• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothar

Banned
I like how that shitty image makes it sound like the Meereen chapters in ADWD were actually entertaining.

It's not a shitty image, it's a great image, and they were entertaining. The best chapters in the book after Theon. It was so nice to have things finally go wrong for her. And then it went wrong everywhere. Her freed cities are in chaos and the people she left behind hate her for not coming to their aid. The people following her hate her for not letting them in the city. The people of Meereen hate her. Her allies are betraying her. Her dragons are eating kids and have to be chained up. She's under siege. A pirate army is coming to steal her dragons.

It's not a shitty image, it's a great image, and they were entertaining. The best chapters in the book after Theon. It was so nice to have things finally go wrong for her. And then it went wrong everywhere.

Those are all shitty reductionist images that ruin even the valid points that might be made by using such a terrible method.

bengraven

To be honest, I think some of the story would be helped by "bunches" of chapters.

When you have so many povs all across the world it sucks to pick up one story sometimes (a lot of times) hundreds of pages later. You lose some of your investment. Instead, do three chapters together of different POVs in the same area.

I think this is the #1 thing that hurt the last two books.

Moff

That is because it is full of lies. None of that stuff has actually happened in the book yet.

very similiar to the equivalent stannis image
but hey, you have to rely on your wishful dreams for TWOW when ADWD was such a mediocre and boring book

dany had 2 challenges in ADWD, the siege and the harpies, and it was a very good decision to focus on one and cut the other
and the harpies are the much more interesting one, especially when you consider the topic of the book, which was to show the struggles of being a leader, for several POV characters

Lothar

Banned
That is because it is full of lies. None of that stuff has actually happened in the book yet.

The image is about the build up. It says Barristan may have met his match. A new suitor may be able to save her. It doesn't say these things are currently happening. They're about to happen. The anticipation and build up of the battle is vastly superior to the nothingness of her garbage story on Season 5.

It's not a shitty image, it's a great image, and they were entertaining. The best chapters in the book after Theon. It was so nice to have things finally go wrong for her. And then it went wrong everywhere. Her freed cities are in chaos and the people she left behind hate her for not coming to their aid. The people following her hate her for not letting them in the city. The people of Meereen hate her. Her allies are betraying her. Her dragons are eating kids and have to be chained up. She's under siege. A pirate army is coming to steal her dragons.

The concept was good, her conquest had been far too easy, so letting her face the consequences of her actions was great.

How she reverted to a lovestruck teenager fawning for Daario was just too much for me. And it didn't help that for all of GRRM'S tries to flesh out Slaver's bay, it still feels like an over the top caricature of the Orient.

What we really lack is an Essosi POV to ground all that stuff

Are we likely to get a real trailer for S6 when Vinyl premieres? Or somewhere midway through S1 of Vinyl?
They usually run trailers on premiere nights in a bit of cross promotion, so I'd expect to see it then. Late for a trailer, but they seemingly aren't having the much trouble garnering press and buzz in the off season so far.

The image is about the build up. It says Barristan may have met his match. A new suitor may be able to save her. It doesn't say these things are currently happening. They're about to happen. The anticipation and build up of the battle is vastly superior to the nothingness of her garbage story on Season 5.

It's all about to happen... in the next book, that we're getting in 20XX. In the meantime, here's Daenarys lusting after one of the series' most one-note characters and interacting with various characterless, interchangeable people, and Tyrion going on an utterly uninteresting journey, stripped of all the characteristics that made him slightly interesting and interacting with characters that, Jorah aside, you're given absolutely no reason at all to care about. In terms of Essos, ADWD is all sizzle, no steak, and is overwritten to hell and back- trimming back all that to the essentials is exactly what GRRM should have done himself.

Aside from all that- even given GOT's relatively enormous budget and relatively expansive runtime, it's not going to be able to adequately depict the siege of Meereen as depicted in the books. Cutting it down to the Sons of the Harpy and bolstering their impact while saving the cash for other, more interesting setpieces like Hardhome was far, far, FAR away the better idea, even if you can quibble about how some of it was pulled off.

