• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Update: Phil Spencer says no 4K mandate, devs can make 1080p game with Scorpio]

Steejee

I fully expect in a year from now they show games that are running at 1080p on Scorpio with other enhanced visuals of some sort and they'll contradict this statement.

Just came to mind though, when PS Neo was leaked and talked about 4K gaming/content. I did see quite a few saying time to upgrade to a 4k TV. how is this that much different if it turns out to be the case (which it won't). Maybe I'm missing something? Did minds changed?

Bobnob

I always wonder, has anyone actually played anything in 4K and just assuming it doesn't make a difference? Because even something as simple looking like World of Warcraft feels like a whole new game once you switch from 1080p to 4K. It makes a big difference!
Cool story bro!

I've missed a lot so pardon me if this has already been answered. Are they saying that the Scorpio won't add any performance boost to games if I decide to use one in 1080p? Or are they rather saying that the Scorpio won't support 1080p resolution? I'm lost.

The first one you said: no performance boost to games in 1080p

Tadie

How will they follow suit? Reduce the power of their console so they can sell it at cheaper price that will be comparable to the NEO? How does that help them.

They must give a benefit to the 1080p community. The market share is too huge.

Otherwise NEO will stomp Scorpion with 1080p 60FPS beauty.

KORNdoggy

I've missed a lot so pardon me if this has already been answered. Are they saying that the Scorpio won't add any performance boost to games if I decide to use one in 1080p? Or are they rather saying that the Scorpio won't support 1080p resolution? I'm lost.

more the former. i'd assume you'd get a super sampled image at 1080p since it would be downscaling a 4k feed to 1080p?

The solution: don't announce a console that only exists on paper 1.5 years in advance if at the same time you have to lie to your customers to keep selling your slightly upgraded old console.

Jeez what's going on in their heads at MS?
Sony must be starting to laugh their asses off.

It was a huge mistake. I fully believe they expected Sony to show Neo and it looks like Kaz played them again 'This time YOU go first!'.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

It'll certainly plug into a 1080p TV - he's suggesting you won't see that much of an improvement, that their goal is to have enough power to take XB1 games and run them at 4K res.

It sounds like they are saying the Scorpio will focus on getting games to run at a true 4K resolution and only that. They won't be using the power to upgrade performance of games or frame rate (the Scorpio just won't be powerful enough to be true 4K and also improve those other things).
So if you buy a Scorpio and hook it up to your 1080 TV, it will work but you wont see a performance change.

DjRalford

I always wonder, has anyone actually played anything in 4K and just assuming it doesn't make a difference? Because even something as simple looking like World of Warcraft feels like a whole new game once you switch from 1080p to 4K. It makes a big difference!

Yes, everything is sharper, try playing GTA V on console settings at 4K, it's not a massive improvement due to lack of on screen detail.

GTA V at ultra 4K down a rainy street at night is beautiful enough to almost make you cry though.

I get where your coming from but let's be honest, if you've seen true 4K content it is pretty stunning, so saying that a game running at 4K will still look and run like an Xbox one game is really dismissing how great 4K can look and what it can add to a game.

I do agree that MS shouldn't prioritize it over frame rate and better performance but let's not act like 4K isn't impressive.

i have seen and played true 4k, i have a set and a PC capable of running it.
i know it's nice but it's not worth it if it's still a standard XB1 game at heart.

if this is true then we still have XB1 shadows, lightning, framerate, etc.. that's what i meant with "still looks like an XB1 game".

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Cool story bro!

Stupid reply, and you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Everyone on PCs that switches to 4K doesn't want to go back to anything else. Most people I know are pc gamers and they prefer 4K/60fps at lower settings than going back to 4k.

Just came to mind though, when PS Neo was leaked and talked about 4K gaming/content. I did see quite a few saying time to upgrade to a 4k TV. how is this that much different if it turns out to be the case (which it won't). Maybe I'm missing something? Did minds changed?

