• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under Night In-birth Exe:Late |OT| Under Night In-America

OceanBlue

I mean "anime" is a WIDE descriptor. BB and GG are both anime but don't look much alike as far as I'm concerned. I've got NO qualms with anime. It's just that when you can change the hair color of a characters and stumble onto like 20 other anime characters, you didn't try hard enough in the character design stage :p (This is hyperbole of course but I hope you understand my point?)

Sorry, I didn't mean anime in the strict sense. Everyone in this game looks like a character you could easily find in another "chuunibyou" game. The characters who seem more generic are just characters whose designs overlap with other styles of anime and anime games.

Infinite

Sorry, I didn't mean anime in the strict sense. Everyone in this game looks like a character you could easily find in another "chuunibyou" game. The characters who seem more generic are just characters whose designs overlap with other styles of anime and anime games.

yeah this.

If the visual don't vibe with you then that's ok but saying "this looks anime" is a very lazy complaint imo especially when that's how they want it to look.

Crocodile

"Spiced them up" how?

Their silhouettes, their clothing choices, facial structure, hair styles (how many ahoges do we need LOL), etc. I don't think the art style helps them stand out either. Like Araki (of Jojo's fame) is no stranger to tropes in character design but his artstyle REALLY helps his characters stand out compared to others.

I don't know what "chuunibyou" means. Like I guess that's a catch-all term for "air-dasher" or something? I don't think that its a good thing that many characters in this game look like characters you can find in any other similar style of game. I would have liked it if they did more to make some of the cast stand out more amongst the crowd. Again, "anime" covers a HUGE range of styles and designs. I would have preferred if they went off the beaten path a bit for some of the cast. That of course may not be financially viable in the home market but I'm not a shareholder at French Bread Inc. so that isn't my primary concern :p

yeah this.

If the visual don't vibe with you then that's ok but saying "this looks anime" is a very lazy complaint imo especially when that's how they want it to look.

Well obviously they intended it to look the way it does; I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with that statement :p I'm not questioning their talent or competency whatsoever - they done well. I feel I'm being very clear in terms of my critique so I'm not sure how you got "lol animu" out of what I was saying :(

I'm sincerely not trying to hate or offend :( I see Merkava and Waldstien and I see a very unique/interesting designs. I see Yuzuriha and Eltnum and see the tropes that inspire them but I still really like their "sporty/modern" looks and you don't see a lot of long sword or gun characters like them so I'm a fan. But I see characters like Byukaya, Seth, Nanase, Vastisa, etc. and I just start yawning. That's all I'm trying to say.

Infinite

I'm saying criticism like "this character fits into X and Y trope" is really shallow and not actually saying anything. There's nothing wrong with visual archetypes, they aren't good or bad on their own. It's all a matter of how it is executed.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The two highest ranked Ories right now are Nishine (a-cho) and Row, I'd recommend looking for footage of those two.

Cool, thanks for the info! I have no idea who I'll really end up main'n in this game, but I'm definitely interested in her. That might be because Ciel was the character I played most in Melty, and the Nun-style inspirations fit the ideal well...

Yah I think Yoshihara's designs are very malleable, you can tell just because of his illustrations for the birthdays and such with casual clothes and various attire for his characters. mubyou's pixel art is also insane, whatever technology ASW shared with Furapan is amazing, perhaps they should look at taking tips from him for their own games.

Would be an interesting turn of events, haha. Even if Dengeki BFC doesn't animate as well, I'm still impressed they've been able to put out 2 games with such solid spritework so close to each other, while continuing to update both.

Their silhouettes, their clothing choices, facial structure, hair styles (how many ahoges do we need LOL), etc. I don't think the art style helps them stand out either. Like Araki (of Jojo's fame) is no stranger to tropes in character design but his artstyle REALLY helps his characters stand out compared to others.

Much like how Shoto designs are a staple of many a fighter, I think having some of the "safe" character designs in this game really appeal to certain players of games like this, as well. Especially coming from Melty, a game full of characters that looked like they should never be in a fighter in the first place. And they seem to have good fun modifying those more plain designs with things like different leggings, separation of clothing into different color sectors, and making obvious homage color designs with them, as well.

I'm sincerely not trying to hate or offend :( I see Merkava and Waldstien and I see a very unique/interesting designs. I see Yuzuriha and Eltnum and see the tropes that inspire them but I still really like their "sporty/modern" looks and you don't see a lot of long sword or gun characters like them so I'm a fan. But I see characters like Byukaya, Seth, Nanase, Vastisa, etc. and I just start yawning. That's all I'm trying to say.

It's good to have contrast, however. The more acceptable designs make the weirder ones even more fetching, Too much of either would pigeon-hole the game towards one audience or the other. Both sides have their fans though, and I'm glad to see French Bread's take on each. Especially when all their other games are predominately populated by other creator's characters.

And even from a production standpoint, I'm sure it's much easier to make a Sasuke Uchi~ Seth than it is to make a Waldstien or Merkava, in many ways. Chaos is kinda normal, but he has a detailed secondary beast that's part of his base gameplay...

Crocodile

I'm saying criticism like "this character fits into X and Y trope" is really shallow and not actually saying anything. There's nothing wrong with visual archetypes, they aren't good or bad on their own. It's all a matter of how it is executed.

I agree 100% with the bolded. Which is what I've been saying. "Anime school girl" (just as a trope example) isn't an issue; there are 21354353513 ways to do an "anime school girl". "Anime school girl" that doesn't do enough of a good job of differentiating itself from all the other "anime school girls" out there IS problematic. That is what I've been arguing with regards to some (not all) of the cast.

Anne

If anybody is interested in Unreal Black Things hit me up. Me and a friend have already dug up everything on the creature and will be labbing stuff as soon as we get it. You're going to need to know what this character does if you have hopes of dealing with it.

OceanBlue

If anybody is interested in Unreal Black Things hit me up. Me and a friend have already dug up everything on the creature and will be labbing stuff as soon as we get it. You're going to need to know what this character does if you have hopes of dealing with it.

I'll definitely keep this in mind. Merkava seems to have so many pretty effective tools for almost every range. He even has a divekick! Lol, I have no idea what other characters do other than rush him down and bait his reversal super. Hopefully Merkava isn't too much of a scrub-slayer. :(

Infinite

I have no intention of playing it but learning about it in general can't be bad.

OceanBlue

Simple answer, don't use "Anime" as a fuckin descriptor.

I should know better, but I'm so used to using it among people who also use the term for a common meaning. For some reason, I assumed people would know what I was talking about. :(

Nanase seems pretty fun. Her air fireballs seem easy to follow for getting in or for setting up pressure, and her normals seem better than Hyde's at midrange. I haven't seen an anti-air (other than DP?) or a good overhead in the very limited footage of her that I've seen though. It's also really early to say this, but I'm not sure if her pressure will be as good as Hyde's either. I guess we'll see as the character develops!

I guess her dash C might count as a decent overhead. Apparently it has 29 frames of startup but it might be easy to mistake it for dash B or something. :<

Anne

It's definitely going to be a scrub killer the way its normals/pressure/oki works. It's all pretty simple but it blows up mash/throws super hard.

Uraizen

Banned
You're going to need to know what this character does if you have hopes of dealing with it.

All you told me was that you were going to fly around mocking Akatsuki! I'm going to etch that onto his tomb stone.

It's definitely going to be a scrub killer the way its normals/pressure/oki works. It's all pretty simple but it blows up mash/throws super hard.

As primarily an online player, I just smiled.

I agree 100% with the bolded. Which is what I've been saying. "Anime school girl" (just as a trope example) isn't an issue; there are 21354353513 ways to do an "anime school girl". "Anime school girl" that doesn't do enough of a good job of differentiating itself from all the other "anime school girls" out there IS problematic. That is what I've been arguing with regards to some (not all) of the cast.

If you really want shitty anime school/princess/ninja shit in a fighting games, just look at the artworks of Phantom Breaker. That game made a shitty debate on a forum I was on when I said a pumpkin had more charisma and was better designed. :'D

I agree that UNIB is not that different from many other things too to be honest (you mentionned Araki and you are so right). But there's something in the french bread production that only them have. The urban atmosphere, the simplicity of designs at a time where everyone else put tons of details are all herited from Melty Blood and didn't changed that much for years, and that's what is great in this game: he has his own style you can't copy.
And in UNIB what I really like are the different body types you didn't have much in Melty Blood, the non human characters and how certain tropes are executed by exploring some capacities or reducing some ideas to their basic concept. For ex Ori has a foil so she can't do anything than planting it, which bring interesting move ideas and limits you have to get around to actually make the character. Carmine is the "Freeman" trope but explored differently.

I really like the design of this game as in quality, non generic fighting games we call anime, it's one of the most simplistic as welle as elaborate game we had for years.

Edit : so when is the game coming out? I can't wait. :(

Infinite

I mean, mentioning Araki and comparing Jojo's art to this is comparing apples and oranges really. Araki's art and character designs are mainly inspired by real life fashion trends, subcultures, and famous people.

Solune

Cool, thanks for the info! I have no idea who I'll really end up main'n in this game, but I'm definitely interested in her. That might be because Ciel was the character I played most in Melty, and the Nun-style inspirations fit the ideal well...
Nuns and Maids, French Bread knows how to cater! Here's some footage of Row's Orie and Nishine's Orie.
Would be an interesting turn of events, haha. Even if Dengeki BFC doesn't animate as well, I'm still impressed they've been able to put out 2 games with such solid spritework so close to each other, while continuing to update both.
Yah I think Fighting Climax is a solid effort especially with the turnaround time on characters. Despite the missing animation frames the models are close to their counterparts. Not only that, the assists are pretty good too considering they more like "cameos". Though the game system itself leaves something to be desired.
I should know better, but I'm so used to using it among people who also use the term for a common meaning. For some reason, I assumed people would know what I was talking about. :(
Well at this point the word has LONG since lost its original meaning so using it to refer to something can't be harmful. Also I've known you and interacted long enough with you OceanBlue, that I know you don't mean any harm considering you've been following the game since the beginning.
When using it to describe multiple series and acknowledging that they all fall under the same category but then using a catch 22 to state that one is superior to the other? Nuh uh, not gonna fly, at least not in THIS thread.

Some knowledge that some people probably don't know, Mori of ArcSys helped Furapan establish UNI's foundation. One of Hyde's design concepts is literally Ragna because they wanted to make an appealing character, thankfully they scrapped that.
Any plans on dlc for this game?

There isn't any evidence of DLC plans yet... I think we will see an update to the game ala Love Max!!!!! down the road.

Essay

I think I once swore to myself that I'd never get pulled into a non-ArcSys anime fighter, but the stars seem to be aligning for me with UNIEL.

1) The two characters I'm being drawn to the most (Linne and Hilda) appear to cover each-other's bad match-ups and would seem to let me alternate my strengths as a player, so it's very likely I won't hit a wall, get salty and drop the game early... all without the "pick-a-top-tier" guilt that otherwise kills my motivation/ego! :D

2) I've got local players enthusiastic about playing, and an even larger group in the next city over (Montreal) going in hard, so I'll have access to some competition.

3) Its art is neither over-the-top moe or painstakingly bland enough to drain me like the other non-ArcSys airdashers I've seen.

4) Nothing about the gameplay design or system mechanics appears to disagree with me. (In fact, I love the asymmetry in how the movement options aren't universal: only select characters get something extra, like an air backdash, double-jump, high-jump, roll, etc....)

I should get a chance to try this out with people tomorrow, so we'll see if I'm still as enthusiastic about it after that.

Krammy

PSN cards why have you forsaken me. The PlayStation is updated and space has been made, now I play the waiting game.

Great OT, though. Made for a great read as I haven't been following the game closely enough. Even though I'm crap when it comes to fighting games, I'm looking forward to diving in on this and maybe seeing some Gaffer's online for friendly matches!

hao chi

Orie seems a lot more fun than I anticipated; she has some pretty cool looking kicks which I love. Gonna be hard to choose between her, Yuzuriha (my original plan was to main her, probably still will), Eltnum, and maybe someone I haven't tried yet.

Kumubou

Netcode impressions? I probably won't be playing online that much but it's always nice to know. :D
Impressions I've heard from people on IRC is that the game is about as good/bad online as P4A is. So as long as you don't try to play cross-country or anything goofy (like trying to play JP players), you should be OK.

Naite

Only got about 50 min of playtime in but enjoying Eltnum a lot. Really wish I had more time to fiddle with the other characters.

Urge to call in sick tomorrow rising.

Astarte

I am enjoying the hell out of this game. Everything just feels and looks really good, it's just that I have to get used to the "haha I can reach across the screen" game. At least I won against an Akatsuki online, feels pretty good.

Onemic

Are people actually gonna support this game or go back to BBCP after 2 weeks? This will heavily influence my decision to get this game or not.

Anne

Holy shit I knew some stuff in this game was silly but by god I just played online and nobody was ready.

Astarte

Are people actually gonna support this game or go back to BBCP after 2 weeks? This will heavily influence my decision to get this game or not.

I'm definitely going to support this game (unlike BBCP....whoops). I'm actually bound by written contract to.

Lemstar

If anyone's late to the party and wants to get in on a gameshare, drop me a PM. It looks like my initial plan isn't going to be enough for the level of interest, so I'll have some extra slots open.

Qvoth

curiously, this game is cheaper on indonesia psn compared to singapore and even hongkong lol
guess i'll get the game and fix my sticks

Top Bottom