Lothar

Banned
It's all about to happen... in the next book, that we're getting in 20XX. In the meantime, here's Daenarys lusting after one of the series' most one-note characters and interacting with various characterless, interchangeable people, and Tyrion going on an utterly uninteresting journey, stripped of all the characteristics that made him slightly interesting and interacting with characters that, Jorah aside, you're given absolutely no reason at all to care about. In terms of Essos, ADWD is all sizzle, no steak, and is overwritten to hell and back- trimming back all that to the essentials is exactly what GRRM should have done himself.

Aside from all that- even given GOT's relatively enormous budget and relatively expansive runtime, it's not going to be able to adequately depict the siege of Meereen as depicted in the books. Cutting it down to the Sons of the Harpy and bolstering their impact while saving the cash for other, more interesting setpieces like Hardhome was far, far, FAR away the better idea, even if you can quibble about how some of it was pulled off.

I'll agree that Tyrion in ADWD was dull and should have been cut entirely. You never ever believed it when he was in danger. The show did a good job there.

Terrible one with Meereen. Her being crazy and unlikable (Examples: Her having a huge issue about needing to have a trial then burning a person to death 2 episodes later without a trial. Making a braindead decision to have a public execution at the worst possible time) was as annoying as her fawning over Dario. Dany, the character, is lame in the book and lame in the show. Yet Meereen was an intriguing clusterfuck in the books. Pretty boring in the show. The show gave us a embarrassingly bad hissing scene, Barristan dying a pointless death in an alley, Dany forcing a guy to marry her against his will which appeared to solve all of her problems until episode 9, and Grey Worm romance.

We've had a big awesome battle last season. There's no reason why we can't have one this season. I haven't read spoilers so I don't know if there is one. Don't tell me. I would prefer the next battle to something in Meereen with a different setting involving dragons and pirates and Dany, Tyrion, and Jorah.

Everything leading up to the battle could be done without needing to see anything - the way the show was already doing Meereen. Advisors coming to Dany telling her how fucked up everything is getting. That's mostly what I would want to see. Their reactions to everything going wrong and figuring out what the hell to do. That would have been more entertaining than Dany's story the past season.

I mean, just compare where the book is right now to where the show is right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KeMMtYi2Vk Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVJa4Fl34l4 Book

How can anyone not think the book is in a better place?

So with Varys in Meereen, who will be the one who kills Kevan?

If there is no Aegon, there is no need for Varys to deliver the final blow, and his speech. If he still is to die, the little birds can kill him and a quick cut to Varys would be all that's needed to show who's responsible.

If there is no Aegon, there is no need for Varys to deliver the final blow, and his speech. If he still is to die, the little birds can kill him and a quick cut to Varys would be all that's needed to show who's responsible.

Yep. Also, they could still have him show up in KL (maybe he leaves Tyrion high and dry in Meereen during the siege) to off Kevan to clear the way for Dany instead of Aegon?

not really on topic but how are the books wheel of time? does it compare to game of thrones? getting tired of waiting for the book and want to read something else

not really on topic but how are the books wheel of time? does it compare to game of thrones? getting tired of waiting for the book and want to read something else
Feel free to make a new thread if you'd like, but this isn't really the place for this kind of tangent. Alternatively, take a look at one of the older "Should I read the Wheel of Time books?" threads, of which there are a few. e.g. here and here.

axb2013

So with Varys in Meereen, who will be the one who kills Kevan?

Set locations were spied on a lot during shooting days.
I've seen pictures of a Meereen scene that was described as farewell between Tyrion and Varys, the latter leaving while Tyrion has to deal with the consequences as Meereen is under siege.
I've found a link describing the scene but still can't find the direct source I initially learned about it: http://www.hngn.com/articles/136818...ilers-tyrion-deals-with-famine-in-meereen.htm

Euron

Set locations were spied on a lot during shooting days.
I've seen pictures of a Meereen scene that was described as farewell between Tyrion and Varys, the latter leaving while Tyrion has to deal with the consequences as Meereen is under siege.
I've found a link describing the scene but still can't find the direct source I initially learned about it: http://www.hngn.com/articles/136818...ilers-tyrion-deals-with-famine-in-meereen.htm
So does this mean we're getting
the Battle of Meereen
in the show? If we do it will probably end up in Season 7.

axb2013

So does this mean we're getting
the
in the show? If we do it will probably end up in Season 7.

