• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not disputing the downgrade, but Ubisoft showed a more immersive experience than the final game delivered.
For Uncharted and Witcher you need high res shots and some technical knowledge to spot the differences. Watchdogs just looked a generation worse.

Watch Dogs also started development before the final specs of the PS4 and XB1 were known, not thr same situation and an actual valid excuse compared to Uncharted 4. Regarding the Witcher 3 the final version looks a generation behind what they previously shown not to mention the abysmal framerate we got.

Javin98

Banned
Well now that the game has been out for a couple of months we finally face the reality, the game never looked like that. Sit back, grab some popcorn, enjoy re-reading through the first few pages and remember,things aren't always what they seem to be. mr skeltal is watching u bros. stay frosty.

60 frames-per-second,msaa,higher hair fidelity,incredible shadows,better lighting, much better textures
drake_by_raziel1992-d7m0j48.gif

8ThSEQg.jpg

Kzt3ah1.jpg

sdPm2h2.jpg

VoJbV.gif
I don't mean to be rude, but some of the posters here really need to get a life. Bumping a 2 years old thread for this? If people wanted to read it and still cared, just go over to the game graphics thread.

Durante

The image quality in the game is especially outstanding, better than bog-standard MSAA IMO, and definitely better than the first shown gameplay footage, which is obvious in DF comparison video where there's places where some of the trees shimmer in the old gameplay footage, but they do not in the final game.
Also definitely worse than the original "1080p60 in-game, realtime" trailer.

c0de

I don't mean to be rude, but some of the posters here really need to get a life. Bumping a 2 years old thread for this? If people wanted to read it and still cared, just go over to the game graphics thread.

Don't you think that the first pages in this thread warrant a bump? I mean, people actually believed that UC4 would turn out like what the trailer promised, and it didn't. Of course it's still the best looking game yet but that doesn't change the false promise of the release trailer on a technical level.

Javin98

Banned
Don't you think that the first pages in this thread warrant a bump? I mean, people actually believed that UC4 would turn out like what the trailer promised, and it didn't. Of course it's still the best looking game yet but that doesn't change the false promise of the release trailer on a technical level.
I think it's stupid and ridiculous no matter which game it is and how severe the downgrade is. Why pull up a thread from years ago? Just to shame those who believed it at the time? If we wanted to do that, Crossing Eden would be shamed in every Ubisoft game trailer thread. If someone really wanted to prove something, just start a new damn thread.

P.S. No offense, Crossing Eden. That bit was just meant to be comedic, nothing more.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think you have to look at the first slide as well. I think these two slides make it very clear that the E3 2014 trailer wasn't running in realtime. The things that are impossible to render in realtime are listed under 1 in lowercase letters, which are the things that the hair was using in the E3 2014 trailer.

http://i.imgur.com/3TaPx8J.jpg
I see what you mean, but i still think that is about general expectations of the PS4. For example, the PS4 could easily do multi-sample anti-aliasing (MSAA), even some Xbox 360 games used that. Hi-res shadow and hi-res texture are also easily possible. so its no problem to run many of those things in real-time. These things are fairly vague, so it depends on how much "hi-res" is referring to, and how extensively they are being used, also combined with other things runing at the same time. They also say that they used alpha-blend, but not as much as they liked.

Bump this up when the next gen arrives and marketing starts with new "real-time" videos.

Probably even next gen will not match this UC4 videos, but Microsoft and especially Sony will release fake "real-time" videos nonetheless.

Kinyou

I'm not arguing that this gets a pass, I'm asking what does "giving them crap" entail? What does that look like?
I just hope that next time a naughty dog game gets announced with "Captured directly from a PS4" people are a little more cautious about how true it is and don't just proclaim "Naughty gods did it again!"

jett

D-Member
This was obvious to anyone with working eyes that wasn't mentally blinded by either unbridled hype, excitement or fanboyism.

Now look at (probably) the same people just brushing off ND's bullshit, or more hilariously insisting the trailer was somehow running in real-time on PS4 STILL.

I think I never actually posted in this thread back then, because it would have simply been too exhausting in the climate at that time.

Gotta get some balls, my man.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116063750&postcount=286
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118223033&postcount=2518
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118226339&postcount=2523

synce

Companies lie, I am shocked. FWIW the final game did still look better than anything I've seen on PC, which legitimately was shocking.

c0de

Bump this up when the next gen arrives and marketing starts with new "real-time" videos.

Probably even next gen will not match this UC4 videos, but Microsoft and especially Sony will release fake "real-time" videos nonetheless.

Of course they will but why not mention it then? I mean, why are people bothered that this is bumped? We know better now, even proven better. How can this be bad in any way?
Also the attitude that it does look better than anything in the end - so next time, devs can show whatever they want in the first place because in the end, the game still looks awesome? I mean, you can have this opinion but accept that others still think it's lying.
But perhaps it was only up to Corinne - her Twitter account when she was at Sony was in total a little bit worrying.

STEaMkb

And people are even complaining about the bump... My god, why?

People are rolling their eyes because Naughty Dog announced a conclusive framerate and resolution in 2015. Threads were bumped. Many jpegs were posted. Lots of finger pointing ensued.

I guess bumping a tech based thread with post mortem facts on that tech doesn't make sense when you can substitute those facts with your own reality.

Like pretending it's 2015 again and we've not had this discussion many times before.

FWIW the final game did still look better than anything I've seen on PC, which legitimately was shocking.

That's debatable. But yes Uncharted 4 is one impressive looking game. And some of the in-game cut scenes were close to the reveal trailer.

Early promise (top) and what the game actually delivered (bottom):

Companies lie, I am shocked. FWIW the final game did still look better than anything I've seen on PC, which legitimately was shocking.

It's not being shocked or not the problem. The issue is that it's ok to tell lies when it's not obvious to everyone and when you're lying about selling points (graphics).

I personally don't believe the lies and I'm always looking at the rest but I find this stupid and even more when the ressource taken to do something not on par with promises could have been used to make a better game overall (yeah I got bored playing Uncharted 4 even if it's a good game). The talent is here, use it to make the best game possible, not just the best looking with lies all over marketing material !

I still think Killzone 2 ended up looking damn close to that CG reveal trailer

Did you play Killzone 2 100 feet away from your TV?
None of those early PS3 tech demos looked anything like what the console could actually do.
I am really surprised people still fall for this shit and defend it. "Still looked pretty good to me" isn't an excuse for blatantly false advertising.

I see what you mean, but i still think that is about general expectations of the PS4. For example, the PS4 could easily do multi-sample anti-aliasing (MSAA), even some Xbox 360 games used that. Hi-res shadow and hi-res texture are also easily possible. so its no problem to run many of those things in real-time. These things are fairly vague, so it depends on how much "hi-res" is referring to, and how extensively they are being used, also combined with other things runing at the same time. They also say that they used alpha-blend, but not as much as they liked.

Apart from all the things you mentioned this was also in the slides

D7QIRo.png

Dark red and black basically covers the whole front. So it would've never been able to run in realtime gameplay, probably not even in cutscenes cause it would've tanked the framerate hard.
People are rolling their eyes because Naughty Dog announced a conclusive framerate and resolution in 2015. Threads were bumped. Many jpegs were posted. Lots of finger pointing ensued.

Like pretending it's 2015 again and we've not had this discussion many times before.

That's debatable. But yes Uncharted 4 is one impressive looking game. And some of the in-game cut scenes were close to the reveal trailer.

That comparison does not show the full picture and they are compressed to heck. A little while ago i stitched the two pictures together.

LSzfyT.png

I also made this comparison however before anyone jumps on my throat it is not really representative because it's a realtime cutscene in the game but the setting is the exact same so it's all that we have to go with. You can see how much the character model has changed and how their hair rendering looks different. However take note of the above.

PcrDoa.png

test_account

XP-39C²
Apart from all the things you mentioned this was also in the slides

http://i.cubeupload.com/D7QIRo.png

Dark red and black basically covers the whole front. So it would've never been able to run in realtime gameplay, probably not even in cutscenes cause it would've tanked the framerate hard.]
True. I think the first slide is mostly referring to using all those techniques heavy in-gameplay. Like they mentioned "fully alpha blended hair".

That's not a fair comparison though. Your picture down has a better image quality while the one on top is compressed a lot. Also, framerate and animations were better before.

We bumping threads now to call ND liers? That's what's going on here?

Goodness gracious...there are more productive things to do with your lives people. This is kinda sad, even if you're just bored at work or something lol.

Looking at the side-by-sides (of the real-time cutscenes) I'd say the only significant downgrade is the hair. Everything else is debatable imo.

jett

D-Member

Goodness gracious...there are more productive things to do with your lives people. This is kinda sad, even if you're just bored at work or something lol.

Does it still make you feel embarrassed?

I don’t know who’s worse, the people that bumped to “discuss” some downgrade no one reasonable would give a crap about or the joke posts baiting/feeding into the bump to get reactions out of people.

Disgusting all of it, makes me embarrassed gaming is my main hobby sometimes.

Stop being dramatic lmao

Calling people disgusting and telling them to go get lives because of video games. Maybe you ought to look in the mirror, buddy.

Looking at the side-by-sides (of the real-time cutscenes) I'd say the only significant downgrade is the hair. Everything else is debatable imo.

Actually looking through some of their portfolio i'm going to guess that i found the proper e3 2014 vs the released version of Drake i was looking for. The interesting part is that it is missing the e3 2014 hair but it's still keeping the higher res textures present in the trailer. I mean to me it looks more detailed in just about everywhere.

2a.png

3.png

There, i think that's the conclusion. There is a clear difference in the model. I hope they introduce this version in the neo patch.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Naughty Dog probably does deserve to be called out for this. They kept obfuscating on it.

How were they obfuscating anything? Its not like it was the only piece of pre-release footage made available!

Its amazing how hard some people are trying to make a mountain out of this mole-hill.

Why should anyone care about an ancient piece of promo-footage, when they subsequently showed off 10+ minute chunks of actual gameplay both from pre-alpha and near final builds?

That's not how you deceive people or obfuscate what your game looks like!

Stop being dramatic lmao

Calling people disgusting and telling them to go get lives because of video games. Maybe you ought to look in the mirror, buddy.
Disgusting?

You're just adding words to what I posted. I would say this is very very unproductive, and I can't see any benefit that will come out of it. That's about it though...dunno what you're talking about with this disgusting

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Really interesting to read the first few pages and read all the "Naughty gods™" posts. Especially the grating ones, "wow ND are just so much further ahead than everyone else."

Disgusting?

You're just adding words to what I posted. I would say this is very very unproductive, and I can't see any benefit that will come out of it. That's about it though...dunno what you're talking about with this disgusting

I don’t know who’s worse, the people that bumped to “discuss” some downgrade no one reasonable would give a crap about or the joke posts baiting/feeding into the bump to get reactions out of people.

Disgusting all of it, makes me embarrassed gaming is my main hobby sometimes.

what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom