• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Update: Phil Spencer says no 4K mandate, devs can make 1080p game with Scorpio]

This is all that needs to be said really, especially when Spencer's already said that developers are free to use the 6TFs however they want. Once we get closer to Scorpio's launch they'll obviously change their tune.

I remember seeing this video, and this makes more sense. Too a lot of people though having a 4k console play in a 1080p screen might feel it makes no sense, not everyone is as tech savvy to understand down sampling and all that other jazz and the benefits.

So I just think ms wanna stick that 4k message.it would be stupid for MS to restrict devs on using the power how they see fit. I do understand the confusion but marketing .

Probably just should of said, console is capable of 4k gaming but can also really push 1080p/60fps which seems to be the case. It's really not that concerning. MS is just bad at messaging at times.

I thought there was gonna be a downsampling option or a frame rate increase, or extra graphical effects like increased draw distance for people without a 4K tv?? Basically there's no incentive if you don't have a 4K set

If developers are forced to create scorpio games at 2160p30, that's really going to stifle the potential for visuals to scale on the PC port.

SPCTRE

Check out the Samsung JS9000 if it's in your budget. Very, very low input lag for a 4K UHD set (better than most HD sets) at 22ms in game mode. I have the 65" and gaming on it is unreal. I couldn't be happier and I'm notorious for being super picky with this kind of stuff.
thanks, will do!

Ppl saying nope to this...isnt the Neo and the PS5 basically the same thing? Dont you need a 4K tv to see the differences vs the PS4?

Like when I got my first 360 I still had a SD tv and it was a huge difference when I finally got an HDTV.

Uh oh...lol.

What the hell is a PS5? According to the leaked stuff, Neo would have "Neo mode" for games which would involve some kind of improved performance/res/etc and has nothing to do with gaming at 4K.

Assuming this whole thing isn't just a misunderstanding, PS4 Neo would be an upgraded PS4 in every sense of the word. It'd support 4K for UHD BR and streaming, but the improved tech specs would be about improving PS4 games to run better, rather than bumping the native resolution to 4K (which, based on leaked hardware specs, wouldn't be practical).

While the XBO stuff would mean the S model is just a slim version (plus adding UHD/4K streaming support) and the Scorpio is an upgraded version meant for 4K TVs that unlike the Neo would be using its power entirely to run games at 4K.

It's that last bit that sounds dubious to me, but MS has done some weird shit before, so who knows.

I think there are simply too many mixed messages being thrown around. They should've revealed the consoles, settled on a unified stock answer for them, and let the consumer decide how they want to fit these consoles into their homes. This is a bit messy, and I refuse to believe there will be no advantage without a 4k TV.

Come on MS..

LordRaptor

Is this the turning point for the creepy "I believe in Phil Spencer" GAF contingent to see him less as the man of thier dreams and more of the PR spokesperson who says just enough for you to fill in the blanks as what you want to hear?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Like I said yesterday, speculations about the specs was silly as we had no price point.

Now it seems they confirmed we'll get a premium price console above the usual $400

Wow. If Scorpio offers nothing but higher rendering resolution what's the point?

I mean 4k is nice but he's making this sound like the box will be $600 or something.

If the neo can come in at $400 and offer tangible performance and visual upgrades at 1080p it will look like a more attractive product for most people I think.

I suspect that's Sony's plan. No way the Neo is over $400.

Tigress

I ought the Scorpio also was for if you wanted to do vr? They specifically had that mentioned in the announcement trailer. Did he forget about that or was that a lie? They already said Xbox one can't do it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
No it isn't, PS4 neo will have 4K video output but games will target 1080p/60, maybe even 1440p/60....

So Phil is really saying this wont be possible or is it just worded funny..serious question.

From the leaked docs, Neo sounds like more of a middle ground. Sony expects some 4K games ('more pixels), but also suggests higher fidelity/framerate @ 1080p for more intensive games ('better pixels'). Houses comments talk about 'prettier games' and 4K 'content' - which to me suggests the 4K slant to Neo will be a bit more about general media content than games.

PS5 ought to offer more pixels AND better pixels. Not simply PS4-fidelity at 4K.

What the hell is a PS5? According to the leaked stuff, Neo would have "Neo mode" for games which would involve some kind of improved performance/res/etc and has nothing to do with gaming at 4K.

Assuming this whole thing isn't just a misunderstanding, PS4 Neo would be an upgraded PS4 in every sense of the word. It'd support 4K for UHD BR and streaming, but the improved tech specs would be about improving PS4 games to run better, rather than bumping the native resolution to 4K (which, based on leaked hardware specs, wouldn't be practical).

While the XBO stuff would mean the S model is just a slim version (plus adding UHD/4K streaming support) and the Scorpio is an upgraded version meant for 4K TVs that unlike the Neo would be using its power entirely to run games at 4K.

It's that last bit that sounds dubious to me, but MS has done some weird shit before, so who knows.

Maybe not the Neo but the next PS console as far as 4k.

Yea its getting confusing now. Thanks for the quick responses.

NZerker12

So basically:

XBO - 720P -1080P 30fps on 1080p TV
Scorpio - 4K 30fps on 4K TV
Scorpio - 1080p 30fps on 1080p TV

If this is how it is going to be I can see why it would be waste without a 4K TV.

GHG

Gold Member
Yes for people with 1080p tvs. I whole heartedly agree. But the inverse can be applied for those that have 4K tvs. The Scorpio will be the more attractive product.

Scorpio will be as much a 4K gaming console as the Xbox one is a 1080p gaming console.

I give it about 2 hours till Phil regrets that statement and revises it.
There is no way that thing is doing native 4K for all of their games. He is just trying to his damndest to keep the hype train going that SCORPIO WILL BE THE MOST POWERFUL SYSTEM EVER!! YOUR TV'S CANT EVEN HANDLE IT!

buenoblue

I was asking in the scorpio thread if scorpio would just be the same games in 4k. Guess I got my answer. I have a 1080p oled that I'm not getting rid of anytime soon so no buy for me. Guess I was right to back pc this gen (i7 6700k 780ti sli) as it's so flexible.

Don't like the sound of this.

6tb of power and all I can have is Xbox One games at 4K. Wanted to be blown away but with just a resolution bump that's not gonna happen.

timlot

Banned
This is just proof why Sony's business mentality is way ahead of Ms's and why Ms will never be as successful. If you don't have a clear road paved ahead just stfu and don't confuse your consumers like this, especially when you've got another console coming up in the next months.

And some still wonder why Sony is so quiet about Neo.

WTF! I realize the memo has been sent out today downplay Scorpio, but this statement is ridiculous. Microsoft is a $400 billion dollar company. Sony''s market cap is around $35 billion. MS just drop $26 billion (all cash) on LinkedIn like nothing. I know gaf is video game bubble but gees.

Huh??? But it's like 4 times more powerful I thought?

It's not like they've reached the limit of how good a 1080p game can look on Xbone. And what about framerate?

What am I missing? How on Earth would it not improve something on a 1080p TV?

admittedley,'specs' are not my most knowledgeable area...

Swass

buying a UHD/4K TV was on my list way before Scorpio anyway (Black Friday-ish), duh

I need the UHD TV as a pro-Scorpio argument for the wife anyways, I need to justify a second XBONE (and later a second PS4) :p

I suggest checking out the Vizio 2016 P series.. lowest input lag of any 4k TV, full array local dimming opposed to Samsung inferior edge-lit panels, and very kind to the wallet.. best bang for the buck.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think there are simply too many mixed messages being thrown around. They should've revealed the consoles, settled on a unified stock answer for them, and let the consumer decide how they want to fit these consoles into their homes. This is a bit messy, and I refuse to believe there will be no advantage without a 4k TV.

Come on MS..

Yea this is what I was trying to say. Like with a 4k TV you would get the full effects of the differences but on less than 4k you should see some too, just not all.

Or is Phil effectively saying no Scorpio mode for XBO games?

Yea...someone said it yesterday...its almost like 2013 all over again...

As someone with a 4K TV I have zero interest in this if it's going to just be current gen assets output at 4K. The difference IMO is minimal and only even noticeable if I'm sitting right in front of the screen (which I obviously don't do). How is this even going to be possible for developers? Sounds like it'll just stunt game development for another 5 years or so as they'll be forced to output in 4K, leaving them with no room to make anything more advanced than what we have right now. I'd be much happier with 1080p, 60fps and the power put towards things that actually matter like in game assets, AI and building more advanced games.

KageMaru

This makes no sense, what if I wanted to buy one for VR?

Also assuming games get some sort of resolution bump over the XBO, wouldn't they look sharper regardless of what TV I had? PS4 games at 1080p looked better than PS360 games at 720, even on my 720p TV.

WTF! I realize the memo has been sent out today downplay Scorpio, but this statement is ridiculous. Microsoft is a $400 billion dollar company. Sony''s market cap is around $35 billion. MS just drop $26 billion (all cash) on LinkedIn like nothing. I know gaf is video game bubble but gees.

image.php

Is this the turning point for the creepy "I believe in Phil Spencer" GAF contingent to see him less as the man of thier dreams and more of the PR spokesperson who says just enough for you to fill in the blanks as what you want to hear?
He should have worn more t-shirts.

Actually, he should have worn 4,000 t-shirts that'd have been funny.

So basically:

If this is how it is going to be I can see why it would be waste without a 4K TV.

This is exactly what he said!

Setting Scorpio to 1080p output won't make games run better if they are native 2160p

That may have been hyperbole, but you have to admit MS's messaging for much of this console generation has been a mess.

goonergaz

That doesn't make sense. Computers don't really work that way and also current gen games are already struggling with that slow CPU.

what do you mean? the logic is that CPU is usually linked to FPS whereas GPU to pixels and effects etc, hence stating the only difference is noticeable on a 4K TV suggests no FPS improvements

gamz

No. He's still the man.

willbsn13

Don't like the sound of this.

6tb of power and all I can have is Xbox One games at 4K. Wanted to be blown away but with just a resolution bump that's not gonna happen.

Agreed. I mean surely they wouldn't put all this power in a new box just for 4K XB1 games? I think there will be some Spencer back tracking after this comment.

Yes for people with 1080p tvs. I whole heartedly agree. But the inverse can be applied for those that have 4K tvs. The Scorpio will be the more attractive product.

not really, i'd take a beautiful 1080p game over a decent looking game in 4k.
if it's really just a xbox one game in 4k, i'll gladly pass on that.

What's the point of 4k gaming if it runs at 20fps? Why would they focus the messaging on power if all that is used for is VR and 4K? Strange statement.

JaggedSac

So basically:

Look at Forza Apex and you will see where MS is heading in terms of automatic scale-ability of graphics.

buenoblue

Yeah I experimented with a panasonic ax802b 4k tv with my 6700k 780ti sli pc. Could only run games @4k30 which I did not really like. Sold panny and bought a 1080p lg ec930v oled and am so much happier. Every game 1080 60 basically. If scorpio is same games at 4k 30 then that's a no buy.

Top Bottom