• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn developer: sales “surpassed expectations,” sequel is being talked about

DigSCCP

Thats very nice for them!
Saw a lot of people asking for a new IP, man this dont even make sense.
Its hard to put a new IP on the market,its hard for a new IP make success and its even harder if you imagine this IP is made by a 'unknown' studio with bad marketing.
Even tho Supermasive did it.
So obvioisly they should stick with the brand!
Like a saw some guys saying I really think they should go for the 'American Horror Story model'!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I was about to post some impressions in the OT after finally picking the game up, only to accidentally click on this thread and possibly get a
Hannah
spoiler. For fuck's sake. "Duuuur I hope we get more
Hannah
"

Hopefully it's just another weirdo waifu obsession and not people being too stupid to know how to use spoiler tags.

score01

Yes, this is great news. Played it twice already and loved both playthroughs. I do hope they keep using the Killzone engine because it seems to lend itself so well for the beautiful and at the same time creepy atmosphere Super Massive created. Again, great news.

Did not know this was the killzone engine. Im just staring chapter 7 of my first play through and can't stop thinking about how awesome an old school RE game (like ReMake) would be using this engine with everything fully 3d rendered instead of pre-rendered.

zarmena

Very happy for these guys, especially since the game has done well sales-wise. Considering it was barely marketed, that's quite a feat. I thought it was a unique experience. Kind of reminded me of my time with Heavy Rain in that sense.

Vitor711

This was $40 at Best Buy yesterday - not sure if that was a daily deal or not but I'd highly recommend it, especially if anyone has the 20% off GCU membership.

Stanng243

Oh gawd, don't call it 'Until Dawn' 2. Hopefully this is just what we're calling it until something solidifies, because....

The story could continue without calling it Until Dawn...2.

Unless we're going to see more of
Hannah
in the sequel - there's nothing in the game that warrants such a naming convention.

And even considering a premise that involves everyone who survived - and even if Supermassive is taking notes from games like Mass Effect with previously saved game data, enumerating games instead of naming games just seems a bit inadequate, and lazy...just saying ;)

Until Dawn : [put subtitle here]

You should really spoiler tag that name.

Another excerpt from the upcoming full interview...

Supermassive Games Comments on Sony’s Lack of Marketing Push for Until Dawn

PlayStation LifeStyle: Leading up to release, what were your thoughts on Sony’s marketing for the game — a question we asked Shuhei Yoshida as well. Did Supermassive feel that it wasn’t being marketed as heavily as other first-party exclusives?

If a game is quite different to what’s come before, it must be difficult to know exactly what to do, who to aim the marketing at, and what the message should be. Even if the strength of the push wasn’t as big as we’d have liked, there was a huge amount of creativity in the way that Sony promoted Until Dawn.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ames-comments-dawns-lack-marketing-push-sony/

I think Sony were very unsure as to how good the game would actually be, even more so after The Order came out, which I think they genuinely believed would be a critical darling. They just weren't willing to put the marketing dollars behind a product that could potentially bring them more embarrassment.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ames-comments-dawns-lack-marketing-push-sony/

I think Sony were very unsure as to how good the game would actually be, even more so after The Order came out, which I think they genuinely believed would be a critical darling. They just weren't willing to put the marketing dollars behind a product that could potentially bring them more embarrassment.

Thanks for linking! :)

We posted this the other day where Supermassive confirmed that no Until Dawn VR edition, and "not ruling out" DLC.

Full interview will go up tomorrow. We asked about the franchise being an anthology thing, how Let's Plays affect sales (if it does), transitioning from PS Move development to PS4 and more.

It's certainly a good interview since PR didn't meddle in any way.

Holy balls at the spoilers being dropped on this thread! I know the game isn't considered new, but man, I'd still spoiler tag some of those.

I might replay this again just to save some people and kill some. I hated that C died because of that girl that liked him screwed him over by not letting him in.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thanks for linking! :)

We posted this the other day where Supermassive confirmed that no Until Dawn VR edition, and "not ruling out" DLC
VR would never have been possible here. The frame-rate is just too low. They couldn't have pulled it off. A VR version would have to be redesigned from the ground up as a new game.

KyleCross

I was about to post some impressions in the OT after finally picking the game up, only to accidentally click on this thread and possibly get a
Hannah
spoiler. For fuck's sake. "Duuuur I hope we get more
Hannah
"

Hopefully it's just another weirdo waifu obsession and not people being too stupid to know how to use spoiler tags.

Don't worry, I'm not sure why that person is talking about her. You find out more about
Hannah
throughout the game, but
Hannah
is quite dead.

Impulsor

Oh gawd, don't call it 'Until Dawn' 2. Hopefully this is just what we're calling it until something solidifies, because....

The story could continue without calling it Until Dawn...2.

Unless we're going to see more of Hannah in the sequel - there's nothing in the game that warrants such a naming convention.

And even considering a premise that involves everyone who survived - and even if Supermassive is taking notes from games like Mass Effect with previously saved game data, enumerating games instead of naming games just seems a bit inadequate, and lazy...just saying ;)

Until Dawn : [put subtitle here]
Plot twist.

Until Sunset.

Until Dawn 2 would be an instant buy. I'd love for them to continue that mythology they created in the first game whether it's on the mountain or not.

leehom

Great game, definitely a sleeper.

Was sold after I watched someone stream the whole game. Reminds me of those books where you choose your own path and you could reread it to go through different paths for different outcomes.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

So did any of the people at Sony actually play the game?

I would love a sequel, but how would you name it?
A name brand I do like is the Romero dead trilogy. The title of Night of the Living Dead to me suggests the dead's first strike, an isolated incident. The Dawn of the Dead suggests this is where shit's about to hit the fan, are you prepared for it? The Day of the Dead suggests now the living are the minority, it's the dead's turn to rule.
So for these films, "of the dead" is the brand. So if it was to follow this idea, what is Until Dawn's brand, is it the "Until" or "Dawn"? For example, the sequel could be "........ Dawn" or "Until ........".

adapipika

Banned
:)

Thankfully, Until Dawn still sold very well and even managed to exceed Supermassive’s sales expectations even if the marketing isn’t as solid as it should have been. In related news, Samuels also mentioned that they’re not ruling out DLC for Until Dawn, but that they need to find the right context for it.

Sam climbing DLC? :p

Game Informer did an interview with the creative director (Will Byles) and here are some points brought up on it

- The choice to drop Move support was based on several factors. The first was that they felt that there was an outpouring of support from PS gamers about dropping Move in favor of traditional controls. The second is that during debugging they saw how beautiful the game looked when it was seen from a third person perspective (which meant the PS3 version was FP). And lastly, the PS4 was around the corner.

- With the shift to PS4 they still kept the general themes of the originals plot. But when they brought Larry Fessenden and Graham Reznick on board to rewrite the script, they made it a little darker while still keeping the charm of the original script.

- The shift to PS4 also meant that they dropped some actors and kept others. They also added the Analyst. As a result they also reshot everything.

- He's asked about any ideas that didn't make the cut and says that at one point one of the characters was planned to be pregnant. But they found that was too distracting. He wouldn't mention who it was or who it was with.

- This one is going to be spoilery, so don't click if you haven't completed the game.
The interviewer mentions that he felt that Emily was the one character that was irredeemable, Will laughs and says that she's actually his favorite character. He feels that with her sorts losing her status (she was part of the power couple of the group since she was with Mike) that she's trying to put on a strong face within the group now. But he thinks in the end she's one of the saviors of the night. He also says that she has the best arc of all the characters.

- Another spoiler.
In development they thought that the decision to allow you to choose between shooting Ashley or Chris was pointless as they felt that everyone would just choose to shoot Chris. But when they started playtesting they found that it was actually more like 50/50.

