• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

/v/GAs 2013 - Voting has begun!

NotLiquid

DerZuhälter;95703511 said:
I'm surprised about the lack of GTA V in any "worst" category. But those Grammy awards are something else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUyNEIsJ7Tk

I would wager it's cause there was not really anything objectively bad about GTA V, particularly compared to GTA IV. The characters is the closest thing I can think of since they're amoral and completely unlikable, but they were salvaged by stellar writing and voice acting.

/v/GAs have acknowledged some pretty popular games as great in the past. Deus Ex Human Revolution won their GOTY two years ago.

Smurf

Banned
Their award selections in the past have mostly been very good, it's a genuinely community driven award show which gives it more weight than most.
If you can look past the categories deliberately created to slate particular games and the cringefest skits it's a worthwhile production.

Why is Bioshock Infinite listed in a lot of the "worst ___" categories?

/v/ has a huge hate boner for that game, mostly as a reaction of all the praise it got when it came out. That hate got even stronger since it was in many gaming personalities top 10 lists.

marrec

Banned
/v/ has a huge hate boner for that game, mostly as a reaction of all the praise it got when it came out. That hate got even stronger since it was in many gaming personalities top 10 lists.

There are a lot of things to not like about Infinite but seriously calling it the worst anything is clearly just a reaction to the hype it got at release.

Then again, there's very little that's serious about the /v/gas, so there's little point discussing them.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Half baked combat. Psuedo-intellectual story that makes no sense. Waifu magnet.

These things seem to bother /v/.

Don't forget that /v/ also dislikes it because it's highly linear, appeals to casuals, and focuses largely on cinematic presentation which is what everyone praised it for when gameplay is what makes a game (though good presentation is nice). Also they shrunk Elizabeth's boobs possibly as a response to feminist criticisms with regards to how she was dressed in early gameplay footage (although in the dlc they became big again) which of course elicited quite a vee pushback and provoked claims of Irrational pandering/being weak-kneed.

edit: also being linear isn't necessarily always bad to /v/, but Infinite lacks the same replay value that something like Metal Gear Rising or Dragon's Crown might have.

culafia

There are a lot of things to not like about Infinite but seriously calling it the worst anything is clearly just a reaction to the hype it got at release.

The award isn't "Worst." It's "Most Hated"

These are the games /v/ hated the most.

marrec

Banned
The award isn't "Worst." It's "Most Hated"

These are the games /v/ hated the most.

It's been nominated for most hated, worst gameplay, worst story, and setting a new standard of failure.

It's 'worst' for no critically sound reason. The gameplay is mediocre and it has a story that starts out well but ends poorly... otherwise it was pretty good.

Again though... there's no point in discussing their nominations seriously. The entire site lives off vitriol of anything popular.

It's probably the most serious award in the entire internet regarding videogames.

Okay.

I don't understand. Why make a thread about some other sites "video game of the year award"? Especially a site that doesn't like neogaf.

See Metal Gear?! Post

I still think the overlap is not that big as he thinks it is, but...

It's probably the most serious award in the entire internet regarding videogames.

That's why they have a category to just piss off Tumbler's Social Warriors.

Smurf

Banned
Why is Bioshock Infinite listed in a lot of the "worst ___" categories?

Nominees are from public nomination votes so you've got a mix of people nominating genuinely and those hate nominating a popular game they feel is overrated. It's not committee parsed or anything so there's inconsistencies with stuff like Infinite and TLOU being nominated at for awards at both ends of the spectrum.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Guys I'm here for the forum wars. I'm not late right?

Guys I'm here for the forum wars. I'm not late right?

Take a sit.

The hate it got was still mostly unwarranted. Same goes for Gone Home, TLOU, and GTAV.

I guess I'll take the bullet on this...

The awards are not meant to be taken seriously and just represent a way to mock all the media outlets that give GOTY's to games like GTA4, AC, COD, and.... well, basically they mock the whole industry.

Many of those "fat neckbeards" (like some champ in this very thread called them) in /v/, are among the few that don't put up with the shit that some publishers like Activision, EA, Ubisoft (to name some) keep releasing to the enlighted users that keep buying those monthly DLC Maps, or Horse Armour, or whatever you can think that pubs have released in this last 7 years that have made the industry a royal shithole.

But yeah, keep attacking the "awards" because "WHY IS BIOCHOCOLATE INFINITUM ON THE MOST HATED LIST!!!?" or "WHY IS TLOU ON MOST HATED AND MOST LIKED!?" and forget about the central point of all of this, which is to put a huge warning sign with big red lights and try to warn everybody about the actual state of the industry and why not, having some fun while doing that.

Ciastek3214

Went through the thread on /v/ and saw this again.

1388764581497.jpg

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
The hate it got was still mostly unwarranted. Same goes for Gone Home, TLOU, and GTAV.
un·war·rant·ed (n-wôrn-td, -wr-)
adj.
Having no justification; groundless: unwarranted interference. See Synonyms at baseless.

People have different tastes, that's justification enough. If it hadn't been for Dead Space 3 Bioshock would probably be my worst game of the year.

A lot of hateful stuff in the musical section.
If by hateful you mean hilarious I agree.

the production values are quite nice.

wow holy shit people in this thread are actually taking anything /v/ does seriously and without a grain of salt?

the whole essence of /v/ is basically tongue in cheek. and due to its anonymity and freedom to post, of course you will have any little opinion magnified. the thing is though, while /v/ can be grossly offensive (if you aren't familiar with the going ons), it can make for some of the most honest and raw views on gaming.

i specially love it when industry people post there and give an unadulterated inside view inside the workings of a vidya company.

Orayn

Gonna vote, but I'm not holding out a whole lot of hope for the show itself. Last year's /v/GAs were a complete trainwreck compared to the first; they dropped charismatic presenters in favor of a bunch of boring, mumbling nobodies and had more bumpers/skits than actual awards because they let every Tom, Dick, and Harry with Windows Movie Maker submit a video.

IHaveIce

Banned
Love how they pretend on /v/ nobody from here will be able to get their votes through.

Almost everyone by now knows you can't link from speficic sites and you should use the hidden link from them.

Orayn

...seriously, why promote it?

The slim, slim hope that the 2013 /v/GAs will be entertaining and high quality like the 2011 /v/GAs.

Also it's good to have alternative outlets like this. We need more and louder voices of dissent for some major topics, even if it means being a little contrarian and reactionary.

kewlmyc

The amount of hate going on in this thread is hilarious. /v/ wanted to make their own award show, and they succeeded. It's in its 3rd year, has a slick interface, and has some good laughs in some of the categories. The amount of hate /v/ gets is odd considering they're just like any other gaming community, but without any serious moderation (for better or worse).

The slim, slim hope that the 2013 /v/GAs will be entertaining and high quality like the 2011 /v/GAs.

Also it's good to have alternative outlets like this. We need more and louder voices of dissent for some major topics, even if it means being a little contrarian and reactionary.

This right here.

I won't say I even come close to agreeing with every voting category. However there are some good (and bad) games listed here that really deserve the attention.

culafia

I heard a couple of songs and they aren't well made so far.

They are incredibly well put together for people who have no equipment and little experience. Do you accept nothing less than them animating it themselves, hiring professional singers, and getting real writers to put together a multi-million dollar production? They're just a bunch of guys expressing their opinions through goofs.

Astarte

Another /v/gas? I hope slowbeef senpai is invited, or at least chip and ironicus. Skits are horribly unfunny though, don't think it's going to improve even if rockcock64 is there.
Set duke to narrate, leave nyanners out. Thank you.

DLaicH

I find it funny that people are getting discouraged about the URL referrer issue. As if it's that difficult to copy the URL and paste it into a new tab.

Mesoian

No one in the worst character catagory were bad characters. They were all good characters...

Another /v/gas? I hope slowbeef senpai is invited, or at least chip and ironicus. Skits are horribly unfunny though, don't think it's going to improve even if rockcock64 is there.
Set duke to narrate, leave nyanners out. Thank you.

Apparently after that video he made about the Mighty Number 9 thing, /v/ doesn't like slowbeef anymore.

Edit: A lot of these categories are garbage. Worst Console Launch? All three launches went off without major issue. And then you put the Ouya up, the console that has controllers that don't work.

Most of these categories just seem lazy. Doesn't bode well for this show actually being entertaining.

Wouldn't you get those dissenting voices without other websites voting in it?

I think the whole appeal of it was to get those "dissenting" voices without the "general public opinion" being in there.

Honestly, if Reddit or Gaf had a say in it, would there by a category that is voting for the "best representation of women" with all candidates being games with big breasted women or "whiny" characters?

Or maybe I'm just underestimating how many people would actually like to vote like that.

marrec

Banned
No one in the worst character catagory were bad characters. They were all good characters...

Edit: A lot of these categories are garbage. Worst Console Launch? All three launches went off without major issue. And then you put the Ouya up, the console that has controllers that don't work.

Most of these categories just seem lazy. Doesn't bode well for this show actually being entertaining.

According to some posters in this thread you shouldn't take it seriously, which is why it's the most serious thing ever.

And they're saving video games.

Because people like Call of Duty.

Thanks /v/.

Top Bottom