PS4 Neo was never meant for 4K Gaming

It will have just 4K video output like the Xbox One S

Of course it will be able to upscale games to 2160p

willbsn13

The message is simple:

Xbox One S is the affordable choice for 1080p gaming.

Project Scorpio is the premium choice (read: expensive) for 4K gaming early adopters.

At the end of the day you are playing the same games on the same network on the same OS. Project Scorpio is for pixel counting enthusiasts.

This.

Bobnob

Yes, everything is sharper, try playing GTA V on console settings at 4K, it's not a massive improvement due to lack of on screen detail.

GTA V at ultra 4K down a rainy street at night is beautiful enough to almost make you cry though.
So this is using a gtx980 or somthing equivelent* ??

Raylan

Banned
The message is simple:

Project Scorpio is the premium choice (read: expensive) for 4K gaming early adopters.

At the end of the day you are playing the same games on the same network on the same OS. Project Scorpio is for pixel counting enthusiasts.
Yep. Maybe some small performance upgrades here and there, but overall.... yep.

GHG

Gold Member
It was a huge mistake. I fully believe they expected Sony to show Neo and it looks like Kaz played them again 'This time YOU go first!'.

It's basically a case of "you reveal first, we will see how the market reacts and then we will destroy you by playing every card right" all over again.

You would think Microsoft would have learnt from last time but no. This is a reskinned Xbox One Mattrick reveal.

They must give a benefit to the 1080p community. The market share is too huge.

Otherwise NEO will stomp Scorpion with 1080p 60FPS beauty.
I agree. My point is, if MS does that then both consoles will be running at 1080 60. The Scorpio is more powerful than the NEO and thus will cost more. If they are just trying to run games as the NEO will (1080 60) then they will have to reduce the power so they can match the neos price point. If they do follow suit and both consoles are pretty much equal, how does that help Microsoft at all?
What would change that would make people buy a Scorpio versus a NEO?

Sydle

Am I missing something? Why all the confusion from you guys? Nothing in that article contradicts what he said in his E3 presentation where he said Scorpio is a 4K and VR-ready console being added to the Xbox One family.

It's also agreeable with the press release, which states:

Project Scorpio will be the first console with 6 teraflops of power, which will empower the world’s greatest game creators to fully embrace true 4K gaming without sacrificing quality, generate premier VR experiences, without sacrificing performance, and putting greater graphic fidelity in the hands of the world’s best game creators.

Best of all, Xbox One, Xbox One S and Project Scorpio will all be compatible. All Xbox One games and accessories will play on each device. It’s very important to us that no one gets left behind, which is a big part of why we view Project Scorpio as a new way of thinking about consoles and generations.

DjRalford

Stupid reply, and you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Everyone on PCs that switches to 4K doesn't want to go back to anything else. Most people I know are pc gamers and they prefer 4K/60fps at lower settings than going back to 4k.

Thats completely irrelevant, even on high PC settings to hit 4k60 it is graphically superior to anything on XBONE.

i have a 4k set and a pc capable of powering it and i still don't think it's worth to push 4k if you leave everything how it is now.
i only go up to 4k because everything else is great, if it wasn't i'd stay at 1080p

DJwest

The first one you said: no performance boost to games in 1080p

more the former. i'd assume you'd get a super sampled image at 1080p since it would be downscaling a 4k feed to 1080p?

It'll certainly plug into a 1080p TV - he's suggesting you won't see that much of an improvement, that their goal is to have enough power to take XB1 games and run them at 4K res.

It sounds like they are saying the Scorpio will focus on getting games to run at a true 4K resolution and only that. They won't be using the power to upgrade performance of games or frame rate (the Scorpio just won't be powerful enough to be true 4K and also improve those other things).
So if you buy a Scorpio and hook it up to your 1080 TV, it will work but you wont see a performance change.
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'm getting the S since I have no intention to buy a 4K TV anytime soon. The big appeal for me would have been 1080p and 60fps for all games.

There is no doubt in my mind there will be (if there already isn't) a marketing team huddle to get this hashed out. This quote by Phil will likely be walked back by Phil himself very soon.

The message is simple:

As a dev, i've been saying that this was most likely going to be what we were going to end up with in regards to the Scorpio if the direction they were going was true 4K gaming.

iceatcs

I think it is how forward compatibility work. Can't have 2 different runs on the engine.
Both (Xbox One and Scorpio) games will be the same engine.

So likely there will be only way downsampling to 1080p for non-4K TV. It will be better IQ than run on Xbox One (Sub-1080p). It could be very unlikely to have different framerate or graphics on 1080p or 4K.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
How is it with the current consoles? If i set a ps4 to 720 does any game offer enhanced performance?

I know that GT5 has a more stable performance if you set ps3 to 720p at OS level.

Would it be the same case with Scorpio, where the ball is in the developers hand?

Scorpio bring Xbox fans hope and dreams, something they can latch on, that's what they trying to accomplish.

Yes, but who is the announcement targeted at? Are they attempting to halt existing XB1 owners from jumping ship to PS4K?

If so, it seems like a bad move because I imagine they will lose far more XB1 and Slim sales as a consequence of this reveal than they would lose loyal fans to the PS4K if they had waited to announce to Scorpio.

Not to mention how badly they are botching the messaging of this reveal.

Ehh that doesnt sound good. However I do agree that 4K is going to be a big push coming for both gaming and media content.

I might purchase the Xbox One S then.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This makes no sense to me and offers Sony a chance to destroy MS again. Does he really mean to say if I don't have a 4K TV, I will see no benefit from this new 6TF system? That's just crazy, like...on a Jim Carey level.

I'm 95% sure if Sony say Neo is for all TV's, MS will also follow suit.

Well, if nothing else its giving Sony's marketing department plenty of food for thought on how best to avoid the pot-holes in the road when announcing NEO.

Its so weird to me how complete the reversal has been since the 360/PS3 gen on this front, starting to wonder that one of the reasons its critical to get the lead early on is because of how hard it is to avoid mixed and confusing messaging when trying to gain ground, whilst the leader can simply take a reactive stance.

The weird thing is that the better Sony have done this gen, it feels like they've actually "said" less in a marketing sense. Crazy really.

Is this some known effect? Any marketing grads on GAF know if there's a theory to this phenomenon?

As much as i love Xbox and everything they do, i hate this kind of bullshit. Why does Phil Spencer first say it will all be up to developers how they use those 6tflops and now in this new interview completely turn around and say....no 4K TV? Not worth it for you. I just don't get the reasoning behind this at all. Fuck man...why do they have to do this and ruin our excitement instantly?

If they actually press on with this, and it's essentially just for 4K, Sony can really one up them big time once again. Something i had not expected.

Markoman

Self-quoting myself from yesterday:

I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but what if Scorpio is strictly a 4K dedicated console.
I was in all those pre E3 threads about Scorpio and Neo and the majority of us was assuming that the new consoles will do better framerate, effects and so on.
Unless there are not offering settings options a la Last of Us remaster, will a person with a HD TV even benefit from the extra power?
The Scorpio will be between 3 and 4 times as powerful as the PS4, which is the requirement for native 4K as much as I know, meaning there's not much left to do other stuff let alone 60fps.
So XboxOne will be the console for HD TV owners and Scorpio the premium model for 4k TV owners. When it comes to games - they will be exactly the same - only the res output will be different 1080p/4K

If true, I'm not interested...let's see
Scorpio - 500$
4K TV - 750$
Rift - 599$
----------------------
roundabout 2 grands

I need a new job / marry a wealthy elderly lady / rob a bank / join Somalian pirates to sustain my hobby

jeffc919

Really sounds like a ploy to me to make the X1 and X1 slim appear more attractive since the Scorpio won't be out for a while. Ultimately, it's going to come down to what the devs decide to do with the more powerful hardware and many of them will opt for better graphics and effects at 1080p, higher or more stable frame rate, etc. rather than pushing everything to 4k. Also if Neo has specs that are somewhere south of what 4k requires in many cases, I think that will tend to push many multiplat games in the direction of maxing out 1080p rather than have 1 tier for PS4/X1, another for Neo, and yet another for Scorpio. I'd expect more subtle differences between Neo and Scorpio, much like PS4 and X1 today. Just a guess anyway.

iceatcs

How is it with the current consoles? If i set a ps4 to 720 does any game offer enhanced performance?

I know that GT5 has a more stable performance if you set ps3 to 720p at OS level.

Would it be the same case with Scorpio, where the ball is in the developers hand?

More stable may not enough.

I think we are talking about something like 1080p@60 or 4K@30. That what we like to see.

This is bizarre. Another year of confusing messaging. I'm surprised they're not opting for the neo-mode route. Turn slider settings up for 1080p output games or at least aim for a better frame rate while keeping the assets, lighting, etc the same.

Itll certainly increase performance of games regardless of TV, though I think to get the best results and what this device is meant for is 4K gaming. He did say that theyre giving devs a headstart so they can prepare for release, so you know devs are going to try and get as much as they can out of the extra power.

Odd comment though since its pretty obvious more power means better performance.

Caddle

What the hell is going on here? Come on people, I think we know enough of how this technology work to be asking such stupid questions.

20cent

Banned
Wow i'm so confused, I don't have a 4K TV, I was going to get it day one on November 2nd 2017, I've already bought my bus ticket for the big day, what should I do... help me gaf

you don't even know what you are going to do the next hour, chill out

Yoday

This sounds like just a poor choice of words, I need to check out the entire interview when I get a chance for context. Just yesterday he said that developers could choose to not aim for 4K and use the extra power for other effects. I can't for the life of me remember which interview it was, there have been so many. These kinds of answers tend to come from a desire to simplify a message after being asked the same question over and over by a single interviewer who just isn't getting it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The thing I don't understand about it is that the specs still aren't enough to run games with high detailed graphics at 60fps@4K. So, you're still not going to be getting what's being billed even if you have the television.
Nah, it's easy to understand. They say that for Xbox consoles all the games will be backwards and forwards compatible. If that is true, do you think developers are going to optimize their game for Xbone and Scorpio at the same time? Nope. So are they going to throw in the kitchen sink for Scorpio and then have some generic downscaled mode for Xbone? Nope. They're going to make their assets on the disc/DD for Xbone and then Scorprio is going to run those same assets at 4k 60fps. That is also the only thing that would make sense for current games that weren't made with Scorpio to be able to move forward. If they have the support for devs to bridge between consoles, it should be a pretty simple patch on the old games.

TheExodu5

Banned
This can't be 100% true.

If you're running Scorpio on a 1080p set, one of three things need to happen:

1) The game renders at its 4K equivalent and downsamples, netting you better image quality.

2) The game renders at its 1080p equivalent, netting you a more stable frame rate.

3 The game renders specifically for Scorpio @ 1080p, netting you better visuals and frame rate.

1/2 require no work and result in a net, although minor, benefit.

Sydle

As much as i love Xbox and everything they do, i hate this kind of bullshit. Why does Phil Spencer first say it will all be up to developers how they use those 6tflops and now in this new interview completely turn around and say....no 4K TV? Not worth it for you. I just don't get the reasoning behind this at all. Fuck man...why do they have to do this and ruin our excitement instantly?

If they actually press on with this, and it's essentially just for 4K, Sony can really one up them big time once again. Something i had not expected.

Where did he say that?

Are you referring to what Shannon Loftis said, which she already corrected?

He literally said in an interview with Major Nelson that developers could use the 6tflops for whatever they want. The new statement is also misleading because the console is also made to power VR games, so that's another use for it other than 4k gaming.

jelly

I guess that means Scorpio is going to be named Xbox One 4K or something like that since they can't exactly show a distinction between the platforms with a non 'One' name change if they are true to their word.

Top Bottom