- They're going to continue to make games like Until Dawn. But he notes that while he loves horror he feels that there are a lot of other genres suitable for this type of game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Game Informer did an interview with the creative director (Will Byles) and here are some points brought up on it

- The choice to drop Move support was based on several factors. The first was that they felt that there was an outpouring of support from PS gamers about dropping Move in favor of traditional controls. The second is that during debugging they saw how beautiful the game looked when it was seen from a third person perspective (which meant the PS3 version was FP). And lastly, the PS4 was around the corner.

- With the shift to PS4 they still kept the general themes of the originals plot. But when they brought Larry Fessenden and Graham Reznick on board to rewrite the script, they made it a little darker while still keeping the charm of the original script.

- The shift to PS4 also meant that they dropped some actors and kept others. They also added the Analyst. As a result they also reshot everything.

- He's asked about any ideas that didn't make the cut and says that at one point one of the characters was planned to be pregnant. But they found that was too distracting. He wouldn't mention who it was or who it was with.

- This one is going to be spoilery, so don't click if you haven't completed the game.
The interviewer mentions that he felt that Emily was the one character that was irredeemable, Will laughs and says that she's actually his favorite character. He feels that with her sorts losing her status (she was part of the power couple of the group since she was with Mike) that she's trying to put on a strong face within the group now. But he thinks in the end she's one of the saviors of the night. He also says that she has the best arc of all the characters.

- Another spoiler.
In development they thought that the decision to allow you to choose between shooting Ashley or Chris was pointless as they felt that everyone would just choose to shoot Chris. But when they started playtesting they found that it was actually more like 50/50.

- They're going to continue to make games like Until Dawn. But he notes that while he loves horror he feels that there are a lot of other genres suitable for this type of game.

Them adding the Analyst was SUPER crucial to my liking the game. The analyst is totally what hooked me early and kept me playing because his acting was just so enjoyable to watch. I'd be curious to see which actors got dropped out.

I agree about Emily, she was great. Emily actually reminded me a lot of my sister when she was a teenager. SUPER bitchy, but Emily did it in a really over the top way and managed to be clever while being THE WORST.

I would hate for another genre to supercede another horror game because I think the format suits the genre really well, but I'd still be interested to see what else they'd do.

Zemekis11

Banned
Like some other posters already said, I really like how this interview isn't
censored
to hell by PR guys. Been getting really tired of that.
I'm looking at you FFXV

Rymuth

PlayStation LifeStyle: On that note, what does Supermassive think of an anthology theme for Until Dawn? Say, having the same cast of actors but in a different story, setting and roles?

This is one of many suggestions that fans of Until Dawn have been tweeting. As I’ve said, we do listen carefully to the feedback from fans and always consider how that should influence what we do. I’ve also said that we’re already working on our next thing but we’re not ready to talk about that just yet.
I'd actually love for the actors to come back. Doubt Rami Malek would, given he's a big hit with Mr. Robot, but keep Peter Stormare and Ella Lentini

Somebody should create a GAF Poll to vote on the best character in Until Dawn. I would love to see the rankings on which character was GAF's favorite and GAF's least.

KORNdoggy

I don't think Emily's actress was necessarily bad, she was just a cold stunted bitch and I think it was almost impossible to warm to her.

i thought emily really came across as a bitch. but i guess that was the intention. i thought she was putting on the annoying "everything sounds like a question" inflection but then i watched the behind the scenes and she sounds the same. so annoying. lol

El-Suave

All thanks to our lord and saviour PewDiePie

Honestly, with all the Youtube coverage I expected the sales to be even better so that they'd probably give out a landmark number. I assume we're not there yet to make such an announcement. Heavy Rain did well without Youtube so the audience for "interactive drama" is there on Playstation. That title probably had a bigger TV marketing push, but I don't know why everybody is so surprised at Until Dawn's success.

Somebody should create a GAF Poll to vote on the best character in Until Dawn. I would love to see the rankings on which character was GAF's favorite and GAF's least.
I'd say Mike and Sam were my favorites. Least favorite?
The Wendigos, because they were so scary. Haha!
Seriously, it's probably Matt. He was the least developed and was pretty much a "yes" man with Emily. It's hard to respect that.

Top Bottom