• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't want to create a hype train, but someone PMed this tweet to me on GFAQs:
https://twitter.com/Ryota_Niitsuma/status/314392249934950401

Machine translation:

Maybe someone with Japanese language skills could clarify? I mean, it's pretty clear what that reads as, but I'd like to be sure.
Every other translation I try gives me something about him saying something about something being funny.

Google translate is usually the best, but still rarely accurate.

Dahbomb

Made a correction on my list.

ChrisG and Roachking have to play to qualify (ChrisG should win this).

Neo made it over MarlinPie in losers. Dieminion is still in and Yipes is unconfirmed, he's in losers still.

Edit: Yipes out, Kaneblueriver eliminated him. Justin Wong in losers by RayRay, RayRay in winners.

New more accurate bracket

Winners: RayRay, FChamp, Flocker, Dieminion
Losers: Neo, Moonz, ChrisG, Kaneblueriver/Justin Wong/Xian (one of these 3 will make the slot)

Dahbomb

LOL @ your Niitsuma tweet post in FR16's thread, Dahbomb.
Was trying to sidetrack the shitstorm of an argument.

Sucks that Top 32 action wasn't streamed but it is what it is. If people want to see Marvel matches that badly they should go to more tournaments. At least we will get to see all of top 8.

Was trying to sidetrack the shitstorm of an argument.

Sucks that Top 32 action wasn't streamed but it is what it is. If people want to see Marvel matches that badly they should go to more tournaments. At least we will get to see all of top 8.
Easier said than done. Flying to Georgia + expenses is not cheap. Streams are popular partially because they're cheap to enjoy.

Yeah it's a luxury, so people shouldn't get too upset over missing out on some action.
I'm honestly not upset about it at all, I just don't like how the FR16 thread is filled with a bunch of schadenfreude wieners happy that Marvel is getting screwed over. There was barely even a note of "yay TTT2", people were too busy being happy that Marvel wasn't getting streamed because they're so salty about no one caring about their crappy game.

Dahbomb

I'm honestly not upset about it at all, I just don't like how the FR16 thread is filled with a bunch of schadenfreude wieners happy that Marvel is getting screwed over. There was barely even a note of "yay TTT2", people were too busy being happy that Marvel wasn't getting streamed because they're so salty about no one caring about their crappy game.
Yea this is what got to me as well.

It's cool to hate on the popular game. Tekken fans have been a bit insufferable lately and this is coming from a long time Tekken fan.

It's cool to hate on the popular game. Tekken fans have been a bit insufferable lately and this is coming from a long time Tekken fan.
I do wish the FR16 organizers would have told us that they plan on cutting out before top 32 earlier in the day, though. I wouldn't have watched what I did if I had known. I wanted to lead up to the big stuff with the small stuff. It's fun to track the play history. Now it's all kind of "meh" to me because I missed the good stuff I wanted to work up to.

Dahbomb

Magneto "back" in the Marvel meta game after him being absent at WB. Surprisingly only 1 Wolverine made it in top 8.

Character spread:

Magneto 4
Doom 3
Morrigan 2
Vergil 2
Zero
Wolverine
Hawkeye
Taskmaster
Nova
Amaterasu
Dormammu
Phoenix
Storm
Akuma
Joe
Strange
Ryu
Sentinel

Magneto "back" in the Marvel meta game after him being absent at WB. Surprisingly only 1 Wolverine made it in top 8.

Character spread:

Magneto 4
Doom 3
Morrigan 2
Vergil 2
Zero
Wolverine
Hawkeye
Taskmaster
Nova
Amaterasu
Dormammu
Phoenix
Storm
Akuma
Joe
Strange
Ryu
Sentinel
We were soooo close to having a Hulk in there. That had me hyped. A Hulk in top 8!

Just imagine if Dieminion put a competent team together.

Dahbomb

If Nitsuma is teasing a UMVC3 patch I swear to god you guys will see Terminator mode Dahbomb. Terminator mode Dahbomb has been perma banned before on other forums....

Zissou

こんなんあんのね。 #UMVC3川柳 面白いけどなんか色々スミマセン。

The first bit "こんなんあんのね。" I'm not really sure about- could mean 'there's this and that' or 'there are difficulties' but the rest is pretty easy. The hashtag means 'comical haiku' and the rest of the message is the haiku in question (it fits the 5-7-5 syllable structure, anyway). The remainder of the message means "It's interesting but sorry for various things." I'd interpret that to mean that the way marvel plays currently is interesting, but not ultimately how he envisioned with certain things making it worse than it ought to be, for which he apologizes.

The first bit "こんなんあんのね。" I'm not really sure about- could mean 'there's this and that' or 'there are difficulties' but the rest is pretty easy. The hashtag means 'comical haiku' and the rest of the message is the haiku in question (it fits the 5-7-5 syllable structure, anyway). The remainder of the message means "It's interesting but sorry for various things." I'd interpret that to mean that the way marvel plays currently is interesting, but not ultimately how he envisioned with certain things making it worse than it ought to be, for which he apologizes.
Oh wow, so nothing about something else interesting in the works? I thought it was a hint toward CAS.

If Nitsuma is teasing a UMVC3 patch I swear to god you guys will see Terminator mode Dahbomb. Terminator mode Dahbomb has been perma banned before on other forums....
What does Terminator mode Dahbomb...do?

Zissou

Oh wow, so nothing about something else interesting in the works? I thought it was a hint toward CAS.

Doesn't look like it, unfortunately :(

Was there anything definite/concrete that pointed to CAS actually being a real thing? I feel like a lot of rumors get started because a few crazy marvel minions stare at Nitsuma tweets long enough they see what the want to see, like seeing the man in the moon or a Jesus face in a piece of toast.

Pop off a lot, go ham, lots of expletives, ToS not given a shit about.
Sounds like something I want to see! Who would you pop off at, though? You're the one who keeps saying it's not happening!

Doesn't look like it, unfortunately :(

Was there anything definite/concrete that pointed to CAS actually being a real thing? I feel like a lot of rumors get started because a few crazy marvel minions stare at Nitsuma tweets long enough they see what the want to see, like seeing the man in the moon or a Jesus face in a piece of toast.
No concrete evidence at all, except that Capcom registered a "Fighters of Capcom" trademark some 6 months ago. That, and Sven saying that he has pitched an "All Capcom fighter" several times on the Unity boards, has done a little magic.

Check these Shuma-Gorath assist combos out:

Dormammu (Corner):
j.S, c.LHS, sj.MMHS, call Mystic Ray, Dark Spell L, Dark Spell L, s.S, sj.MMHS, Dark Spell L, 3D0C, Dark Matter, Dark Matter, Dark Hole, Chaotic Flame

Morrigan (Corner):
j.S, s.LMHS, j.H, qcf.M, Fly, ADD, j.H, qcf.M, Unfly, j.MMHS, call Mystic Ray, Astral Vision, Soul Drain, Fly, dp.H

Morrigan (Midscreen):
j.S, s.LMHS, j.H, qcf.M, Fly, ADD, j.H, qcf.M, Unfly, j.MMHS, call Mystic Ray, Astral Vision, Soul Drain

Sexy yah? Now Morrigan can combo into a self-sustained Astral Vision with either of my characters. If I keep this team for more than a week!

Honestly at this point he's on par with Ono as a troll to me. I just ignore him.

Edit: @karst

Swapping out phoenix for shuma ?
Swapping her out for someone, at least. Too many TAC glitches killing poor Phoenix.

Edit: GGs sssolace. I'm curious about your thoughts on the team. It's weird learning how to use an assist again.

Sayah

This is a completely inaccurate analysis of what went on in that thread. lol

I don't recall any Tekken fan being happy that Marvel wasn't getting streamed. Stop pointing fingers. You only got the responses and reactions you did because certain people were crying, trolling or hating over a game getting the stream time, attention and love that it deserves.

And most of the commentating for the Tekken stream from members here was going on in Kadey's stream, not the FR thread. We were more involved in the stream and matches and no one was hating on marvel. It's very vain to assume tekken fans would be jealous of marvel's higher viewer count/stream popularity. Tekken has already established itself as one of the most popular fighting franchises in the world. No one needs to prove anything.

Moving on, stop hating, stop assuming, stop the bs drama and don't speak of this anymore. I love both Marvel and Tekken and am happy to see both games prosper.

Azure J

Things that happened to my mentality on Marvel:

- Morrigan is solidified as a top 10 member and pushing into top 5 material fully assisted/in theory mode (theory becoming actuallity thanks to Chris G)

- Zero is seeing enough blemishes on his spot as top character (imo) because he really can't cut it in current meta (defined as Morrigan/Doom) without Jam Session or making risks that have low payoffs

- Moons will be the first person to resoundingly defeat Morrigan/Doom

- EVERYONE from this point forward needs a Doom, Dante or Strider because EVERYONE NEEDS A FUCKING ANTI AIR. Morrigan is running around without even needing to think/make judgements because no one's covering their skies. The left-right is dead in this matchup.

- Everyone needs to design teams for competitive play with the assumption that their fastest or longest ranged normal will not hit Doom Missiles, Morrigan is in Astral, and the anchor is a nutty dark variant and they have to react to all of it.

This is a completely inaccurate analysis of what went on in that thread. lol

I don't recall any Tekken fan being happy that Marvel wasn't getting streamed. Stop pointing fingers. You only got the responses and reactions you did because certain people were crying, trolling or hating over a game getting the stream time, attention and love that it deserves.

And most of the commentating for the Tekken stream from members here was going on in Kadey's stream, not the FR thread. We were more involved in the stream and matches and no one was hating on marvel. It's very vain to assume tekken fans would be jealous of marvel's higher viewer count/stream popularity. Tekken has already established itself as one of the most popular fighting franchises in the world. No one needs to prove anything.

Moving on, stop hating, stop assuming, stop the bs drama and don't speak of this anymore. I love both Marvel and Tekken and am happy to see both games prosper.
I'm enjoying the Marvel players crying. :lol
Never grow up.
Close enough. You were the one that made me post, because your attitude, and your joy at the suffering of others who were looking forward to enjoying viewing their favorite game, pisses me off. So you move on, and watch your mouth next time if you don't want to start shit.

Zissou

- Morrigan is solidified as a top 10 member and pushing into top 5 material fully assisted/in theory mode (theory becoming actuallity thanks to Chris G)

ChrisG/Morrigan dominance has been reality ever since shortly after Evo, no?

- EVERYONE from this point forward needs a Doom, Dante or Strider because EVERYONE NEEDS A FUCKING ANTI AIR. Morrigan is running around without even needing to think/make judgements because no one's covering their skies. The left-right is dead in this matchup.

This made my lol as a Doom/Dante/Strider player. Skies protected.

Sayah

Close enough. You were the one that made me post, because your attitude, and your joy at the suffering of others who were looking forward to enjoying viewing their favorite game, pisses me off. So you move on, and watch your mouth next time if you don't want to start shit.

Maybe you should have read my follow up post to that in response to dahbomb.

I was only joking and humoring the fact that people were crying over something like this. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously or to be offensive.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52111161&postcount=4066

Dahbomb

Yea posts like those rubbed people the wrong way. I am not saying there weren't minions bitching about the matches either but the response from the Tekken and other games' side wasn't exactly mature either.

Zero only gets beat by MorriDoom like EVERY character in the game. The solution is to just put her in front of Morrigan. Best character confirmed.

Maybe you should have read my follow up post to that in response to dahbomb.

I was only joking and humoring the fact that people were crying over something like this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52111161&postcount=4066
It's a fast thread - don't expect anyone to follow a conversation. If you're joking, say so in your post. I'm not psychic, and I doubt you were entirely joking in that post.

Morrigan/Vergil/Doom is top 10, not Morrigan! :p

- Zero is seeing enough blemishes on his spot as top character (imo) because he really can't cut it in current meta (defined as Morrigan/Doom) without Jam Session or making risks that have low payoffs
Eh, if Flocker replaced Vergil with an anti-air I think he might have done better. It was Zero vs. Morrigan/Doom in those matches.

- Moons will be the first person to resoundingly defeat Morrigan/Doom
He got stomped the hardest. Er, well FChamp did, but that's a special case...

Damn straight.

Azure J

ChrisG/Morrigan dominance has been reality ever since shortly after Evo, no?

I wanted to give everyone some time since "Marvel™", but at this point, it's batshit to argue otherwise.

This made my lol as a Doom/Dante/Strider player. Skies protected.

Haha, and I'm determined to develop a Theory Viper/Theory Dante/Theory Strider team. Let's meet up at EVO 2014 and take everyone's rent money. :lol

Frantic

Still say Dante/Strider is the best bet against MorriDoom without getting into the 'YOLO' territory, or the 'one-chance'(ie, SoV XF and the like) sort of stuff. Jam Session + Vajra is a really good option to have, since it'll anti-air her, clear out fireballs and missiles, and nets you a combo on her.

That's just me, though.

Dahbomb

Basically everyone needs Hidden Missiles....

Oh wait.

Nova/Dante/Strider... New meta game team against Morrigan. Or MODOK/Hawkeye instead of Nova.

Basically everyone needs Hidden Missiles....

Oh wait.

Nova/Dante/Strider... New meta game team against Morrigan. Or MODOK/Hawkeye instead of Nova.
Yeah, except most teams can't make good use of Hidden Missles. I've been thinking about picking it up. :-( I mean with Morrigan and Dormammu, it's hard not to feel some burn from not using it. Though I'm tempted to play Firebrand/Dormammu/Doom instead.

Everyone needs to run Jam Session/Vajira/HM. Depends on the character.

Also Chris G is dominant due to the laziness of other players or them being stubborn.

I say keep the holy lockdown coming from the dark mistress.

Might wake there sleeping asses up.

Azure J

Still say Dante/Strider is the best bet against MorriDoom without getting into the 'YOLO' territory, or the 'one-chance'(ie, SoV XF and the like) sort of stuff. Jam Session + Vajra is a really good option to have, since it'll anti-air her, clear out fireballs and missiles, and nets you a combo on her.

That's just me, though.

No need for the disclaimer anymore man, clearly we need to start educating the masses. I mean, Dante has a two input method of hassling Morrigan and clearing the field on point with Strider assist in tow with Assist (Vajra) + DP+L (Twister). (And to a lesser extent, Jam Session + Vajra) If you can't be creative enough to do something with a win button like that, this game isn't for you.

Edit: I came around SO FAST on the idea of Nova/Dante/Strider just because of Moons. One of the biggest reasons why I feel like he'll break through is because he definitely showed aptitude with picking something different to deal with it and he got so damn close but crumbled after that first round fumble.

Dahbomb

What do all the Phoenix players have to say about her blocking MorriDoom for 15 Marvel seconds and wasting her XF3?

I mean that's just fucked up. And people say Vergil/Strider own her hard, we really should put Morrigan on top 3 anti-Phoenix characters.

Azure J

What do all the Phoenix players have to say about her blocking MorriDoom for 15 Marvel seconds and wasting her XF3?

I mean that's just fucked up. And people say Vergil/Strider own her hard, we really should put Morrigan on top 3 anti-Phoenix characters.

I'm absolutely not surprised because Sixfortyfive and I both knew what was good from Vanilla footage. At the same time, seeing it in motion was almost tragic. It was like you were witnessing the death of a deity. :lol

Sayah

It's a fast thread - don't expect anyone to follow a conversation. If you're joking, say so in your post. I'm not psychic, and I doubt you were entirely joking in that post.

I'll apologize in advance if anyone found my post offensive. I was joking about finding amusement from certain marvel players crying. I followed it with an ":lol" for that reason. I was not joking about those certain people needing to grow up.

And I just noticed that the two comments I replied to above are old. I thought they were recent.

Anywho, what's done is done. I'm usually not very active outside of the Tekken community on this site anyway and this may have been the first time in a long time I got involved in something like this. Don't want to be a part of something like this again so I'll try to refrain from posting in tourney threads.

Also, you and dahbomb both have been very helpful in getting me to understand and appreciate marvel better so I'll be thankful for that. There were misunderstandings but no hate for you guys. :)

I've always said that Morrigan is the best anti-Phoenix pick, though. Look at all the kills she has:

1) j.S, s.L, s.M, f.M, Soul Drain, Shadow Servant, XFC
2) j.S, s.LMHS, sj.MMH, dp.M, XFC, Soul Drain
3) j.S, s.LMHS, sj.MMHS, Soul Drain, Shadow Servant, XFC
4) TAC to Morrigan, Morrigan TAC up, ADF, Morrigan TAC left/right
5) j.S, s.LMHS, sj.H, qcf.H, Fly, TAC up, ADF, TAC left/right
6) TAC to Morrigan up/down, ADD, Soul Drain, fly, ADD, j.S, Soul Drain, Shadow Servant, XFC

If you play Phoenix, you HOPE that you die by Morrigan chipping you out.

I'll apologize in advance if anyone found my post offensive. I was joking about finding amusement from certain marvel players crying. I followed it with an ":lol" for that reason. I was not joking about those certain people needing to grow up.

