• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 being teased?

treason

mindblown.png
troll.png

nd needs to throw uncharted in the bushes and work on a new ip .

If UC4 ties up things better than UC3, fantastic!

But I really wish they would have postponed UC3 a bit to get all the actors to be around for the story beats that needed them.

I'm still game for more UC, so hopefully it won't be too long before the next title.

LastNac

'Playable' in only the most technical definition of the term. But this is getting off subject, so I'll just cut it short with my replies here...

Right, and if it stayed in Uncharted that's fine (Tomb Raider being destroyed by copying Uncharted, however, deserves hate). I enjoy the shooting just enough to bother playing them, don't I?

But your last comment is just silly. Just because someone develops something and people love it doesn't at all justify it being above criticism. Nobody is asking every series to be like every other series. The problem with Uncharted is that it actually implements elements that other games do tremendously better.

For example, it has these platforming segments... except it's basically impossible to die, you can pretty much press a direction and guarantee success. So why would I choose the platforming in this game over a game that does it well? Why wouldn't I criticize it? It's lazy game design through and through, and Arne says it's because 'dying sucks.' I couldn't think of a worse game design philosophy.

In any event, nothing I said means it is objectively terrible. And I wouldn't even call them terrible, just mediocre. But I reserve my right to criticize the same as you reserve your right to praise; there is no more right to do one than the other.

Firstly, let's play Tomb Raider before we pass judgement.

Second, nothing is above criticism, nor should something be. My point is your whems and problems aren't mine. I keep on hearing this urban legend that UC3 had difficulty curbs and was punishing in its linearity. I didn't have that problem nor did any of my friends. Hell, pop into one of our XBL parties and there are at least eight people who praise it for exactly what it is and what it did. The problem is when people complain about something loudly enough, producers and creators begin to see the source of their complaint as a problem when I, and several people here do not feel it to be. If someone has a complaint about something and someone else does not find fault with the exact same thing, then what's at fault? The "issue" or the person who has it? In this situation what is the variable that changes?

Am I begging for an Uncharted 4? I would like to get one but I feel the series ended on its highest note. Do I want the hands who crafted UC3 to create UC4 in the same vein of its predecessor? Absolutely.

StuBurns

Banned

Second, nothing is above criticism, nor should something be. My point is your whems and problems aren't mine. I keep on hearing this urban legend that UC3 had difficulty curbs and was punishing in its linearity. I didn't have that problem nor did any of my friends. Hell, pop into one of our XBL parties and there are at least eight people who praise it for exactly what it is and what it did. The problem is when people complain about something loudly enough, producers and creators begin to see the source of their complaint as a problem when I, and several people here do not feel it to be. If someone has a complaint about something and someone else does not, then what's at fault? The "issue" or the person who has one is the variable that changes?

Am I begging for an Uncharted 4? I would like to get one but I feel the series ended on its highest note. Do I want the hands who crafted UC3 to create UC4 in the same vein of its predecessor? Absolutely.
So what are you suggesting? For everyone who thinks UC3 was a mess with broken ass controls and boring desert crap that felt like a third party Uncharted 2 clone, there should be someone posting directly under saying it's a shining beacon of majestic wonder? To balance out the message to the developers? That seems highly impractical.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Arne's lying! I know it!
First stage of grief.

He's a very talented actor, I'm glad he's working in other games!

LastNac

So what are you suggesting? For everyone who thinks UC3 was a mess with broken ass controls and boring desert crap that felt like a third party Uncharted 2 clone, there should be someone posting directly under saying it's a shining beacon of majestic wonder? To balance out the message to the developers? That seems highly impractical.

Well why the Hell not, when did your opinion become anymore important than mine.

Don't be daft. As Amir0x indicated and what I repeated, this is all subjective your criticisms = my acclaim.

When it comes down to it, the most vocal and passionate are the ones that help their cause the most. I have every right to post a counter stance to any and all times that you "unleash your hate".

StuBurns

Banned
Well why the Hell not, when did your opinion become anymore important than mine.

Don't be daft. As Amir0x indicated and what I repeated, this is all subjective your criticisms = my acclaim.

When it comes down to it, the most vocal and passionate are the ones that help their cause the most. I have every right to post a counter stance to any and all times that you "unleash your hate".
But you don't, most of your replies are bitching about the people complaining, not about how good the game is, it's obnoxious.

Amir0x

Banned

I have played Tomb Raider. Not the final game of course, but unless every preview/review/hands-on/demo/etc is just wrong entirely and they're hiding a secret game, I am pretty confident in my analysis :p

Second, nothing is above criticism, nor should something be. My point is your whems and problems aren't mine. I keep on hearing this urban legend that UC3 had difficulty curbs and was punishing in its linearity. I didn't have that problem nor did any of my friends. Hell, pop into one of our XBL parties and there are at least eight people who praise it for exactly what it is and what it did. The problem is when people complain about something loudly enough, producers and creators begin to see the source of their complaint as a problem when I, and several people here do not feel it to be. If someone has a complaint about something and someone else does not find fault with the exact same thing, then what's at fault? The "issue" or the person who has it? In this situation what is the variable that changes?

Of course it's a variable. You can hang out with thirty people who don't see a particular problem and the issue may still indeed be an issue, and the same is true in reverse. Just because you hang out with a group of people that don't find something to be an issue doesn't mean the person who finds the problem is as fault (and, again, vice versa).

Personally, just like you play games for yourself, I play games for myself. People can say they don't, but they do. And because of that when I complain it's through the prism of what I want in a game. And if a developer hears that and it's amplified by a chorus of others who have the same problem, all the better if it means they'll fix that something that is a problem to me. I feel like a lot of the issues I have can be fixed in Uncharted without it even remotely changing what it meant to be Uncharted, too. This isn't a 'take an action game and turn it into an RPG' situation or something.

Obviously if you don't have the same problem it'd suck if it happened. But there is the same give and take in every franchise on Earth... sometimes we get what we want, sometimes we don't. As long as they keep the same core values that made these series what they were, the changes are going to be acceptable to one group or the other and be perfectly legitimate either way.

AlexBasch

Couldn't agree more. I was a huge fan of the way relationships were dealt with in Uncharted 3. It really is less about the treasure and instead uses the treasure as a vehicle to drive the story of the characters this time around.
Yup. I wish they would have cut down a little on the "close calls" a bit, since it got ridiculous at the end. Character wise, I liked UC3, design wise, UC2 is still superior.

Can't wait to see a Charlie Cutter Electric Boogaloo Revengeance game, though.

I'm fine with another Uncharted title if they go back to Uncharted 2's combat design and do more than throw 20 enemies into an arena with seemingly no purpose. Uncharted 2 felt like every shootout had an identity and was designed to showcase something. Uncharted 3 was just arena massacres with no restraint in regards to enemy types or numbers. And PLEASE get rid of the spongy brute enemies.

LastNac

But you don't, most of your replies are bitching about the people complaining, not about how good the game is, it's obnoxious.

Go through my post history. Hell, I'm pretty sure I was praising Chapter 18 and the next post was.

Hold stick right to watch an ugly film, yeah, that bit was magical..

Whenever I do praise it I am pretty sure it is followed by by a very antagonistic, dickish comments. Hell, I am pretty sure most people who post good things or favorable things about UC3 get smartass Gifs, or comments thrown at them.

Did I not see a boothisman.gif earlier to the subject?

StuBurns

Banned
Whenever I do praise it I am pretty sure it is followed by by a very antagonistic, dickish comments. Hell, I am pretty sure most people who post good things or favorable things about UC3 get smartass Gifs, or comments thrown at them.

Did I not see a boothisman.gif earlier to the subject?
What you consider to be a 'dickish comment' was actually a serious criticism, just in the form of a joke. That scene is not a video game, push stick right to watch a man slowly walk is not interactive, at that point what it is? It's a very ugly film. Do I want a very ugly film I have to babysit? No, I don't.

LastNac

What you consider to be a 'dickish comment' was actually a serious criticism, just in the form of a joke. That scene is not a video game, push stick right to watch a man slowly walk is not interactive, at that point what it is? It's a very ugly film. Do I want a very ugly film I have to babysit? No, I don't.

