• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn new previews and gameplay

Eggbok

Need to have that as a gif response, lol

BitterFatherlyGibbon.gif

Out of all the upcoming games this one looks like one of the more interesting ones. There have been some good horror games lately so hopefully this continues that trend. Also a lot of effort has gone into dat ass lol

9iutnQT.jpg

As fun as this seems, I think it would've been perfect to release this during Halloween, but considering that period is so stacked with big time releases, it does make more sense to release it in August, especially if its ready. No point in holding off on release. I just hope they do a fun marketing campaign during Halloween, as it seems like a great Halloween game.

Bowl0l

To @gaf who preordered very early

NA PSN preorder game page is finally updated.
Release date is updated and the game description mention inclusion of bonus scene for preorders.

wapplew

I was on the fence, but day 1 and black out mode now.
Hope they fix the frame rate, not that it's important for these kind of games, just want to have better experience overall.

I know it will probably recieve very mediocre reviews, but I'm really excited for it. It at least seems like a cool idea that's trying something a little different.

iratA

I think it's going to review surprisingly well.

It looks much better than many thought it would. Reminds me of Heavy Rain/Beyond (in a good way) I might get this day one now. Hope it doesn't scare me too much, I'm a little weak when it comes to these types of games lol.

The game actually have way more gamey element than I initially thought. I was ready for a straight forward adventure game with occasional branching path. But the game had a lot of gamey element like relationship meter between character, hidden items with clues of upcoming events, the interview scene where they ask you questions that we assume will affect the game story.

Basically, there seems like a lot of element that determine what story or experience you'll get, it's not from a simple multiple choice options

It looks much better than many thought it would. Reminds me of Heavy Rain/Beyond (in a good way) I might get this day one now. Hope it doesn't scare me too much, I'm a little weak when it comes to these types of games lol.

Yep, if Heavy Rain can get good reviews, why not this one? It looks pretty on par with Heavy Rain - maybe even better.

Man, imagine if they (Supermassive) could make another Doctor Who game with the graphics of Until Dawn. As a fan of horror movies and some games, and games like Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls, I'm most likely getting this!

Danny seemed to like it a fair bit, so that bodes well.

I just don't want to get my hopes up and start believing it'll be a good game when it could really go either way right now, especially with Supermassive's track record in mind. I fully expected The Order to be a winner and look how that turned out. Not that I thought it was a complete stinker either, but it definitely disappointed on some level. I suppose, in a way, it's to Until Dawn's benefit that there isn't a downpour of hype following it everywhere. If expectations are kept low then that's better for everyone, regardless of the outcome.

Danny seemed to like it a fair bit, so that bodes well.

I just don't want to get my hopes up and start believing it'll be a good game when it could really go either way right now, especially with Supermassive's track record in mind. I fully expected The Order to be a winner and look how that turned out. Not that I thought it was a complete stinker either, but it definitely disappointed on some level. I suppose, in a way, it's to Until Dawn's benefit that there isn't a downpour of hype following it everywhere. If expectations are kept low then that's better for everyone, regardless of the outcome.

The Order never looked good.
And Until Dawn seems like it knows exactly what it wants to be, unlike The Order.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
The first time I saw this game was in Gamescom 2012. Back then it was supposed to be a Move controlled PS3 game and the presentation looked cheesy as hell. Last week I went with two pals from my website to check the preview, and now I'm actually pretty excited to see the rest of the game.

It's a bit clunky at points, facial animation is creepy, and voice acting ranges from pretty bad to pretty good. But those Peter Stormare bits are awesome, and the choices you make seem to actually affect the story. There's also a nice touch to the QTEs: Dualshock speaker makes this ticking sound to alert you that you need to react.

This is exactly like a dumb horror flick that you want to watch with friends while downing a few beers. And I really want to see, how the story continues.

8 hours per playthrough is actually longer than I expect. this kind of genre didn't have core action gameplay mechanic like other game that can be repeated and usually fill most of the total game length.

in this game, you're going straight from cutscene to cutscene with choices and QTE in between, even the exploration for finding some clues/hidden item seems pretty simple and straightforward. I probably expect the length to be around 5-6 hour per playthrough.

Just hoping it's not a 8 hours game.
You can't sustain this stuff for much longer than like 5ish hours. Most horror movies are less than 2 hours (mentioned basically to say that they are shorter than your average big budget movie), especially the horror movies that a game like this is drawing from.

If it's even 8 hours, I bet it gets crushed in reviews for "wearing out its welcome" and "dragging on."

hesido

You should get a job in PR with that thinking

8 hours of content for a single play through is more than sufficient and surpisingly lot, given the amount of work they have to do for multiple animations for each and everytime a choice has to be made even when they string to the same knot in the story, along with butterfly effect consequences means a heck lot of work for the dev. It's the nature of the beast for this type of game. (Edit, yes, I think 8 hours may be a bit too long for constantly tryting to up the tension.)

Bradach

I wrote this game off when i first saw it but watching some of the previews I think i'll pick it up. maybe not day one but at some stage definately

Ledhead

I don't think I will day 1 this because I'm really making a conscious effort to cut back on buying games full price ever since the Canadian Dollar tanked. Still really interested this, and I do plan to pick it up down the line, maybe around Halloween?

eXistor

I'd be completely fine with a 5-hour playthrough if if meant multiple playthroughs are completely different. I have no idea how long a single playthrough is btw, just saying.

Top Bottom