And I just noticed that the two comments I replied to above are old. I thought they were recent.

Anywho, what's done is done. I'm usually not very active outside of the Tekken community on this site anyway and this may have been the first time in a long time I got involved in something like this. Don't want to be a part of something like this again so I'll try to refrain from posting in tourney threads.

Also, you and dahbomb both have been very helpful in getting me to understand and appreciate marvel better so I'll be thankful for that. There were misunderstandings but no hate for you guys. :)
No worries. I don't hold internet grudges. It's just not worth my energy. The most I ever do is remind myself to not interact with someone if they are consistently a dumbass. I like you, which is why I found your post particularly grating. Read from my perspective, the ":lol" was a reiteration of your laughter at those people. Like I said though, no harm done, and no hard feelings retained.

Zissou

Point Morrigan backed by missiles might be the best anti-Phoenix character. I mean, Strider and Vergil can fight her (with meter and x-factor usage of their own), but Morrigan can TAC glitch without x-factor or use soul drains to keep her from ever going dark, and if she goes dark, it doesn't even matter as long as Morrigan isn't caught be the transformation explosion since a single unblocked soul fist volley will wreck her- blocking all day. You can deliberately die from chip as Phoenix with five bars to guarantee the transformation, but the Morrigan player can do soul drain combos on your first two characters to keep you from ever getting to that point.

Dahbomb

I'm absolutely not surprised because Sixfortyfive and I both knew what was good from Vanilla footage. At the same time, seeing it in motion was almost tragic. It was like you were witnessing the death of a deity. :lol
It's one thing for a normal character to go through that but to see Dark Phoenix block for that long defies her existence. That is where I have realized that this is just too much now...

I am now firmly back on the delete missiles camp. I am also not going to watch/play any more Marvel matches unless I hear of a patch or some news until EVO (can't skip EVO). Seriously considering picking up TTT2 down the line or sticking with Dota 2.

Zissou

If they ever were to patch marvel (lol), I'd hope they take aim at one-player-game type stuff and get rid of it. Most of the things I dislike about Marvel fall into that camp (missiles, Zero, TAC infinites).

Azure J

*Insert deletion of missiles counterargument here*
*Insert "Find a way to have Missiles retain their value while detracting from their dumber effects on team building, matches in progress, and matches in general" reasoning here*
*Insert Professor Beef snickering "lolminions"*
*Insert long period of little posting*
*Insert next major, where the cycle starts again*

Enzo, why haven't you patched our Marvel Cycle image to Ver. 2013 yet? :p

It's one thing for a normal character to go through that but to see Dark Phoenix block for that long defies her existence. That is where I have realized that this is just too much now...

I am now firmly back on the delete missiles camp.
I need to see that again, because I'm doubtful that Neo handled the situation properly. There should have been some room for a TK Overdrive H to plow out of there.

Also, people really need to sit down and think about how they're handling Morrigan. It pisses me off when people sit and block Soul Fists 1/3 of a screen away without pushblocking Morrigan. Morrigan is not like other keepaway characters. You need to pushblock that shit unless you're full screen. You're not going to open her up once that first Soul Fist hits you - you're done, reset the screen position and try again. Morrigan has endless frame advantage blockstrings once the first Soul Fist hits unless you pushblock.

If they ever were to patch marvel (lol), I'd hope they take aim at one-player-game type stuff and get rid of it. Most of the things I dislike about Marvel fall into that camp (missiles, Zero, TAC infinites).
Add Vergil to that list and I'm on board.

*Insert deletion of missiles counterargument here*
*Insert "Find a way to have Missiles retain their value while detracting from their dumber effects on team building, matches in progress, and matches in general" reasoning here*
*Insert Professor Beef snickering "lolminions"*
*Insert long period of little posting*
*Insert next major, where the cycle starts again*

Enzo, why haven't you patched our Marvel Cycle image to Ver. 2013 yet? :p
We should add a bunch of personal ones like the Beef asterisk.

*Insert Karst switches teams again.

I am firmly in this camp as well and I have already called for a nerf on Viper's unblockable. Also any combos that are too long like SS loops or Zero combos.

By the way.... how fucking scummy is it to mash on Hidden Missiles during an air reset situation and then get out of it scotch free?

Oh and Karst I was talking about the last Champ vs ChrisG match.
Ah, gotcha. That one was legit.

Top Bottom