In what definition is it not "interactive." Does it lack complexity? Yes. Is it simple? Yes.

Is it passive in the sense that a film is? Ofcourse not.

And frankly the term "video game" has become so incredibly determental when it comes to describe these certain events. I am not pulling of "sick combos" in the desert, nor am I having any "stupid fun", yet it would be an outright lie to say it doesn't impact me. Powerfully in fact.

Use what ever word you deem fit to use, Call it trivial, or "gimicky" but pushing a weak and broken Drake through the second night impacted me emotionally, not because of how I was doing it but because of what I was doing.

StuBurns

Banned
In what definition is it not "interactive." Does it lack complexity? Yes. Is it simple? Yes.

Is it passive in the sense that a film is? Ofcourse not.

And frankly the term "video game" has become so incredibly determental when it comes to describe these certain events. I am not pulling of "sick combos" in the desert, nor am I having any "stupid fun", yet it would be an outright lie to say it doesn't impact me. Powerfully in fact.
Holding right or pushing forward isn't anymore interactive then pressing play on a bluray remote. One requires you to keep the button held, but that's not more interactive, it's the same action, just for a longer period, and a really boring period in the case of that sequence.

This idea of merging film and video games is fundamentally flawed, they are completely contradictory things, games are about freedom, and expression, film is about being directed, being catered. For all the acclaim of the Uncharted series for it's visuals and it's story and it's acting, it pales in comparison to even the most pulpy action films, it's just impressive when compared to it's peers who try, and fail to do something similar. It's not using it's interactively interestingly at all. And that's fine in the first two games, because essentially the story is brief, and just there as a premise for whatever antics you'll be taking part in, but in UC3 it's far more intrusive, and as terrible as that was, even that would have been more acceptable if the actual gameplay wasn't massively worse than UC2.

The game is everything that is bad about video games, and to follow on from such a refined, immaculate experience like UC2, I would say it was the single biggest letdown of any game.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, their basic in the sense that I am not pulling off any "sick combos" to get Drake through the Desert but frankly, does it matter? I will always take interacting with something than just simply watching it, the cherry on top being that the UC3 team created moments that were as enjoyable to "play" as they were to watch.
You picked quite possibly the worst example here. The desert section was god awful. They didn't need to make a five minute cutscene. Thirty seconds showing him wandering throught the desert. Done.

Instead I had to hold the damn left stick up and watch Drake stumble in a straight line for what felt like an eternity waiting for the game to start again.

I personally thought that Uncharted 2 was the better overall game. However, I also thought that the best parts of Uncharted 3 blew the best parts of Uncharted 2 out of the water. Some parts were truly insane and completely blew me away.

It also gave us the best Uncharted level, and probably one of the best designed levels in a game this gen (Bioshock and a few others come close).

Mononoke

Banned
I personally thought that Uncharted 2 was the better overall game. However, I also thought that the best parts of Uncharted 3 blew the best parts of Uncharted 2 out of the water. Some parts were truly insane and completely blew me away.

It also gave us the best Uncharted level, and probably one of the best designed levels in a game this gen (Bioshock and a few others come close).

Story in 3 was ass. I agree that the cinematics, and some of the level designs were better than 2 (in terms of the technical scale). But who plays Uncharted for level design? The entier game is linear/story driven.

So in that sense, 3 didn't hold a candle to 2.

SpartanN92

Banned
Holding right or pushing forward isn't anymore interactive then pressing play on a bluray remote. One requires you to keep the button held, but that's not more interactive, it's the same action, just for a longer period, and a really boring period in the case of that sequence.

Not at all. When controlling Drake in the desert you are not just making Drake move like any standard game, you are the manifestation of guidance and support for Drake. In Halo, I can move the joystick forward but if I let off the stick, Chief won't sink to his knees in exhaustion. In Halo you are playing as chief, in Uncharted you are guiding Drake in an interactive way.

By your logic no game is interactive at all then. Just a sequence of button presses. Or perhaps you mean to say that the number of button presses equates interactivity? The more you press the more interactive it is, in which case I can assume that Mortal Kombat is the game for you.

Story in 3 was ass. I agree that the cinematics, and some of the level designs were better than 2 (in terms of the technical scale). But who plays Uncharted for level design? The entier game is linear/story driven.

Well, if we're talking story, then I like Uncharted 1 the best.

Uncharted 4 has to be done. No way they wasted all that time with the multiplayer adding in features and modes just to throw it all away. I don't mind if they say make UC4 a 2014 title and then 2015 bring back Jak and Daxter and then a year later release The last of US 2.

They can basically alternate between Uncharted, Jak and the Last of US for the next 6-7 years.

Naughty Dog should create a brand new platformer that's highly reminiscent of Crash Bandicoot. That should make Activision
llLG0.png
and Sony can finally use this mascot for their own purpose in PASBR 2.

I'd LOVE if UC4's MP were to go back to it's UC2 roots and be balanced again. Unbalanced 3 was a clusterfuck online and I basically played it each month, patch after patch hoping the next "patch" would be the one that fixed the game. Finally when they did add in a classic mode, I got tired of the game already and just decided to stop playing it much. Hopefully The last of US' MP isn't some shoe-horned , lackadaisical mode with rage kickbacks and dumb intros.

BadAss2961

lol, gamers sometimes. How ADD do you have to be for the desert scene to upset you?

Is it really that difficult to trudge through a story related desert for a few minutes while Naughty Dog shows off their graphics and animation?

meta4

What is good level design got to do with a game being linear or open world?. The train level in UC2 is an example of absolutely brilliant level design.

lol, gamers sometimes. How ADD do you have to be for the desert scene to upset you?

Is it really that difficult to trudge through a story related desert for a few minutes while Naughty Dog shows off their graphics and animation?

Every single second of my first playthrough in a game shorter than 30 hours is dedicated to thinking about how every mechanic will hold up during a 2nd+ playthrough.

So yeah, that desert section didn't sit well with me. Maybe it's just me though.

1cmanny1

Uncharted is my FAVOURITE new IP this gen. However I am 100% against [UC4] being on PS3. I have <--- TLOU for dat Naughty Dog crave.

UC4... PS4 or bust, Sony.

This. Uncharted is the best game this generation on the consoles in my opinion. I want to see U4 and LBP3 get released at the launch of the PS4.

I don't really care for next-gen consoles, but I hope it's not for the PS3. We really don't need 4 games in one generation, in the span of what, 5 or 6 years?

snooper

Neo Member
Why does it have to be UC4 if it's a ND project?

We all saw the Easter egg in UC3 that hinted at TLOU and I believe there is one in TLOU about a upcoming ND project.

Let's take a look at this video (jump to the 0:49 mark)

E3 2012 gameplay trailer

Hey, there's another one, posters are everywhere

Could ND be hinting at a "supernatural" game? With the fairy "vampires" in the Twilight series, the genre is booming!

Takao

Banned
I hope it's not a GA sequel. UC: GA is the first Bend game I didn't want. They're too good to be making direct-to-DVD Indiana Jones knockoffs.

Every single second of my first playthrough in a game shorter than 30 hours is dedicated to thinking about how every mechanic will hold up during a 2nd+ playthrough.

So yeah, that desert section didn't sit well with me. Maybe it's just me though.

Why not dedicate it to just enjoying the game?

Why not dedicate it to just enjoying the game?

I can't enjoy what I know I'll come to dislike the second time around. I'm not saying the desert ruined the entire game, but it's just how I am. If I know it'll annoy me on repeat playthroughs and there's no way to avoid it, that's a strike in my book. Unskippable cutscenes, forced walking, overuse of QTE's, control taken away frequently, bad/broken sections of gameplay, etc., etc. (Note: not all of that applies here, just in general)

Well that's just cray.

Nah, not really. Replayability is second only to overall game quality, but lack of it can still bring an experience way WAY down for me. Any section of gameplay that gets in the way of that is one I, personally, just can't enjoy to the fullest. All I could think about while going through the desert was "I already know I won't be able to skip this next time." It's just a way of thinking I can't turn off.

Top Bottom