• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 preview thread. New footage/info

Krakin

Yeah, ND is supposedly using self shadowed POM in the game since it was in the tech slides, but it definitely wasn't in the preview footage. Sounds like NXGamer making wrong assumptions again.

I know the flashlight seems to be using some form of dynamic GI, likely an enhanced version of the one from TLOU, but GI is still mostly baked in the environments. However, I'm still curious how exactly they do the color bleeding on the jeep and characters uhin the preview footage.

What about the clouds casting ground shadows?

gamerMan

nlglno.gif

that has seriously impressed me. and i imagine it's such a fluke of aligned AI and the actions they chose to do (sam could have easily choked him) that i'll probably never see it in my entire run of the game. lol

As amazing this game looks, this is truly incredible. The way the AI is behaving and the way the animation is stringed together looks almost perfect. It's like watching a choreographed animated scene except all the behavior is controlled through AI. I have never seen anything like it before. There are going to be so many awesome moments in the game because Naughty Dog has worked on the smallest things that no other developer would bother with.

SomTervo

Yeah, that's exactly what I worry about missing out on. I'm a lore guy and these characters seem to have a lot of personality quirks that I'm already noticing in trailers and such that has me feeling like a third wheel. But that's a lot of fucking game to plough through knowing that I ultimately want to play this new gorgeous looking thing. I got the Bayonetta 2 pack for Wii U and made the decision to play through Bayonetta 1 first and loved the hell out of it. I still haven't really touched Bayonetta 2 because I felt a bit "spent" after playing the original. And we're talking 3 games here.

It's a much softer, smoother, easier experience than Bayo. I cant imagine you'll feel burnt out on Uncharted.

SomTervo

I would watch the cutscenes of the first and play through 2 and 3. Honestly the first one is a drag. The second one might be the best PS3 game there is. Im now playing through the third and i love it so far. Graphics are insane knowing this came out a generation ago.

I disagree. You lose all the pacing if you just watch the cutscenes. Pop the first one on easy and breeze through it - then hit 2 and 3 on Hard.

Not really. Volumetric clouds that cast shadows and global illumination are almost completely unrelated unless I'm mistaken.

Global Illumination generally refers to radiance from light bouncing off of surfaces. In the vast majority of games this is baked. Several (Quantum Break most recently) do this in real time (to great effect in QB with several jaw dropping time-lapse moments).

Doesn't really matter though, UC4 looks beautiful GI or no.

Javin98

Banned
Global Illumination generally refers to radiance from light bouncing off of surfaces. In the vast majority of games this is baked. Several (Quantum Break most recently) do this in real time (to great effect in QB with several jaw dropping time-lapse moments).

Doesn't really matter though, UC4 looks beautiful GI or no.
Yeah, that's what I thought. It's a completely different thing from volumetric clouds. UC4 seems to be mostly using baked GI but the flashlight could be using some form of dynamic GI ala The Last Of Us.

Didn't Shadow of the Culosses do this on PS2?

Not that it isn't cool (it is), but firstly I don't think SotC implementation was based on actual clouds, and we don't even know if that's how Uncharted 4 is doing it yet.

And more importantly, Shadow of the Colossus did stuff on the PS2 that is still ridiculously impressive. Mainly because making systems like that will ALWAYS be impressive, regardless of the power that's available to devs to realise them.

Shadow of the Colossus had a weird version of self shadowing, when most games on PS2 didn't even manage real time shadows, let alone that. There's PS3 games that didn't have self shadowing.

Well, DriveClub and Horizon Zero Dawn are two games I can think of that have clouds casting shadows.

You do not actually need volumetric clouds for clouds to cast shadows, nor do volumetric clouds necessarily cast shadows, rather, you can just overlay a texture that moves throughout the level (the way Crysis 1 did it for example).

Have we actually seen how clouds are done in UC4? The one .gif posted a while back of the jeep moving through the level got some comments that it is a skybox image.

You do not actually need volumetric clouds for clouds to cast shadows, nor do volumetric clouds necessarily cast shadows, rather, you can just overlay a texture that moves throughout the level (the way Crysis 1 did it for example).

Have we actually seen how clouds are done in UC4? The one .gif posted a while back of the jeep moving through the level got some comments that it is a skybox image.

Haven't seen any volumetric clouds so far. And yea, that was a skybox image.

mrqs

This video goes on even longer at the end.

https://youtu.be/pUAxAPWH3GM?t=851

That's awesome!

Pretty explosion :)
giphy.gif

I remember that in the first PSX demo those explosions were like sprites that follow the camera. Did anyone heard more about that? It was pretty ugly looking going around the smoke and seeing it following you, pretty unatural. Hopefully they changed to something more 3d-like, even if it's a pre-rendered thing and not in real time.

Closer look at the water

https://youtu.be/F30DMF_htu0?t=357

(No idea what the guy in the video is saying though)

He's just saying that, while he usually prefers 60fps games, the level of detail achieved by U4 makes 30fps perfectly acceptable, so he's not saying anything particularly technical.

What's interesting is Drake's journal at 9:44, "Useful Italian phrases". I wonder if it's just there because it's the Italian build or if it hints at a possible location Drake visits in the game (or before the game, I don't know).

He's just saying that, while he usually prefers 60fps games, the level of detail achieved by U4 makes 30fps perfectly acceptable, so he's not saying anything particularly technical.

What's interesting is Drake's journal at 9:44, "Useful Italian phrases". I wonder if it's just there because it's the Italian build or if it hints at a possible location Drake visits in the game (or before the game, I don't know).

Pretty sure Italy's confirmed. The Nadine reveal took place in Italy IIRC.

Krakin

Yeah, that's what I thought. It's a completely different thing from volumetric clouds. UC4 seems to be mostly using baked GI but the flashlight could be using some form of dynamic GI ala The Last Of Us.

Well I'm confused cuz I thought we've seen plenty of that happening in UC4 even aside from the flashlight.

The Lamp

As amazing this game looks, this is truly incredible. The way the AI is behaving and the way the animation is stringed together looks almost perfect. It's like watching a choreographed animated scene except all the behavior is controlled through AI. I have never seen anything like it before. There are going to be so many awesome moments in the game because Naughty Dog has worked on the smallest things that no other developer would bother with.

This kind of stuff has been happening since at least Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us.

Ellie would brick people who headlocked you.

This kind of stuff has been happening since at least Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us.

Ellie would brick people who headlocked you.

He's not just talking about AI saving you. Look at the way the AI string together their attacks and how the animations blend smoothly to make it look totally organic.

I really wonder what this means for (the possibility of) TLOU 2.

One thing I would've really liked is more open spaces to explore different routes and stealth and so on.

They could really make even more of a survival game atmosphere I guess. Not that more is always better, but would be great to have TLOU where you could explore the wasteland environments even more.

I remember that in the first PSX demo those explosions were like sprites that follow the camera. Did anyone heard more about that? It was pretty ugly looking going around the smoke and seeing it following you, pretty unatural. Hopefully they changed to something more 3d-like, even if it's a pre-rendered thing and not in real time.

I would imagine they are pre-rendering animated billboards for explosions in some sort of fluid simulation software already.
Hope these help:

9qxnlCh.gif

TuF97gF.gif
Thx
Haven't seen any volumetric clouds so far. And yea, that was a skybox image.

Yeah, it looks like a scrolling / animated skybox image.

"Do you have a boyfriend ?" Casanova is back !

Pretty sure Italy's confirmed. The Nadine reveal took place in Italy IIRC.

They mentioned an Italian Villa, so that's probably it.

Top Bottom