammering on the fact that all modes/weapons/maps etc. is being added for free.

I mean, I'm happy to make an avatar bet, but unless Ubisoft release sales numbers we have no way of proving otherwise.

I genuinely think you guys expecting Watch Dogs 2 to flub are delusional though. Once Ubisoft's marketing is firing on all gears they are the best in the business, and the open world genre is probably bigger than it has ever been so this will do very well with the crowd who have burnt out on GTAV. Not to mention that the early previews suggest it is a steep improvement over the first game, and a lot of fun in its own right.

Don't make avatar bets, man, your avatar is nice :)

Watch Dogs hype was insane, and many were disappointed by it.

I can see Watch Dogs 3 doing 10+ million, but this one has a lot of goodwill to recover and not nearly as much hype surrounding it.

I think it'll do 5-6 million.

El-Suave

I don't want to get into the discussion on why it might have had to be done, but launching a new franchise or just a new entry in a series on just one of the two big consoles damages it needlessly. Add to that the poor release date and you have a recipe for disappointment.

GlamFM

Banned
Really sorry for Respawn, but the release date was wrong. Plain and simple.

Whoever made the call is to blame.

Hope this does not put Titanfall 3 or even Respawn in danger.

Hasney

It's going to be a marathon for TiF2 at this point. The game has a positive buzz around it and now it's important that they expand and carry that over to the holiday season. I can imagine TiF2 being the game that's going to appear on christmas lists as the 'game-I-didn't-have-the-money-for'. With the Angel City remaster launching in december I can see the buzz continuing. Perhaps a release date for Frontier Defense 2.0 around that time would be a good way to generate attention as well.

And keep hammering on the fact that all modes/weapons/maps etc. is being added for free.

They can hammer all they like, but who's going to listen? A few more hardcores who seek out this information while the public at large still receives no notification of it existing?

I don't want to get into the discussion on why it might have had to be done, but launching a new franchise or just a new entry in a series on just one of the two big consoles damages it needlessly.

I don't see how outside of a few fanboys. If there was any marketing done on this and released at another time, it surely would have done better.

Lucifon

This is based on 1 day of sale right? So pretty meaningless until we see next week's sales.

Game is frigging amazing though, can't sing its praises high enough. Super fun campaign, and multiplayer is some of the best fun I've had with a shooter online ever. Honestly having an absolute blast with it, which is even more surprising after how disappointed I was with the beta.

RocknRola

Wow, that's harsh :S Hope they still make enough revenue to not get into financial troubles, since by all accounts the game seems really solid and fun.

Hasney

This is based on 1 day of sale right? So pretty meaningless until we see next week's sales.

Game is frigging amazing though, can't sing its praises high enough. Super fun campaign, and multiplayer is some of the best fun I've had with a shooter online ever. Honestly having an absolute blast with it, which is even more surprising after how disappointed I was with the beta.

3 days and like all Friday releases, sales will be down next week, not up, barring a miracle.

Can't even remember the last game that had a week 2 rise in sales.

Thats what you get trying to fuck with COD.

Serves them right and it was Respawn's decision to launch at this time !

Are you sure about that? Why would they want to be sandwiched between BF1 and IW? Especially knowing that Sony would be backing IW hard and MS is backing BF1.

Utterly, utterly depressing. Despite what the "it's not like titanfall 1" crowd may say, the gameplay changes are all for the better IMO. The gameplay is just sublime and when you start getting a hang of the slide hopping the locomotion in this game is just unrivalled (save for old school shooters.

Still hard to expect people to shell out another $60 if they just bought Bf1 last week I guess.

panda-zebra

Nothing to see here, I asked leeh's friendship circle and they bought the game digitally 9:1, extrapolating that to the rest of the world and the game's doing gangbusters.

Seriously though, good work, EA... compounding bad decision on bad decision when it comes to this IP.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This game had to be mind blowing given the release date. Just an extremely poor decision to come out when they did.

It's blown my mind how good it is.

It's going to have a bad start in life, but I truly feel this could be a sleeper Xmas hit with the cult following it's already getting and the amazing reviews and tide of good will sweeping it's way.

It truly deserves it, the campaign is Valve level good and the multiplayer is some of the best I've played in a FPS, ever.

FeD.nL

They can hammer all they like, but who's going to listen? A few more hardcores who seek out this information while the public at large still receives no notification of it existing?

Well the major gaming outlets have been VERY positive. Like I said, release the Angel City remaster in december and that will probably generate some more interest with the major sites reporting its launch. And if you announce some more DLC plans (Frontier Defense for example) around that time you can be sure to get at the very least two News articles on the major sites. Which can be very helpful around christmas time.

Don't make avatar bets, man, your avatar is nice :)

Watch Dogs hype was insane, and many were disappointed by it.

I can see Watch Dogs 3 doing 10+ million, but this one has a lot of goodwill to recover and not nearly as much hype surrounding it.

I think it'll do 5-6 million.

That's fine. We're getting off topic so let's leave it there, but for the record I think it's likely to do double your suggestion. Once those good 8-9/10 scores come flooding in and Ubi's marketing kicks in Watch Dogs 2 will be everywhere.

Really sorry for Respawn, but the release date was wrong. Plain and simple.

Whoever made the call is to blame.

Hope this does not put Titanfall 3 or even Respawn in danger.

Even if Respawn are dropped by EA, I'm sure they'll have no problem with another publisher picking them up. They're obviously a fiercely talented studio and if they were able to release their games without compromise they would be big sellers. Obviously it's early days for TF2 yet, but so far both of their releases have been screwed to a certain extend due to publisher fuckery.

They should go with a different publisher for Titanfall 3, it is their IP right?

I doubt it's that easy. EA have funded the games, and probably have a contract for a trilogy, or at least first refusal on a certain number of sequels.

Detox

Respawn need to admit Titanfall can't hang with the big boys. They are used to making juggernauts but they don't have the backing for it. Add microtransactions, go f2p on steam and cake.

Chris1

If Titanfall 2 sales don't have long legs and it drops off like a rock, do people think EA will fund Titanfall 3 or will Respawn have to set up shop elsewhere?

UK charts end on Saturday.

Do they? Honestly never knew that. I always assumed Sunday.

amardilo

I can hardly remember seeing any marketing or adverts for Titanfall 2 over here in the UK. However I don't watch that much TV so there could have been a giant TV ad campaign I missed.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people over here didn't know it existed.

Could the lack of marketing be down to it no longer being a console exclusive? I remember seeing a lot of Titanfall stuff pre and post launch but that was mostly focused around the game and the Xbox One.

Maybe the game sold well digitally.

I'm super excited to play TF2 but not at full retail. Can't justify spending $80 before taxes on games anymore. Not with my giant backlog.

Given the single player is so solid, based on GAF impressions which is all I trust these days, I look forward to grabbing once it's south of $30. IF there is still a descent multiplayer base at that point then that's gravy. BUT I will buy for the campaign.

I'm going to guess that Infinite Warfare Legacy Edition will be the big thing on holiday present lists because of its price. For the COD fanbase, Titanfall is the thing that COD copied and is the reason COD is bad now.

GeeTeeCee

I can hardly remember seeing any marketing or adverts for Titanfall 2 over here in the UK. However I don't watch that much TV so there could have been a giant TV ad campaign I missed.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people over here didn't know it existed.

Could the lack of marketing be down to it no longer being a console exclusive? I remember seeing a lot of Titanfall stuff pre and post launch but that was mostly focused around the game and the Xbox One.

Maybe the game sold well digitally.

I've seen a grand total of one tv advert for it - and the advert isn't particularly good either. It definitely feels like it isn't receiving the same level of marketing this time around.

Jumeira

Banned
Yeah I think this will be the case. Personally I'm really liking BF1, but its online is ropey both in terms of framerate and connection. I had a great time on FT1 and having seen the positive feedback on TF2, I'll almost definitely be picking that up as well.

It's a wider fuck up by EA though, launching TF1 on XB1 exclusive for console left a bad taste in some people's mouths and others simply will have never heard of it and therefore figured that it may be hard to jump into a sequel.

These gamers are the worst kind of gamers and should not be pandered to. Besides, MS saved Titanfall and all parties were rewarded for exclusivity with strong sales. If gamers felt so burned by the initial exclusive decision, EA should've keep future titles exclusive. No point catering to a base of petulant gamers that will not buy your games, take the extra marketing dollars and resource to make it a success on one platform at least.

Lucifon

3 days and like all Friday releases, sales will be down next week, not up, barring a miracle.

Can't even remember the last game that had a week 2 rise in sales.

That's a travesty if true :( Game is so good, genuinely so good, and currently has a very consumer friendly approach to DLC in a world where DLC models are getting grosser and grosser.

The real killer was the poor beta, it turned off almost all of my friends from buying the game and focusing on Modern Warfare Remastered instead. I'm facing an uphill battle trying to convince them how much better it is from the beta.

Will rent from redbox for SP campaign. Definitely not buying with numbers like those for MP though.

MP numbers are fine...takes seconds to find a game. You don't need hundreds of thousands to have an active playerbase online.

I suppose EA didn't expect such a positive response with BF1, more likely they were unsure about the seeing and had Titanfall 2 as back up plan. Given how good BF1 is doing, they probably don't mind Titanfall 2 doing bad.

AHA-Lambda

Well done EA, basically everyone but you recognised this as a bad idea

post-50951-Futurama-Fry-Im-shocked-well-n-ekcd.gif

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Thats what you get trying to fuck with COD.

Serves them right and it was Respawn's decision to launch at this time !

WTF is this? A game that's fantastic in both MP and SP deserves to fail and such? You really love your CoD that much?? Seriously, some of the people allowed to post on GAF make my head scratch. It's like trolls that know how to type.

And regarding that release date, who told you that? I asked Respawn about it and here's what they said: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...elease-date-locked-long-time-ago-no-changing/

Yep, seems it's only a day, but even so, not boding well. Hope it has strong legs.

These gamers are the worst kind of gamers and should not be pandered to. Besides, MS saved Titanfall and all parties were rewarded for exclusivity with strong sales. If gamers felt so burned by the initial exclusive decision, EA should've keep future titles exclusive. No point catering to a base of petulant gamers that will not buy your games, take the extra marketing dollars and resource to make it a success on one platform at least.

Yep, I agree. I don't like console exclusivity as well, but idiots who won't buy a game (regardless of its quality) due to fanboyism or console bias? Yeah, they don\t do anyone any service.

Or EA could have funded it themselves instead of being cheap.

MaulerX

Could it be that EA Access starting to have an impact on sales?, I am fairly interested in the game, but not enough to warrant getting it full price, especially when it'll come to EAA in the future.

But this game didn't get the EA Access treatment. No early download to try the game etc... Not a good move in light of being sandwiched in between Imo.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The first game being a mediocre Xbone exclusive pretty much killed the chances for any sequels to succeed.

Why would PlayStation players care about a sequel to a game they never played? Why would Xbox gamers care about a sequel to a limp multiplayer-only game? If you want to start a franchise in this day and age, you need to make a high-quality first entry. It's not like the 360 era where gamers are so desperate for HD graphics that franchises like Assassin's Creed can spring from a shit debut game.

Top Bottom