• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Frantic

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";51894861]Sometimes you've just gotta guess.[/QUOTE]You also sometimes have to just assert your will on your opponent at the start of the round. Don't be the one guessing, make the other person guess.

Of course, I have a hard time coming up with potential options with Dormammu at the start of the round. He doesn't really had much in the way of forcing the other person to guess. He's probably one of the worst start of the round characters I can think of. >_>

I like playing Hawkeye/Vergil a lot, I don't know any other pairing that has super long range combos like that. Can't decide on an anchor, though. Can't play Strider. I guess I could do magneto. Thinking about Morrigan but I dunno if that'll work out.

Sayah

Practiced combos with Dr. Strange today. I'm curious why people use qcb+m, qcb+m, qcb+h after stunning the opponent with f+h. Doing qcf+m then qcf+h and then doing the air followup does more damage, no?

I'll play a bit today if anyone's around. Post in the thread.

You also sometimes have to just assert your will on your opponent at the start of the round. Don't be the one guessing, make the other person guess.

Of course, I have a hard time coming up with potential options with Dormammu at the start of the round. He doesn't really had much in the way of forcing the other person to guess. He's probably one of the worst start of the round characters I can think of. >_>
I actually think he might be the worst - I'd be curious to see an argument for a worse start of the round character than Dormammu.

He has two good tools going for him:
s.S - massive hitbox, call with an assist to establish control; only works on characters that aren't super fast.

b.H - throw option select and has a good anti-air property for characters who are going for an air throw

Do people still complain about Pheonix in a game where Virgil and Doom exist?
Very, very rarely. I actually get a lot of respect for my Phoenix play these days.

Practiced combos with Dr. Strange today. I'm curious why people use qcb+m, qcb+m, qcb+h after stunning the opponent with f+h. Doing qcf+m then qcf+h and then doing the air followup does more damage, no?
I imagine qcf.M, qcf.H causes far more damage decay.

Frantic

I actually think he might be the worst - I'd be curious to see an argument for a worse start of the round character than Dormammu.
Honestly, the only argument I can think of is like, Hsien-Ko, and that's more because she sucks as a character more than because she lacks options.

I'm sure someone on GameFAQs would say Dante.

posted this in the final round thread and wanted to ask here too:

What does Thor get out of having She-hulk behind him? Good unblockable setups or anything?

LOL I played a guy last night in person that seriously plays this game but doesn't like to use assists.

0_0

They are good but too hard to incorporate into combo's and focus on during the game. It's easier to just focus on the point character. WTF are there people out there that actually play like this. The sad thing is that he wasn't total shit either. He was doing Akuma resets and Cap combo's. But assists are to complicated to put into his game. Truly fascinating.

LOL I played a guy last night in person that seriously plays this game but doesn't like to use assists.

0_0

They are good but too hard to incorporate into combo's and focus on during the game. It's easier to just focus on the point character. WTF are there people out there that actually play like this. The sad thing is that he wasn't total shit either. He was doing Akuma resets and Cap combo's. But assists are to complicated to put into his game. Truly fascinating.
Why do you think I don't use Morrigan/Doom? I can't handle playing her and calling the assist safely constantly.

I don't blame people who play like that. As long as they understand they're holding themselves back.

Edit: For you, Slasher:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7ADvdh6aZU&feature=youtu.be

Edit2: Majors always bring out all the stream monsters in the threads. I need to learn to stop arguing about Marvel with people who don't know anything about it. This is my testament that I want to fight this addiction.

Why do you think I don't use Morrigan/Doom? I can't handle playing her and calling the assist safely constantly.

I don't blame people who play like that. As long as they understand they're holding themselves back.

I'm talking zero assist calls no matter the situation. He did say it was holding him back but he was okay with it.

And you don't play Doom cause you hate his play style. Don't give me this assist reason. :)

Thanks for this Karst. It's not really new tech, but it's nice to see more exposure. I find plinking nearly impossible on pad though. It's far easier on stick.

Edit2: Majors always bring out all the stream monsters in the threads. I need to learn to stop arguing about Marvel with people who don't know anything about it. This is my testament that I want to fight this addiction.

Yea didn't you know everybody is an expert on every matchup. Please don't try to argue my logic, I play this game a lot and know a thing or two about the mechanics and it's meta game. Obviously your statements about a piticular move data is wrong because it doesn't work or happen against me. Why don't you watch insert pro more often before you say such a thing.

I'm talking zero assist calls no matter the situation. He did say it was holding him back but he was okay with it.

And you don't play Doom cause you hate his play style. Don't give me this assist reason. :)
After discovering his j.H and learning his movement, I hate him much, much less. I actually have a side team with Doom on it that I want to test out to see if I could actually come to like playing him. And it has always been as much about hating how Hidden Missiles affects the game's flow as anything else. I don't hate using Doom on my Ghost Rider team. I don't like him, either, but he's like...around Ghost Rider levels of enjoyment.

Thanks for this Karst. It's not really new tech, but it's nice to see more exposure. I find plinking nearly impossible on pad though. It's far easier on stick.
Get a stick! I know the plink isn't new tech, but I figured the combos and applications are new. Am I right on that?

Yea didn't you know everybody is an expert on every matchup. Please don't try to argue my logic, I play this game a lot and know a thing or two about the mechanics and it's meta game. Obviously your statements about a piticular move data is wrong because it doesn't work or happen against me. Why don't you watch insert pro more often before you say such a thing.
Totally. :p

He has arguably worse normals/movement/options than Dorm though...how does that work?
Dr. Strange actually has better normals because they're faster. All his his normals are about 2 frames faster than Dormammu's equivalent, and his f.H option select is 6 frames on startup and crumples. Strange has arguably better normals than Dormammu, he just doesn't have the mobility to utilize them in the neutral, which makes it seem like Dormammu has better normals.

Get a stick!

Man I wish it were so easy. I've tried using a stick but it's not for me. I can barely play side scrollers with them. I remember a time where I literally practiced for a couple of hours during Street Fighter 4 launch days on a stick one night. Then I tried to do a shoruken with Ken. Out of 50 attempts I only managed to get like 6 of them to come out. Pad just "feels" right to me.

I know the plink isn't new tech, but I figured the combos and applications are new. Am I right on that?

Some are I guess.

Man I wish it were so easy. I've tried using a stick but it's not for me. I can barely play side scrollers with them. I remember a time where I literally practiced for a couple of hours during Street Fighter 4 launch days on a stick one night. Then I tried to do a shoruken with Ken. Out of 50 attempts I only managed to get like 6 of them to come out. Pad just "feels" right to me.
I dig. To each his own. For me, stick was like coming out of a fighting game coma. I could just do so much more even after only 3 months of practice.

Some are I guess.
I thought it would be more informative than it was - my apologies.

Dahbomb

Dr. Strange actually has better normals because they're faster. All his his normals are about 2 frames faster than Dormammu's equivalent, and his f.H option select is 6 frames on startup and crumples. Strange has arguably better normals than Dormammu, he just doesn't have the mobility to utilize them in the neutral, which makes it seem like Dormammu has better normals.
A similar conundrum falls between Iron Man and Magneto. IM has at least as fast normals (some faster) as Magneto but way longer ranges. The difference in mobility makes Magneto's normals more oppressive.

Anyone want to play for a bit?

Edit: GGs Soused. Getting tired of your usual team?

A similar conundrum falls between Iron Man and Magneto. IM has at least as fast normals (some faster) as Magneto but way longer ranges. The difference in mobility makes Magneto's normals more oppressive.
Funny that people also think Iron Man and Dr. Strange are bad.

GGs Rokin. I felt so hopeless against your Nova and I usually don't feel that way about him, so congrats. We were neck and neck for like the first ten matches but after that you trounced me.

RoKiN

Neo Member
GGs Rokin. I felt so hopeless against your Nova and I usually don't feel that way about him, so congrats. We were neck and neck for like the first ten matches but after that you trounced me.
Thanks!
GGs Slasher!, I still have trouble with Maya shield / Hulk assist. Great Games as always bro! You had a few awesome Wright comebacks!!!

GGs Spyhunterzero. I hope you aren't offended that I used alt teams against you. The connection was just so bad, and I didn't want to keep suffering with my normal characters.

GGs Yeah for some reason I've been having trouble with my connection. It got better towards the end of the games but not sure what's making my connection so bad. It's like it's good some days, the crappy on others. Also sorry for just leaving, I thought my mic was unmuted when I said last game

GGs Yeah for some reason I've been having trouble with my connection. It got better towards the end of the games but not sure what's making my connection so bad. It's like it's good some days, the crappy on others. Also sorry for just leaving, I thought my mic was unmuted when I said last game
I have all mics muted, so no worries.

So like should I play Thor again or what
Sure, why not?

Dartastic

I should probably learn Magneto, but my execution isn't that good. I should just get better execution for real. Ugh. Oh well. I also wanna rock Spidey sooo baddddd. Why are my favorite characters almost always mid or low tier? =(

I should probably learn Magneto, but my execution isn't that good. I should just get better execution for real. Ugh. Oh well. I also wanna rock Spidey sooo baddddd. Why are my favorite characters almost always mid or low tier? =(
Spider-man isn't mid or low tier, you are.

Dartastic

Spider-man isn't mid or low tier, you are.
I know I need to level up my game, but there's no way Spidey is high tier.

22_jwongtierumvc3.jpg

20_champtier01.jpg

...I could post more lists, but Spidey is definitely mid tier.

Dartastic

Are those single-character tier lists I see? Hahahaha.
Uh, yes, because I'm talking about a single character here. You can in theory make almost any character at least mid tier with a decent team behind them.

As it stands, Spidey isn't that good unless he's played at point. He has crummy assists, not many good DHC options, and relies on assists. He needs combo extenders, and doesn't have great ways of opening people up by himself. His mobility is good, but it's not on the same level as Magneto, Doom, etc. Those things alone make him definitely not top tier. I'm assuming that's what you think he is? Top?

Uh, yes, because I'm talking about a single character here. You can in theory make almost any character at least mid tier with a decent team behind them.
You mean like Morrigan, who is a poor character when played alone?

As it stands, Spidey isn't that good unless he's played at point. He has crummy assists, not many good DHC options, and relies on assists. He needs combo extenders, and doesn't have great ways of opening people up by himself. His mobility is good, but it's not on the same level as Magneto, Doom, etc.
You mean like Wolverine?

This is a team game. You judge characters within the context of a team. An attempt to do anything else is foolhardy. If you think Spider-man is a mediocre or worse character, I suggest you play against Killa Sasa on here so he can change your mind. He's just not a popular character, like many good characters in this game.

Dartastic

You mean like Morrigan, who is a poor character when played alone?

You mean like Wolverine?

This is a team game. You judge characters within the context of a team. An attempt to do anything else is foolhardy. If you think Spider-man is a mediocre or worse character, I suggest you play against Killa Sasa on here so he can change your mind. He's just not a popular character, like many good characters in this game.
You're still not saying why you think he's top tier. I get that this is a team game, but in the context of a team you can make almost anyone at least decent. You need to also consider what happens if the rest of the team gets bopped. Besides, Morrigan and Wolverine are both NOT crappy by themselves. Wolverine's mixups + damage and Morrigan's lockdown are both enough to not make them crappy by themselves.

You're still not saying why you think he's top tier. I get that this is a team game, but in the context of a team you can make almost anyone at least decent. You need to also consider what happens if the rest of the team gets bopped. Besides, Morrigan and Wolverine are both NOT crappy by themselves. Wolverine's mixups + damage and Morrigan's lockdown are both enough to not make them crappy by themselves.
I didn't say he's top tier, I said it's stupid to judge characters outside of a team context.

Morrigan has no solo lockdown, she needs Hidden Missiles.

Wolverine has no real mix-ups solo - you're never going to connect a Berserker Slash without an assist to help you out. Spider-man does big damage if you learn his combos. Some characters require a lot more work to win with than others, but that doesn't make them worse. Morrigan is a clear example of such.

Spider-man is like a Spencer who is quick on his feat. If you think Spencer is good (and he is), then Spider-man is good as well. There aren't any top Spider-man players except for Mamespider, but that shouldn't faze anyone. After all, if FChamp and ChrisG didn't exist, no one would think Dormammu or Morrigan were top characters, either.

Dartastic

I know you aren't saying he is top tier, but you certainly are strongly implying he is by scoffing at the fact that he is mid/low tier. I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree about Spidey.

Anyway. I'm thinking that Spidey/Doom/Strange might be fun. Doom Missiles for combo assist stuff, Strange beam for the approach. Might be able to use it in Spidey combos also.

Dahbomb

Mid/Low tier does not mean he is Top tier. It means he is High tier... which is around where Spider Man belongs although on the lower end of that. Deadpool is the same, a bit higher than Spider Man because he has so many match ups on lock down and beat a lot of top tiers straight up. FChamp always underrates characters he has low experience/knowledge on and then moves them up when he loses a tournament match against them. Justin Wong's placing of Spidey is about right (Nova way too low) but DP is too low.

There's a guy who comes on NLBC occasionally and runs a team of Spider Man/Magneto/Dante. It's one of the cheapest teams out there. Random hit of Spider Man into TAC Magneto infinite, Hyper Grav meaty into UWT unblockable set up on incoming, X factor kill 2nd character and then repeat set up on last character. It's a "guess a TAC wrong once and lose all your characters" team.

Seems like he's saying no more UMVC3 stuff but something more exciting is in the works. Probably a Capcom All Stars game.
That's what it sounds like, I'm just hoping someone can give a better-than-machine translation to be sure. IMO, that's a statement to get hype over.

So, I kinda just returned from being out of town and without internet. Could anyone tell me what have the highlights of Final Round been so far and if there's been any info on how my Mexican bros did?

Dahbomb

Most of your Mexicans didn't show up. No Frutsy or Taekua, Team Latin America got bopped.

Top 8 for Marvel is looking like this thus far:

Winners: Justin Wong, FChamp, Flocker
Losers: Yipes (?), Neo, Moonz, ChrisG, Dieminion (?)

PRRog eliminated by Flocker and MarlinPie.

Top Bottom