• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 - A Thief's |Reviews Thread| Nateness Awaits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

Anxiously awaiting the Greynames and/or the shit-list summary post.

Also awaiting my $40 preorder from Future Shop cum Best Buy order to arrive on Tuesday. Gonna be a good time. Had a blast with the multiplayer beta.

VanWinkle

giphy.gif

That animation quality is INSANE. Wow.

Exodust

Banned
We are forgetting what's really important here. Is Chloe in the game or not?

Answer and I'll give you my score right now.

Man, I stayed up hoping for one random site to give it a 7 to see some meltdowns. Universal acclaim isn't nearly as entertaining!

Good job Naughty Dog on making a fine game.

DocSeuss

I can never trust reviews of ND games, because they're usually like 15 points higher than they actually feel to me to play on average. Hoping ND has finally made a great Uncharted game, but not holding my breath.

LMAO what the fuck! So Uncharted 4 is just as good as Alienation guys lol. a $20 indie game.

That is offensive to Alienation. How dare they give it anything less than a 10. What a perfect game from Housemarque.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

Yeah, just read through this.

This worries me though.(Not actual spoilers but general impressions of plot details so I tagged em anyway)
Nathan Drake is mostly in his sunset as he chases this final treasure. We’ve all been here before, and the story is regularly reminding us that it’s time to move on. It’s even in the title. Perhaps it fits and even works as meta-commentary, then, that Uncharted 4 stumbles near the end. Final gameplay sequences feel rushed or at least less cleverly laid out than the hours of action that preceded them. Characters make odd exits, some perhaps being saved for an expansion or some non-Naughty Dog sequel or spin-off. The game’s very last playable sequence and cutscene help clarify what Uncharted 4's real themes were and will provoke some lively discussion. Some of the dissatisfaction the game’s oddly-paced final quarter presents may be a product of deadlines. Some is hopefully intentional. No spoilers about what becomes of Nathan and Sam’s quest, but us real-life treasure hunters don’t always get everything we want.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Interesting. Their main complaint is an overly long third act?
Honestly, that was one of the best surprises for me. There's a point where it feels like, OK, I must be closing in on the end of the game (which would have been disappointing) but it ends up going on for much much longer and what's there is insanely good.

The first third of the game is actually my least favorite. It's still very very good BUT there are a LOT of slower moments that don't really hold up in replays. Starting the game again, I felt the urge to just skip ahead to the point where the game really kicks in.

Again, that stuff is awesome at setting up the game but there's a lot of walking around and climbing.

From the point of the recent B-roll footage (in the jeep) up through the end of the game, it just never stops giving.

This worries me though.(Not actual spoilers but general impressions of plot details so I tagged em anyway)
I don't think the final gameplay sequences feel rushed at all. I think some players may have FELT rushed since the game is quite long but those last sections are all much better paced than any of the previous games. I can't stress enough how much of an improvement the final third of the game is over previous UC titles.

I will start reading the non perfect reveiws for the lulz just to know what those "journalists" try to send as message. I hope they know what they are talking about.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Although I haven't watched it, I'd recommend people take that 'spoiler-free' part of the Kinda Funny review with a grain of salt. Sometimes Greg can get a bit ahead of himself.

Tagg9

So I thought I'd take a look through some of the 80% reviews...

Digitally Downloaded
http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2016/05/review-uncharted-4-thiefs-end-sony.html

And therein lies my greatest problem with Uncharted, and the reason I consider it to be a fundamentally “dumb” experience; over and over again the game promises genuine openness, only to rip that away from you, not trusting that you'll play the game "right". Beneath its production value-driven smoke-and-mirrors lies the same hyper-linear shooter experience that we see in so many other blockbuster games. There’s only one way to make your way through the wilderness in Scotland. That way is filled with environmental puzzles to overcome, which have only one solution, and a couple of larger areas where there are patrolling enemies to take out. Here, at least, you have the option to kill them by stealth, or simply go in with guns blazing. But that’s still just two options. And there’s no way to simply circumvent the enemies, negotiate with them, subdue them non-violently, trick them into letting you past, and so on. You’re playing the game the way Naughty Dog tells you to play it, and the inability to be creative as a player is very much at odds with the visual openness that the game provides.

So this review is completely invalid, as the reviewer evidently wanted to play a different type of (open world?) game.

Videogamer
http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/uncharted_4_review.html
So it is a little more than frustrating to have your progress through these locales constantly interrupted with maddening, artificial roadblocks. This is a game which, despite Nate having a grappling hook that he uses (in some of the game's best moments) to swing from place to vertiginous place, won't allow him to climb up eight feet of wall. In its stead are more boosts than a British newsagent: Drake constantly has to help a support character up and over obstacles (all of which could easily be surmounted by Drake himself), before they invariably push a wheeled crate off from the top so he can climb it.

Uncharted 4 does this, roughly, approximately 600 times in 12 hours, and it's old and tired by the third go around. It is needless, and interrupts the flow of seeing Drake hang, jump, swing and piton his way across vast environments. Other mechanics are also drastically overused: there are so many slipey-slidey sections, where Drake and co barrel down to certain death on their butts, that I fear Dave Perry may get PTSD should he ever play it. That the characters comment on the frequency of these slides is enough evidence that even the developers themselves probably thought it was a little overdone.

This seems like a legitimate criticism, although one could argue that this is how Naughty Dog does their storytelling - they deliberately slow down the pace of the game to introduce conversations that wouldn't make sense during action-oriented moments. I'd also argue that you need those slow moments to provide contrast with the frenetic gun fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom