• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 being teased?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Uncharted 4 is most likely an Orbis exclusive however I don't believe they'll make the launch window. Perhaps a year down the line from Orbis release date.

sd28821

I am hoping for unkarted just because i want to see how it would turn out

other wise it could be uncharted tombs a tomb-raider uncharted spin off game where you must protect drake and Lara for wave of enemy s with multiple paths and brutal finishers set in the most epic set pieces available

Great more resources being wasted on a linear cinematic handholding duck and cover shooter with terrible online. But at least the graphics are good!

mindblown.png

Even if the Uncharted 3 team started development of PS4 Uncharted 4 after they finished UC3, transitioning to next gen could prove challenging and extended the development cycle. Also, UC3 wasn't as good as UC2 since it was a bit rushed. 3 more months of polish and it would have been somewhat better. What's the real mystery is how they managed to create UC2 in the same time frame and deliver arguably one of the greatest games of this generation. Then again, it was a somewhat different team.

Verendus

Banned
Uncharted 4 will happen. And considering what will be capable with Orbis, I think some people will be changing their tune when it's inevitably revealed from disinterest to salivating. Those of you who aren't already Uncharted fans that is, since you're already on the path that leads to light.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If it is Uncharted 4 it would probably be the point where they are bringing in the actors for mo cap and voices if they're aiming for 2014. I bet we'll see it at the VGAs.

ZaCH3000

Serious face palm at all the Uncharted haters up in here. Do y'all run into Gears, Final Fantasy and Halo threads complaining about franchise fatigue as well?

Derrick01

Banned
Open World on Vita? I'm calling bs on that. The resources necessary to do that for a portable game especially in the Uncharted world is nuts.

I don't know how feasible it would have been but it's definitely not BS as Bend were the ones who commented on it. We have a thread about it somewhere on here.

Serious face palm at all the Uncharted haters up in here. Do y'all run into Gears, Final Fantasy and Halo threads complaining about franchise fatigue as well?

You're right no one complained about another Halo game and definitely not the new Gears of War.

Raonak

Banned
It was pretty obvious that ND plans on continuing the series after their comments on uncharted not being a trilogy. it's one of the most popular IPs sony has.
Im curious to see how they evolve the series.

The fact it's his first day means it's still a ways off.
I think the U3 team are probably working on a PS4 launch window title right now, while the TLOU team are transitioning into U4 since they're wrapping TLOU up.

Uncharted 4 - 2015 im guessing.

I don't know how feasible it would have been but it's definitely not BS as Bend were the ones who commented on it. We have a thread about it somewhere on here.

You're right no one complained about another Halo game and definitely not the new Gears of War.

I must have missed that. I can't imagine that is more than a pipe dream though creating open world games is a big big undertaking.

Spiegel

They might have not had such a hard time if Sony didn't force them to implement every gimmick known to man.

Not really, as John Garvin put in the post mortem, they really didn't have experience making open world games. This added to trying to have the game ready for launch and also being the graphical showcase of the system put enough pressure on them.

But they surely could consider doing a more open game now.

LastNac

It's not really a trend of going downhill when there is only one game developed by Naughty Dog after 2 :p

(I would argue the series represents something larger: a pivotal moment in the overall downhill trend of the gaming industry) ;)

I'd argue one man's "downhill trend" is another's ascendance. Not to something "better" but instead to something different, Mr. Jaffe

Tuck

I disagree with the people saying Uncharted needs a break. Its one of the few franchises that, to me, still feel quite fresh.

Amir0x

Banned
I'd argue one man's "downhill trend" is another's ascendance. Not to something "better" but instead to something different, Mr. Jaffe

Obviously. But I definitely would say it's worse for people that like gameplay and don't care for developers to hold their hands through some banal vision from the alternate dimension called "breakable platform-verse."

LastNac

Obviously. But I definitely would say it's worse for people that like gameplay and don't care for developers to hold their hands through some banal vision from the alternate dimension called "breakable platform-verse."

Can we not have both "player authorship" as well as the "designer's vision"?

BadAss2961

I disagree with the people saying Uncharted needs a break. Its one of the few franchises that, to me, still feel quite fresh.
It doesn't matter what they think anyway. Those who say it needs a break are an extremely small group of people.

StuBurns

Banned
Uncharted 4 will happen. And considering what will be capable with Orbis, I think some people will be changing their tune when it's inevitably revealed from disinterest to salivating. Those of you who aren't already Uncharted fans that is, since you're already on the path that leads to light.
It will obviously be mindbogglingly beautiful, even as a staunch UC3 hater, I'll melt when it's revealed I'm sure.

Although, all the things I think are shit about UC3 you couldn't have known until it came out, so it's not like I wouldn't still be buying UC4, even if it's as bad as 3, I won't know until it's too late.

Also, people think there's a big gap between Sony's games and third parties right now, it's going to be nothing compared to early next-gen. Third parties are going to still be shipping on PS360 too, everything will be designed to perform on really below par machines, and even the PS480 only games are going to have to lead on Xbox if the performance rumours are true. Sony's games are going to be a lot further ahead than they already are. If I have a PS4 when UC4 comes out, I'm buying it, regardless of having been burned.

Wasn't Cutter supposed to have a bigger role in Uncharted 3 but was written out because of real-life circumstances ? He needs to be in 4, just to make up for the loss. He was great.

Amir0x

Banned
let us what?

let us play the damned games they make :p

'oh hey this part looks neat but--'
'oh it's just a cinematic and i have no functional control of the outcome.'
'oh hey wow that looks fun to platform how--'
'oh it's just pretty looking obstacles, you can't actually lose in this shit without having the motor reflexes of a 140 year old grandmother.'
'oh cool it's--'
'--another cutscene.'

Caramuru

Neo Member
Although I love the idea of Uncharted 4 being a PS4 launch title, I don't believe it will happen.

BTW, does "Arne" work at ND? Cool! Congrats for having helped to make the best new IP of this gen, man.

I thought Uncharted 3 was better than UC2, so I think its a great thing if they do another one. And especially if its a next gen title, that tends to completely overshadow any sequelitis worries people have. I had no problems like other people did with UC3, like shooting or bugs or whatnot, it was flawless imo. so bring it on!

how about playable sections with a preggers Elena? revolutionary!

BadAss2961

'oh it's just pretty looking obstacles, you can't actually lose in this shit without having the motor reflexes of a 140 year old grandmother.'
'oh cool it's--'
'--another cutscene.'
I honestly never felt this at any point in the series. Every cool area or situation they drew up was playable.

Bend is a really great studio, I haven't played Golden Abyss yet, but the two Syphon Filter games (Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow) they made were truly exceptional. Too bad they are swept under the rug....

IMO if a studio shows that level of passion reviving a dead franchise, they deserve a special treatment, more hype, more marketing, more screen time. Absolutely fantastic studio but they must have suffered some brain drain since they have been working on dead platforms for so long.

'oh cool it's--'
'--another cutscene.'

never felt this way at all...I just sit back and enjoy the ride.

LastNac

'oh cool it's--'
'--another cutscene.'

Listen, if you aren't a fan of these interactive cinematic(and no, not cutscene) experiences. no one is forcing you to buy them. I liked UC3 becuase it gave me interactivity in small moments that would normally be basic cutscenes. People focus on the bigger moments(Plane, ship, etc,) which are still very awesome and cinematic, but I was equally if not more so drawn and impressed by the calmer moments that still retained interaction, like the desert, the bar, and Drake pushing Cutter. Yes, their basic in the sense that I am not pulling off any "sick combos" to get Drake through the Desert but frankly, does it matter? I will always take interacting with something than just simply watching it, the cherry on top being that the UC3 team created moments that were as enjoyable to "play" as they were to watch. People were crowding around me when I started up Chapter 18, they weren't blown away by the amazing visuals, they were blown away by the fact that I still maintained control. What about that is so terrible, so damnable that justifies all the unnecessary flak and hate that UC3 receives?

At the end of the day, can't we all have what we want? If its not for you I hope you find what you want, afterall, there should be dynamic and deverse experiences outthere for everyone. This whole streamlined "This needs to be like that" and concept of absolution is what is really hurting the industry.

I wish all of these "master critics" would stop critiquing what others who actually develop create and others still love. If people don't like something thats fine, but that doesn't mean it's terrible and it is done mean that it doesn't have fans of its own.

XAL

UC3 sucked badly. Campaign felt like "how do we make a story mildly workable to be able to string together these 8 setpieces?" rather than "here is a really cool story, what kind of cool setpieces can we pull off?"

I hope they raise the bar for this one.

UC3 sucked badly. Campaign felt like "how do we make a story mildly workable to be able to string together these 8 setpieces?" rather than "here is a really cool story, what kind of cool setpieces can we pull off?"

I hope they raise the bar for this one.

sucked? we knew more of Sully and Drake in UC3 than UC2. and at least the villain isn't some cliched 'i have ze army and i will conquer ze world!'

LastNac

sucked? we knew more of Sully and Drake in UC3 than UC2. and at least the villain isn't some cliched 'i have ze army and i will conquer ze world!'

Couldn't agree more. I was a huge fan of the way relationships were dealt with in Uncharted 3. It really is less about the treasure and instead uses the treasure as a vehicle to drive the story of the characters this time around.

Amir0x

Banned
I honestly never felt this at any point in the series. Every cool area or situation they drew up was playable.

'Playable' in only the most technical definition of the term. But this is getting off subject, so I'll just cut it short with my replies here...

At the end of the day, can't we all have what we want? If its not for you I hope you find what you want, afterall, there should be dynamic and deverse experiences outthere for everyone. This whole streamlined "This needs to be like that" and concept of absolution is what is really hurting the industry.

I wish all of these "master critics" would stop critiquing what others who actually develop create and others still love. If people don't like something thats fine, but that doesn't mean it's terrible and it is done mean that it doesn't have fans of its own.

Right, and if it stayed in Uncharted that's fine (Tomb Raider being destroyed by copying Uncharted, however, deserves hate). I enjoy the shooting just enough to bother playing them, don't I?

But your last comment is just silly. Just because someone develops something and people love it doesn't at all justify it being above criticism. Nobody is asking every series to be like every other series. The problem with Uncharted is that it actually implements elements that other games do tremendously better.

For example, it has these platforming segments... except it's basically impossible to die, you can pretty much press a direction and guarantee success. So why would I choose the platforming in this game over a game that does it well? Why wouldn't I criticize it? It's lazy game design through and through, and Arne says it's because 'dying sucks.' I couldn't think of a worse game design philosophy.

In any event, nothing I said means it is objectively terrible. And I wouldn't even call them terrible, just mediocre. But I reserve my right to criticize the same as you reserve your right to praise; there is no more right to do one than the other.

Top Bottom