That would be my guess though it may be jammed into season 6. Some guesswork and extrapolations from circulating spoilers:
Meereen is under siege, famine and disease are pressing concerns. Daenerys needs Drogon to start up a BBQ and convert Dothraki to registered Democrats at which point, she returns to Mereen commanding the Dothraki army to break the siege on Meereen.
Considering the extension of the show you are probably right about
Battle of Meereen
taking place in S7.

Really hoping we get a full trailer here sometime soon. The lack of Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones news since the last season has been disheartening. No new theories to discuss or dig up, nothing.

mantidor

Oh interesting.

We are getting these houses' banners voiced over by the people who brought them down, or in the case of Dany the one who will bring her down this season I guess, so... either the Tyrells and the Vale win the iron throne or they will barely appear this season. :p

I really hope not, specially for the Tyrells, I don't want them to just forget how big of a deal is that Margeary and Loras are imprisoned.

Ugh, Ramsay.

I've made peace with the fact the show runners swear they have fleshed out an awesome villain for some strange reason because I'm sure it will be all the focus this season.

Iksenpets

Banned
Oh interesting.

We are getting these houses' banners voiced over by the people who brought them down, or in the case of Dany the one who will bring her down this season I guess, so... either the Tyrells and the Vale win the iron throne or they will barely appear this season. :p

I really hope not, specially for the Tyrells, I don't want them to just forget how big of a deal is that Margeary and Loras are imprisoned.

I've made peace with the fact the show runners swear they have fleshed out an awesome villain for some strange reason because I'm sure it will be all the focus this season.

I don't think you need to worry about the Tyrells. The promo shot of Jaime a few posts back loaded with Tyrell soldiers definitely implies a major role for them.

Ugh. Yep, exactly. Book Ramsay was such a good fucking villain, and one of my "favorite" (read: most creepy and compelling) characters. Show Ramsay is like the showrunners tried to clone Joff with none of Jack Gleason's charisma.

NeoGiff

The Dothraki one is brilliant. I forgot how guttural and threatening it sounds, and whoever is talking has good delivery.

The Lannister one was ok, I guess.

The Winterfell one pissed me off, because once more D&D are proclaiming their undying love for a "badass" bastard no one else likes.

The Dothraki one is brilliant. I forgot how guttural and threatening it sounds, and whoever is talking has good delivery.

The Lannister one was ok, I guess.

The Winterfell one pissed me off, because once more D&D are proclaiming their undying love for a "badass" bastard no one else likes.

You are aware it's very unlikely David & Dan are hands on with marketing teasers from the network? :p

Agreed the Dothraki one is the best though, I'd kind of forgotten how badass the dothraki dialect sounds.

NeoGiff

You are aware it's very unlikely David & Dan are hands on with marketing teasers from the network? :p

Agreed the Dothraki one is the best though, I'd kind of forgotten how badass the dothraki dialect sounds.

I am aware, but the direction his character has taken, and hence that line in the teaser, can be traced back to them :p

Why do some people have a problem with television show Ramsay in comparison to book Ramsay?
In the book, Ramsay is a chubby weirdo who likes to torment the weak and vulnerable. In the show, he's an invincible tactical genius, with a crack squad of good men (each of which is also an invincible, invisible and silent ninja), and who's bare chested presence alone us enough to strike terror into thr hearts of even the most fearsome Ironborn and takes on an entire army wearing only a leather jerkin.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I still love Ramsay...the show needs a psycho and once Ramsay dies...I really hope Euron can fill his place.

shira

Hype!!!

3 more months

Which will come out first GOT6 or Mighty No 9

t1461546000z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom