• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated numbers show PS4 selling twice as much as XB1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno whether this thread is still on the topic of sales but I really hope the 3 consoles can sell well in the long run. The X1 and WiiU are both good systems so I would like to see them enjoy more prominent success. PS4 is just beasting along. Once the library fleshes out in a year or two I'm curious to see just how many sales it can gather.

I'll remind you that this little exchange started with me saying "Microsoft had the better big games this year". That was the genesis of this back and forth with torque.

Sony's baseball game is fantastic, but I feel like it only gets trotted out for list wars when someone needs a +1. It's never going to win GAF's GOTY, nor would it ever win any major websites GOTY. It's just kind of it's own thing. Great, but rarely part of the larger gaming discussion. I didn't consider it a "big game" when making that original statement.

So only GOTY contenders count when discussing exclusives. Got it.

And talking about remakes of old games like TLOU don't count. Except when you're talking about remakes of even older games, like Halo.

No wonder you're regarded the way you are.

Booshka

I would need a Shadowrun 2 on Xbone to get me to buy the console. I am already getting a Demon's Souls 2 (Bloodborne) with PS4, so that is where I am going. PC will fill in the rest, along with some of the Xbone exclusives that eventually land there.

PS4 just seems like the console to go for this gen.

Fuck irrational babies who bought a system because it was more powerful at the same price, and because they like joining the winners party of the bestselling platform doubling the support of the nearest competitor.

They should care probably more about ephemeral stuff. Like OS advantages, or first year exclusives. So that when the rival OS gets updated and the exclusives start showing, they just don't have any other stupidity they can use to make an ass of themselves on the internet. Sounds like the intelligent decision.

The whole point of that statement was the irrational part. Plenty of people can buy these consoles and not become irrational in the process.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
To whom? To what extend?

Any game that sells well is on topic for this discussion. The antecedent for this dumb exclusives are mega important narrative isn't even established but then jump one further and discount actual sales takes dumbness to a whole new level.

Why the need to use the word dumb/dumbass, we're all trying for intelligent discussion here.

From a sales standpoint, that's great that they could reuse the title.

But from the view of having original content appear on my shiny new console, not a rehash to plug some revenue hole in a sales quarter, I could give a shit; it's way more important and it's what matters for game players. To have new exciting games to play, not counting boosted sales numbers.

Kayant

But H2 does, and H2 is the big one. This is H2's 10th anniversary and it does include changes. No one expected to get 1, 3 and 4. Well until the ntkrnl leak, but prior to that. Everyone knew Halo 2 was coming, with changes to it. the other 3 are just like, the chocolate piece on top of a nutella cupcake.

No one even expected 1, 3 and 4. Take it from someone who's main forum prior to the invasion of Desticles was Bungie.net. Everyone was expecting Halo 2. Halo 2 is the big one, the whole point of the MCC. 1, 3 and 4 are extras. I don't have a comment on them, because I'm not buying the MCC for them. It's for Halo 2, those 3 games are just thrown onto the big kahuna which is Halo 2 anniversary.

Are they lazy upports? Yes. But they're tacked on to the bigger title with all the updates. I can call those lazy uninspired, but whats the point when the center piece is Halo 2 which is getting plenty of additions. And I guess Halo CE has online on a console for the first time ever, and maps that were only accessible on the PC ver.

Doesn't really matter what you or others expected still doesn't change the fact Halo 3/4 are lazy with your logic. It being in the collection with H2A doesn't change that. If you want to compare things fairly better to judge it against something like an Uncharted collection if it get's released which will actually be comparable otherwise for what Last of US:R is as a remaster comparable to what as been released apart from Metro redux. It's does it's job well as a remaster and achieves the goals it set out to do.

Biker19

Banned
“I wish we had a button that was like ‘Turn On PS4 Mode’, but no,” creative director Neil Druckmann says. “We expected it to be Hell, and it was Hell. Just getting an image onscreen, even an inferior one with the shadows broken, lighting broken and with it crashing every 30 seconds… that took a long time. These engineers are some of the best in the industry and they optimised the game so much for the PS3’s SPUs specifically. It was optimised on a binary level, but after shifting those things over [to PS4] you have to go back to the high level, make sure the [game] systems are intact, and optimise it again.​

“I can’t describe how difficult a task that is. And once it’s running well, you’re running the [versions] side by side to make sure you didn’t screw something up in the process, like physics being slightly off, which throws the game off, or lighting being shifted and all of a sudden it’s a drastically different look. That’s not ‘improved’ any more; that’s different. We want to stay faithful while being better.”​

http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-last-of-it-naughty-dog-on-bringing-the-last-of-us-to-ps4/

Feel free to educate yourself on what the process was actually like.

I seem to be one of the few people who sees video game remasters as a proof-of-concept validation of whether the developer's code could be better optimized/abstracted and for how well the underlying tools adapt to a newer platform.

It's like watching some of the development transition issues my company had in migrating from XP to Windows 7 and finding out that critical software to make our medical devices run weren't working on Windows 7.

Thank you for this, people saying remasters don't take work are kinda showing they don't know how game development works.

Also agree. TLOU: Remastered certainly wasn't a "lazy cash-in" like some people believe. Porting games directly from PS3 to PS4 is hell, especially when a developer like ND are using all 8 SPU's of the cell processor on PS3 just to get games looking to where they are on that platform.

If a Uncharted Collection comes about, the process would probably be the same way.

MercuryLS

Banned
Sony deserves every sale, they made all the right moves with PS4 and MS spit in the face of the gaming community with the XB1 and have over time tried to make amends. If you compare exclusives, it's a subjective thing. As a PS4 owner I even admit that MS has more exciting exclusives this year (Titanfall and Sunset Overdrive), but I know that Titanfall 2 will be on PS4 and SO is an Insomniac IP that could (and probably will) go to other platforms too. MS has some good exclusives but very few of them are true exclusive franchises and among those fewer still are only on Xbox and not on PC as well. People have very short term memories, while I feel like 2014 has been a bit of soft year for Sony's own 1st party output (for the type of titles I like), I know that overall they will produce the highest number and quality of 1st party exclusives over the course of the entire gen. Do people not remember the blockbuster exclusives that Sony was releasing late last gen on PS3? Those teams were tied up on those projects and are now getting fully going on PS4. Meanwhile on XB360 the last half of that machine was terrible from a 1st party perspective and some of those late titles became launch XB1 games (Ryse, DR3). MS is seen as the 1st party hero cause they pushed 360 titles to the One and opened their wallets more to money hat some 3rd party titles like Titanfall and Tomb Raider, but people are so quick to forget how they abandoned X360 and milked Gears, Forza, Halo for the latter half of that machines life. Like I said before, people have short term memories. Sony is far more consistent than MS from a 1st party perspective, if you want to cherry pick 2014 as the year to prop up MS and denigrate Sony, go ahead. This generation is long and I have no doubt that Sony will be the most consistent all the way up until the next gen.

Also agree. TLOU: Remastered certainly wasn't a "lazy cash-in" like some people believe. Porting games directly from PS3 to PS4 is hell, especially when a developer like ND are using all 8 SPU's on PS3 just to get games looking to where they are on PS3.

If a Uncharted Collection comes about, the process would probably be the same way.

Well, the big thing of TLOU and MCC was getting the engine over, working then upgraded too. Hopefully with the engine now ported, ND can port the Uncharted games a little easier.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Also agree. TLOU: Remastered certainly wasn't a "lazy cash-in" like some people believe. Porting games directly from PS3 to PS4 is hell, especially when they're using all 8 SPU's on PS3 just to get games looking to where they are on PS3.

But is that reason enough to pay money again for a game that came out, was played, enjoyed and praised already?

It's money and effort wasted on both the developers and the gamers when there could have been a new game to play.

Sure, Sony projected the success of TLOU still had good sales legs to appear again on a new console, but that's a corporate decision for corporate benefit.

Because that even goes back to the Halo 2 argument. That's a game that's two generations behind. Gamers have actual nostalgic value attached to that, so it makes sense for both the corporate side and the gamer. TLOU we played less than a year ago at the time of the Remastered release.

The troubles, time and costs they went spent on porting the game over doesn't equate to getting the game to those select few people that didn't have either a friend's PS3 to play it when it came out, or Sony's PlayStation Now up and running TLOU at launch for PS4.

Servbot24

Banned
But is that reason enough to pay money again for a game that came out, was played, enjoyed and praised already?

It's money and effort wasted on both the developers and the gamers when there could have been a new game to play.

Sure, Sony projected the success of TLOU still had good sales legs to appear again on a new console, but that's a corporate decision for corporate benefit.

Because that even goes back to the Halo 2 argument. That's a game that's two generations behind. Gamers have actual nostalgic value attached to that, so it makes sense for both the corporate side and the gamer. TLOU we played less than a year ago at the time of the Remastered release.

The troubles, time and costs they went spent on porting the game over doesn't equate to getting the game to those select few people that didnt't either borrow a friend's PS3 to play it when it came out, or Sony not having PlayStation Now up and running at launch for PS4.

Just give the trilogy to a rookie developer to get their feet wet working with PS4. Supervised by ND of course.

Also agree. TLOU: Remastered certainly wasn't a "lazy cash-in" like some people believe. Porting games directly from PS3 to PS4 is hell, especially when they're using all 8 SPU's on PS3 just to get games looking to where they are on PS3.

I think a reason why people have started to call remasters as "lazy ports" is because we have heard other developers talk about how easy it was to just get their PS3 game running on a new platform with the push of a button.

If the code was designed properly in the first place, then sure, hitting the "magical port to Vita or PS4" button is understandable. Thing is, many games use custom in-house engines as opposed to more readily available middleware. When you have heavily customized systems, it easily becomes a nontrivial task to migrate the code to another platform.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

The troubles, time and costs they went spent on porting the game over doesn't equate to getting the game to those select few people that didnt't either borrow a friend's PS3 to play it when it came out, or Sony not having PlayStation Now up and running at launch for PS4.

I can't even process how you can't see that your perspective is not shared by lots of other people.

Hyunashi

While I certainly think Sony have an appalling first year as a publisher, part of the reason for that is because they've done so well they haven't had to try. I imagine The Order would be shipping this holiday if Sony felt they needed it.

Pretty much this. It just seems like they laid back this year and still came out with a growing, dominating lead. Next year will be incredible for Sony with their lineup and a potentially massive E3 if we just think of their first party studios that can make announcements (+ the potential FF15 release date).

I am still pretty amazed how well Sony has done with meager first party output (they essentially pushed things back), but it goes to show that 3rd parties are massive.

The MCC is a bit more than just a remake...

But it is just a remake.

BiGBoSSMk23

Just give the trilogy to a rookie developer to get their feet wet working with PS4. Supervised by ND of course.

Are you talking about Uncharted? I guess that's on the way too, huh?

They shouldn't rush/give that too much priority. Focus on getting your AAA first party up to snuff first.

The way Driveclub came out and buzz The Order has failed to generate only tells me Sony's not diverting their resources/setting their priorities wisely.

EDIT: Think if, hypothertically, the manpower invested in TLOU:R had somehow been used to help out small teams like Evolution and RAD. Santa Monica and ND seem like massive power houses compared to the other two. Sony's first party studious should have some sort of cohesive management team that decides where to move around manpower.

Right now it feels lopsided.

These giants (SSM/ND) churning out small games or remasters while we wait for their "A-teams" to show us their games.

So wifey dragged me to the mall and lo and behold right in the middle is a Surface branded SUV with fold out TV's allowing folks to try SO, Madden, and Horizon 2. Pretty damn smart on MS part.

After years of incompetent marketing for their hardware (think Zune, Windows Phone, etc) they're finally learning.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Why the need to use the word dumb/dumbass, we're all trying for intelligent discussion here.

From a sales standpoint, that's great that they could reuse the title.

But from the view of having original content appear on my shiny new console, not a rehash to plug some revenue hole in a sales quarter, I could give a shit; it's way more important and it's what matters for game players. To have new exciting games to play, not counting boosted sales numbers.
I didn't say "dumbass". I call that argument dumb by this point because it's been used but nobody has actually offered any evidence that there is actually any correlation.

It goes so far that if you follow some posters' reasoning that it's actually detrimental to have good exclusives because some don't count while the system that doesn't have them sells better.

And I don't know why this is suddenly about you. This thread is still about world wide sold-in numbers for the consoles that are mentioned in the thread title, not what you find great or not. I assumed you were on the same page when discussing this.

Special C

I think it's pretty obvious that the MCC is a little bit more than a typical resmaster. The value proposition is just off the charts. That being said, I have no interest in it myself but I'm not blind to the fact that its a pretty incredible package.

Biker19

Banned
Well, the big thing of TLOU and MCC was getting the engine over, working then upgraded too. Hopefully with the engine now ported, ND can port the Uncharted games a little easier.

I think that's definitely the case, especially when ND (or someone else like Bluepoint Games) have to port over 3 mainline Uncharted games over to PS4.

Only Halo 2 on MCC is a proper remake. The rest are just uprezzed ports (Halo: Anniversary, Halo 3, & Halo 4).

The troubles, time and costs they went spent on porting the game over doesn't equate to getting the game to those select few people that didn't have either a friend's PS3 to play it when it came out, or Sony's PlayStation Now up and running TLOU at launch for PS4.
What about people who never owned a PS3? According to Sony's own research a large percentage of PS4 owners did not own a PS3. Giving them a chance to play one of the best games of last generation(and dare I say all time) is not as useless an endeavour as you would like to portray.

It's the same games, redone. The level to which bells and whistles have been attached and what that means for its fans versus the fans of another remade game is a semantic debate. And I refuse to waste my time and yours having a semantic debate.

A thing is what it is. The MCC is a remake. Or a collection of remakes, if that makes you happier.

No, that is a terrible idea.

You want to start the rookie developer off by having them get a well-documented module migrated to the PS4 and then increase the level of difficulty.

Throwing something huge and complicated at a rookie without any bearing on where to start is simply a colossal waste of everyone's time.

I think it's pretty obvious that the MCC is a little bit more than a typical resmaster. The value proposition is just off the charts. That being said, I have no interest in it myself but I'm not blind to the fact that its a pretty incredible package.

It's a remaster of one game with some other touched up games included in the package. It is dope as shit, but still just a remaster. Value proposition has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Pain

Banned
So only GOTY contenders count when discussing exclusives. Got it.

And talking about remakes of old games like TLOU don't count. Except when you're talking about remakes of even older games, like Halo.

No wonder you're regarded the way you are.
Its kinda ridiculous how done people are praising the Xbox One exclusive lineup when it really is nothing special either.

BiGBoSSMk23

I didn't say "dumbass". I call that argument dumb by this point because it's been used but nobody has actually offered any evidence that there is actually any correlation.

It goes so far that if you follow some posters' reasoning that it's actually detrimental to have good exclusives because some don't count while the system that doesn't have them sells better.

And I don't know why this is suddenly about you. This thread is still about world wide sold-in numbers for the consoles that are mentioned in the thread title, not what you find great or not. I assumed you were on the same page when discussing this.

I'm using myself as an example of a gamer reasoning where to put his money based on what's available.

I'm not really interested in comparative pieces/ pissing contests. Microsoft has a rock solid line up. Some good variety but maybe lacking in indies. Nothing to fret over, I'd be satisfied if only owned an X1.

Sony's major first party landmarks this year off the top of my head have been Second Son, TLOU and DRIVECLUB.

One was highly enjoyable but barebones, the other is diamond in the rough... rough.

TLOU though, I don't particularly give too much credit to simply based on the principle that is a "too soon" rehash to plug a hole. In spite of how challenging it was to port over, that doesn't make it an original next gen game.

TLOU could have been a bullet point for their streaming service (PSNow), not their entire console.

King_Aragorn.PNG

igdq0C2eKGIyl.gif

Rolf NB

Cross-gen games like this are about eliminating potential cannibalization. Consumers can get quite confused when they hear about a)this awesome new PS4 thing, b)this awesome game that is on an older platform. Particularly consumers who didn't own a PS3 and maybe now want to get in on that Playstation stuff.

Making it available for both systems means the software and hardware both pull in the same direction again.

BiGBoSSMk23

What about people who never owned a PS3? According to Sony's own research a large percentage of PS4 owners did not own a PS3. Giving them a chance to play one of the best games of last generation(and dare I say all time) is not as useless an endeavour as you would like to portray.

You didn't read the full post, did you?

This isn't good guy Sony gracing those poor bastards that missed out on their masterpiece, this is Sony the corporation, looking to extend the game's sales.

The answer to that problem is either get a PS3, get PSNow.

MAX PAYMENT

Definitely doesn't feel like it where I'm from. I Know 2 people with ps4s, and everyone else I know that gamrs are all on Xbox. I'm curious to know the region breakdown.

Kayant

Who is we exactly? Also if Sony's figures are to be believed it's certainly not just a select few -

Some 31% of people who have bought a PlayStation 4 had an Xbox 360 or Wii but not a PS3 in the last hardware generation, PlayStation's American VP of marketing John Koller told me in an interview here at L.A. this week
http://kotaku.com/sony-nearly-a-third-of-ps4-owners-only-had-a-wii-or-xb-1589874564

Personally am happy it exists as someone who didn't own a PS3 I can experience the game now in a better package when I get a PS4.

Hyunashi

Its just a remaster with insane value. I dont believe anyone thought KH1.5 and KH2.5 were anything beyond remasters, they just offer incredibly good value.

Booshka

Funny thing about the MCC is that Halo 2 Classic is still going to be the best way to play Halo 2 MP on Xbox Live. H2A MP isn't all that impressive, it's the singleplayer remaster with the new cinematics that is impressive, not the MP.

In which case it falls in line with the rest of the collection, being uprezzed versions of the Original games.

You didn't read the full post, did you?

This isn't good guy Sony gracing those poor bastards that missed out on their masterpiece, this is Sony the corporation, looking to extend the game's sales.

The answer to that problem is either get a PS3, get PSNow.
Or buy a $60 version with improved performance and DLC on the console they just bought. Do you also have irrational hatred for GOTY edition games?

You had to include a sports game and a remastered game from 2013. You also forgot Fantasia which has a Metacritic of 80, and Halo which is coming out in a couple weeks.

You both should go re-read what I just said. Because there are so many PS4 only owners here, that means by default there are that many more irrational babies who get upset when I say obvious things about the shortcomings of the PS4 OS, and the exclusive games being pretty poor so far.

I expressed no surprise in their being more PS4 owners, and most of them are perfectly rational and acknowledge it's shortcomings.

That list is worthless in the context of a discussion about the PS4 and XB1.

You're really reaching for Greenfear, aren't you?

Funny thing about the MCC is that Halo 2 Classic is still going to be the best way to play Halo 2 MP on Xbox Live. H2A MP isn't all that impressive, it's the singleplayer remaster with the new cinematics that is impressive, not the MP.

In which case it falls in line with the rest of the collection, being uprezzed versions of the Original games.

Right but the epicness of the Halo and what with the controller and better online infrastructure and the whatnot.

Xbox Won!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Or buy a $60 version with improved performance and DLC on the console they just bought. Do you also have irrational hatred for GOTY edition games?
Small correction: It was $50

I think Rapier should have his own thread where he judges every decision by every company and then allows them or not. As he says in his own post, he isn't interested in a comparison in a thread that is based on a comparison.

Special C

I've come to the conclusion that people are scared of Sonys success.

I'm not going to lie, As an Xbox One owner I want the console to sell better. Increased user base is only a good thing for a console owner. It makes perfect since to want the console you own to do well.

But honestly, Sony has done a good job with the PS4 and deserves the success.

BigDug13

The game is running at 2x+ the framerate of the PS3 version, so it already plays better than the original. Also the PS4 in the U.S. has stolen a ton of Xbox 360 gamers this generation who have most likely never experienced TLOU, Uncharted, etc.

BiGBoSSMk23

Cross-gen games like this are about eliminating potential cannibalization. Consumers can get quite confused when they hear about a)this awesome new PS4 thing, b)this awesome game that is on an older platform. Particularly consumers who didn't own a PS3 and maybe now want to get in on that Playstation stuff.

Making it available for both systems means the software and hardware both pull in the same direction again.

That's fair, but if that colossal effort Neil Druckmann expressed it was to get a separate team to port their entire engine from PS3-PS4 was instead used to deliver a new game with the Naughty Dog logo slapped on it there would have been variety instead of cannibalization. TLOU rocks on PS3, brand new, smaller Naughty Dog game on PS4.

Better planning, right? Instead of saying, "Well, this game rocks. I want it on PS4 as well, get to it." Say "I want this small team to put together a Jack and Daxter spin off for 2014"

It's a matter of thinking risky and creative with foresight instead of thinking safe and profitability guaranteed.

The game is running at 2x+ the framerate of the PS3 version, so it already plays better than the original. Also the PS4 in the U.S. has stolen a ton of Xbox 360 gamers this generation who have most likely never experienced TLOU, Uncharted, etc.

I think we owe that to Microsoft publicly declaring "Fuck you, we own your discs" on their E3 stage more than the TLOU-effect.

jem0208

But it is just a remake.

Yep, it's one remake and 3 ports.

Comparing it to the TLOUR...

TLOUR contains a 1080p 60fps port of the previous game, with a photomode.

The MCC contains:

- 1080p, 60fps port of CEA campaign.
- 1080p 60fps port of the original CE multiplayer.
- 1080p*, 60fps completely remastered Halo 2 Anniversary campaign. Including almost an hour of Blur CGI cutscenes.
- 1080p 60fps port of the original Halo 2 multiplayer.
- 1080p 60fps port of Halo 3
- 1080p 60fps port of Halo 4
- 1080p 60fps brand new Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer, with 6 remade Halo 2 classic maps. And 3 forge worlds.

That's 4 campaigns, 2 completely remastered and 5 multiplayers, 1 brand new, with over 100 mp maps.

All connected with one UI which can load up each respective engine from one menu, meaning you can finish a game on H2A and then start playing CE classic without even pressing a button etc. The UI also has campaign scoring and speedrunning leaderboards, because why not.

Oh, and it also includes

- Halo Nightfall: A feature film length episodic show detailing the origins of one of the lead characters of Halo 5.
- A 3 week long Halo 5 beta starting in December.

It's a bit more than just a remake.

The menu system alone makes it more than "just a remake"

I'm using myself as an example of a gamer reasoning where to put his money based on what's available.

I'm not really interested in comparative pieces/ pissing contests. Microsoft has a rock solid line up. Some good variety but maybe lacking in indies. Nothing to fret over, I'd be satisfied if only owned an X1.

Sony's major first party landmarks this year off the top of my head have been Second Son, TLOU and DRIVECLUB.

One was highly enjoyable but barebones, the other is diamond in the rough... rough.

TLOU though, I don't particularly give too much credit to simply based on the principle that is a "too soon" rehash to plug a hole. In spite of how challenging it was to port over, that doesn't make it an original next gen game.

TLOU could have been a bullet point for their streaming service (PSNow), not their entire console.

From a consumer's point of view, your views are perfectly understandable.

From the developer's perspective, I think Naughty Dog simply didn't have the time nor resources to invest in prototyping a method to migrate their existing development tools over to the PS4. So it makes sense to take the most recent internally-documented product and basically use it as a guinea pig to migrate the rest of the development environment.

It would be like trying to migrate an existing software build process from IBM ClearCase to a build process that no longer uses ClearCase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom